• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Delays Crush3D (3DS) To Feb 2012, Shinobi (3DS) To Nov 2011 Due To 3DS Sales

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Update 2:

New European Dates:

ShadiWolf said:
SEGA just confirmed the delay on twitter

Release Dates Confirmed for CRUSH3D and SHINOBI ON 3DS - Shinobi will be released on 11/11/11, while CRUSH3D will be released on 17/2/12

http://twitter.com/#!/SEGA/status/93334280998092800
New North American Dates:

Neuromancer said:
Delayed again WTF

In North America, Shinobi will be out November 15, 2011 and CRUSH3D will be out February 21, 2012 (both on 3DS) #shinobi #crush3d

Update:

It seems the game is done, but Sega delayed it due to the 3DS sales.

GamesIndustry.biz said:
Q: Paul, you've just picked up a potentially huge licence at Zoe Mode for Zumba Fitness 2. You're very much in that boxed product, work for hire role - is that where you see the studio's future?

Paul Mottram: Well we've always been, apart from Chime - our first self-published game, which was released I think three days before PSN went down - we've always been work for hire. Where we see the problem is that we have to convince publishers to fund us to make the games - so the problem we're seeing at the minute is too many platforms.

It used to be that ten years ago, it was PS2. So you'd just do PS2 and then maybe some others. But now we're finding that everyone is not knowing what platform is going to succeed - we did our first 3DS title - we got Crush onto that, but we had to delay the release of that because of the success of the platform.
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-07-14-nights-at-the-roundtable-interview

Original:

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2011/05/11/crush3d-a-hidden-gem-recreated-for-nintendo-3ds/

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjenpZfljKY&feature=player_embedded

SEGA® of America, Inc. today reveal details on CRUSH™3D. Redesigned for Nintendo 3DS™, CRUSH3D is the unique platform game that gives you the ability to change perspective from 2D to 3D as you try to solve brain-teasing puzzles. Built on the foundation of the award winning CRUSH™ , CRUSH3D features a host of exciting new features specifically designed for the Nintendo 3DS system, including new locations, characters and an intuitive hint system. CRUSH3D will be available on September 6th in North America and September 9th in Europe and Australia.

Navigate across the surreal platforms of Danny’s mind by ‘crushing’ your way from a 2-dimensional to a 3-dimensional world and back again whenever you need to. Discover how ‘crushing’ takes you to impossible heights, over insurmountable obstacles, and even disposes of dangerous enemies. With full 3D graphics that make complete use of the Nintendo 3DS capabilities, CRUSH3D also sports the possibility to leave gifts for friends to collect in-game, using the innovative StreetPass™ communication system.

“CRUSH3D gives all gamers a chance to experience this critically acclaimed concept in full 3D,” said Gary Knight, Senior Vice President of Marketing of SEGA West. “With features specifically designed for this exciting new platform, CRUSH3D is right at home on the Nintendo 3DS.”

CRUSH3D will be available on September 6th in North America and September 9th in Europe and Australia for Nintendo 3DS.

5710405700_affecc563d_z.jpg

5710405640_b13e5e36ba_o.jpg

5710405440_4351a95d74.jpg

5709842727_108d40e971.jpg

5709842611_530de6d120.jpg

5709842593_730d7caee8_o.jpg

5710405380_2868d8ce89_o.jpg

Finally. Been waiting for an official announcement with media for nearly four months now.

I had hoped it'd be out earlier than September, but c'est la vie.

Chairhome

Cool. Just sold my PSP copy to a GAFfer. I didn't really play the PSP one, but I might play this one. The character design seems better, the PSP one looked too 90s for me.

Ridley327

That's a pretty drastic overhaul of the art. It's for the best; the box art for the PSP game was probably a huge detriment to its sales and it looked just as hideous in-game.

FoneBone

That took long enough, Sega. I've only been waiting the better part of four months for a proper announcement.

Crappy graphics but as long as the gameplay's there, I'll go for it. Always wanted to play this, never had a PSP.

Tucah

you speak so well
One of my favorite puzzle games for PSP and one that will work wonderfully with the 3D of the 3DS. September can't come soon enough.

Does this feature new levels? I don't recognize a couple of the settings from the original. Then again I haven't played it in forever.

I love that it's completely 2D with pixel art (or cel shading) in the one dimension and goes to character models in 3D. Can't wait.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
SalsaShark said:
the old artstyle was fuckin TERRIBLE

glad they changed it

agreed. they seem to have gone with a sort of teenage nemo thing here. i would have went even younger and more vibrant with the aesthetic, but whatta ya gonna do? at least that old art style is gone.

