• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Delays Crush3D (3DS) To Feb 2012, Shinobi (3DS) To Nov 2011 Due To 3DS Sales

ShockingAlberto said:
It is exactly how the Wii went, though.

The factors that lead to the DS exploding will never be repeated again, the handheld market will not grow beyond that any time soon. It is entirely likely the 3DS will be the first Nintendo handheld to not be a third party cum dumpster source of easy income.
I'd say Wii and DS are both equally incomparable to the 3DS in terms of 3rd party commitments. Neither had near this level of support at this point in their cycles, and let's face it, Wii never managed this level of support period.

I don't see any real reason why 3DS would turn out like Wii though, much less that being the most likely outcome. It's already getting the sort of games Wii should have anyway (Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil, Metal Gear, Street Fighter, etc).

lunchwithyuzo said:
I'd say Wii and DS are both equally incomparable to the 3DS in terms of 3rd party commitments. Neither had near this level of support at this point in their cycles, and let's face it, Wii never managed this level of support period.

I don't see any real reason why 3DS would turn out like Wii though, much less that being the most likely outcome. It's already getting the sort of games Wii should have anyway (Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil, Metal Gear, Street Fighter, etc).

The point is whether these game sell or not, and if they can make an installed base on the system. Take RE:M, it sold 30K, it wouldn't have made any difference if it wasn't released. To say the least, it hasn't left a positive impression and next time they may try making one for PSV and testing waters there, instead of making another one for 3DS. Of course one may blame this on the poorness of RE:M itself, but we wouldn't know really; specially knowing that it sold much better in Japan. Maybe 3DS is already doomed in this term and people those who care about this kind of games are waiting for PSV or maybe aren't interested altogether in a handheld.

lunchwithyuzo said:

That list of support is kind of shitty already, though.

Dream Drop Distance may not see release for years upon years. It may get moved, canceled, any number of things. It may turn out to be as shitty as the GBA or DS Kingdom Hearts games - that they say "Oh no this is mainline but please don't call it KH3" does nothing but provide marketing support and isn't evidence in and of itself that the 3DS is getting high level third party support.

Resident Evil got a super-rushed title that couldn't make launch. Metal Gear is getting a downgraded port (downgraded from the PS2 version, downgraded even further from the demo shown a year ago) where the Vita and the HD consoles are getting super upgraded bundles of the same game plus more. Street Fighter IV was quickly and sloppily ported to the 3DS whereas Street Fighter x Tekken isn't even coming to the system, but is coming to the Vita with extra content and the ability to play online with the consoles.

I'm just saying, the 3DS situation rings eerily similar to pre-launch lists of games that will never actually come out on the system or are horrible disappointments.

Remember when the Wii was not only getting a brand new take on Dragon Quest, but a genre-bending Final Fantasy title ("the real Final Fantasy XIII" people called it), two new Tales games including one that is a direct sequel to the best selling Tales game of all time, the best Zelda-like on the PS2, new IPs from Capcom, Kawata personally making a new Resident Evil game hot off the heels of RE4's shocking success, etc., etc.

These things are built on dreams and candy and it can just as easily take a turn for the shitty.

I also didn't say the 3DS would most likely turn out like the Wii. It just won't most likely turn out like the DS.

BurntPork

Banned
walking fiend said:
The point is whether these game sell or not, and if they can make an installed base on the system. Take RE:M, it sold 30K, it wouldn't have made any difference if it wasn't released. To say the least, it hasn't left a positive impression and next time they may try making one for PSV and testing waters there, instead of making one for 3DS. Of course one may blame this on the poorness of RE:M itself, but we wouldn't no really. Maybe 3DS is already doomed in this term and people those who care about this kind of games are waiting for PSV or maybe aren't interested altogether in a handheld.
RE:M is a horrid example due to it being way too light on content and the fact that saves are permanent. RE:R would have sold much, much better.

BurntPork said:
RE:M is a horrid example due to it being way too light on content and the fact that saves are permanent. RE:R would have sold much, much better.
But RE:R won't be done and out until whatever direction the 3DS takes is already decided.

It's coming out too late to make any impact.

BurntPork said:
it sold 60K first week in Japan, double of 30K, and used game market is pretty strong in Japan as far as I am aware.

where the Vita and the HD consoles are getting super upgraded bundles of the same game plus more
oh, please, although I agree MGS3DS is minimal effort, but you definitely haven't seen those, MGS 3DS is a saint compared to them.
It just won't most likely turn out like the DS.
what Kind of support did DS get that 3DS isn't?

BurntPork

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
But RE:R won't be done and out until whatever direction the 3DS takes is already decided.

That's not the point, and it's why I said "would have" instead of "will."

