• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast: Collected Works book Kickstarter by ROM (Genesis Collected Works)

PaulLFC

ZyU5DXI.png

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darrenwall/sega-dreamcast-collected-works/description

£68,000 goal

"SEGA Dreamcast: Collected Works is the definitive history of the cult games console, produced in collaboration with SEGA. This large format, deluxe hardback will feature a dazzling collection of never-before-published materials and specially commissioned editorial, offering unprecedented insight into the creation of the Dreamcast console and its celebrated library of games."

Launched in 1998, the Dreamcast was SEGA's most ambitious – and last – home games console. The first console with on-board internet connectivity and host to a range of innovative, critically lauded games such as Shenmue, Jet Set Radio and Phantasy Star Online, the Dreamcast remains revered as a stage for creativity, innovation and originality.

This high end publication, created with the full support of SEGA itself, will document the creation of the console and its most iconic games – from pop hits such as Crazy Taxi and Sonic Adventure to arcane curiosities like Space Channel 5 and Segagaga.

SEGA Dreamcast: Collected Works, if funded, will be the authoritative resource on SEGA's last console: exhaustively researched, beautifully designed, and manufactured to the highest standards – an essential volume for any videogame aficionado.

A follow-on publication to our acclaimed 2014 release, SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis: Collected Works, the book will feature a rich variety of content: manufacturing prototypes, stunning photography of rare hardware, game development materials, and sumptuous game imagery.

Love the Mega Drive book, but I'll echo others in saying the cover of this one just looks poorly done. Maybe the physical copy would look far better, but I'm not impressed with that mock-up.

groansey

Damn, first time I missed out on the early bird offer for one of these. It went live before the emailed out etc. Still, ROM books are the best in the business so worth the money.

nny

I think the cover is designed to fit in with the design of the Mega Drive one:

JmVJpGN.png

They're designed so that the Mega Drive and Dreamcast are facing the middle, admiring the beautiful Saturn book that will be published later.
Hopefully.

Zia

Guys, ROM makes the best books on video games from both a design and editorial standpoint. I'm sure it'll be majestic, cover and all.

Wish the special editions weren't quite so astronomicically expensive though.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
You guys are making me want to back this (£45 shipped to Canada) and buy the Genesis book (£44 shipped to Canada) from their site. God damn that's a lot of money.

The Mega Drive/Genesis book is amazing. So being a huge Dreamcast fan I'm naturally all over this.

Now which slipcase should I choose??? All those games ware some of my favorites!

You guys are making me want to back this (£45 shipped to Canada) and buy the Genesis book (£44 shipped to Canada) from their site. God damn that's a lot of money.

Trust me, if you love the Mega Drive, it's an amazing book, and beautifully made. Skip a meal out, skip a game or two and buy them, you definitely won't regret it (or ask for them for a present!)

:)

Baconmonk

Backed!

The Dreamcast was released at a special time in my life. I was in high school, and had a job to buy all the games I wanted for the first time ever. It was the first console I could buy ALMOST all the games I wanted near launch if I managed my money carefully enough. Turns out historically it ended up being an anomaly also, for entirely different reasons. The memories of busting controller triggers on Crazy Taxi, raging multiplayer Chu Chu Rocket, the coolness of Jet Set, and the obligatory MvC matches will always be stand out to me.

ranmafan

The Mega Drive/Genesis book was fantastic! One of the best gaming books I've ever bought. Absolutely getting this as the dreamcast is my favorite sega console. Hope it includes some Sakura Taisen art inside as well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hoping to back this. Their Mega Drive/Genesis one was fantastic & this should be equally interesting. Shipping to the US brings the book to about $57 (shame I missed out on the early bird price), so I'm gonna have to wait & see what my budget looks like.

EU seems to publish more interesting gaming books, but that means it's a pain having to pay $10+ shipping unless I can find it someplace else like Book Depository.

Top Bottom