• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Forever subscription service coming soon?

Actually, I'd rather just get Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection again, and would only pay for some kind of Sega channel like this if I could access all my long lost loves from the Sega Saturn.

Tailzo

If it's just:

Here pay monthly for these sega master system and sega megadrive roms that you already bought, then no thank you.

But if it is;

Here, pay monthly for all our firts party console games of the past, and our greatest aracde hits, ready for your PC, PS4 and Switch, then yes please!

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Actually, I'd rather just get Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection again, and would only pay for some kind of Sega channel like this if I could access all my long lost loves from the Sega Saturn.

If Sega is smart, they are going to go a long way beyond the typical "Genesis Collection" nonsense they have been peddling in different forms and on different platforms for 2 decades now. Go big with it, SMS through Dreamcast, plus games they have released since their first party exodus. They have hundreds of classics.

RPGs - Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Sword of Vermillion, Skies of Arcadia, Oasis games, etc.

Strategy/Puzzle - Puyo Puyo, Columns, Chu Chu Rocket, etc

Racing - Daytona, Sega Rally, Virtua Racing, Crazi Taxi, Hang-On, OutRun, Power Drift, Sonic & Sega All-Stars, RC Grand Prix, etc.

Sports - (not sure how licensing would work out, but they created some of the best sports games for many years)

Fighting - Virtua Fighter, Eternal Champions, Fighters Megamix, Fighting Vipers, Last Bronx, etc.

Action/Arcade/Etc. - Streets of Rage, Jet Set Radio, Panzer Dragoon, Sonic, Altered Beast, Alex Kidd, Zillion, Guardian Heroes, Burning Rangers, Crazy Taxi, Virtual On, Wonder Boy, NiGHTS, Dynamite Cop, Ecco the Dolphin, Space Harrier, Galaxy Force, Golden Axe, etc, etc, etc.

If they play their cards right and get native Sega Forever multi-player with lobbies in the vein of GGPO or FightCade, You could have a Sega console on your iPad, PC, or Android device... Even better with cloud saves.

I would pay a monthly subscription or per game fee for this type of service, no doubt about it.

"Make it cheap or I'll steal it instead".

That's the reality of it. If they want to make a platform that does better than just selling some copies of Sonic the Hedgehog and Streets of Rage, they have to price reasonably. Games like the Revenge of Shinobi and Ristar are amazing, but they aren't exactly on the level of Super Mario Bros. and the Legend of Zelda as far as brand recognition goes. You're not going to get the casual audience that blindly pays 5 dollars for the same NES games every time a new Nintendo console comes out to pay similar prices for deep SEGA cuts. This is going to attract a more savvy group of people that are more susceptible to pirating old games (whether it's because they've already bought those games plenty of times in the past or their perceived value of retro games is minuscule), and the way to combat that is, in addition to doing what Nintendon't as far as bonus features are concerned (which already proved successful with their mod support), making these games affordable.

They already sell Genesis games for 3 dollars a pop on Steam with semi-frequent discounts, so I don't see why that wouldn't be a reasonable baseline if they sell them à la carte.

Neptonic

SEGA is quickly going from a developer/publisher I couldn't care about anymore to one of my favorites recently, due to stuff like this. Hope it's real and has a large selection available.

Dambrosi

Banned
If Sega is smart, they are going to go a long way beyond the typical "Genesis Collection" nonsense they have been peddling in different forms and on different platforms for 2 decades now. Go big with it, SMS through Dreamcast, plus games they have released since their first party exodus. They have hundreds of classics.

RPGs - Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Sword of Vermillion, Skies of Arcadia, Oasis games, etc.

Strategy/Puzzle - Puyo Puyo, Columns, Chu Chu Rocket, etc

Racing - Daytona, Sega Rally, Virtua Racing, Crazi Taxi, Hang-On, OutRun, Power Drift, Sonic & Sega All-Stars, RC Grand Prix, etc.

Sports - (not sure how licensing would work out, but they created some of the best sports games for many years)

Fighting - Virtua Fighter, Eternal Champions, Fighters Megamix, Fighting Vipers, Last Bronx, etc.

Action/Arcade/Etc. - Streets of Rage, Jet Set Radio, Panzer Dragoon, Sonic, Altered Beast, Alex Kidd, Zillion, Guardian Heroes, Burning Rangers, Crazy Taxi, Virtual On, Wonder Boy, NiGHTS, Dynamite Cop, Ecco the Dolphin, Space Harrier, Galaxy Force, Golden Axe, etc, etc, etc.

If they play their cards right and get native Sega Forever multi-player with lobbies in the vein of GGPO or FightCade, You could have a Sega console on your iPad, PC, or Android device... Even better with cloud saves.

