• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega CD/Mega CD Appreciation Thread of Welcome to the Next Level

paulogy

ECCD25.png

ECCD33.png

other-consoles-44614-11338509980.jpg

And for the game I bought the system for, but could never own:

Neff

Great (if almost exclusively graphic adenture-oriented) console. Great OP.

Space Adventure Cobra deserves a mention here, I feel. It absolutely retains the character of Cobra and is one of the few rare, not to mention faithful, english iterations of the franchise.

Snatcher is in my all-time top ten games ever, and I will never stop telling people about it or attempting to get them to play it.

Haha I always associate Sliver with Sega CD too.

NOW OPEN UP THIS COCKSUCKING DOOR

spookyfish

I have an X'Eye, but I really want a model 1 system, I love how it looks with the genny.What exactly is wrong with the Model 1 Sega Cds, why are they unreliable?

I think it was a wire that could come loose, as far as I know. It's sporadic, to be sure: my Day 1 Sega CD is still going.

I still have my Sega CD in the closet. I haul it out every so often when I want to play Night Trap or Sewer Shark. I also love Dark Wizard, one of the first turn-based strategy games to get its hooks into me.

Tarin02543

I had two games

Road Avenger
Battle Corps

Battle Corps is a mech game with mode 7 graphics. Anyone else who has played this game?

Maou

One of the neat things about the Mega CD is that while you'll probably never find someone as crazy as you in real life who actually owns one too, the sense of community around the system is exceptionally tight in terms of shared experience: given the relatively small number of options, all owners will know and love the real stand-outs like the Lunar series, Snatcher, Shining Force CD, Sonic CD, etc.

I got to borrow a Sega CD and a near complete library over the summer, and I made a post about it after I completed about a dozen games (I was in the middle of Snatcher when I made the post), most of them the FMV (with the exception of Jurassic Park). Only one person responded to the thread. Maybe I posted the thread at a bad time, or maybe I wasn't fawning enough over the crappy Sega CD games that I played at the time. I'll say, Night Trap is overrated, no one talks about Wirehead and Double Switch, and Sega CD is not fun to play, but it is fine camp.

It was a real great and interesting experience. I sent him an N64 with a ton of games and he responded with the Sega CD. It was like some sort of cultural exchange since he wasn't into Nintendo and I hate(d) Sega. t got to play:

Corpse Killer
Double Switch
Time Gal
Night Trap
Panic
Wirehead
Sewer Shark
Jurassic Park
Snatcher
Ecco the Dolphine
Hook
Potful Mail
Shining Force
Silpheed
The Adventures of Willy Beamish
Sonic CD
and Soul Star

Honestly, after finally playing a lot of the Sega CD highlights, I'm even more befuddled by those that liked the system. The load times, the crap games... I don't get it. Even Snatcher was a bit of a disappointment as a point and click game; it's an interesting story, but as someone who plays a lot of these types of games, it's not an amazing point and click game. I mean, why do I have to investigate something 7 or so times just to get the correct response and trigger the next event? I like Blade Runner, which the game is ripping off, but. Eh. I dunno. The soundtrack to Ecco is worthy of its reputation, I'll admit.

I kind of wish more people responded to my initial LTTP Sega CD thread, and maybe I'd post more thoughts on it.

Heh, I have every game in the OP. Also Lunar: Eternal Blue, Popful Mail, Silpheed, Earthworm Jim and The Terminator are great additions too.

Why no love for Batman Returns the 1st game to really show off what the Mega CD hardware could do with scaling and rotation that most Arcade games at the time didn't do.
The game looked stunning and was like having a Arcade game in your own house and with the tight checkpoints and time limits it played one like too.

Such a shame everyone goes on about the platform bits , when the driving part was a gaem in its own right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcSovxUN8Zg

cj_iwakura

I got to borrow a Sega CD and a near complete library over the summer, and I made a post about it after I completed about a dozen games (I was in the middle of Snatcher when I made the post), most of them the FMV (with the exception of Jurassic Park). Only one person responded to the thread. Maybe I posted the thread at a bad time, or maybe I wasn't fawning enough over the crappy Sega CD games that I played at the time. I'll say, Night Trap is overrated, no one talks about Wirehead and Double Switch, and Sega CD is not fun to play, but it is fine camp.

