• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Files Videogame Trademark For "Sonic Colors"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
UPDATE:

So apparently the game was just announced. Thanks Wizpig.

Wizpig said:
Teaser Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFcW6ZeRyFo

Press Release, translated with Google because obviously I'm lazy and I'm not going to do it myself.

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (May 26th, 2010) SEGA ® Europe Ltd. & SEGA ® America, Inc. today announced Sonic ™ Colours, the new high-speed adventure of our famous hero Sonic the Hedgehog. Struggling with saving a colorful alien race fall into the clutches of Dr. Eggman, Sonic will face many obstacles along an inspired sci-fi themed amusement park. Sonic Colours will be available on Wii ™ and Nintendo DS ™ at the end of 2010.

A unique playground has been seen orbiting the planet of Sonic the Hedgehog. Some rumors speak of an alien race called wisps, with a rare colored energy, which is now imprisoned here, by the evil Dr. Eggman. Sonic, once arrived on the planet's entertainment, you can use immediately made aware of this rare power to help colored wisps in the escape! The Wii version of Sonic Colours combines both 2D and 3D gaming perspective, while the Nintendo DS version takes advantage of the characteristics of the double-screen console.

"The lively alien universe of Sonic Colours allows players to race at breakneck speed along amazing planets, each with its peculiarities and unique visual style." Comment on Gary Knight, Senior Vice President of Marketing SEGA. "In addition to classic Sonic gameplay, new power-wisps, they offer an innovative way to explore these new worlds and help Sonic to run faster than ever!"

The new Sonic hedgehog Colours see our dear speeding, jumping off himself among enemies like never before in a Sonic game. The aliens WISPs are able to free their "Colour Power" that can be absorbed by Sonic drilling to create new roads, for example, the ground (via the Yellow Drill), or go through the whole internship at supersonic speed (thanks to Cyan Laser). Combining the different available energies can further increase the speed of Sonic and his abilities beyond imagination. Lots of power ups and exclusive versions will be available for Wii and Nintendo DS for a brand new super-fast gameplay of Sonic for fans around the world.

Sonic Colours will be available on Wii ™ and Nintendo DS ™ at the end of 2010.
Galaxies Worlds and power-ups.
But it will be super-fast à la Unleashed, probably.
Sounds fun even if it's probably super low-budget, we'll see.

UPDATE 2:

So it seems these are the details. Thanks V_Ben.

V_Ben said:
more for you;

4639658251_54f56822ec.jpg

We’re excited to announce a brand-new game for Sonic the Hedgehog! Sonic Colors is a high speed action-adventure in which Sonic races through theme park-inspired worlds to rescue a colorful alien race from the clutches of Dr. Eggman. An extraordinary amusement park has been seen orbiting around the home planet of Sonic the Hedgehog, and rumors are spreading that an alien race of Wisps, who have a unique colorful energy, are being held captive there by the evil Dr. Eggman. Soon after arriving at the amusement park, Sonic discovers he is able to use these mysterious alien forces to help the Wisps escape!

Sonic Colors will be available on the Wii and the Nintendo DS around holiday 2010. Sonic Colors for the Wii seamlessly combines both 3D and classic 2D game play perspectives, while the Nintendo DS version takes full advantage of the console’s dual screen.

4640254774_3a97c02e79.jpg

Sonic Colors sees Sonic accelerating to adrenaline-pumping super speeds and blasting through obstacles in ways never before seen in a Sonic game. The alien Wisps featured in the game each have a unique “Color Power” that, once freed, Sonic is able to absorb while speeding through the various theme park inspired planets. The Wisp energy enables Sonic to create new paths through the stages by drilling through the ground (Yellow Drill) for example, or speeding through the stage as a laser (Cyan Laser). Stringing the Wisp power-ups together creates a combo that increases Sonic’s boost gauge even more quickly. Exclusive Wisp power-ups will be available for both Wii and the Nintendo DS versions, ensuring a unique and super speedy gameplay experience for Sonic fans everywhere.

