• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Announces Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown for Xbox LIVE and PlayStation Network

-Mikey-

I'm excited for this. But as usual, they are probably sending this out at the wrong time..TT2, SFxT, SC5 and w/e I can't think of right now.

Suairyu

Banned
MarkMan said:
No one ever tells me things!
MarkMan - what PS3 stick do I want to buy for this?!

Do good sticks come in universal "works on both consoles" flavours?

-Mikey- said:
I'm excited for this. But as usual, they are probably sending this out at the wrong time..TT2, SFxT, SC5 and w/e I can't think of right now.
Virtua Fighter has, from its inception, been the defining 3D fighting game series. It might not always be the most popular, but the crowd it attracts is dedicated. Release dates mean nothing.

... but yeah, it would be nice for it to be released at a time where people unsure about the series are willing to give it a shot.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Capcom's going to be pissed when they find out Sega's letting the world know that they could've put all their rehashes on XBLA.
-Mikey- said:
How? A bunch of 60 dollar games versus a 15 AT MOST fully featured fighting game?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Suairyu said:
MarkMan - what PS3 stick do I want to buy for this?!

Do good sticks come in universal "works on both consoles" flavours?

For PS3, you can't go wrong with anything Sanwa. You can pick your poison... There's the TE stick (Mad Catz) or the V3SA (Hori).

If you want a stick that works for both, you have some options, the best option would be to get a Qanba QRAF4 3 In 1. It works for PC/PS3/360.

Suairyu

Banned
MarkMan said:
If you want a stick that works for both, you have some options, the best option would be to get a Qanba QRAF4 3 In 1. It works for PC/PS3/360.
Looks sexy - does it stack up well to the dedicated models by Hori and Catz? Or are you trading convenience for quality?

Suairyu

Banned
DonMigs85 said:
Will they enhance the visuals at all? I think the old 360 version got some improvements too.
You sure about that? I didn't notice much of a difference.

The animation system got a re-jigger in FS if I'm not mistaken, but purely aesthetic pretty-ness improvements are hardly the main priority in a goddamn SEGA 60fps arcade game.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Suairyu said:
Looks sexy - does it stack up well to the dedicated models by Hori and Catz? Or are you trading convenience for quality?

The QRAF 4 had the luxury of coming out after both Mad Catz's and Hori's latest offerings, so it borrows a LOT (if not all) of the unique features from aforementioned sticks. They use Sanwa parts and can easily be modded. You can't go wrong either way.

Personally, I like the weight/hand placement on the TE over the V3/VX SA. The Qanba is similar to the V3/VX as far as slant/hand placement goes.

Korez

RaptorJesus.gif

DonMigs85

Suairyu said:
You sure about that? I didn't notice much of a difference.

The animation system got a re-jigger in FS if I'm not mistaken, but purely aesthetic pretty-ness improvements are hardly the main priority in a goddamn SEGA 60fps arcade game.
So absolutely no cut content compared to the old disc versions right? I'll keep my eyes on this.

Suairyu

Banned
MarkMan said:
The QRAF 4 had the luxury of coming out after both Mad Catz's and Hori's latest offerings, so it borrows a LOT (if not all) of the unique features from aforementioned sticks. They use Sanwa parts and can easily be modded. You can't go wrong either way.

Personally, I like the weight/hand placement on the TE over the V3/VX SA. The Qanba is similar to the V3/VX as far as slant/hand placement goes.
Thanks, buddy. You're a real gent.

Pooya

GameSpot: Can you explain or go into greater depth on some of the changes/improvements that have been made over previous versions of Virtua Fighter 5?

Sega: Since Virtua Fighter 5 released on Xbox 360 and PS3 in 2007, the arcade version has received two major updates. The digital release of Virtua Fighter Final Showdown will incorporate all of the improvements the arcade team has rolled out since 2007. Here are the high points.

