• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast: Collected Works book Kickstarter by ROM (Genesis Collected Works)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The Saturn is frankly a much less popular system in the English speaking world, so it makes sense to cover the DC first. DC had a great year where everyone was wondering if Sega was back. Turns out they were not back. Saturn was a few years of misery for the fans in NA and Europe and then nothing for a few more.

Zia

Some of those pages look empty. No verbiage at all. Not sure how I feel about that.

The books are really elegantly designed and the writing is often separated from the "gallery" sections. You can look at examples of already published work on their website. That said, while the Britsoft, Bitmap and Sensible books are lit first and foremost, the Genesis book is largely an art book with some solid interviews (the Madden stuff is some of the most interesting games history I've read), so I'd expect similar here.

And you guys are crazy with the cover stuff. Looks great alongside the Genesis/MD book.

RAIDEN1

Can't believe it if it met it's target it would take them the back end of 2018 to get it out...not as if the console lasted all that long anyway that there is such a vast scope of info to cover..

I missed this somehow, until just now. Their Mega Drive book is my favorite game book I own, and I own many.

I could possibly be tempted by that PSO limited edition if I just could see what it looks like...that's a lot of cash to buy blind.

EDIT: Yeah nevermind, I am blind lol. The PSO edition is cool, but not quite $200 cool. I look forward to buying this though!

Daingurse

I missed this somehow, until just now. Their Mega Drive book is my favorite game book I own, and I own many.

I could possibly be tempted by that PSO limited edition if I just could see what it looks like...that's a lot of cash to buy blind.

I'd love to have that PSO edition too, but that shit is too rich for my blood. I'm gonna have to be content with the book, but if they add a Skies of Arcadia variant then I'm screwed. I'd have to put the money down in that case.

PaulLFC

Just had an email detailing a Tetsuya Mizuguchi signed edition being added tomorrow:

I'm happy to announce that tomorrow – Thursday 21 September at 12:00 GMT – we're releasing a new reward – signed copies of Sega Dreamcast: Collected Works by Rez and Space Channel 5 creator Tetsuya Mizuguchi.

Given the overwhelming speed at which all of our Naoto Ohshima signed editions were snapped up, we'd recommend getting in quickly! The reward is limited to 50 copies only.

I'll see the Miz appreciators amongst you tomorrow at 12:00 GMT.
No price details but given the Naoto Ohshima signed edition was £75, I would imagine the same price will apply here.

PaulLFC

Have they mentioned anything about a Saturn book?
No confirmation, but this comment from the creator seems to indicate it's more than likely:

The Saturn wasn't skipped, I'm glad to say! We received so many requests for a Dreamcast title, we decided to tackle that next. Hopefully there will be more Collected Works in the future, including a Saturn title.

There's also this small bit of extra info on the slipcase editions, although not much in the way of detail:

The Shenmue special edition will be the same internally, but rebound in high quality materials and housed in our limited case. It will be a beautiful item – a significant cut above a typical special edition item!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So will there be any way of getting this book after the kickstarter outside of buying it directly from Read-Only Memory? $57 is a bit expensive for me, but if it's the cheaper price compared to getting it from their store, I might give in & cancel my FE Warriors LE so I can get this instead. Still bummed I didn't know about this earlier to get the book for only £33, or $43ish.

Meanwhile, they posted this update yesterday which goes into more details about the special editions & such.

goodcow

The Saturn is frankly a much less popular system in the English speaking world, so it makes sense to cover the DC first. DC had a great year where everyone was wondering if Sega was back. Turns out they were not back.

Sega was back, but they ran out of money.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Reminder that this ends tomorrow at 5 p.m. Eastern/2 p.m. Pacific, so if you wanna back it, do it now.

I asked on Twitter & they said pre-orders for the book will be open in a few weeks, but your name won't be in the book & you won't get the backer-exclusive Shenmue bookmark.

Orta

Banned
New book by Darren Wall to be revealed at 10am BST (48 mins)

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/darrenwall

A new ROM book launches tomorrow!
Posted by Darren Wall (Creator)​

Dear Sega Mega Drive/Genesis: Collected Works backer,
I wanted to give you a heads up that the latest Read-Only Memory book will go live on Kickstarter tomorrow, Thursday 12 July at 10AM BST.
The publication is our third collaboration with SEGA, and will be authored by Guardian writer and bestselling novelist Keith Stuart. We'd love your help to make this new book a reality – it's like nothing we've created before and we're confident it will get pulses racing for any videogame connoisseur.
A number of discounted Early Bird rewards will be available at launch – we've noticed these get snapped up very quickly, so do make sure you're tuned in at 10AM BST if you'd like to pledge for one

Stevey

I have the Bitmap Brothers one and the Mega Drive one.
Amazing books.
No interest in the Dreamcast though

Orta

Banned
Emails sent out today asking for benefactors to confirm their names to be included in the book.

Shouldn't be long now :)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I think the cover is designed to fit in with the design of the Mega Drive one:

JmVJpGN.png
Mega Drive looks better cos it only has the circle, DC with having the buttons and stuff looks like the book's shape should represent the whole system and therefor the perspective looks all wrong.

No photo editing skills here but ms painted this, would be even better without the other lines and made less realistric/more like a graphic as the Mega Drive one.
jmvjpgn33fxojodx5.png

Last edited:

ranmafan

How time flies! Can’t wait to get my copy. The mega drive book was fantastic. I know they will hit another homerun with this one. Hopefully a Saturn book happens one day as well.

Top Bottom