• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega AGES games on the Switch

Also, the Saturn version of Sega Rally had better handling than the arcade version but the arcade has better graphics. Therefore, they'd have to make an amalgamation of the two in order to do it justice. That would involve reprogramming the whole thing which would be too expensive.

If I ever become a billionaire this is the sort of thing I'm gonna spend my money on. Forget ending world hunger or landing on Mars, it's hi res, home versions of Sega Rally, Die Hard Arcade and the driving sections of Batman Returns on the Mega CD.

Kazza

The problem is that 1) the price for securing said licenses have most likely shot through the roof, and 2) far fewer copies of any videogame, e.g. Sega Rally, would be sold today than at the time of the original arcade & console releases.

A perfect example: back in 1992, Atari Corp paid $50K for the license to Batman Returns for their Atari Lynx videogame. How much do you think the Batman license will set you back today? Assuming that someone else doesn't have exclusive rights to it already?

I suspect that the licencing fee thing may be a little exaggerated. After all, Sega had two Disney games on their Mini console, so I don't think the fee mus have been that high. It also gives the licencee a little extra exposure (not that Disney IPs need it), so it's a win-win. In 1992 Batman returns was a hot licence as the movie had just come out, but now I think re-releasing say Batman Returns Megadrive edition wouldn't cost that much, as it can no longer be thought of as a tie-in.

Alien v Predator got a re-release recently on Capcom's own mini console, something which I don't think they would have done if the licencing was really expensive. That said, it's still likely a little more expensive than just releasing one of your company's old IPs, and with such a large number of their own games available I guess Sega and others don't think the extra little cost is worth it. It's a shame, there's a lot of licenced games that I would like to see re-releases of. A Jurassic Park ot Terminator or Batman collection including all 8/16-bit as well as arcade games would be great.

TriSuit666

Banned
The problem is that 1) the price for securing said licenses have most likely shot through the roof, and 2) far fewer copies of any videogame, e.g. Sega Rally, would be sold today than at the time of the original arcade & console releases.

A perfect example: back in 1992, Atari Corp paid $50K for the license to Batman Returns for their Atari Lynx videogame. How much do you think the Batman license will set you back today? Assuming that someone else doesn't have exclusive rights to it already?

Daytona BC was recently relisted and on sale on Xbox store. As recently as this month.

Birdo

Banned
I suspect that the licencing fee thing may be a little exaggerated.

Car licencing is a little different. They are dealing with car companies, rather than entertainment franchises.

This gen we have seen big games like Forza Horizon 1, 2, and DriveClub removed from digital stores. As well as classics like GTI Club and Outrun 2 last gen.

It's interesting that Daytona USA is back on the Xbox digital store (It was removed for a while). It looks like Sega renewed the Daytona branding........... So there is hope for an AGES version.

MrA

Banned
Also, the Saturn version of Sega Rally had better handling than the arcade version but the arcade has better graphics. Therefore, they'd have to make an amalgamation of the two in order to do it justice. That would involve reprogramming the whole thing which would be too expensive.

If I ever become a billionaire this is the sort of thing I'm gonna spend my money on. Forget ending world hunger or landing on Mars, it's hi res, home versions of Sega Rally, Die Hard Arcade and the driving sections of Batman Returns on the Mega CD.
The hero we need....

TriSuit666

Banned
I suspect that the licencing fee thing may be a little exaggerated. After all, Sega had two Disney games on their Mini console, so I don't think the fee mus have been that high. It also gives the licencee a little extra exposure (not that Disney IPs need it), so it's a win-win. In 1992 Batman returns was a hot licence as the movie had just come out, but now I think re-releasing say Batman Returns Megadrive edition wouldn't cost that much, as it can no longer be thought of as a tie-in.

Scud Race alone seems like a logistical nightmare. You'd need separate licenses from:

Renault (enemy cars are Renault Alpines)
Lamborghini (Sonic and Tails are sat in a Countach on the advert board on the Beginner day track)
Porsche/RUF (911 Yellow Bird)
Ferrari (F40)
McClaren (F1)
Dodge (Viper)

Also, the license for:
JAL (branded planes in the Beginner Night track)
NASA (potentially, the Shuttle on the Expert track)
FIA (for the BPR logos - actually, they're probably handling the car licenses)

That's off the top of my head, so there's probably more in there...

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wow, that kinda sucks. I guess sales didn't really go as well as they expected? Well at least we got a pretty awesome collection of games out of the effort.

Orta

Banned

Eagerly looking forward to the 'Sega Legacy' collection.

Starting with Altered Beast, then Space Harrier, then Sonic The Hedgehog, then Columns..........

Fucking hell Sega, pull your fingers out and get some Saturn stuff out next.

Kazza

TallIllustriousCub-size_restricted.gif

From the way they randomly trickled them out, it seems their heart wasn't really in it (Sega, not M2). I would be more upset if it weren't for the fact that that little arcade collection is coming out with the likes of Shadow Dancer/ Death Adder etc. Maybe the amount of time and effort spent by M2 on each individual game just isn't worth it from a sales point of view.

Unfortunate news. Sega really has an issue with this sort of thing. Remember Sega Forever? The Heritage Collection?

