• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
xocPGjYl.jpg

HAPPY SEGA DREAMCAST DAY!! 20 YEARS OLD!!

As everybody knows, yesterday marked 20 years since the epic 9-9-99 launch of Sega Dreamcast in the US. It was a glorious success and the beginning of a wonderful era for all Sega fans. For many gamers, this new system felt like a glorious return to the legendary days of the Genesis, thanks to the long, long, loooong-awaited Sonic Adventure, NFL 2K, NBA 2K and a host of outstanding arcade titles including Hydro Thunder, Ready 2 Rumble, Power Stone and King of Fighters '98 Dream Match. And, of course, the biggest star of the show, the mighty Soul Calibur.

The Dreamcast era was far too short, as far too many videogame fans once again fell hook, line and sinker for Sony Playstation hype, while completely ignoring the terrific games Sega was dropping left and right. Why does this keep happening?

Thanks to indie software developers and dedicated fans, Dreamcast has enjoyed a long second life with a host of excellent games, from classic system emulators to modern action titles and shoot-em-ups. And we're still getting new Dreamcast titles to this day.

I have always loved this system and its amazing software library. Its multiplayer games continue to be tremendous fun and will keep everyone happy for years to come.

My personal Dreamcast favorites (off the top of my head):

Soul Calibur
Ready 2 Rumble
Virtua Fighter 3 Team Battle
Dead or Alive 2
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
Street Fighter Alpha 3
King of Fighters 98 Dream Match
NFL 2K series
NBA 2K series
Virtua Tennis/2K2
NBA Showtime
Crazy Taxi
Ferrari F355 Challenge
Test Drive Le Mans
Hydro Thunder
San Francisco Rush: 2049
Metropolis Street Racer
Phantasy Star Online
Skies of Arcadia
Chu Chu Rocket
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1/2
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Sword of the Bezerk
Donald Duck in Goin' Quackers
Q-Bert
Ms. Pac-Man: Maze Madness
Ikaruga
Shenmue (never a huge fan but it was quite the experience)
Jet Grind Radio (controls are too floaty but the style is sublime)
Quake 3 Arena (repeat after me: Sega should have bought Lobotomy!)

dolabla

About to jump back in on my Dreamcast. Probably going to play some Code Veronica. I got my RGB Scart cable coming in any day from Retro Gaming Cables: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...SEGA-DREAMCAST-RGB-SCART-CABLE-WITH-480P-MODE

Can't wait to try it out on my OSSC/Framemeister. Supposedly the RGB Scart cable fixes the brightness levels to what it's supposed to look like. I was using the Behar Bros Toro Box, but that thing is just too bulky. Everything looked great on it though.

Cravis

One of the lesser known titles I never see anyone talking about is Armada. Felt like asteroids but on a much larger scale. Gaining XP and upgrades was so addictive and satisfying

About to jump back in on my Dreamcast. Probably going to play some Code Veronica. I got my RGB Scart cable coming in any day from Retro Gaming Cables: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...SEGA-DREAMCAST-RGB-SCART-CABLE-WITH-480P-MODE

Can't wait to try it out on my OSSC/Framemeister. Supposedly the RGB Scart cable fixes the brightness levels to what it's supposed to look like. I was using the Behar Bros Toro Box, but that thing is just too bulky. Everything looked great on it though.
Bro r u me. I'm just doing emulation tho, it's nice to fast forward the door loading. CV has a special place in my heart.

Found a Dreamcast HDMI cable from the same team that did the new Duke Xbox controllers. Tempted to dive in and see how DC looks over HDMI.

Top Bottom