4639647573_0c13310c5e.jpg

We’ve got these screens and more on our new Sonic Colors set on Flickr, and a trailer for you below!

woo :D

---------

Apparently Sega has filed a videogame trademark for Sonic Colors.

Siliconera said:
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 may not be the only Sonic game in development at Sega. I scanned the USPTO and found a trademark for Sonic Colors filed by none other than Sega.

Rights for Sonic Colors only extend to computer game programs and video game software. That narrows it down and let’s us know Sega isn’t planning a super secret line of Sonic the Hedgehog coloring books.

So what is Sonic Colors? We want to know, but will probably have to wait until E3 to find out.
Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2010/05/26/we-want-to-know-more-about-sonic-colors/

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
They took Huelen10's post to heart.
How do you like dem eyes?

Peff

Wasn't Sonic originally a rabbit like Oswald to Mickey?

And Epic Mickey is about coloring the environments...

Lijik

Willy105 said:
Sounds like fun.

See. See, this is why Sega thinks they can halfass things. We literally know nothing about this game other than Sonic is probably in it, and you go "SOUNDS LIKE FUN"

Wizpig

Teaser Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFcW6ZeRyFo

Press Release, translated with Google because obviously I'm lazy and I'm not going to do it myself.

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (May 26th, 2010) SEGA ® Europe Ltd. & SEGA ® America, Inc. today announced Sonic ™ Colours, the new high-speed adventure of our famous hero Sonic the Hedgehog. Struggling with saving a colorful alien race fall into the clutches of Dr. Eggman, Sonic will face many obstacles along an inspired sci-fi themed amusement park. Sonic Colours will be available on Wii ™ and Nintendo DS ™ at the end of 2010.

A unique playground has been seen orbiting the planet of Sonic the Hedgehog. Some rumors speak of an alien race called wisps, with a rare colored energy, which is now imprisoned here, by the evil Dr. Eggman. Sonic, once arrived on the planet's entertainment, you can use immediately made aware of this rare power to help colored wisps in the escape! The Wii version of Sonic Colours combines both 2D and 3D gaming perspective, while the Nintendo DS version takes advantage of the characteristics of the double-screen console.

"The lively alien universe of Sonic Colours allows players to race at breakneck speed along amazing planets, each with its peculiarities and unique visual style." Comment on Gary Knight, Senior Vice President of Marketing SEGA. "In addition to classic Sonic gameplay, new power-wisps, they offer an innovative way to explore these new worlds and help Sonic to run faster than ever!"

The new Sonic hedgehog Colours see our dear speeding, jumping off himself among enemies like never before in a Sonic game. The aliens WISPs are able to free their "Colour Power" that can be absorbed by Sonic drilling to create new roads, for example, the ground (via the Yellow Drill), or go through the whole internship at supersonic speed (thanks to Cyan Laser). Combining the different available energies can further increase the speed of Sonic and his abilities beyond imagination. Lots of power ups and exclusive versions will be available for Wii and Nintendo DS for a brand new super-fast gameplay of Sonic for fans around the world.

Sonic Colours will be available on Wii ™ and Nintendo DS ™ at the end of 2010.

Galaxies Worlds and power-ups.
But it will be super-fast à la Unleashed, probably.
Sounds fun even if it's probably super low-budget, we'll see.

I BET THE COLOURS ARE BLUE, RED, WHITE AND SHIT-BROWN

Amirite

edit: beaten by the trailer, it seems that shit-brown isn't in at all after all. Apologies to all.

Lijik

Okay that does sound pretty fun.

Also is it just me or are Sonic's proportions shorter in that trailer?

Peff

Well it's not like the teaser shows anything at all, really. The press release makes it sound like a Galaxy rip-off, which is a fantastic thing, but as usual we should be wary of "fater than ever" and all that stuff. I kinda want to see the actual game.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Mockingbird said:
So is this part of the storybook series along with The Secret Rings and The Black Knight?
Yes, it's loosely based on Gray's Anatomy.