Last edited:

Hawk269

I am still in shock that they did not add proper on-line multiplayer for Virtua Racing. They did such a good job with the port it is a shame they never implemented at minimum 8 player MP.

Kokoloko85

So sega made another silly collection and ended up being the same megadrive stuff?

Im pretty sure they said they will keep adding stuff and maybe saturn and dreamcast stuff?

Why dont Sega make a digital like store or keep releasing these titles individually across all platforms.
And dont stop and Megadrive games.
Release the Saturn and Dreamcast games.

Who here uses twitter alot?
Maybe we can try a mass tweet/retweet to Sega to release Saturn and Dreamcast games and more Megadrive/Genisis titles?

Even if they get 10+ tweets on the same day for while they might get the message? Or block us lol

Ban Puncher

Was looking forward to more Sega arcade game being ported by M2, especially after their rock solid Virtua Racing release.

But there goes any chance of an M2 Sega AGES Virtual On (outside of the Japan only Sega Ages 2500 PS2 release).

tumblr_o96d3ff5la1t63sglo1_500.gif

Last edited:

Kazza

Was looking forward to more Sega arcade game being ported by M2, especially after their rock solid Virtua Racing release.

But there goes any chance of an M2 Sega AGES Virtual On (outside of the Japan only Sega Ages 2500 PS2 release).

tumblr_o96d3ff5la1t63sglo1_500.gif

I'm pretty sure that an arcade perfect port is already available on Xbox

Ban Puncher

I'm pretty sure that an arcade perfect port is already available on Xbox
Yes, it's available digitally for Xbox 360 and PS3 (and the 360 version is backwards compatible with the Xbox One) but only in Japan. You can certainly use a Japanese account to download them but it would have been nice to have had a more modern port by M2 with seven years worth of emulation improvements, and possibly including some of the special features they did for their PS2 Sega Ages 2500 release, and available for download worldwide just for ease of access.

There is that Virtual On Masterpiece Collection that was released on PSN for PS4 late last year that includes the original arcade game but again, Japan only.

Can always play it in Yakuza Kiwami 2 though!

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yes, it's available digitally for Xbox 360 and PS3 (and the 360 version is backwards compatible with the Xbox One) but only in Japan. You can certainly use a Japanese account to download them but it would have been nice to have had a more modern port by M2 with seven years worth of emulation improvements, and possibly including some of the special features they did for their PS2 Sega Ages 2500 release, and available for download worldwide just for ease of access.

There is that Virtual On Masterpiece Collection that was released on PSN for PS4 late last year that includes the original arcade game but again, Japan only.

Can always play it in Yakuza Kiwami 2 though!
Are you talking about the first game specifically or just a VO game? the 360 game is OT and it’s definitely not Japan only.

Bullet Club

SEGA on which games were most popular in the SEGA Ages series on Switch

FOSe8XT.png

Now that the SEGA Ages Switch series has come to an end, Famitsu recently held an interview looking back with key members of staff. During the discussion, the developers were asked about the popularity of the games in Japan and overseas. Everyone seemed to have different answers, but they referenced some data to back their thoughts up, too.

Included in the interview are Rieko Kodama (producer/director), Yosuke Okunari (supervisor), and Tsuyoshi Matsuoka (M2 director).

Check out our translation of the excerpt below.

Looking back, which of these titles have received the greatest response so far?[/QUOTE]

Kodama: In Japan, it’s definitely Virtua Racing. In addition to the sales numbers, I believe that everyone was able to see the technical capabilities of M2. And I think it showed off how SEGA was already making the most advanced products (polygonal games) at the time.

For overseas, it’s more diverse. However, in terms of sales, Sonic the Hedgehog was by far the biggest seller. The second most popular title was OutRun – especially in Europe.

Okunari: Following the releases of the SEGA 3D Classics games, OutRun was highly acclaimed in Europe. In Japan, the two Puyo Puyo games also received high praise. It seems some very loyal fans bought the SEGA Ages installment of the game even though they had the newest version.

Kodama: But both abroad and in Japan, Virtua Racing received an enormous response on social media.[/QUOTE]

Matsuoka: But in terms of the number of tweets, Fantasy Zone was actually more popular than Virtua Racing. In addition to having a dedicated fan base, the SEGA Ages version had a new time attack mode. That seemed to get people very excite about the game.

The SEGA Ages Switch line ended with a total of 19 games. The last release was Herzog Zwei on September 24.

Source: Nintendo Everything

Erdrick

Just finished watching this, myself. It made me really want Galaxy Force 2 or Thunder Blade. Wish After Burner 2 made it, but licensing issues I guess? I've got Outrun, TF 3 AC, TF4 and PS1 for games from this. The others... I didn't need more versions of Sonic 1 and 2. Nor more Puyo Puyo and as Joe said, seeing VR there... I would have more liked to see VF1 done with a 60FPS frame rate or something. I do hope they do more stuff like this in some form, as I'll be honest, PS1 in this form was one of the reasons I wanted a Switch in the first place. It's really a great version and definitely superiour to the SMS version we know here. I guess it was too much to ask to finally get the PS1 and PS2 remakes that were done for the Playstation 2 years ago.

Time will tell if anything else hits, I guess.

Top Bottom