• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA announces Ghost Squad for the Wii with NO online play

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Namomura said:
first screens

http://www.jeux-france.com/images_5848.html

58481520070510_191914_4_big.jpg

Looks like shat compared to the Arcade Version.

Hopefully it gets cleaned up in the future.

Heidir

La nota más impactante es la confirmación de un modo de juego online para "poner a prueba la habilidad frente a otros jugadores". = online play.

Jim

Official PR... no mention of online anything.
It ain't playable online. It's multiplayer for 4 people on one Wii.

SEGA DEPLOYS THE GHOST SQUAD FOR THE WII

Popular Anti-Terrorism Arcade Shooter Adds New Genre to SEGA’s Library of Innovative Wii Titles

SEGA of America, Inc. today announced the development of Ghost Squad for the Wii Console. Developed by SEGA’s AM2 arcade division, Ghost Squad became a smash hit upon release and was the top-earning arcade gun game in 2005 for SEGA’s arcade division. The Wii version brings the arcade experience home and adds a number of new Wii-specific gameplay modes and features. The game features the use of the Wii Remote as a multi-purpose tool that allows players to easily control the targeting of on-screen enemies, defuse bombs, and rescue hostages. The battle to eradicate global threats in Ghost Squad begins Holiday 2007.

With a squad of three others, players will traverse three different mission areas each comprised of multiple levels, unlocking 25 high-powered weapons as they progress. Within each level there are a series of selectable alternate routes that will provide the gamer with increasing challenges as enemies attack from unexpected places. Weapon selection is varied across a wide array of weapon types ranging from machine guns, submachine guns, pistols, sniper rifles, shotguns, and even crossbows. Ghost Squad will feature an Arcade mode, a Multiplayer mode for up to four players, and more!

“Ghost Squad brings the classic light gun blaster experience that SEGA made popular in the arcades to the Wii,” said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President of Marketing, SEGA of America, Inc. “With a more robust multiplayer experience than even the arcade version and numerous unlockable items and stages adding replay value, Ghost Squad will be the ultimate shooter experience for the Nintendo Wii console.”

The world in Ghost Squad is overrun with terrorism, affecting all corners of the globe. In an effort to combat the malicious plans of the terrorist groups, the U.N. created the Global Humanitarian-Operation and Special Tactics Squad aka “Ghost Squad.” This team of elite soldiers is comprised of the “best of the best” from both domestic and foreign military and special operations forces. Ghost Squad missions involve entering a situation with stealth, executing extreme prejudice upon terrorist subjects, and leaving a target area with no trace of their prior presence.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
HOLY **** I NEED A WII

AND WITH ONLINE PLAY

HOLY SHIT

BUT I WANT A REAL LIGHT GUN ARGH

LIGHT GUN DEFENSE FORCE ASSEMBLE

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
drohne said:
i always wanted to try the arcade version, but i never found a cabinet -- i remember hearing really good things about it. if they release a lightgun peripheral or make the wand behave like a lightgun, this is the biggest inducement to buy a wii yet. for me.

Not sure if the games are standardized across locations, but my local Dave and Busters has a linked cab setup (Islandia if you live anywhere near the tri-state area), so you might want to try going to one.

Surprised that HOTD4 wasn't announced yet. First thing I thought of was Wii when I saw the shaking you had to do in certain parts.

Holy **** that's awesome.

I've played a bit of the arcade version. It's pretty damn swell and the gun is perhaps the best I've ever used in a lightgun game(provides a very nice kick, multiple ways of holding it, etc)

Course this game requires a gun, Not interesting in Wiimote point&kill or that awful looking "gun" Nintendo showed at one time or another.

Anyway like duckroll mentioned the game has a handful of gimmicks. For example in some areas you'll get attacked by some terrorist holding a knife or other melee weapon. You will then have to point the gun and click on designated points(like maybe the thug's hand to disarm his weapon) and so on. Failure results in lost life, success..well you get the idea. Also the bosses are far different from the usual "shoot some big guy 3532532 times to kill him" in lightgun shooters. One boss you have to take down with a single bullet.

Throw in tons of difficulty settings, multiple weapons, customizable avatars, and some pretty badass lightgun action and you have a classic.

Haven't played Virtua Cop 3 but yeah whatever.

....Those screenshots look terrible btw.

EDIT: Okay WTF the game can not seriously look this bad. I'm sticking with the "bad screenshots" line but the Wii is as powerful as an Xbox right? It should have no problems(then again I'm taking a shot in the dark but doesn't the Chihiro have more ram than the Xbox?) regardless I expect better.

And HOTD4 Wii would just piss me off. That game runs on VF5 hardware and even then there are still issues of slowdown. If Sega can't even pull off an arcade perfect port of this old game they should stay as far away as possible from the idea of putting HOTD4 on the Wii.