LiK

Peff said:
Well it's not like the teaser shows anything at all, really. The press release makes it sound like a Galaxy rip-off, which is a fantastic thing, but as usual we should be wary of "fater than ever" and all that stuff. I kinda want to see the actual game.
Ah, Galaxy. You might be right

Wizpig

Mockingbird said:
So is this part of the storybook series along with The Secret Rings and The Black Knight?
The Storybook series can be considered dead, I think.
The premise for this one is not a classic tale at all... if you don't consider Mario Galaxy a classic tale, that is.

I would say "day-one", but frankly that CG trailer doesn't show anything, it came out before the press release and I was expecting a low-budget party game or something... but NOW I think it's definitely going to be a (low-budget) platform.
Still, I have to see the differences between the Wii and DS versions, etc.

In a perfect world this would be a Wii exclusive... and they would be developing Sonic Rush 3 on the DS.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
If its anything like the Daytime portions of Wii Unleashed, count me in. Call them a "rail platformer" if you like, but those were damn fun.

USE THE POWER OF THE LUMAS WISPS SONIC!

Lijik said:
Also is it just me or are Sonic's proportions shorter in that trailer?

Something does look a little different, like his torso's been shrunk a bit. I'm sure someone will have a comparison image soon proving otherwise, though.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
PetriP-TNT said:
I BET THE COLOURS ARE BLUE, RED, WHITE AND SHIT-BROWN

Amirite

edit: beaten by the trailer, it seems that shit-brown isn't in at all after all. Apologies to all.
:lol

TreIII

So...let me get this straight.

An obviously "mainstream catering" Sonic title is also in the works. It will likely have all o the series' familiar "Homing Attacks" and various other gimmicks that will make kids happy.

That much said...is there really any effective reason that could be given for why Sonic 4 was constructed in such a fashion, as well? :lol

Rlan

Looks fuggin weird.
More shitty friends

Interested in whatever the DS version is, at least. Love Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure to bits.

So it this basically Sonic Unleashed without the Werehog stages? The day time stages in Unleashed were decent.
I have this weird feeling they're going to add something like the werehog in the game.

remz

An obviously "mainstream catering" Sonic title is also in the works. It will likely have all o the series' familiar "Homing Attacks" and various other gimmicks that will make kids happy.
So SEGA are making like... at least 4 differant sonic games at once right now

TunaLover

The Wii version of Sonic Colours combines both 2D and 3D gaming perspective, while the Nintendo DS version takes advantage of the characteristics of the double-screen console.
This and the planet aspect give the impression that Sega wants to go SMG2 route, hopefully the game delivers, I'm not expecting something mindblowing, but at least decent.

The_Technomancer said:
If its anything like the Daytime portions of Wii Unleashed, count me in. Call them a "rail platformer" if you like, but those were damn fun.

I second this statement. The Wii daytime stages for sonic unleashed were fine. If they are developing an entire game based on that engine, it has the potential to be good. Hopefully there will be gameplay trailers at E3.

Rlan

I will say though, horrible name just for the fact that they chose one of the few words that's spelt differently across the Western world :lol

Sadist

At first it sounds like a mini-game collection, but it's a adventure game?

Guess Sega is banking on Sonic's Wii success.

Well.

At least they didn't call it "Sonic Rainbow".

Or "Sonic Kissy Kiss Kiss Smooch"

Or "Sonic's Happy Kawaii-Kawaii Time UGUUU~~~"

Rlan said:
I will say though, horrible name just for the fact that they chose one of the few words that's spelt differently across the Western world :lol

The Canadian Boxart better have the 'u' in colour or no sale. :D

Lijik

Shadowlink said:
So it this basically Sonic Unleashed without the Werehog stages? The day time stages in Unleashed were decent.
I have this weird feeling they're going to add something like the werehog in the game.
Spacehog with the power of the Rainbow. Believe.

Top Bottom