I would pay a monthly subscription or per game fee for this type of service, no doubt about it.
This guy is smart, I agree with his opinion, and I want to subscribe to his online subscription model. Just as long as I have access to ALL of his previous posts, mind. Otherwise, meh.

😜

Kev Kev

An all Sega subscription service?

My dream scenario would be having unreleased games on console like Daytona USA 2 or Planet Harriers; or newly released English translations like Segagaga or Sakura Wars 1-4 or the complete release of Shining Force 3.

But in reality I bet it will just be access to the same old Genesis roms and some Sonic stickers.

Never let the dream die brother!

At least I'm pretty sure it'll have 1 and 2 on there.

Balb

Love this idea. It could potentially allow them to reach into largely untapped libraries like the Saturn, since releasing those games individually for sale likely wouldn't be worth it for them financially.

RedSwirl

I just started thinking: If Sega tried to do its own Origin or Battle.net-style PC distribution client, from a market standpoint Football Manager alone would probably hold it up.

JMTHEFOX

Looks like a spiritual successor to the Play SEGA service but with a Netflix-like subscription model. Would be interesting if they added arcade, Genesis, Master System/Game Gear, 32X, and Saturn games to the service. Hell, put some Dreamcast games in there too.

I also hope that this would expand to 8th gen consoles and PC.

IrishNinja

interested to hear about this, sega is the best

Wait, this isn't Sega Channel, SegaNet.

i had Sega Channel in the day...good lord did that shit take forever to connect, never got to play any of the exclusives back then either (Alien Solider, Wily Wars, Pulseman etc)

wish my SegaNet account was still about too - mad hours into PSO! Chu Chu as well, and i remember checking the Shenmue Passport stuff.

Nanashrew

Banned
uh oh

https://twitter.com/libretro/status/867282081533087744
This feels pretty crappy honestly. We made a demo using RetroArch for a subsidiary of theirs called GoGame for GDC.

https://twitter.com/libretro/status/867282177989509120
After that initial demo, we never heard from them again. Not a single word. Can't help but feel we got played for weeks of hard work.

https://twitter.com/libretro/status/867284064012816386
They asked several shady things as well during that demo, like 'remove your libretro/RetroArch branding, we don't want people to see that during this demo!' Yeah I bet you won't huh? In the end, we did snuck in a Libretro logo still for the iOS demo.

https://twitter.com/libretro/status/867285169396486145
No idea if it still uses RetroArch or not when it finally comes to market, honestly. All I know is that episodes like this really sour me on this 'games industry' and makes me believe there are no honest people left.

If there are plenty of games and I can play them on my consoles, I can definitely see myself subscribing for a couple of months.

If the selection of games and price is right and we there's the ability to continue playing your saved game in different platforms I might be interested.

Imports too, I just realized. Imports, baby. Dragon Force 2 and not giving a shit if I can read it, here I come.

Though, for the amount that I would play some of these and the infrequency especially for quick fix 8 and 16 bit titles... I'd probably only pay $5 a month.

Now, if they expanded it to platform catalogs and what people think of when they think Sega systems? Snatcher? Hyperstone Heist? A bunch of Treasure games? Rocket Knight? Castlevania Bloodlines? Ghouls N Ghosts?

Now that would be worthy of not caring that this gets withdrawn from my bank account every month status.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Considering the era the games this service is going to offer, maybe they should advertise this with a modified version of Viva Forever with Sega replacing Viva of course.

I'll get my coat.

liquidtmd

Banned
An all Sega subscription service?

My dream scenario would be having unreleased games on console like Daytona USA 2 or Planet Harriers; or newly released English translations like Segagaga or Sakura Wars 1-4 or the complete release of Shining Force 3.

But in reality I bet it will just be access to the same old Genesis roms and some Sonic stickers.

Lol, indeed

iswasdoes

saturn/arcade games and on switch - yes, as it will be mariginally better experience than playing roms on my shield

Otherwise, cannot justify

Tizoc

Sega would be using a rom emulation system without the devs permission, and even asking them to remove themselves from their work
That would be shit if so
Were they to go back to the original team or give them credit i may tethink about getting it

Radius4

What's shitty here is that after the initial contact they went completely silent. No feedback whatsoever.

Even if they decided against using the demo provided by libretro they should have been professional and polite enough to reply emails.

There are at least 3 people that put a lot of work into the demo. One of the focal points was netplay and it just so happened after kivutar, Robloach and me implemented the lobby system, but they wanted more of course.

IMHO going silent for weeks after libretro delivered is proof that they have no respect for the team.

Top Bottom