It was a real great and interesting experience. I sent him an N64 with a ton of games and he responded with the Sega CD. It was like some sort of cultural exchange since he wasn't into Nintendo and I hate(d) Sega. t got to play:

Corpse Killer
Double Switch
Time Gal
Night Trap
Panic
Wirehead
Sewer Shark
Jurassic Park
Snatcher
Ecco the Dolphine
Hook
Potful Mail
Shining Force
Silpheed
Sonic CD
and Soul Star

Honestly, after finally playing a lot of the Sega CD highlights, I'm even more befuddled by those that liked the system. The load times, the crap games... I don't get it. Even Snatcher was a bit of a disappointment as a point and click game; it's an interesting story, but as someone who plays a lot of these types of games, it's not an amazing point and click game. I mean, why do I have to investigate something 7 or so times just to get the correct response and trigger the next event? I like Blade Runner, which the game is ripping off, but. Eh. I dunno. The soundtrack to Ecco is worthy of its reputation, I'll admit.

I kind of wish more people responded to my initial LTTP Sega CD thread, and maybe I'd post more thoughts on it.

Uh, your initial thread had lots of replies. :p I know because I remember posting in it. The later one probably went under the radar.

You have to really appreciate what Night Trap pulled off. There is a ton of simultaneous content going on at once, some of which you can't even watch since there are mandatory events happening at the same time(i.e. saving Kelly while the Martins come back from the Auger visit). Double Switch and Wirehead are also great.

IMO it sounds like you just aren't a fan of Sega and that colored your experience.

Teknoman

So what are some of the JRPGs we missed out on / never hit outside of Japan that were Sega CD exclusive? I know theres gotta be a few?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Why no love for Batman Returns the 1st game to really show off what the Mega CD hardware could do with scaling and rotation that most Arcade games at the time didn't do.
The game looked stunning and was like having a Arcade game in your own house and with the tight checkpoints and time limits it played one like too.

Such a shame everyone goes on about the platform bits , when the driving part was a gaem in its own right

People mostly talk about the platform bits because the much more successful and widely-known version is the original cartridge release and is 100% platforming; the CD version is essentially a port with driving sections stuck in between the stages.

The Adventures of Batman & Robin CD game is by the same team and is 100% driving stages with cutscenes that were animated and voiced by the studio that did the TV show. It's a great technical showpiece but I don't think it's much fun.

cj_iwakura

So what are some of the JRPGs we missed out on / never hit outside of Japan that were Sega CD exclusive? I know theres gotta be a few?

A few VNs, namely a Urusei Yatsura one(unless that was Saturn?). I don't recall too many TBH, Sega CD wasn't nearly as huge in Japan as the Saturn.

I think we were pretty lucky, by and large.

Shadowrun is more of a Snatcher-like than an RPG(though it does have SRPG battles). We'll get it out there eventually.

VVV Mars VG

Corpse Killer
Double Switch
Time Gal
Night Trap
Panic
Wirehead
Sewer Shark
Jurassic Park
Snatcher
Ecco the Dolphine
Hook
Potful Mail
Shining Force
Silpheed
Sonic CD
and Soul Star

Sure, its one of those systems where you had to be there at the time. Megadrive and SNES were getting old and we had this hole to fill, Neo Geo was too expensive, 3DO was a year away, Jaguar was coming but still a ways off. Mega CD had some great games for that time, amazing audio well beyond the current console crop and games like Thunderhawk and Silpheed just weren't being done on any other system, not to mention Sonic CD and closest arcade conversion of Final Fight.

lazygecko

Sure, its one of those systems where you had to be there at the time. Megadrive and SNES were getting old and we had this hole to fill, Neo Geo was too expensive, 3DO was a year away, Jaguar was coming but still a ways off. Mega CD had some great games for that time, amazing audio well beyond the current console crop and games like Thunderhawk and Silpheed just weren't being done on any other system, not to mention Sonic CD and closest arcade conversion of Final Fight.

