• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Delays Crush3D (3DS) To Feb 2012, Shinobi (3DS) To Nov 2011 Due To 3DS Sales

Jokeropia

airmangataosenai said:
I understand why you'd feel RE deserved to bomb, but what about DoA? From what I've heard it was very competent.
My point is that he's acting surprised that it got outsold by OoT. It's extremely disingenuous (and actually plainly false) to refer to a remake of what is widely considered the greatest game of all time as just an "N64 port". Even a greatly successful DoA shouldn't have been able to outsell Zelda.

Rocket Punch said:
This is Nintendo's fault for releasing an overpriced system with no worthwile launch software.

Launching without a huge Nintendo game was brutally, unbelievably stupid in hindsight. I know it was to give third-parties some room, but they really delivered fuck all in terms of system selling games. Not releasing any first party games in April or May was also stupid. As it stands, the system has no momentum, and it won't until October or November when, shockingly, the huge Nintendo games come out. Perhaps Sega is correct to delay their titles until the system gains some momentum, but that date for Shinobi seems really risky.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Morokh said:
Shinobi had already BOMBA written all over it, now Crush 3D shares the same fate ....

Once again ! WELL DONE SEGA ! xD
I'm kind of curious why they picked the dates they did.

Crush3D kind of makes sense as it's releasing around the time quite a few people will have finished playing their holiday game purchases, but Shinobi doesn't strike me as a title that will benefit from the holiday rush.

If Shinobi released tomorrow, I might have given it a chance, given that I own a total of one (1) retail 3DS game.

But Shinobi releasing while I'm playing Kid Icarus, Mario Kart, and Mario 3DS? There is no logic.

Nirolak said:
I'm kind of curious why they picked the dates they did.

Crush3D kind of makes sense as it's releasing around the time quite a few people will have finished playing their holiday game purchases, but Shinobi doesn't strike me as a title that will benefit from the holiday rush.
what other Pegi 16 game is released around that time?

mclem

nckillthegrimace said:
Launching without a huge Nintendo game was brutally, unbelievably stupid in hindsight.

I think they may have believed that Nintendogs + Cats was a 'huge Nintendo game', given how well the first iteration did. The relative lack of success of that has taken me by surprise somewhat.

Madao

mclem said:
I think they may have believed that Nintendogs + Cats was a 'huge Nintendo game', given how well the first iteration did. The relative lack of success of that has taken me by surprise somewhat.

expanded audience games have fallen off a cliff in sales. wii play motion, nintendogs, etc bombing horribly means that they can only depend on their tried and true sellers (Mario Kart and co but positioning them too far from launch was bad)

uchihasasuke said:
expanded audience games have fallen off a cliff in sales. wii play motion, nintendogs, etc bombing horribly means that they can only depend on their tried and true sellers (Mario Kart and co but positioning them too far from launch was bad)

Or maybe depends on the fact that 3DS still not have a young userbase so Nintendogs + Cats will start to sell well (actually, it's selling well in Japan, and we don't know know numbers for PAL and US..) when the console will get a wider audience? And Wii Play: Motion suffers to competition of Wii Party, which is still selling?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
walking fiend said:
what other Pegi 16 game is released around that time?
I'm not sure, but I'm not sure if the rating will help it.

The M rating didn't seem to help too many DS games when there were only like 10-12 total, but this is a platform targeted at a slightly different audience.

Clunker

mclem said:
I believe Iwata has gone on record saying that they considered the built-in AR Games and Face Raiders as their compelling launch software. Though it's hard to say whether they genuinely believed such flimsy freebies would be considered some kind of killer app or they're just covering their tracks.

Nirolak said:
I'm not sure, but I'm not sure if the rating will help it.

The M rating didn't seem to help too many DS games when there were only like 10-12 total, but this is a platform targeted at a slightly different audience.
exactly. OoT reaching an attach rate of 35% in just two weeks, tells something of the demographic. I for one, never liked DS for NSMB or MK or Nintendo Dogs, and now on 3DS, I am really excited for Kid Icarus, OoT and SF64, and if Shinobi turns out to be a very good game, I really can see myself buying it over super mario, even if it turns out to be a superb game. However, I rarely buy average games, they should have something special, very good story if shitty gameplay, very good gameplay if shitty story, etc; so if Shinobi is just a quick cash grab, it will die, as it deserves.

Both games have the BOMBA word all over it, but Shinobi is a very sad case since, even if it was a quite lame attempt to bring back the series to portables, could have get some sales if it wasn't released between some really big IP's.

No, it's a PSP up port instead.

I believe you that's the case, but It dosn't even look like a PSP game for starters.So is still quite sad.

Clunker said:
I believe Iwata has gone on record saying that they considered the built-in AR Games and Face Raiders as their compelling launch software.
Jesus.

I mean, that stuff was fun for about 10 minutes.