Mr.NiceGuy

WOW that is a clever title, I don't know if most of you got it but they flipped the "e" so to look like "3" that way you read it as "Crushed" and "3D" the same time.

I missed out on the PSP version, I won't be making the same mistake twice. Looks great.

I wonder if the 2D bits will really be in 2D, or in 3D 2D.

Neuromancer said:
I missed out on the PSP version, I won't be making the same mistake twice. Looks great.

I wonder if the 2D bits will really be in 2D, or in 3D 2D.

Probably 3D 2D. But the main character sure does look like Guybrush with a bath robe in the first screen.

Insaniac

this makes me assume that the 3DS can detect when the 3D slider is on and thus change the perspective of the game? Thats a pretty nifty feature and can add a lot of depth to games

edit: bad pun not intended

kadotsu

Banned
So far it just looks like a texture swap. I will wait and follow the OT to see if they have added new contend. SpotPass DLC would've been nice to prolong the games life.

Insaniac said:
this makes me assume that the 3DS can detect when the 3D slider is on and thus change the perspective of the game? Thats a pretty nifty feature and can add a lot of depth to games

edit: bad pun not intended
No I don't think that's how it'll work.

FoneBone

Neuromancer said:
No I don't think that's how it'll work.
Since the depth slider is a software command there's no reason why you couldn't do it in theory, so it's not impossible for it to be an option. But since Nintendo won't allow games to require 3D (and it's not like the PSP version needed it), that wouldn't be mandatory.

StickSoldier said:
Puooooooo.

This game looks pretty awesome! So from what some of yall are saying, the graphics are different than the PSP version?
The entire art style is different. I feel it's an improvement, personally.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I am sure it will look better in motion, but not digging the art style atm, but as usual will wait for more impressions reviews etc,

_dementia said:
The entire art style is different. I feel it's an improvement, personally.

Yeah, I like the way it looks. I'm probably gonna buy this game; I need a puzzle game.

FoneBone said:
VClnd.jpg

Strongly disagree.

Haha wow, what the hell is wrong with his chin, or lack there of. The 3DS boxart is definitely the better boxart.

FoneBone

grindamasta said:
Is this new version from Zoe Mode? loved the first one.
Yep.
Another developer taking existing IP to 3DS is Paul Mottram, executive producer at Zoë Mode. Having revisited PSP puzzler Crush for the Nintendo handheld, Mottram and his colleagues have learned plenty of lessons about 3D.

“Developers need to be very careful with objects that have negative parallax,” he warns. “The illusion of depth is broken whenever they get clipped so this needs to be avoided at all costs.”
That considered, Zoë Mode has spent a lot of time ensuring this never happens, and has also invested a great deal of energy to stop cameras intersecting geometry as the renderer automatically moves them depending on the 3D slider position.
("Negative parallax" refers to what appears in front of the screen.)

beelzebozo said:
agreed. they seem to have gone with a sort of teenage nemo thing here. i would have went even younger and more vibrant with the aesthetic, but whatta ya gonna do? at least that old art style is gone.
I didn't like the aesthetics either, but the storyline (which to this day I wonder why they even bothered with it) required the drab backgrounds, muted colors, and depressing atmoshpere.

I wonder if they decided to ditch the backstory, they really should.

Well, the new art style is still horrible, but it's much better than it used to be, I think. It's a great puzzle game, and I'll re-buy this as soon as I get a 3DS. Perfect, perfect fit for the system.

Lijik

FoneBone said:
http://i.imgur.com/VClnd.jpg[IMG]

[i]Strongly[/i] disagree.[/QUOTE]

That at least has a nice overall layout, and an attempt at a style.
The 3DS boxart is put together like a fucking mess, with blandass shovelware looking characters on of all things a light grey background.

If they expanded on the top half and got rid of the floating heads, we'd have something.

abstract alien said:
Is the music actually as terrible in the vanilla version of Crush as the stuff in that trailer?
I quit playing the original because the music in the carnival world was so grating.

That damn song STILL keeps me up at night and haunts me in my dreams. "Duh nuh nuh da duh DA DA DA DA DA" *shudder*

Gwanatu T

Sounding like a perfect birthday gift! The original was killer, and I'm sure it will be just that much better in 3d. Kudos for keeping this alive Sega, this is the innovation I love to see you bring, developed by you or not!

Top Bottom