• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

How did I not notice this thread before...?

Anyway, here's my Dreamcast collection:

P4110016.jpg

Yeah...I keep doing this for every one of these console threads. Hah.

Anyway, is there anything missing here that perhaps I should look into? There were a few games I was thinking about getting before, but I can't remember what some of them were right now...but, I was tempted to get a copy of Puyo Puyo 4 the other day when I saw a listing of it for $5 on eBay. I wasn't able to get it, though. Heh.

Seik

Banned
You need to correct this in the OP. When using a VGA box games run in 800x600.

Nope.

The system's processor is a 200 MHz SH-4 with an on-die 128-bit vector graphics engine, 360 MIPS and 1.4 GFLOPS (single precision), using the vector graphics engine. The graphics hardware is a PowerVR2 CLX2 chipset, capable of 7.0 million polygons/second peak performance and trilinear filtering. Graphics hardware effects include gouraud shading, z-buffering, spatial anti-aliasing, per-pixel translucency sorting (also known as order independent translucency) and bump mapping. The system supports approximately 16.78 million colors (24-bit) color output and displays interlaced or progressive scan video at 640 × 480 video resolution.

EDIT:
How did I not notice this thread before...?

Unlike the Saturn's thread, the Dreamcast doesn't seems to get as much love from GAF, unfortunately. D:

Great collection by the way! I'll post mine when I'll open my boxes after moving. I need to do more testing with NullDC as well, but my head is elsewhere at the moment. I'll invest more time here soon. :)

IrishNinja

^nice as always, k-dash...and i didn't even know there was a DC puyo. always wanted to get more into that series, id imagine that one's the best of the lot?

I would like to buy a Dreamcast... but the problem is that even the second hand consoles are expensive as fuck.

...really? i replaced my japanese one a while back with a black sega sports unit for < $40, damn near new. i still see DC's pop up on my local craigslist for less than $50, often with games - pretty reasonable compared to say SNES and the like.

Dreamcasts are cheap on ebay and amazon its the rare shooters from japan that are expensive.

And I cant believe im still buying new games for it. Cant wait to play pier solar.

...really? i replaced my japanese one a while back with a black sega sports unit for < $40, damn near new. i still see DC's pop up on my local craigslist for less than $50, often with games - pretty reasonable compared to say SNES and the like.

Well i just want the console + Shenmue1+2. But everytime when Shenmue is with the console the price goes damn high.

NR1

I've been starting to pick up some used DC games as if late and they are still fantastic! Crazy Taxi, JSR, Sega Bass Fishing w/ rod controller... Ect... So many classics!

BTW, does anyone have a problem with playing certain games? My DC will no longer play Sega Rally 2, Ready 2 Rumble, Chu Chu Rocket, or Silent Scope. I try to play them and it will go past the main menu but then reset back to the DC main menu screen... What is really odd is that the systems can read the games perfectly as music CDs and I can listen to the music on them just fine.... What does that mean????

EDIT: I have an original non modded DC from the US launch.

televator

I've been on a SEGA rampage lately. As such, my DC collection has grown a bit. When I'm not lazy (good luck with that) I'll post up my appreciation of this fine system in the form of pics of what I have.

luffeN

The emulator has problem recognizing my 360 controller (wireless pc dongle). What do I need to use in Select Plugins?

Edit: I am on Windows 8 if that helps.

Seik

Banned
The emulator has problem recognizing my 360 controller (wireless pc dongle). What do I need to use in Select Plugins?

Edit: I am on Windows 8 if that helps.

I am on Win7 but I think it'll work anyway, so here:

UkkdhFB.png

Thanks, worked! Now are there any settings to make it run in HD and stuff? Currently it doesn't look like in your screenshots.

Option > PowerVR > Resolution: Maximum Supported (Highest quality)

luffeN

Thanks, worked! Now are there any settings to make it run in HD and stuff? Currently it doesn't look like in your screenshots.

NR1

Anyway, is there anything missing here that perhaps I should look into?

Looking at you photo, I will recommend:

-Sega Bass/Marine/Bass 2 Fishing w/ Rod
-Toy Commander
-Dynamite Cop (fantastic old school beat'um up)
-MDK2
-Seaman (most crazy game ever!)
-Silent Scope
-Sega Rally 2
-Dayton USA

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I've been starting to pick up some used DC games as if late and they are still fantastic! Crazy Taxi, JSR, Sega Bass Fishing w/ rod controller... Ect... So many classics!

BTW, does anyone have a problem with playing certain games? My DC will no longer play Sega Rally 2, Ready 2 Rumble, Chu Chu Rocket, or Silent Scope. I try to play them and it will go past the main menu but then reset back to the DC main menu screen... What is really odd is that the systems can read the games perfectly as music CDs and I can listen to the music on them just fine.... What does that mean????

Your laser probably needs realigning. It'll only get worse.

Thankfully it's as easy as turning a small screw on the disc drive.