Rubikant

Takao said:

Regardless of whether or not people think its a good thing or a bad thing, I hate false information being spread.

We pitched Shinobi to Sega as a 3DS game. It was never considered for release on the DS or the PSP. Additionally, absolutely nothing from Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines for PSP was used in Shinobi - that game used a completely different engine and obviously completely different gameplay. As another poster surmised, the video was much closer to a 3DS version of Assassin's Creed: Discovery than it was to Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines anyway, though nothing from Discovery was directly used in the actual Shinobi game either. The focus of the video was to demonstrate potential gameplay and the state of our 3DS tech at the time - that does not mean we used the game the video was built with as a basis for the actual project.

In conclusion: Shinobi is not an up-port of anything, nor was it built on the remnants of any older projects. The idea originally came up as a possible 3DS pitch and was designed and built for the 3DS from the start.

maeda

Rubikant said:
In conclusion: Shinobi is not an up-port of anything, nor was it built on the remnants of any older projects. The idea originally came up as a possible 3DS pitch and was designed and built for the 3DS from the start.
Why does it look like trash then?

maeda said:

Dude... This guy is a developer on the game, he's getting up every day and putting his heart into the game, even if you think it looks like trash you don't need to directly say it to him, or at least wait for the game to actually be released.

Let's get some positivity about games here.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Rubikant said:
Regardless of whether or not people think its a good thing or a bad thing, I hate false information being spread.

We pitched Shinobi to Sega as a 3DS game. It was never considered for release on the DS or the PSP. Additionally, absolutely nothing from Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines for PSP was used in Shinobi - that game used a completely different engine and obviously completely different gameplay. As another poster surmised, the video was much closer to a 3DS version of Assassin's Creed: Discovery than it was to Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines anyway, though nothing from Discovery was directly used in the actual Shinobi game either. The focus of the video was to demonstrate potential gameplay and the state of our 3DS tech at the time - that does not mean we used the game the video was built with as a basis for the actual project.

I have no idea how the person writing the article managed to infer that this game began its life on PSP in the first place. Games journalism is so, so bad.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Dude... This guy is a developer on the game, he's getting up every day and putting his heart into the game, even if you think it looks like trash you don't need to directly say it to him, or at least wait for the game to actually be released.

The developers need to be able to take criticism as well so that they can address the things that are being criticized and improve them for the final product. Though I suppose the fact that everybody thinks that it started life as an original DS game when they look at it should be enough of a hint for the developers without someone explicitly telling them that it looks like trash.

Rubikant

maeda said:

I'm only clearing up facts. Opinions are not facts. For example, here's an opinion in direct contrast to yours (assuming you are referring to the aesthetics of the game), from someone who recently played the demo at Comic-Con and said: "What stood out to me from the get go was how good the game looked. The colors were vibrant and the semi cel shaded style they used was extremely effective." (source: http://www.themoderngamer.com/index.php/comic-con-2011-coverage/83-tmgcc11-shinobi.html).

I'm not a PR guy, I'm a programmer, I really haven't a clue on how to affect people's opinions, so I don't have a real answer for you. All I can tell you is, in my opinion the game is incredibly fun and looks great when played on the actual system.

Kerrby

Banned
FINALFANTASYDOG said:

He's being honest though, the game looks awful. I won't be buying it, looks incredibly basic and bland.

Amalthea

Banned
Rubikant said:
I'm only clearing up facts. Opinions are not facts. For example, here's an opinion in direct contrast to yours (assuming you are referring to the aesthetics of the game), from someone who recently played the demo at Comic-Con and said: "What stood out to me from the get go was how good the game looked. The colors were vibrant and the semi cel shaded style they used was extremely effective." (source: http://www.themoderngamer.com/index.php/comic-con-2011-coverage/83-tmgcc11-shinobi.html).

I'm not a PR guy, I'm a programmer, I really haven't a clue on how to affect people's opinions, so I don't have a real answer for you. All I can tell you is, in my opinion the game is incredibly fun and looks great when played on the actual system.

Maybe you should ask the PR-people to release some .mpo pictures of the game.
It could help if the people this in 3d.

Rubikant said:

Does it run at 60fps? Would make a huge difference, especially for a game in this genre.

nincompoop said:
The developers need to be able to take criticism as well so that they can address the things that are being criticized and improve them for the final product.

Yeah.... but there is a difference between 1. Giving constructive criticism or 2. The act of walking up to the developer punching him in the face and telling him his game is trash.

To add to the thread: Japanese news sites are going wide with rumors of pokemon scramble delays(due out in 3 days)

NEO0MJ

Tyrant_Onion said:
Maybe you should ask the PR-people to release some .mpo pictures of the game.
It could help if the people this in 3d.

That would be a great idea for a whole lot of games. I really want Shinobi to work but it just looks bad(in my opinion).
Just a question Rubikant, will you be using the extra time to tweak the game or is it finalized?

Top Bottom