• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Dream17

Neo Member
n64 better the Dreamcast LOL
nintendo fan are really blind

: Soul Calibur, ...better than all N64 Fighting Game,

not counting Power Stone, DOA2, Guilty Gear X, Darstalkers Chronicles , Street 3 Third Strike , SFA 3, KOF Dream Match ...

: MSR, Tokyio XTrem Racer 2, better than all N64 Racing Game

not counting F355 Challenge , Vanishing Point, Le Mans , Star One episode one racer,F1 GP2

Grandia 2 better than all n64 rpg

not counting Skies of Arcadia, Sakura Taisen and Shenmue ...

Looney Tunes Space Race better than mario kart 64
not counting Wacky Race

shoot em up: Ikaryga, Zero Gunner 2, Under Defeat , Giga Wing 2 better than all n64 shmuo

not counting the upcoming Sturmwind

Sonic Adventures 2, better than Mario 64
not counting Rayman 2

sport Game: Nba 2k2, NFL 2K, World Series Baseball Dave Mirra freestyle bmx,Virtua Tennis 2 ...

mmo: phantasy Star Online better than all n64 mmo

FPS: Quake 3 Arena, better then all n64 fps

not couting Soldier of Fortune, Maken X

Adventures game: Shenmue, Head Huntern Shado Man (superior version)...

Even the Sega Saturn is better than n64 for Fighting game , racing game , and shoot em up .

n64 better the Dreamcast LOL
nintendo fan are really blind

: Soul Calibur, ...better than all N64 Fighting Game,

not counting Power Stone, DOA2, Guilty Gear X, Darstalkers Chronicles , Street 3 Third Strike , SFA 3, KOF Dream Match ...

: MSR, Tokyio XTrem Racer 2, better than all N64 Racing Game

not counting F355 Challenge , Vanishing Point, Le Mans , Star One episode one racer,F1 GP2

Grandia 2 better than all n64 rpg

not counting Skies of Arcadia, Sakura Taisen and Shenmue ...

Looney Tunes Space Race better than mario kart 64
not counting Wacky Race

shoot em up: Ikaryga, Zero Gunner 2, Under Defeat , Giga Wing 2 better than all n64 shmuo

not counting the upcoming Sturmwind

not counting Rayman 2

sport Game: Nba 2k2, NFL 2K, World Series Baseball Dave Mirra freestyle bmx,Virtua Tennis 2 ...

mmo: phantasy Star Online better than all n64 mmo

FPS: Quake 3 Arena, better then all n64 fps

not couting Soldier of Fortune, Maken X

Adventures game: Shenmue, Head Huntern Shado Man (superior version)...

Even the Sega Saturn is better than n64 for Fighting game , racing game , and shoot em up , so , the nintendo fan, thanks to learn the true video game history

The bolded ones are up for some serious debate my friend...

ibdjSQudf9Lotd.gif

DonMigs85

The machine was definitely a fighter's paradise...
But I'd say the PS2 easily usurped that position, as well as the FPS genre (although Xbox was the real king of all shooters in general for its gen).

ibdjSQudf9Lotd.gif

As much as I love the Dreamcast.... No, just no.

But I'd say the PS2 easily usurped that position, as well as the FPS genre (although Xbox was the real king of all shooters in general for its gen).

It really was, though you could make that same argument for the Sega Saturn as well, if you were into the Japanese import scene. It's a shame that the stock DC controller was so inept for fighting games though.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

ibdjSQudf9Lotd.gif
Very true. Though, I never thought that Mario 64 and Sonic Adventures 1,2,3,# were really in competition. Well, not nearly to the same degree they were during The Ye Ole' Battle of the 16 Bits. Sonics adventure was speed and reflex. M64 was platforming/adventure/exploring. Just my opinion though. I think of the 2 if I had to choose, I'd say Mario 64 was the better. But, thankfully I didn't have to choose.

Well, no reasonable person would argue that I'd think. But, I think I had more fun with the library of Dreamcast games than the PS2. While I think PS2 had substantially better games as a result of the sheer volume(DMC, MGS, GoW, etc.) It also had crappier titles as a result. But, it wasn't hard to filter which was shit and what wasn't if you had any type of google skills.

But DC still, even after the battle was over, still has a better fighting game on it (SC1, DOA2) than anything the PS2 put out. Even the same versions of DOA2 played better on DC. Regardless, it was a good time to be a gamer.

kunonabi

As much as I love the Dreamcast.... No, just no.

It really was, though you could make that same argument for the Sega Saturn as well (if you were into the Japanese import scene). It's a shame that the stock DC controller was so inept for fighting games though.

True but they certainly made up for it:

agetec.jpg

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
The Dreamcast had a pretty good shit to good ratio in its library I think. Someone should do research on that ratio.