^nice as always, k-dash...and i didn't even know there was a DC puyo. always wanted to get more into that series, id imagine that one's the best of the lot?

Thanks. :)

Anyway, there's that and Puyo Puyo Fever, as well, which I believe actually has an English option. I think 2 is generally considered the best game in the series, but that's not available on the Dreamcast, but the Super Famicom and Saturn versions should be the easiest console versions to import. It's available on just about everything nowadays, though, and is also out on the Wii Virtual Console.

Back to the Dreamcast games...Puyo Puyo 4/~n is okay, but really, really hard against the computer, and I think it's a slower game overall. It's one of the least popular games in series, as far as I know. It does have some nice art, though.

Puyo Puyo/Puyo Pop Fever is a much faster-paced game, and the more popular of the two. The computer is also a lot more fair. For the Dreamcast, I'd recommend Fever over 4/~n.

Both have 4-player options, though, so either one would make for a great party game.

Fever is also available in the US on GameCube and Nintendo DS, and in Europe on GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameBoy Advance, and Nintendo DS. The other console ports have some weird 3D camera effects during gameplay, though, which can be quite distracting (and might make you dizzy). The Dreamcast and handheld versions don't have that. There are also arcade, PC, MAC, iOS, and Android versions that were only released in Japan.

If you want to know more about the series, there's a really good article on it from Hardcore Gaming 101: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/puyo/puyopuyo.htm

Unlike the Saturn's thread, the Dreamcast doesn't seems to get as much love from GAF, unfortunately. D:

Great collection by the way! I'll post mine when I'll open my boxes after moving. I need to do more testing with NullDC as well, but my head is elsewhere at the moment. I'll invest more time here soon. :)

How strange...I always thought the Dreamcast was a lot more popular than the Saturn. :/

Oh, and thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing your collection soon!

Looking at you photo, I will recommend:

-Sega Bass/Marine/Bass 2 Fishing w/ Rod
-Toy Commander
-Dynamite Cop (fantastic old school beat'um up)
-MDK2
-Seaman (most crazy game ever!)
-Silent Scope
-Sega Rally 2
-Dayton USA

Funny thing...I have a fishing rod, but not any of the games...just the demos. Hah. Though I do have Sega Bass Fishing on the Xbox 360 through the Dreamcast Collection disc, which I really just bought for Space Channel 5: Part II. I also have MDK2 on the PlayStation 2.

I've always really wanted to get all of those games that you listed, though. I saw Daytona USA recently at a Play N Trade around here, so I might get that next time I'm there. I think they might have had Toy Commander, too, but I can't remember for sure. I do remember enjoying the Christmas-themed demo for it, though.

I think I've played all of those games in some form or another besides Seaman, though...but I've always wanted to get it. I regret not getting it back when Toys "&#1071;" Us always had it for like...$3 or something. Heh.

I need to start buying more Dreamcast games again. I've been mainly focusing on old cartridge-based games, and haven't bought much for any of the disc-based system...well, besides Sega CD, which I've actually gotten quite a few games for over the last year or two. I've only bought, like...one Saturn game in the last 8 or so years, and a small handful of Dreamcast ones. Most of what I have on both I got during their original life-cycle. I need to go get the stuff I'm missing...and also some more VMU's, because I'm basically out of memory on the 7 I already have. Hah.

Anyway, I'm now subscribed to the thread! Now, I just need some threads for the NES, TurboGrafx-16, Commodore 64, Game Gear, NeoGeo Pocket, Master System...the list goes on. Haha.

Jarnet87

I forgot how good the original Virtua Tennis is. Use to play all the time with friends and have doubles matches. It's quite deep too with the pro/career mode or w/e it's called and the mini games.

NR1

Your laser probably needs realigning. It'll only get worse.

Thankfully it's as easy as turning a small screw on the disc drive.

Tried getting the console open, but I need a smaller screwdriver for the last screw on the back left corner. I did clean the lens with some hydrogen peroxide and that did allow Silent Scope to start playing and Ready 2 Rumble to start to boot but get stuck on a white screen before going back to the DC main menu. Sega Rally 2 and Chu Chu Rocket still don't work at all.

Is it typical for an un-aligned laser to play most games but not a few? I have 16 games that work just fine as is...???

Yes Boss!

for scanline heads, SLG 3000 Review and demo with Dreamcast games
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vscKaVByjRU

Those are really perfect for the DC. I got it earlier this year and it is perfect. Don't really use it for the naomi-style games but for the sprite stuff it is fantastic. Amazing device for less than $100. Simple and "always on" and in the pipeline with instant controls...which is quite refreshing after dealing with an XRGB.

To qualify: I use the PVM with VGA and DC so the the polygon stuff gets its natural thin, thin scanlines for that stuff. SLG definitely helps when feeding to a LCD monitor via VGA...but like the video underscores, they should be set to low.

