• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA announces Ghost Squad for the Wii with NO online play

CaVaYeRo

- 4 game modes: training, "special", multiplayer and arcade
- a version from the arcade (edited :p)
- online rankings:
"Players can also track their personal performances against other players via the Wii’s online functionality. "
- 25 weapons

link

d[-_-]b

Banned
shit you know you're in trouble when sega is releasing games for your console.
bailout.jpg
for the retarded, yes sarcasm, I know it's usual for us to make fun games that we have played but it just felt right with sega

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I guess we'll finally find out if the wii can do light gun games.

My bet is no, but lets wait and see. I'd hope for Sega to release a light gun for it as long as it was HDTV compatible.

duckroll

Ghost Squad is a gun shooter for the arcades. It's pretty decent, but I prefer Virtua Cop 3 much more. Ghost Squad has more "gimmicks" similar to Confidential Misison, so maybe it's more suited for the Wii?

d[-_-]b said:
shit you know you're in trouble when sega is releasing games for your console.
bailout.jpg
for the retarded, yes sarcasm, I know it's usual for us to make fun games that we have played but it just felt right with sega
You mean you know you are in trouble when Sega is making an online game for the Wii, when other companies seem incapable of doing so.

Rlan

I remember this being a pretty damn awesome looking game. It was based on the Chihiro [Xbox] board, I think.

screen01e.gif

Online mode!!! Hopefully it's actual Co-Op and just rankings.

Virtua Cop 1 + 2 + 3 next please!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
mrklaw said:
So I guess we'll finally find out if the wii can do light gun games.

My bet is no, but lets wait and see. I'd hope for Sega to release a light gun for it as long as it was HDTV compatible.

I'm sure it will use a cursor.

Online play is great since in the arcade it used link machines if I remember correctly. Different paths for each player I think too.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i always wanted to try the arcade version, but i never found a cabinet -- i remember hearing really good things about it. if they release a lightgun peripheral or make the wand behave like a lightgun, this is the biggest inducement to buy a wii yet. for me.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
The arcade had and online mode for international rankings. Maybe that's what they're doing with the Wii version... let's hope it's something more!

ghostsquad.jpg
ghostsquad_b.jpg

ghostsquad_a.jpg
ghostsquad_c.jpg

Shots from the arcade version. Funny thing is that the game was running on the Chihiro board (the arcade version of Xbox).

I hope this is first stone to bringing some shooting classics to the system.

The cabinet for curious people.

ghostsquad.gif

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
A light gun game, with online (It has to be co-op) mode? Day one, Day ****ing one, Sega, for once, you have made me very happy, now, go make it, can't take you too long, it's only a conversion after all, :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sega has been aces so far with its Wii support.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Bo130 said:
Is this the beginning of more announcements? (refering to the SEGA event this week, of course)

That's what I'm hoping..I assume the event is today.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Ghost Squad was ****ing brilliant.

Rock hard light gun shooter with multiple paths, unlockable guns and Virtua Cop costume when you got pretty far in it. You'd save progress and experience with those credit card things.

Pretty chuffed for this actually.

CaVaYeRo

Bo130 said:
Is this the beginning of more announcements? (refering to the SEGA event this week, of course)

well, the PR included some other announcements, but I haven't mentioned them since they're not Wii related:

Happy Tree friends - PC / XBLA
SEGA and Gass powered info
Universe at war:earth assault for the 360
Condemned 2: Bloodshot PS3-360, 2008

It didn't have Ghost Squad pics.

EDIT: and it doesn't say online co-op play, but "check you abilities against other players thanks to Wii's on-line play capabilities"

hyp

woo hoo, this is gonna rock. glad to see them finally adding some light-gun style shooters to the wii.

izakq

Conrad Link said:
Wtf is online play?!?

I was just going to ask that.

The compare stats or whatever against other players is nice, but hopefully this will have online co-op. Please!

Evlar

Banned
Nice. I haven't played a lightgun game in ages. Probably longer than some people here have been alive. If this turns out really great I might actually pick it up.

Ramenman

EDIT: and it doesn't say online co-op play, but "check you abilities against other players thanks to Wii's on-line play capabilities"

Ok, so nothing interesting confirmed.

I knew it :(

CaVaYeRo

izakq said:
I was just going to ask that.

The compare stats or whatever against other players is nice, but hopefully this will have online co-op. Please!

it's not stats or anything, sorry for my English. This is the official statement:

El usuario podrá, además, poner a prueba su habilidad frente a otros jugadores a través de la capacidad de juego online de Wii.

It could be co-op, of course.

I've also noticed on the IGN videos that this is not so"classic lightgun", you always see a pointer on screen during the action.

Krowley

A light gun game would be a good genre for online ranking, so that's a cool addition.

The wiimote will make it pretty close to light gun gaming even with a cursor, especially if they have a hypersensitive cursor that shakes with every motion of the hand.

Ramenman

El usuario podrá, además, poner a prueba su habilidad frente a otros jugadores a través de la capacidad de juego online de Wii.

now THIS sounds like online play.

Still vague though, and if it's not Co-op I don't really see what "online play" can be in a light gun game.

Top Bottom