• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega developing live-action Yakuza film

Mista

Banned
Yakuza-Film_09-24-20.jpg

Sega is developing a live-action film based on its Yakuza video game franchise with 1212 Entertainment and Wild Sheep Content, according to a Variety report.

The film will be produced by Erik Barmack, Roberto Grande, and Joshua Long. Wild Sheep Content are searching for script writers.

1212 said in a statement:
Yakuza offers us a new playground in which to set compelling stories with complex characters in a unique environment that audiences have rarely seen before. The saga of Kazuma Kiryu has a built-in cinematic appeal—a mix of kinetic action with bursts of comedy, multiple converging storylines, and a gripping journey towards redemption.
A release target for the film was not mentioned.

Gematsu

CamHostage

I hope it's better than the last one:

Man, I had only seen the trailers for the 2007 Yakuza: Like a Dragon movie (directed by Takashi Miike,) and it looked "authentic" in clips but I'm not surprised unfortunately that it's all surface effort. That brawl scene looks like a pillow fight...

There was however a short TV series based on the PSP game Black Panther, and I remember reading a fan review of it that was pretty positive.

Kazza

Man, I had only seen the trailers for the 2007 Yakuza: Like a Dragon movie (directed by Takashi Miike,) and it looked "authentic" in clips but I'm not surprised unfortunately that it's all surface effort. That brawl scene looks like a pillow fight...

There was however a short TV series based on the PSP game Black Panther, and I remember reading a fan review of it that was pretty positive.

Kiyru is such a beast, I really don't see them getting anyone suitable for the role. That guy in the first movie was way too skinny.

I hope it's better than the last one:

The thing is, nobody is a better fit to direct a Yakuza movie than Takashi Miike. He's a living legend whose filmography is a major inspiration to the games themselves.
Crazy crime/Yakuza films likes Ichii the Killer, Dead or Alive (1999, unrelated to the fighting game adaptation), Fudoh The New Generation show his prowess for both over the top action and absurdist elements (sound familiar, Yakuza fans?). Too bad he didn't return the favor and phoned in the adaptation made for him. Takeshi Kitano's a great actor and director but his gangster films are straight hardcore type without the weird parts of Yakuza.

Kiyru is such a beast, I really don't see them getting anyone suitable for the role. That guy in the first movie was way too skinny.
It's more about swagger and stature. Muscles can be added with a suit or working out. Charisma cannot be. Kiryu is an old fashioned alpha male like Toshiro Mifune or Tatsuya Nakadai from old samurai films and there's not a lot of actors in Japan like that today...

Jeeves

I'll be impressed if they can nail Kiryu's fine balance of macho man and pure boy scout. They're probably going to go too far in one direction or the other.

Top Bottom