Jacobi

Banned
I really wish ShenMue was perfectly emulated. The graphical errors really brought me down from enjoying the game... Where's my 1080p version for marketplaces, Sega? After the whole ShenMue 3 debacle they could've at least have ported it...

This is my system GAF. Golden age for me, as I never got a PSX at the time and this was the 'newest thing' in gaming that I managed to get. Though I did get an N64, but that was different as I was a bit younger. The Dreamcast is when my perspective changed on gaming and what it meant to me. The game to do that? Shenmue!

Play it annually in December to mark that great time in my life when I first played through.

kunonabi

I love my Dreamcast, still hooked up today and it had some truly outstanding wrestling games. Hope it's ok to post a few photos from my collection?

Giant gram is amazing. Just an excellent combat system and oozes that SEGA arcade polish.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I still have my VMU from 2000 and I have the rear door but I'm missing the screw. Would I be able to just get one at a hardware store?

Tain

I grabbed Dynamite Deka 2 at PAX and kind of cracked up that it's apparently one of the few DC games you can't play through Utopia. No worries, I still have my Gameshark.

Oemenia

Banned
Whats the current DC emulation scene like, are there any that allow savestates and graphical filtering (2D and 3D)?

kunonabi

my friend and i both have DCs and his plays mvc2 but not kof 99DM while mine plays kof but not mvc2.

as for your situation you might want to try unplugging vmus or using a boot disc. i've had some games that were finnicky that way.

Tain

Not sure, but I'm guessing there are no differences. I actually didn't have any release, so I couldn't pass on it.

butanebob

Neo Member
Whats the current DC emulation scene like, are there any that allow savestates and graphical filtering (2D and 3D)?

Depends on the game. Some of them are still a bit glitchy looking. (I tried playing Rayman 2 via NullDC the other night and half of the textures were missing.)

NullDC and Demul are your best pick for emulators. Demul has shader options if you want to filter the graphics.

canocha

I just got a few Dreamcast goodies myself:

rROS7KV.jpg

The stickers are removable (since its on the plastic and not on the case)

qVDpVPX.jpg

Sealed Racing Controller.. i managed to see a cable, but not the controller itself! But since both seals are intact, im assuming its not a box of shoes or something!

Will probably sell Bleemcast and open the controller! :)

I just found out EGG didn't came out in Europe.. and i'm not very happy with it!!!

NR1

Just got my hands on a good condition copy of Capcom Vs Marvel 2 for $14!! Heck yea!! I've never seen a good condition copy for less that $35 before (some copies with no case/booklet or in poor physical condition). Now I just need to find the Street Fighters at a good price...

Heh, Marvel 2 pricing has been all over the map over the years, hasn't it? I remember when the PS2 version, which is the worst port, was going for over $70.

canocha

I've been trying to get my old Dreamcast collection back (needed money).

wjz3URA.jpg

Got a few more games to go, specially Skies of Arcadia and Sonic Adventures 2... not cheap in Europe!

But at least i already have Shenmue 1 and 2 with the Cardboard box.

binary

For those of you seeking the best picture quality possible on an HDTV that doesn't have a VGA input, I highly recommend picking up the Atlona AT HdView VGA to HDMI scaler.  It upscales the VGA signal to HDMI. It runs around $100 online, but if you want your Dreamcast games to look as good as you remember them being, this is your best option. It's important to note that you need a VGA box in order to use this product though, but it seems like many of you already have one.

Before I bought the scaler, I hooked up my Dreamcast via the composite cables and the games were mostly a blurry mess. The poor image quality actually kept me from playing my Dreamcast more often. The scaler breathes new life into old Dreamcast games. It's like playing an XBLA version of all your old favorite Dremcast games. I recently completed Ecco the Dolphin: DOTF (for the very first time) using the Atlona HDview and I was in awe of the graphics like it was the year 2000 all over again.

While on the topic of Ecco, that game was one of the most haunting, cerebral and difficult games I've ever played. As difficult as the game was though, it was refreshing how it didn't hold your hand at all. It conjures a real sense of mystery behind everything in the game world which is lacking from most modern games.

Next up is Resident Evil Code: Veronica! It's the only other Dreamcast game I own that I never managed to beat.

Yes Boss!

Sucks,

I got drunk and forgot to check my eBay. Missed out on a $28 complete and mint Cosmic Smash. :-(

That would have been a perfect price as I'm looking for $30-ish.

Go319

what is GAF using to play their DC's on new LCDs with decent picture quality?

Im tempted by this solution i found on youtube

anyone else have any other solutions?

I know you can get it to connect via HDMI but im in PAL land and was told that it wasn't an option for us....and even if so, is it really worth the hassle?

Go319

Oh cool a Dreamcast thread. My small Dreamcast collection:

I'm looking for a video cable option too. The one I bought came with a shitty Mad Catz RF adaptor :/

RF?? no. nonononono.

Get urself a VGA adaptor and a monitor thats what im using atm, just wanting to connect it to my new TV so will await GAFs recommendations...

Top Bottom