Yeah, I never thought about it too much, but, it seemed to have more quality titles released over it's (very short) lifespan than most systems. I'm sure a vigilant Metacritic/Google champ could probably compile a list.

Seik

Banned
It really was, though you could make that same argument for the Sega Saturn as well, if you were into the Japanese import scene. It's a shame that the stock DC controller was so inept for fighting games though.

One good thing with NullDC is that, for now, Fighters are perfect and since its an emulator I can use this.

Feels good.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
One good thing with NullDC is that, for now, Fighters are perfect and since its an emulator I can use this.

Feels good.

Not that I'm worried about my setup. At all. But what are your PC specs that you use to run the emulators out of curiosity?

Seik

Banned
Not that I'm worried about my setup. At all. But what are your PC specs that you use to run the emulators out of curiosity?

Intel i5 2500K OCed @4.5Ghz.
Geforce 480 GTX
Corsair 8Gb DDR3

My PC was mainly built to run Dolphin and PCSX2 properly. Dreamcast just came out this week for me since I got my broadband adapter. I don't think you need that much CPU at all to run the emulator properly.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Intel i5 2500K OCed @4.5Ghz.
Geforce 480 GTX
Corsair 8Gb DDR3

My PC was mainly built to run Dolphin and PCSX2 properly. Dreamcast just came out this week for me since I got my broadband adapter. I don't think you need that much CPU at all to run the emulator properly.

Aren't most emulators CPU based though? I know I've never had problems with Dolphin and have yet to try a DC emulator but PS2 emulators are crazy demanding if you are trying to push the resolutions/frame rates.

So, I'm sure I missed it, but does the broadband adapter still work in the sense that you can play other DC owners?

jdl

Banned
anyone ever find a legit alternative to the default controller? That thing makes my hands bleed.

Seik

Banned
Aren't most emulators CPU based though? I know I've never had problems with Dolphin and have yet to try a DC emulator but PS2 emulators are crazy demanding if you are trying to push the resolutions/frame rates.

So, I'm sure I missed it, but does the broadband adapter still work in the sense that you can play other DC owners?

Well, like I said, my PC is mainly for Wii/GC/PS2 emulators. NullDC must be less demanding since its basically a less powerful console. Trying it would be the best option. If you have no problem with Dolphin I'm sure you'll be fine with this one.

There's still PSO servers with people playing. I didn't tried it yet but I want to give it a shot soon. My copy of PSO ver.2 is still sealed. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the DC server are crossplay with the PC servers. :p

Like this one: http://www.schtserv.com/

kunonabi

anyone ever find a legit alternative to the default controller? That thing makes my hands bleed.

standard controller always felt fine to me. I stopped using third party controllers early on since they kept frying my controller boards.

DonMigs85

You again? You pretty much just confirmed what I assumed about you in the last Dreamcast thread. Thanks for proving me right.

There's just too many appreciation threads for the ill-fated DC, I think this is the 4th in the last 2 months. While it certainly wasn't a bad system, I think this sentiment is driven more by nostalgia and love for "old" Sega.
GameCube should get more love - in many ways it was the Dreamcast's spiritual successor, other than the apathy towards online gaming.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
There's just too many appreciation threads for the ill-fated DC, I think this is the 4th in the last 2 months. While it certainly wasn't a bad system, I think this sentiment is driven more by nostalgia and love for "old" Sega.
GameCube should get more love - in many ways it was the Dreamcast's spiritual successor, other than the apathy towards online gaming.

Why don't you go stick to those threads then instead of shitting on all the Dreamcast threads? You clearly aren't as big a fan of a 13 y/o system as some of us, why come in here to pick a fight?

Seik

Banned
I totally forgot Silent Scope was on the Dreamcast. Did it ever come with a controller that worked in the same way as the arcade?

Nope, it would have been awesome but there's only the standard controller, when I saw it on Ebay I was like ''Fuck...I totally forgot about this one!'' *Buy it now*.

DonMigs85

Why don't you go stick to those threads then instead of shitting on all the Dreamcast threads? You clearly aren't as big a fan of a 13 y/o system as some of us, why come in here to pick a fight?

Alright alright, I'm leaving, I know when I'm licked.

sparky1.gif

Still the best unique unported no-sequel DC game

I have two broken Dreamcasts sitting in the cupboard, plus I had one before that too.

They all succumbed to that problem where they reset after bootup.
Shenmue 2 still sits there on the shelf unplayed......:(

DonMigs85

I have two broken Dreamcasts sitting in the cupboard, plus I had one before that too.

You can always try tracking down the Xbox version, if you're desperate enough. It's superior in most ways.

I recently acquired a once thought to be broken Dreamcast for free. I turned the system over and opened it, adjusted the laser, and now it works great.

Such a great system. It's just too bad I went Gamecube + PS2 back then.

Seik

Banned

This is a perfect example of why backing up a library is a good thing to do, in case the dreamcast dies, at least you're still able to play your games on your PC.

