• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Files Videogame Trademark For "Sonic Colors"

Suzuki Yu

i noticed something from the lizuka interview . when he answered the question regarding the team that is handling the project right now , and he said :

their teams (he means the Wii & DS ver) are primarily comprised of the planners , designers , and programmers who worked on Sonic Unleashed & Sonic Black Knight .

that means that sonic team staff are working together now after the merger .

so it's not by SR/BK team . it's not by Unleashed team . it's just the big Sonic Team from now on .

Zen

Banned
Suzuki Yu said:
i noticed something from the lizuka interview . when he answered the question regarding the team that is handling the project right now , and he said :

so it's not by SR/BK team . it's not by Unleashed team . it's just the big Sonic Team from now on .

When did they merge?

RobbieNick

Sega1991 said:

Thank you for that. The facts are.

2D Lock-on = Stupid

3-D Lock-On = Good.

Suzuki Yu said:

That's great to hear. This can only help the franchise in the future.

Suzuki Yu

Zen said:
When did they merge?

before there was SEGA CS 1 ( SK/BK team ) and SEGA CS3 ( Unleashed / Phantasy star team ) and SEGA USA studio ( lizuka's team )

now days they are all gathered in one team SEGA CS2

there are three major CS teams since at least the last year ( the new SEGA's Studios structure ) , in addition to CS2 ( sonic team ) there are CS1 ( Nagoshi's team ) & CS3 ( Valkyria Chronicles/Phantasy star team )

you can also check the special thanks in SaSASR if you want

at 4:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6dYPsWF75M

you will notice that the whole sonic team members are now under the CS2 R&D

Checked out some non blurry scans... have to say I may actually buy this game. If I do, it will be the first time since Sonic Heroes that I have bought a Sonic game. I think it's the lack of a "gimmick" (besides the food themed levels) and seemingly straightforwardness of the gameplay that has me genuinely interested this time around.

Luigiv

Why is everyone getting hyped up over the games graphics? Don't forget, Secret Rings and Black Knight had great graphics too. Didn't stop them from playing poorly.

ah sonic cycle every time i thought i was out out, you pull me back in. love the art direction, gameplay concepts & lizuka's comments about the franchise. i know i might get dissapointed at the end yet again but who cares!? i'm a sega fan who loves sonic, i'm used to being abused.

Luigiv said:
Why is everyone getting hyped up over the games graphics? Don't forget, Secret Rings and Black Knight had great graphics too. Didn't stop them from playing poorly.

It's more than just the graphics, I think it's the art design, too.

I'm pretty pumped for this game. Sega really seem to be trying hard to restore Sonic here with with a fantasy-themed colourful game for the Wii and a hardcore effort on the HD consoles with Sonic 4.

I mean they're really trying. For this they have to be at least commended. The delay for Sonic 4 was the first delay for a Sonic game in how long? Ever? They even split Sonic 3 back in the day to avoid a delay and that was when Sonic was in his prime.

Some stuff from NoGintendo

RMC said:
-Dr. Robotnik has pulled the planets together with a tractor beam, transforming them into an amusement park
- visit various planets
- choose planets from a world-map screen
- you sometimes have the freedom of picking where to go next
- Tropical Resort Zone: Neon lights, water fountains, spotlights, Giant Ferris wheels, Dr. Robotnik’s voice can be heard on the PA system, Ferris wheel turns into a robot
- Sweet Mountain Zone: Donuts, pancakes, other food, lots of drill usage
- At the end of each level, Sonic steps on a button to free Wisps from a metal capsule
- At least 8 planets
- Consistent frame rate
- Upbeat, jazzy soundtrack
- Bosses from the Wii game will appear in the background of the DS version and vice versa
- Globe-like robot boss battle in DS version

I don't know what I like more, that they ripped off the SMG2 worldmap or the "consistent framerate.

DeVeAn

I saw some scans and man, these levels are more Sonic like as opposed to realistic ones. I am glad.

RobbieNick

37567_sonic_colors.jpg

Willy105 did this on the Sega forums. Looks nice.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I dunno guys. That nunchuk thing just writes a big DO NOT WANT over the game's boxart for me.

WillyFive

RobbieNick said:
Willy105 did this on the Sega forums. Looks nice.

How did that get on the Sega forums? I don't go there. I made that box for VGBoxart.

Edit: I see it now. Well, at least they liked it.

ILikeFeet

Banned
never doubted that this looks good. now how does it play? can I get through the levels without using the powerups? and how's the music?

RobbieNick

Me and Nuckles87 from Sonic Stadium (well, I'm a staff member too now) are the first tomorrow with hands on and an interview!! Can't wait!!:D

RobbieNick said:
Me and Nuckles87 from Sonic Stadium (well, I'm a staff member too now) are the first tomorrow with hands on and an interview!! Can't wait!!:D

:O Congrats!

Check for the Wii version's framerate and ask about which composers are involved on the Wii version as well please!

fernoca

Kinda hard not trying to get excited for this game..bot the Nintendo Power too with it..and is...really nice. :D

My only complaint with Unleashed was that thwere was too much ..blah blah blah...
Just starting....

blah blah blah
blah blah blah
blah blah blah
Go to town
Read Read Read
Read Read Read
Read Read Read
blah blah blah
blah blah blah
blah blah blah
*FIRST LEVEL*
blah blah blah
blah blah blah
blah blah blah
blah blah blah
blah blah blah
blah blah blah
Read Read Read
Read Read Read
Read Read Read
Fix that, and day one... :p

Davey Cakes

It looks interesting. There's a level of abstractness to it that I can't help but appreciate. I mean, giant cheeseburger stacks? Really? This level of creative thinking, as wacky as it may be, still makes for more promising content than the fucking Werehog.

Of course, I won't hold my breath. I absolutely loved Sonic & the Secret Rings, enough to play it for 13 hours, even with its flaws. That game was just fun for me. The spiritual sequel, Black Knight, looked pretty damn great, if not better than Secret Rings, through screens and trailers, all the way up to its release.

As promising as Colors might seem, whether now or in the future, you just can't know how good or bad a game like this is until you actually hear impressions or play it yourself. Media can be extremely misleading, again as the case was with Black Knight.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Willy105 said:
Why do you want to play this game?

take a fucking guess. <_< at least I got Sonic Unleashed for half price instead of full. still kinda think it wasn't worth it due to the boring ass werehog. the sad, pathetic hope that Colors is Unleased but with no nighttime levels and the level design of the HD versions. but mainly the music.

Looking good. Reminds me a lot of Unleashed normal Sonic levels and that's a good thing. I hope they allow classic controller pro to be used with this game. I really don't like using the wiimote to control Sonic. I could see myself really having fun with this game.

Vizion28

Banned
Sonic Colors has to be the most colorful game I ever seen. It's like one big rainbow. And I love it! The game looks absolutely gorgeous. But is the game fun? That's the most important thing. I will wait to read reviews and impressions.

RobbieNick

As I mentioned in the other Colors Forum, I played the game and loved it. It's all about having fun. Even the score and grade at the end are interactive with Sonic. The power ups are one gimmick that really works great. It was a bit easy, but other than that, I had a great time.

Top Bottom