• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega announces "SEGA Vintage Collection 2" for XBLA, PSN. Gunstar with online play!

Jim

Yes!

Couple screens soon, but they are nothing special. Besides Gunstar Heroes, the rest I have in Sonic's Collection, so not sure if I care.

SEGA Vintage Collection 2 (Available Summer 2009 on XBLA & PSN)
This Summer, you will be able to individually download 7 classics from SEGA's archive!

New Features Include:

Re-worked for High-Definition
Online Leaderboards
Network Play (Excludes Phantasy Star II, Shinobi, Comix Zone)

Gunstar Heroes (XBLA & PSN) – The classic side scrolling shooter from the SEGA Genesis returns to captivate fans new and old with its non-stop action and cooperative play.

Altered Beast (XBLA) – "Rise from your Grave" as the original Genesis launch game is reborn and comes to a new generation of gamers. Battle hordes of undead warriors and monsters as you return to battle in order to save Zeus' daughter Athena.

Shinobi (arcade) (XBLA) – Battle your way through the "Ring of Five" as you save hostages with your ninja abilities.

Comix Zone (XBLA) – The game features an innovative art style that transports players directly into the panels of a comic as they fight their way to save a world from destruction as Sketch Turner. Everything from the speech bubble text, level design, and the revolutionary graphics scream COMIX!

Phantasy Star 2 (XBLA) – SEGA's classic RPG which expanded on the success of the first with its epic storyline and battle system.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (XBLA) – The game that introduced Knuckles the Echidna comes to a new generation of gamers as Sonic explores Angel Island and discovers the true power of the Master Emerald. Speed through each level at lightning speeds as either Sonic or Tails as you foil Dr. Eggman’s in his new Death Egg station.

And Coming late Summer 2009!

Sonic and Knuckles (XBLA) – Picking up where Sonic the Hedgehog 3 left off, players can now play as Knuckles for the first time. In addition, if players already have Sonic the Hedgehog 3 or Sonic 2 in their library, they will be able to access the lock-on bonus content for each game for the very first time since the days of the SEGA GENESIS! This allows for gamers to play Sonic 2 & 3 as Knuckles!

Y2Kev said:
ALTERED BEASTTttttt 360 EXCLUSIVE

if by exclusive you mean "has been playable on Ps2's and BC Ps3's for a long time now" then sure :lol

WTF why not release ALL of them on PSN too. Bullshit.

because they were already released on the sega genesis collection a long time ago.

1. Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle Released in 1989
2. Altered Beast (Genesis/Mega Drive and Arcade versions), Released in 1989
3. Bonanza Bros. Released in 1990
4. Columns Released in 1990
5. Comix Zone Released in 1995
6. Decap Attack Released in 1991
7. Ecco the Dolphin Released in 1993
8. Ecco: The Tides of Time Released in 1994
9. Ecco Jr. Released in 1995
10. Flicky Released in 1991
11. Gain Ground Released in 1991
12. Golden Axe Released in 1989
13. Golden Axe II Released in 1991
14. Golden Axe III Released in 1993
15. Kid Chameleon Released in 1992
16. Phantasy Star II Released in 1989
17. Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom Released in 1991
18. Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium Released in 1994
19. Ristar Released in 1995
20. Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi (unavailable in the PAL version) Released in 1990
21. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master Released in 1993
22. Sonic The Hedgehog Released in 1991
23. Sonic The Hedgehog 2 Released in 1992
24. Super Thunder Blade Released in 1988
25. Sword of Vermilion Released in 1990
26. Vectorman Released in 1995
27. Vectorman 2 Released in 1996
28. Virtua Fighter 2 (Genesis/Mega Drive version) Released in 1996

It's cheap enough that if you were really interested, you'd probably already have it TBH

edit: that compilation is missing a few, but that's not the only genesis collection. They're all out there somewhere, I'm pretty sure

BiggNife

In addition, if players already have Sonic the Hedgehog 3 or Sonic 2 in their library, they will be able to access the lock-on bonus content for each game for the very first time since the days of the SEGA GENESIS!

Uh. I guess they're pretending Sonic Mega Collection and Sonic Jam didn't exist?

But yeah online Gunstar Heroes is definitely a good thing

Raide

When they say "Re-worked for High-Definition" do they mean a smudgy vasaline filter or have they actually done a Capcom and redone the sprites? I am guessing smudgy. :lol

Gunstar Heroes XBLA. Online co-op. :D Day 1!

Manmademan said:
if by exclusive you mean "has been playable on Ps2's and BC Ps3's for a long time now" then sure :lol

because they were already released on the sega genesis collection a long time ago.

1. Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle Released in 1989
2. Altered Beast (Genesis/Mega Drive and Arcade versions), Released in 1989
3. Bonanza Bros. Released in 1990
4. Columns Released in 1990
5. Comix Zone Released in 1995
6. Decap Attack Released in 1991
7. Ecco the Dolphin Released in 1993
8. Ecco: The Tides of Time Released in 1994
9. Ecco Jr. Released in 1995
10. Flicky Released in 1991
11. Gain Ground Released in 1991
12. Golden Axe Released in 1989
13. Golden Axe II Released in 1991
14. Golden Axe III Released in 1993
15. Kid Chameleon Released in 1992
16. Phantasy Star II Released in 1989
17. Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom Released in 1991
18. Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium Released in 1994
19. Ristar Released in 1995
20. Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi (unavailable in the PAL version) Released in 1990
21. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master Released in 1993
22. Sonic The Hedgehog Released in 1991
23. Sonic The Hedgehog 2 Released in 1992
24. Super Thunder Blade Released in 1988
25. Sword of Vermilion Released in 1990
26. Vectorman Released in 1995
27. Vectorman 2 Released in 1996
28. Virtua Fighter 2 (Genesis/Mega Drive version) Released in 1996

It's cheap enough that if you were really interested, you'd probably already have it TBH
Haha, because that was a very serious looking post.

