• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Announces New Corporate Identity Based on the “Amazing SEGA” Concept

jetsetrez

Please Sega, be amazing again. :( Sega burned the brightest in the industry for a short period of time.

Also, man, Nagoshi looks like such a boss. Looks like he should star in Yakuza himself.

Trojan X

Banned
Are they gonna start making games again?

No. The video doesn't communicate that. The video communicates what the ad agency's hired creative team did to get that new Sega corporate jingle. The video has nothing to do with games at all. I mentioned here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=237344037&postcount=100

and here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=237242421&postcount=78

It's sad as this has given Sega a bad reputation in regards to "gaming fun" here in Japan. Again, the video does not communicate what makes SEGA amazing so it's taken as SEGA blowing a trumpet that has no air coming out.

Sega died long time ago.
Not a Yakuza fan
How many people usually stand around after funerals, for years?

We're going to make a new Sonic. (It sucks)
We're going to make a new Sonic again (It sucks)
We're going to make a new Sonic once more (It sucks)

Sega died long time ago.
Not a Yakuza fan
How many people usually stand around after funerals, for years?

We're going to make a new Sonic. (It sucks)
We're going to make a new Sonic again (It sucks)
We're going to make a new Sonic once more (It sucks)

that's true they made three bad sonic games and NO good ones and nothing else
except for their consistently excellent decade long franchise but let's not count that because of personal taste

Svejk

I hope Sonic Forces isn't the flagship game for "Amazing SEGA".. Please, SEGA... do us right... truly listen to the fans...
**Cough COUGHPANZER DRAGOON... EHHMHMMHPHANTASY STAROUTRUN.

Dreamcast 2 do it!

giphy.gif

Their PC efforts as of late have been pretty... amazing.

Sega is going to run out of games to port soon.

sibarraz

Banned
It put an smile on my face that they were testing the reactions of a kid while playing sonic racing transformed

I will take this as a confirmation that a sequel is coming soon

Jubenhimer

This new direction Sega seems to be going in sounds pretty ambitious, and possibly a good thing. This whole "Surprising consumers" speak makes it sound like Sega wants to return to being they bold, experimental developer they used to be. But of course, actions speak louder than words, so let's see if Sega can deliver.

IrishNinja

BLUE SKIES 4 EVER

as a diehard sega fan, i literally can't wait. we're getting details on the next yakuza at the end of the month, i wanna say naghoshi is said to be working on something else too...?

I dig it. I'm more jazzed about Sega these days than I've been in a long time.

same - i kept saying how last gen was their finest work post-dreamcast, and the revival of classic franchises like Wonder Boy, Toejam & Earl etc are great nods to old fans as well

They should have resurrected Segata Sanshiro.

they gotta save that for the Saturn mini, holiday 2018
made by ATgames, please be excited

this is not up for nagoshi-ation

sadly this

Sega is going to run out of games to port soon.

they actually aren't, but i think that post may've been about relic/etc

IrishNinja

But SEGA has always been amazing.

strong +1

Just to be clear to everyone. That video, the one talking about tracking eye movement and so on, it got nothing to do with games. It's just communicating what they, the ad-agency/creators did to get the SOUNDS in order to create SEGA's new - and rough sounding - new company jingle (below). This is used as SEGA's new Corporate Identity. It got nothing to do with the delivery of new games and so on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LilsZkQkdo

Again. I think SEGA are way off on this one as it's massively unrealistic and disconnected from their fans and core audience. I think this is the wrong message as explained earlier and communicate nothing about fun or what video gaming is all about. No way will this bring people back to SEGA either, in fact, many Japanese find this pretty lame as it doesn't give SEGA the impressive of being a "fun" company. So yup, I'm disappointed with this.

that's...an awful lot of a take based on a 5 second thing, no?

They're still proud of goddamn Sonic 4.

....are they? i've not heard a mention of it, like we were all collectively forgetting about that. Mania looks like the 4 we wanted

Same Sega

Same Shit

Different "Resurrection" pitch

When they start churning out good games and not treating their fans like shit, then maybe people would actually believe anything they say

again, last gen was their best outpout post dreamcast...and even niche stuff still sees release here, albeit with some help sometimes. how are they "treating their fans like shit" exactly?

Amazing Sega?
That must mean that they finally murdered Sonic and that their future output will only consist of new installments of Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Jet Set Radio, Panzer Dragoon and Phantasy Star.

ya'll stay wanting new chapters of classic series when much of the staff behind those are long gone, ill never get that

SOR - almost became fighting force (ugh), make sure to go look up Paprium though
Shinobi - got a solid 3DS title but it's been a minute, yeah. platinum would be great here though
JSR - sadly the HD port was poorly received (along with NiGHTS HD) so that kinda borked their plans to port more classics, i don't expect much on this front for a while after that
Panzer - i don't even remember who's left from andromeda/smilebit now
PS - the series itself concluded as good as any JRPG series ive seen with part IV. i'd be down for more stuff in that universe but when that team did their own thing, we got Skies of Arcadia. i'd like more new stuff, but god knows porting PSO 2.0 would be nice

Like go third party.