Problem was that Sega of America focused their marketing entirely on the FMV spectacle, which came to define the image of the console and left all the other cool games to obscurity.

Anyone remember the hype for Bram Stokers Dracula on Mega CD. Had some tasty graphics and animations at the time but not a good game.

Weird thing is it's said to have only released in the Americas but this was reviewed on UK television etc. I'm probably forgetting how many import reviews there were but could've sworn it was released here. My friend had a copy as well.

0BdCFTT.jpg

My Sega CD collection is tiny. Just got an NTSC one to import Lunar but apart from that I only really have Sonic CD and a Compilaiton disc. That's also a unique limited edition version of Snatcher.

cj_iwakura

0BdCFTT.jpg

My Sega CD collection is tiny. Just got an NTSC one to import Lunar but apart from that I only really have Sonic CD and a Compilaiton disc. That's also a unique limited edition version of Snatcher.

Hahaha, I swear my friend has that same disc of Snatcher. It's a communal copy, we share it whenever someone wants to play it. :p One day I'll get a real copy...

Vorg

Banned

This game has an amazing soundtrack. Seriously.

BKK

Released: Dec 12, 1991 (JP), Oct 15, 1992 (US), 1993 (EU)
Units Sold: 2.7 million (end of 1994)

Released: April 2nd, 1993 (EU).

Although that was just UK. Italy, Sweden, and Australia also received the original Mega CD shortly after the UK. The rest of Europe/PAL had to wait until September 1993 for the release of the Mega CD 2.

Units Sold: 2.24 million

Probably doesn't include third party models such as Victor Wondermega, Aiwa CSD-G1M, and Pioneer LaserActive Sega PAC. None of those sold massive amounts anyway.

A few VNs, namely a Urusei Yatsura one(unless that was Saturn?). I don't recall too many TBH, Sega CD wasn't nearly as huge in Japan as the Saturn.

I think we were pretty lucky, by and large.

Shadowrun is more of a Snatcher-like than an RPG(though it does have SRPG battles). We'll get it out there eventually.

The Sega Genesis Mega Drive was already pretty niche in Japan, so I could only imagine that the Sega Mega CD was even more of a niche product. The PC-Engine CD-ROM probably has a larger selection of JRPG's released for it overall in Japan, because it really was a more popular alternative.

The Sega CD version of Snatcher never saw a Japanese release as there was already a port of it on the more popular PCE CD-ROM that was released a couple years earlier.

But with that said, there still are a few obscure RPG's that were left behind in Japan that weren't picked up by Working Designs or Sega. Looking at this list of Wikipedia these are the few that I can spot:

A-Rank Thunder Tanjouhen
After Armageddon Gaiden
Alshark
Aisle Lord (this one is a first person dungeon crawler by Wolf Team)
Arcus 1-2-3 (another first person dungeon crawler, also by Wolf Team)
Burai
Cosmic Fantasy Stories
Daihoushinden
Dark Wizard
Death Bringer: The Knight of Darkness (another FP Dungeon Crawler)
Fhey Area
Genei Toshi: Illusion City
Magical Girl Silky Lip!
Record of Lodoss War
Seima Densetsu 3×3 Eye
Shin Megami Tensei

I am probably still missing more than a few from that list. I'm not really familiar with most of these, but I think many of them were ports from the PCE CD-ROM or are based on licensed Manga and Anime.

This game has an amazing soundtrack. Seriously.

Shame that the sidescroller elements were ported from the Genesis game. I always felt that Batman Returns on the Genesis was a weak game all around.

cj_iwakura

The Sega Genesis Mega Drive was already pretty niche in Japan, so I could only imagine that the Sega Mega CD was even more of a niche product. The PC-Engine CD-ROM probably has a larger selection of JRPG's released for it overall in Japan, because it really was a more popular alternative.

The Sega CD version of Snatcher never saw a Japanese release as there was already a port of it on the more popular PCE CD-ROM that was released a couple years earlier.