Linkup

Pretty sure I played this at the arcade and it was online their also, I believe. If it's decent I'll get it, we need more light gun games.

shuri

Banned
That game was C grade at most in the arcade. Not a bad game, but it's just eh; it's just there and when you get killed, you really dont care enought to continue.

I wouldnt see myself paying full price for that game, at all.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Red Blaster said:
Arcade version was awesome.

Edit: Jeez, graphics took a hit. wtf

What was the arcade board used for it?

If it was the Lindberg one, then I am not surprised. If it is the Chihiro one, then I am disappointed to no ends.

neo2046

Hcoregamer00 said:
What was the arcade board used for it?

If it was the Lindberg one, then I am not surprised. If it is the Chihiro one, then I am disappointed to no ends.
Chihiro

Beaten so uh I'll say something else.

Honestly looking at the other screens the game looks about right on with the arcade version. Course if they goof the framerate then there'll be hell to pay.

58481520070510_191916_8_big.jpg

Jammy

Banned
Hmm... I hope the graphics get bumped up a tad to look like the original, but still, it's not like the difference between Wii and PS3, amirite? :)

Wii is really looking like the system to own if you're into arcade games. Metal Slug Anthology, Excite Truck, this, RE: UC, etc. just seem like a perfect fit.

Sega > S-E
Their support for the Wii has been unrivaled. It's really odd that I'm saying this, but Sega knows what games fit the Wii gameplay/audience-wise, and it's good to see them giving so many exclusives out.

58481520070510_191916_9_big.jpg

Stupid enemy placements..

anyways, it doesn't look too bad.. but not great either, i only played this game once in the arcades, but i like arcade shooters, so i give this a rent in the future.

dili

58481520070510_191916_9_big.jpg

WOW it looks worse then the arcade version wich wasen't even visually impressive.

Wii killed Ghost Squad

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regardless of the graphics, the fact this is getting a home port, with online play no less, is FAAAAN-TASTIC.

Virtua Cop 3 next, PREASE!!!

edit: appearently, that is what the arcade version looks like.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
flipping_heck said:
Stupid enemy placements..

Nothing wrong with it...that's towards the end of the first level where the enemies run out of the buildings

:Motorbass said:
Hmmmm. No crosshair??
They better make a real light gun. Not this stick a Wiimote in a gun shell BS. Some parts of the game has a cursor and when you pick up a laser sight power up

Honestly I think these are just bad screencaps. There's no downgrade here.

:Motorbass said:
I know but how will that work out on the Wii? Calibration... Sit still? Don't leave your playing position?

I'm hoping there's a chance of a gun being released but going out to buy four guns wouldn't exactly sell the four-player multiplayer very well.

So yeah probably one of the options you listed. I'm sure there'll also be an option to turn on crosshairs(though that would get ridiculous with four players..meh)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
HOLY SHIT GHOST SQUAD OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

CaVaYeRo

Ok, the English PR seems far more accurate about the online thing:

Players can also track their personal performances against other players via the Wii’s online functionality.

So it's not co-op as guessed.

Edit: and thanks for the title change, Spanish PR's fault, sorry.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Honestly I think these are just bad screencaps. There's no downgrade here.
Bad screencaps?! People just throw that around as an excuse when a game fails to impress. Look, those Wii shots are perfectly clear and lacking any compression artifacts. The areas falling under critique wouldn't exactly be impacted by a poor capture either (textures and lighting). What exactly would make you think they are bad screencaps?

The game simply doesn't look as good as the arcade game at this point and that's all there is to it. Hopefully it will improve (and still run at 60 fps).

Linkup

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah this basically confirms that the Wii can't even handle XBOX ports.

...sure thing.

Wario64 said:
They better make a real light gun. Not this stick a Wiimote in a gun shell BS. Some parts of the game has a cursor and when you pick up a laser sight power up

That's exactly what you'll get.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I just hope they're putting more content to this game that they haven't announced yet. 4 player multiplayer sounds cool. But this game really needs extra content. A single run through in this game is like 15-20 minutes...probably one of the shortest light gun games out there. But it makes up for it with multiple difficulties + multiple paths, but still...hopefully it has extra levels

CurseoftheGods said:
Did anyone play the arcade version? Does it look as bad as the screen shots from the Wii port?

Plenty of times. And it still looks awesome and no it does not look as bad as the screenshots.

No lightgun is losing the experience though. The lightgun for this game was pretty cool since it's an semi-auto machine gun, not a pistol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
CurseoftheGods said:
Did anyone play the arcade version? Does it look as bad as the screen shots from the Wii port?
Yes, I've played the arcade version and yes it looks quite a bit better. I mean, it's not an incredible looking game by any stretch, but it's nowhere near that ugly either.

Top Bottom