We've overhauled the core fighting mechanics to make the game more accessible to new players while being careful to retain the trademark depth and balance of the game. Essentially, this consists of two elements. First, changes were made to mechanics which had a steep learning curve and weren't bringing enough depth to the game; control inputs were streamlined and made more consistent across characters, the throw and escape system received the most notable changes. Secondly, we added enhanced visual cues to the game to better communicate what kind of hit was landed.

Moreover, while the base animation system from VF5 was excellent, further improvements have been made to make the fighters move more naturally, react more convincingly to moves, and communicate better to players when a move is blocked.

We've also added two new playable characters. Taka-Arashi, a sumo wrestler from Virtua Fighter 3, is coming back and Jean, a karate expert, has been added to the roster.

For the first time, PlayStation 3 owners will have an online versus mode for the Virtua Fighter series. With little latency, our online mode is already known for being incredibly faithful to the experience a player would have standing right next to their opponent in the arcade and we're glad to bring this mode to all players, regardless of platform.

Finally, we are planning on delivering a large amount of downloadable items that will allow players to fully customize their favorite fighters.

GS: What will be included? Are we looking at standard console-version modes?

Sega: Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown will introduce a new single player mode. Besides online and single-console multiplayer, there will also be some modes that weren't seen in Virtua Fighter 5. We'll be talking about those in more detail in the future.

GS: Since online is going to be incorporated, is there going to be spectator or tournament functionality?

Sega: Those modes will not be included.

GS: We're assuming this is going to be a hefty download--any idea on size? Is anything getting stripped out to make it smaller?

Sega: Nothing will be stripped out, this will be a faithful representation of the game that our fans have come to love in the arcade. While I don't have the exact memory footprint today, it should be consistent with other stand-alone downloadable games.

GS: What about pricing?

Sega: We are not announcing the pricing at this time.

GS: Will this version have hooks for DLC or tweaks that the team makes?

Sega: Yes, we will support DLC to deliver our fans a massive number of downloadable items that will allow for unprecedented levels of fighter customization.

GS: Is this a simultaneous PSN/XBL release?

Sega: Yes.

GS: What spurred the team to release the game now?

Sega: While we have received an incredible number of requests from our fans for a home version of Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown, we wanted to ensure that we are delivering on the promise of this stellar franchise. You may be aware that the arcade version has gone through several updates and revisions over the past few years. With this in mind, we felt that the game is now in a good place to make its way over to the home consoles. We are very excited to bring what we feel is the best version of the game.

GS: Why go digital only? Was any consideration given to a budget retail release similar to what Sega did with Virtua Fighter 4: Evo on the PlayStation 2?

Sega: As you may be aware, digital distribution is an important part of our overall strategy. The latest generation consoles have made great strides in the digital space over the past few years and we've seen much success releasing a variety of titles digitally. Aside from our new IPs, we've tapped into our library of classics and arcade hits and brought many of them to our fans through digital channels so that they can enjoy them on current generation platforms.

Careful consideration goes into our release strategy for every title. We felt that Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown is a perfect title to add to our digital portfolio. Releasing the title digitally will allow us to bring the title to our rabid fan base, as well as new and soon-to-be Virtua Fighter enthusiasts, at a great price point.

GS: Final Showdown seems to put a definitive close to the VF5 series of games. Is VF6 something that's being developed?

Sega: Virtua Fighter is a very important franchise to SEGA and the continuously growing Virtua Fighter fan base. AM2, the developer of Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown, is focused on delivering the best version of this beloved franchise to our fans.

GS: Is this strictly VF 5 Final Showdown content, or will there be an option to toggle gameplay options from previous revisions?

Sega: This is strictly Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown content, considered the latest and greatest in the series.

GS: Is there any possibility for a retail release in the future?

Sega: At this time, we are not considering a retail release of this title.

BKK

As someone who got the original PS3 game about a week before the actual Japanese release date I find it bizarre that they make me wait over 5 years before releasing an update, and it's not even DLC or a retail release, but only available as a full digital download game. WTF? How much do they want for it? I may pay $20, anymore is a rip off for those who bought the original at full price.