That goes out to my peeps in 2001.

the soul still burns

Segagaga 2 incoming?

fuck, part 1 is still at the top of my list for most wanted fan translations, still bummed that one's not seen progress in years!

ArjanN

they gotta save that for the Saturn mini, holiday 2018
made by ATgames, please be excited

Nah, bringing back Segata Sanshiro is a terrible idea, because it ruins the great sendoff they gave the character. At best you could do Segata Sanshiro Jr. or something.

IrishNinja

Nah, bringing back Segata Sanshiro is a terrible idea, because it ruins the great sendoff they gave the character. At best you could do Segata Sanshiro Jr. or something.

totally agreed, but i just wanted to run with the joke of ATgames releasing a saturn mini with the bad port of VF, Croc, Bug & a copy of Panzer Saga that crashes at startup

Amazing Sega means to me:

Amazing High Tech graphics
Amazing Art Styles
Amazing Ideas
Amazing fun

Since arcades untill Xbox Sega. Pretty amazing all around

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Amazing Sega?
That must mean that they finally murdered Sonic and that their future output will only consist of new installments of Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Jet Set Radio, Panzer Dragoon and Phantasy Star.

Yes.
No need to murder Sonic. Just murder Sonic Team then give Sonic to a dev with talent and confidence.

Zukkoyaki

Sega needs to go HAM at this year's Tokyo Game Show. Year of dreams!

Nagoshi and his Yakuza team working on Kiwami 2 and a new IP
Virtua Fighter 6 at last
Phantasy Star V from Tri-Ace with an actual budget
SMT HD is actually Shin Megami Tensei V and is multiplatform

:D:D:D:D

Obviously this is all fan fiction but honestly, they're all plausible

IrishNinja

No need to murder Sonic. Just murder Sonic Team then give Sonic to a dev with talent and confidence.

let's see how Mania goes first, eh?

Phantasy Star V from Tri-Ace with an actual budget

ew, do not want
but Kiwami 2? yes please!

All I want is Skies of Arcadia. Is that too much to ask, amazing Sega?

again, we almost had an HD version, but JSR & NiGHTS HD sold like buttcakes so here we are man

Aki-at

Sega has always been good at publishing hits. But as 1st party developers? Nah. I don't care about how many times they port their old hits to revive the cash flow either. And for every great game they publish that earns them bank (Persona, Hatsune, Yakuza), there are just as many amazing titles from developers that they leave in the dust (Valkyria Chronicles, Bayonetta), or they just flat-out ignore entire regions.

But all of that aside...I will never forgive Sega for how they treated the Phantasy Star Online/Universe/Portable playerbase. Not even going to go into details, but if you ever played PSOBB or especially Phantasy Star Universe, then you'd understand just how surprisingly few fucks Sega gives about its playerbase. If you think being a Sonic fan has been tough...boy.

The whole thing about "Sega of America" vs. "Sega of Japan" is bullshit too, i hear that crop up alot. The whole company has historically been really fucking grimy. It's a pity they have such a good eye for publishing habits.

I don't get the first point about first party developers? Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios (Yakuza) AM2 (Hatsune Miku Future Tone) Sonic Team (Puyo Puyo Tetris) P Studio (Persona 5) Relic (Dawn of War 3) are all wholly owned subsidiaries of SEGA. 3 of which Sega has owned in their entire history, the other two they purchased when their owners' went bankrupt/found doing some dodgy financial dealings. Unless they don't really excite you, I don't know how you can say they don't have a great first party line up.

The team behind Valkyria still exists within Sega, although and the majority are still Sega employees as far as I know when their name pops up in interviews. Platinum is a definite shame though, but it's not like they didn't have a good deal with Sega (Who still funded most of their games and let them make new IPs constantly) it just happened to be that the combined failure of Vanquish, Binary Domain and a couple other games finally broke the camel's back.

As for Phantasy Star, it's well known how the series has been treated, I just don't see how this should negatively tar everything in a bad lightly. Phantasy Star Online 2 is a terrible mistake and decisions but it doesn't mean the company hasn't made strives in a good direction with better quality control, investment in it's developers/first party and localising almost everything on their plate.

IrishNinja

As for Phantasy Star, it's well documented the tomfoolery that went behind the scenes, I just don't see how this should negatively tar everything in a bad lightly. Phantasy Star Online 2 is a terrible mistake and decisions but it doesn't mean the company hasn't made strives in a good direction with better quality control, investment in it's developers/first party and localising almost everything on their plate.

what's the story on this?

Aki-at

what's the story on this?

Massively behind on updates, not releasing all the Phantasy Star Portable games in the West (Second game was a failure I believe) and Phantasy Star Online 2 localisation still "happening" except it's not. I should edit my post, makes it sound like we knew what happened at SEGA in regards to the franchise :p

Top Bottom