And to say that the first year decides a system's success is insane. DS, PSP, 360, and even PS3 to a degree show how wrong that can be. Mean, sure, if sales keep going down like they are, then yes, we're probably looking at Gamecube sales in the end, but there are far too many wild cards to say much right now. There's no "perfect storm" either. If 3DS had launched at a lower price with a better lineup advertising that makes it clear that it's not just a revision, we definitely would not be having this conversation right now. All of those issues can be fixed. The library should be fine by this time next year, and Nintendo will probably cut the price a bit if they feel it needs that extra push. Advertising is the only issue that probably won't be solved easily. However, I'm calling it now: 3DS will sell more than 1.5 million units in Q4 of this year in the US alone. Probably close to 2 million. Watch.

ShockingAlberto said:

I wouldn't say that. There has never been a proper, original Resident Evil game on portables. If it's as good as hyped, it could sell systems.

TheNatural

My Member!
So their answer is to take a game no one really cares about and make it more irrelevant by waiting until the real 3DS games come out?

robot

not surprised after seeing the attention it was getting at e3. don't think I saw a single person playing it whenever I walked past.

pje122

USD said:
fT4Nb.gif
Never forget...

batbeg

Neuromancer said:
What is this from?

Crushed or Crush3d or something was a GAF member beloved by many and hated by many, that was his avatar. He was banned in the original nuts and bolts thread, changed his avatar to insult amir0x from beyond the bangrave (kind of brilliant in a way) and permad for his crimes.

Actually, I think that it's a matter of memory distortion. I mean, how many units launch games sold back in the day on some successful consoles? PS2, 360, DS itself.
And more importantly, did they sell during a longer-than-usual span of time, or just the first weeks after the release? The pattern of sales of launch games is usually different than games released on a mature console, since they follow more precisely the sales pattern of the console itself.

I heard about The Mercenaries 3D; I don't know exactly how many copies sold in the US, but I saw it in the UK charts, and in the Germany as well; in Japan it sold roughly 100k copies, which is not too bad considering the genre and its nature. But can we judge its sales now? Or maybe we have to wait some months? 3DS is not selling so well in the West and obviously the sales of the software are highly influenced by this situation; but when (if) the console start to sell better (from october for example), also the software already released might be sell something, since there are not so many games so far, and the userbase will surely get bigger. Games like The Mercenaries 3D (crappy but with a famous name), Zelda and Street Fighter will be the choices to purchase with the console for the average consumer so they should sell in a longer span of time.

And I think the point is here: Tekken Tag Tournament on PS2 sold what it sold (3mln? 4mln?) in 3-4 weeks or 2 months, or in 2 years, untile Tekken 4 came out? And Luigi's Mansion? All of these games, those which sold well, did in line with console sales, becoming inevitable choices for those gamers who purchased the console in the first year(s) after the launch.
So we should wait at least after the holiday season, when Nintendo will try everything to re-launch the 3DS; if until now Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition has sold 400k copies, in early-2012 may see 600-700k, and The Mercenaries 3D 300-400k, which are not bad results at all and could make the userbase grew. Obviously, the console must sell well at the end of the year.

batbeg said:
Crushed or Crush3d or something was a GAF member beloved by many and hated by many, that was his avatar. He was banned in the original nuts and bolts thread, changed his avatar to insult amir0x from beyond the bangrave (kind of brilliant in a way) and permad for his crimes.
Ah, thank you.

KevinCow

Banned
Kulock said:
Consumers: "There's no games for the 3DS! I'll wait until they've released more."
Publishers: "They aren't buying 3DS games! We'll wait until they've bought more."

What a strangely unique situation that no Nintendo system has ever been in before.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
KevinCow said:
What a strangely unique situation that no Nintendo system has ever been in before.
He totally forgot

"Nintendo: Let's release some games on this bitch to generate more sales"
"3rd Parties: Waahh our games don't sell"

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This looks awesome.

Kulock said:
Consumers: "There's no games for the 3DS! I'll wait until they've released more."
Publishers: "They aren't buying 3DS games! We'll wait until they've bought more."

Nintendo: "OK... Here are you games, rejoice!"
Consumers: "Let's go buy some games, let's go buy 3DS!"
Publishers: "Everyone's buying Nintendo games, who would think of us? Fuck this, let's forget about 3DS."

---
what's with your tags?

-Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

-KevinCow

It is perfectly permissible to shout "OH DAVID BOWIE YES" during intercourse with Oneself.

Kulock said:

Around Brawl's release, he made posts like this, which were glorious.

The best for me was a similar post he made in a Nights Wii thread. It was fucking hilaaaarious. I wish we had post history search back :/

EDIT: found it! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8240226&postcount=54

apana said:
It needs a fucking price drop! It will never take off at this price.
it won't get it. DS Lite is discontinued, and DSi is 150$. You think they'll start selling 3DS only 50$ more than DSi? or just drop DSi to the recently lowered price of DS Lite?

3DS for those who don't a DS, has a lot of value.

dacuk

ShockingAlberto said:
That list of support is kind of shitty already, though.

Dream Drop Distance may not see release for years upon years. It may get moved, canceled, any number of things. It may turn out to be as shitty as the GBA or DS Kingdom Hearts games - that they say "Oh no this is mainline but please don't call it KH3" does nothing but provide marketing support and isn't evidence in and of itself that the 3DS is getting high level third party support.