Leckan

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had lost hope for a while there.

Also:

tumblr_lgbj9gBHFn1qf8yek.gif

Sega

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
BKK said:
As someone who got the original PS3 game about a week before the actual Japanese release date I find it bizarre that they make me wait over 5 years before releasing the update, and it's not even DLC or a retail release, but only available as a full digital download game. WTF? How much do they want for it? I may pay $20, anymore is a rip off for those who bought the original at full price.
Are you new to fighting games?

despite it's far out lateness; I am happy about this though, especially being digital distribution because I find fighting games to be awesome on the hard-drive, easy access and low load-times

I hope they gave extras for people who have original VF5 installed on HDD, lol

I guess Sega bought those 2012 umbrellas a little early eh?

Curious on that single-player mode; hoping for some Soul Calibur-like awesomeness.

BKK

zoner said:
Are you new to fighting games?

I've been playing them for 20 years, but DLC wasn't an option then. SSFIV: AE is $14.99, I don't see what's wrong with expecting similar for VF5: FS.

LowParry

electroshockwave said:
You would think that enough time has passed to just release a Virtua Fighter 6.

After 5 years? Yeah. Just gives us 6 at this point. Especially since it's coming out next year.

Dachande

BKK said:
I've been playing them for 20 years, but DLC wasn't an option then. SSFIV: AE is $14.99, I don't see what's wrong with expecting similar for VF5: FS.

Because the original version was released nearly 5 years ago, before the concept for FS even existed and in a much earlier iteration of PSN with far less developer features?

This isn't even close to resembling the SSF4->SSF4:AE situation. AE was carefully planned; FS is several updates ahead of the version you already bought. There's no way they could have made FS a DLC option without a time machine.

BKK said:
Finding a copy of VF5, for one, and the DLC price would likely be the same as the full game as it's an Arcade/PSN release so it seems like a pointless thing to take issue with.

Takao

Banned
Dachande said:
Because the original version was released nearly 5 years ago, before the concept for FS even existed and in a much earlier iteration of PSN with far less developer features?

Wasn't Tekken: Dark Resurrection released on PSN in like 2007?

Agent X

Great news, only slightly marred by the fact that the release is still many months away. I'm looking forward to it.

I've had a very fucked up couple of days but this just made it all better.

I think this is a moral victory for all of us and we should be satisfied now.

On that note, time to start a riot!!!!!!

Suairyu

Banned
CcrooK said:
After 5 years? Yeah. Just gives us 6 at this point. Especially since it's coming out next year.
Why? VF5 is a great system. I don't want a VF6 just because x number of years has passed. Fighting games don't work that way. You make a new entry once you have a new system idea that wouldn't work as a simple iteration.

Alx

Great news. Will buy.
I think distributing fighting games as downloable software is a great thing, it's the sort of game that you want to keep within your reach when you want to play for a few minutes between other activities (which doesn't prevent to have longer sessions too).
I still enjoy a game of Soulcalibur XBLA from time to time, and I wouldn't bother to do it if I had to go fetch the disk every time I fancy a game.

Coxy

BKK said:
As someone who got the original PS3 game about a week before the actual Japanese release date I find it bizarre that they make me wait over 5 years before releasing an update, and it's not even DLC or a retail release, but only available as a full digital download game. WTF? How much do they want for it? I may pay $20, anymore is a rip off for those who bought the original at full price.

If you'd known this would happen you'd have just waited 5-6 years?

BKK

Dachande said:

This isn't even close to resembling the SSF4->SSF4:AE situation. AE was carefully planned; FS is several updates ahead of the version you already bought. There's no way they could have made FS a DLC option without a time machine.

They skipped all the other revisions though, and never even bothered to update the PS3 version with online, so yeah, waiting for over 5 years to play VF5 PS3 online does take the piss. I'm ok with paying more for a physical release, but if they're only going to offer it as a downloadable title then they need to be reasonable with the price.

Top Bottom