Sorry for your 2 Dreamcasts though, that sucks. :(

You can always try tracking down the Xbox version, if you're desperate enough. It's superior in most ways.

I have it and it does the job quite well indeed. :)

TaroYamada

That's a fairly easy to fix problem, I had it with a cast. I'm sure a guide can be found somewhere but I am about to hit the sack, so head off to google it.

True but they certainly made up for it:

agetec.jpg

Picked up two of those (and VMUs) at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo two years ago for 35 bucks each. I still consider it the finest retro-gaming pickup I've scored.

(got a DC keyboard and Typing of the Dead the same day, too. Dreamcast got a WORKOUT when I got home)

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
(got a DC keyboard and Typing of the Dead the same day, too. Dreamcast got a WORKOUT when I got home)

Ya know, I sadly have yet to get a keyboard for the DC. I bid on one on eBay a few months back but at the last min. some swooped in and took it. There is a PC version or Typing of the Dead that they used to train Japanese employees in Japan that I managed to get ahold of, but still, i've always wanted a Dreamcast one. One day.

Shion

No other console has ever managed to build such an amazing library of games in so little time imo.

Fresh ideas, new IPs, online gaming, Dreamcast had it all. It just gave us a huge quantity of awesome stuff in a very narrow time frame and that's why so many people are so fond of it.

And, honestly, I don't see what's wrong with that.

stn

Great console, I bought it just for Shenmue! I'm gonna dig up a copy of Capcom v. SNK 2, fantastic fighter that I've never owned.

IrishNinja

not with that horrible dub, it isnt - you can import the EU one on the cheap and play it without a swap disc, as i recall.

why come in these threads and do this, then?
i love the gamecube, but make a thread for it, ill post & show it love. also, if we're being honest, there's a much stronger argument to be made that the xbox was the DC's spiritual successor, given that's where Sega put its post-DC exclusives, and the way XBL was built on Sega.net's bones.

This thread made me dust off my Dreamcast and replay MDK 2. This game has been ported to other consoles including PC, and even received a bit of an HD facelift.

But it plays and looks great on the Dreamcast. Really one of my favorite action games on the console, and it is hard as nails too. Even for its day, this game was such a great throwback to the 16bit run and gun action games.

IrishNinja

lol, did you not read what we were talking about? I own the Dreamcast version, I just have 2 broken Dreamcasts and no way to play it.

nah, my bad - just read his comment on it being "superior in most ways" and obviously disagreed

buy a 3rd, they're cheap on ebay or gaf's buy/sell thread!

therapist

Dreamcast is definitely my favorite console of all time. I'm actually getting really close to finishing off my collection. A couple years ago I made a list of every DC game I had basically any interest in, and I've got all but 13. Though I'd be interested in adding stuff that's cool that I don't have on my list.

I have dynamite cop somewhere , ill look for you sometime this week , just pm me.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
NullDC is working great.

Is there an easy way to make the mouse work for lightgun games? Wanna get a lightgun working on this stuff.

I think the GameCube is a very underrated system, but its lineup is nowhere near as awesome as the Dreamcast lineup. The N64 had a handful of all-time awesome games, but it's not even as good as the GameCube lineup. I know a lot of people prefer the PSOne lineup, but eh. My gaming tastes trend way more towards arcade-style games. The only console close in my mind is SNES.

What's your take on the Neo Geo or Saturn then? They have many more arcade-style games than SNES.

Seik

Banned
NullDC is working great.

Is there an easy way to make the mouse work for lightgun games? Wanna get a lightgun working on this stuff.

Ugh, I'd like to tell you, but when I tried to rip my House of the Dead 2 copy yesterday it was too damaged to be ripped (showed a bunch of reading errors, that ONE scratch on my disc is a bad one it seems. :/). Though when I'm messing with the controller plugins there seems to be a few with 'mouse' written on it. I'd suggest trying those if you can.

Just tried Dynamite Cop! Works perfectly, This game is full of good things! :D

Dynamite Cop!

My DC hasn't been played up in years as it's too expensive to bother getting another VGA box.

I was thinking about emulating a couple of my games (F355 Challenge and Le Mans 24hrs) but with an older PC - E8400/GTX275. Could I run either without frameskip?

Persona7

Banned
How do you do the SD method? I have a reader but it doesn't work half the time, I think I just got a cheaply manufactured one because I see various different devices pop up on ebay. I don't see the version I got anymore.

Teknoman

Say, are Dreamcasts capable of outputting 240p? I'm thinking about buying an RGB cable for mine and adding it to my SD setup. VGA is quite wonderful and all, but I can't play games like Mars Matrix and Bangai-O since they're not compatible.

Mars Matrix works just fine for me via VGA. I need to find a good copy of Beserk NA...and Skies of Arcadia eventually. Timestalkers actually looks like fun, regardless of reviews.

Top Bottom