Resident Evil got a super-rushed title that couldn't make launch. Metal Gear is getting a downgraded port (downgraded from the PS2 version, downgraded even further from the demo shown a year ago) where the Vita and the HD consoles are getting super upgraded bundles of the same game plus more. Street Fighter IV was quickly and sloppily ported to the 3DS whereas Street Fighter x Tekken isn't even coming to the system, but is coming to the Vita with extra content and the ability to play online with the consoles.

I'm just saying, the 3DS situation rings eerily similar to pre-launch lists of games that will never actually come out on the system or are horrible disappointments.

Remember when the Wii was not only getting a brand new take on Dragon Quest, but a genre-bending Final Fantasy title ("the real Final Fantasy XIII" people called it), two new Tales games including one that is a direct sequel to the best selling Tales game of all time, the best Zelda-like on the PS2, new IPs from Capcom, Kawata personally making a new Resident Evil game hot off the heels of RE4's shocking success, etc., etc.

These things are built on dreams and candy and it can just as easily take a turn for the shitty.

I also didn't say the 3DS would most likely turn out like the Wii. It just won't most likely turn out like the DS.

You deserve your tag, sir.

batbeg said:
He still plays on the GAF TF2 server if you ever want to catch up with him.

System hardware is not selling because there is not enough software to satiate consumer demand. Large video game company decides to tackle the problem by not releasing video game software in the hopes that it will satiate customer demand and boost hardware sales.

hmm...

M-PG71C

I think publishers have unrealistic expectations, the 3DS is selling at the same rate as the original DS. Which is impressive considering it costs nearly double of which.

If anyone thinks the Vita will do better, I have a bridge to sell you. It'll sell at the same rate, or potentially worse, than the 3DS. Which is fine, its a good rate honestly, but publishers need to be realistic in what can be expected within the first six to twelve months. Especially for a portable.

Fredrik

walking fiend said:
3DS for those who don't a DS, has a lot of value.
Yup, just bought one, and is in gaming heaven right now, there are so many amazin games out for it already, apart from OoT3D, which is _awesome_ I've been picking up a lot of the best of the best for DS too. The only thing that bother me is that it can't play GBA games. Zelda Minish Cap looks terrible on the GBA once I've gotten used to the 3DS screen. :/

[Nintex]

SolarPowered said:
Large video game company decides to tackle the problem by not releasing video game software in the hopes that it will satiate customer demand and boost hardware sales.
They learned that trick from Nintendo.

Considering the success of the DS, it's amazing there is so little faith in the follow up. Both from consumers and publishers.

The price is obviously a factor, but a system cannot thrive without games.

KevinCow said:

...So what? I was mostly teasing the chicken/egg reaction of the developer, I wasn't saying this is the first time.

Why are people acting like Crushed is some major system seller? Sure if it was Capcom holding back RER over sales, Konami with MGS3 or Level 5 and Prof Layton, then there'd be a point to the bitching, but Crushed is a small niche game, albeit a very good one. While it wouldn't be smart of Sega to release it directly against a bit Nintendo hitter, it also wouldn't be smart of them to release it when overall sales of the platform are in the duldrums.

Opus Angelorum said:
Considering the success of the DS, it's amazing there is so little faith in the follow up. Both from consumers and publishers.

The price is obviously a factor, but a system cannot thrive without games.
there is so much competition: iPhone, Android, iPad, Tablets, PS Vita, even DS itself! if DS wasn't this successful, instead of pessimistic comments on how many ways 3DS may fail to be another DS, you would have been reading optimistic comments seeking ways how 3DS would not become another Gamecube

Akainu

cw_sasuke said:
AND ANOTHER THING!!! The characters themselves. In the psp game the character's posture is horrible. Slouched over, knees looking like they are about to give out and he shakes himself up when idle for to long as if trying to stay aware. Like I'd imagine a person who was sleep deprived would be like. This version has none of that. The mood just seems to be like, "Hey I'm in this fun little dream world playing around my subconscious YEAH!"

GeekyDad

walking fiend said:
The point is whether these game sell or not, and if they can make an installed base on the system. Take RE:M, it sold 30K, it wouldn't have made any difference if it wasn't released. To say the least, it hasn't left a positive impression and next time they may try making one for PSV and testing waters there, instead of making another one for 3DS. Of course one may blame this on the poorness of RE:M itself, but we wouldn't know really; specially knowing that it sold much better in Japan. Maybe 3DS is already doomed in this term and people those who care about this kind of games are waiting for PSV or maybe aren't interested altogether in a handheld.
RE:M is a poor cash-in. Is it possible gamers responded honestly to Capcom by simply not buying the game? Additionally, M-rated games rarely do well on Nintendo handhelds, so the mention of RE:M in this discussion is misleading at best.

KevinCow

Banned
Kulock said:
...So what? I was mostly teasing the chicken/egg reaction of the developer, I wasn't saying this is the first time.

Oh, I didn't mean anything against you. I was just commenting on the situation you pointed out.

Top Bottom