But with that said, there still are a few obscure RPG's that were left behind in Japan that weren't picked up by Working Designs or Sega. Looking at this list of Wikipedia these are the few that I can spot:

A-Rank Thunder Tanjouhen
After Armageddon Gaiden
Alshark
Aisle Lord (this one is a first person dungeon crawler by Wolf Team)
Arcus 1-2-3 (another first person dungeon crawler, also by Wolf Team)
Burai
Cosmic Fantasy Stories
Daihoushinden
Dark Wizard
Death Bringer: The Knight of Darkness (another FP Dungeon Crawler)
Fhey Area
Genei Toshi: Illusion City
Magical Girl Silky Lip!
Record of Lodoss War
Seima Densetsu 3×3 Eye
Shin Megami Tensei

SMT is an ugly, ugly port, but the opening is incredible, as is the remixed OST. Imagine if we'd gotten it localized... I wonder if Vic ever considered it.

smt1-mcd.jpg

megacdintro6.png

Sensible Soccer on the Mega CD.

$_35.JPG

The best version of the best football game ever. Even had real crowd chants and noise recorded from real football league games, years before the likes of FIFA did the same (Sensible Soccer CD came out in 92 or 93 if I remember, FIFA didn't use real crowd sounds until 2005).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFQrIoh51_A

Skulldead

I really like that system even if peoples talksh*** about it most of the time. I have most of the ''must own'' game on the system. Only missing Keo and the cobra game, i don't remember the name. EDIT "The Space Adventure". No way i'll pay the asking price....

I really like Dark Wind, this was a unique Strategie RPG on the vein of Master of monster.
Dungeon master 2 was also one of my favorite, nenver play the PC version so...
Eye of the beholder had a amazing soundtrack remade only for this version by the guy who did soundtrack for actraiser, street of rage, Shenmue etc !
Popful mail is a amazing platformer.

This console is full of hidden gem, thumb up to the guy who post dungeon explorer, i don't know how many hours i've play this game !

Never owned/played on a Sega CD but I have played sonic CD and Snatcher, two fantastic games.

I also wrote a whole paper last year while listening to the boot music from the Sega CD startup. Great music to help you focus I found.

diablogod

This was easily the game I played most on the system:

Third World War! I was looking to see if someone posted this. Man this game was great me and my cousins played this for 2 years off and on. Third World War, Lunar, Dark Wizard and Rise of the Dragon were my favorites. (Didn't really have a very big library so I'm sure there are way better games I just didn't have access to.)

lazygecko

2 mediocre games with great obscure soundtracks:

Wild Woody

Really eccentric soundtrack by Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal. Sounds like a mix of Faith no More and Samla Mammas Manna.

Microcosm

This was actually nowhere to be heard in the actual game. The ingame music is some average quality tracker music. The separate redbook audio soundtrack was actually composed by Rick Wakeman. Psygnosis had good connections with the classic prog rock scene since they already had Roger Dean do amazing cover artwork for them. They just couldn't figure out how to play the CD audio while simultaneously streaming the FMV backdrops for the levels. I had this game back in the day and was completely stumped by the hidden CD music when inevitably trying the disc in a CD player.

I should have never sold my CDX. But live and learn, live and learn.. now I have my Model 1 Mega Drive and Model 2 Mega CD, along with JP Popful Mail and Final Fight CD. I also have US Sonic CD, Robo Aleste and Silpheed but no way to play them since I don't have a converter cart or unibios.

Snatcher I'm not in too big of a rush to pick up however since I have the PCE version, but it would be nice to have at some point, I borrowed it from a friend years ago and played through it, so I at least have experienced it without having to rely on emulators.

It will be a good day indeed when all of the Jp only RPGs and such from the above list and such get fan translated in full---Shadowrun, Lodoss, and Illusion City(possibly not as good as the MSX Turbo edition music wise but still) especially.

The relative "few" projects that are even out there lend it some extra hopes to be one of the few, if not only, systems out there that stand a real chance to "get there" 100%.

Top Bottom