Foxtastical said:
Haha, because that was a very serious looking post.

and I posted the wrong collection to boot. I meant to post the sonic ultimate genesis collection, which does have all of the above. Downloadable to PSN would be nice, but with all these games already available in a compilation, what's the point

Manmademan said:
and I posted the wrong collection to boot. I meant to post the sonic ultimate genesis collection, which does have all of the above. Downloadable to PSN would be nice, but with all these games already available in a compilation, what's the point

So what, you don't want to pay $10 each for these?

Manmademan said:
I was talking about Kev's post. His over-the-top post that is rejoicing the exclusivveeeeeeeeeeeee arrival of Altered Beast on 360!

Everything except gunstar is already on the ps3/360 sonics genesis collection as well. Including arcade shinobi and arcade altered beast, forget the ps2 collections.

Please give us stuff you haven't rereleased several times over. Damn, Sega. Of course I'm part of the problem, I'll be buying Gunstar Heroes again for the 3rd time.

Foxtastical said:
I was talking about Kev's post. His over-the-top post that is rejoicing the exclusivveeeeeeeeeeeee arrival of Altered Beast on 360!

Oh ok lol. but yeah, this will be like the third time altered beast (genny and arcade) has been released in some kind of compliation. and you know what? altered beast sucks! of all the games to pick

Shinobi with leaderboards would be pretty swell.
Gunstar Heroes with leaderboards would be pretty pointless, same with online coop since it'll more likely result in your partner tossing you off a cliff repeatedly then you spend his life to get back into the game, then you both quit and never play online again...oh there will be lag too.

Everything else is a big "Why bother?" unless you're really hurting for packs of free 200 points for $5.

Manmademan said:
Oh ok lol. but yeah, this will be like the third time altered beast (genny and arcade) has been released in some kind of compliation. and you know what? altered beast sucks! of all the games to pick
Altered Beast is a piece of shit. Quite right there.

Jim said:
Some pretty bad Gunstar screens posted in OP. No idea why Sega chose those.

It's to give you the feeling of playing and seeing those blurry screens just like you did on a "vintage" 13 inch 80s era RCA console style television, just like back in the day. That's right, the one without composite cables, just the one coax plug

Oh yeah tossing your partner at bosses is like a win button in Gunstar Heroes. It does such immense damage that it renders strategies, skills, and the right weapon combination practically moot. Not that weapon combinations really matter anyway since all you really have to do is learn flame/laser and flame/homing without getting killed and you're neigh-invincible.

As much as I hate on Gunstar Super Heroes at least Treasure tried to make a well-designed game that time around.

(I still looooove Gunstar Heroes though)

Blueblur1

BiggNife said:
Uh. I guess they're pretending Sonic Mega Collection and Sonic Jam didn't exist?

But yeah online Gunstar Heroes is definitely a good thing
No, its probably written that way because the PR rep is a moron and didn't do any research on his own damn company before writing the press release.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So the ESRB removing the PSN rating for all the games BUT Gunstar Heroes wasn't a mistake.

ESRB is always right.

I'll be getting Gunstar for PS3, skipping the rest as I have the Genesis thing as well, and lock-on isn't tempting.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Llyranor said:
Please please please have good netcode for Gunstar Heroes.
It won't.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
As much as I hate on Gunstar Super Heroes at least Treasure tried to make a well-designed game that time around.
That game could have been top-tier if it hadn't been rushed out the door. GSH is just so uneven and there are so many telling signs that it's 70% complete at best.

Blueblur1 said:
No, its probably written that way because the PR rep is a moron and didn't do any research on his own damn company before writing the press release.
The lock-on stuff for S&K was not in Sonic's Genesis Collection.

I already picked up Gunstar Heroes when it was available on the Wii's VC, no need to double dip for me. Still great news for those who haven't picked it up yet in one form or another.

Sixfortyfive

sublime085 said:
The lock-on stuff for S&K was not in Sonic's Genesis Collection.
But it was in the other two compilations mentioned, so "first time since Genesis" is still lulz.

HUELEN10

Sixfortyfive said:
But it was in the other two compilations mentioned, so "first time since Genesis" is still lulz.
Heck, it was 3 compilations too! Sonic jam, Sonic Mega Collection, & Sonic Mega Colleciton +.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
GTFO altered beast haters, "(20) year old port" of #1 exclusive MUHAUA yet another exclusive for microsoft!!

Crisis

Banned
Finally. Took them long enough to announce it. And good work for including network play on Gunstar Heroes PSN.

Sega PR said:
In addition, if players already have Sonic the Hedgehog 3 or Sonic 2 in their library, they will be able to access the lock-on bonus content for each game for the very first time since the days of the SEGA GENESIS!
:lol

Sixfortyfive

Jazzem said:
I hope this also leads to the Virtual Console release of Sonic & Knuckles :)
Genesis VC ports are handled by a different company (M2). And thank god for that.

Top Bottom