• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Forever subscription service coming soon?

Loona

I'll gladly throw money at Sega for something like a modern port of Fighters Megamix and/or translated Segagaga, but it looks like it's more mobile Megadrive ports... if only there was a way to know the money would go towards funding something more interesting...

Piccoro

What's shitty here is that after the initial contact they went completely silent. No feedback whatsoever.

Even if they decided against using the demo provided by libretro they should have been professional and polite enough to reply emails.

There are at least 3 people that put a lot of work into the demo. One of the focal points was netplay and it just so happened after kivutar, Robloach and me implemented the lobby system, but they wanted more of course.

IMHO going silent for weeks after libretro delivered is proof that they have no respect for the team.

So can you confirm that this is a Genesis emulator (with netplay) for mobile?

Pretty shity of Sega to not acknowledge libretro's work, IMO.

Deft Beck

So, SEGA is seeking another way to sell people Genesis ROMs with netplay, while trying to kick sand in the face of the emulator developers.

Sounds very arrogant to me. And if they bother trying to get any truly novel ports working, watch it be a timed exclusive offer or something.

M3d10n

Didn't Gametap had working version of PDS running on PC?

Edit: Looks like it.
That was actually emulated. I think Panzer Dgragoon Zwei was actually made available using the same emulator, which was an improved version of a Saturn emulator called GiriGiri which Sega had bought for a similar service in Japan.

AmyS

let us have these games...

MaLtWGE.jpg
2jHiDGf.jpg
y3cQVJA.jpg

Fmxlx3W.jpg
6KMzM7J.jpg
ClCRDlD.jpg

dtxFzMa.jpg
7mU5djy.jpg
HF0lAby.jpg

lyBcMS1.jpg
NFnEHyQ.jpg
toXeBO5.jpg

1mvKLka.jpg
BidRQs5.jpg
9N6Z9i2.jpg

...or go away forever.

AmyS

Sega has more than enough games, the question is, will Sega go deep into their vast library and make those games available.

Indelible

This could be incredible if they include Saturn and Dreamcast games, alot of gems that are stuck on those consoles. Hopefully it is on PC and not Mobile.

Aki-at

I don't know, evidence seems pretty flimsy about this being a subscription service.

But if it is I'll pony some cash down and be hyped with whatever SEGA has coming on the service. Plenty... Actually way too many great exclusives they don't have released legally right now.

EDIT: Ah never saw the previous page, very disappointing developments if true. Won't be supporting such efforts.

Rlan

You guys seem to be taking some large leaps with this. If anything it looks like they're releasing mobile emulations of classic games (which incidentily they did years ago, like Streets of Rage 2 and Sonic Spinball), but with a chance of it working freemium with ads instead. There's no mention of a subscription service?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
it's like 10hrs long

Unlike so many RPGs with level grinding which artificially augment playtime considerably. Even other Sega RPGs are guilty of this, I love PSIV to death, but there were several moments when I wanted to slam the controller down because it would be two steps and then a random battle, rinse and repeat.

IrishNinja

Unlike so many RPGs with level grinding which artificially augment playtime considerably. Even other Sega RPGs are guilty of this, I love PSIV to death, but there were several moments when I wanted to slam the controller down because it would be two steps and then a random battle, rinse and repeat.

you're not wrong & i don't at all mean to slag on PDS - it's still the most i ever paid for a video game, and i don't regret it cause my time with it was amazing - but yeah, it's on the short side. i do agree with you on the merits of doing that vs padding a game with shitty encounter rates though...while PS IV stays in my top 10 RPG list forever, i think i was way more open to it because 1 & 2 were just brutal at times in comparison

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
you're not wrong & i don't at all mean to slag on PDS - it's still the most i ever paid for a video game, and i don't regret it cause my time with it was amazing - but yeah, it's on the short side. i do agree with you on the merits of doing that vs padding a game with shitty encounter rates though...while PS IV stays in my top 10 RPG list forever, i think i was way more open to it because 1 & 2 were just brutal at times in comparison

Agreed on all accounts. I love the PS series, but good hell, those battles were just brutal slags a lot of the time.

It's scary. I was thinking about this the other day - considering how Jim Fucking Sterling, Son, is constantly trying to urge Ninty in this direction. While I would love to see this come to fruition, especially if we get forgotten Sega classics not found on the collections (e.g. Half the Master System, 32x, Saturn, or Sega CD libraries, or even Greendog from Genesis), the only problem that if it succeeds, what's to stop ALL other third parties from doing so?

I mean, I loved the original Wii Virtusl Console, cause you could get
-NES
-SNES
-Genesis
-Master System
-N64
-Arcade
-Neo Geo

And more on one service. If split up, it becomes a Netflix/Hulu/Amazon thing where you have to get a ton of different services to play your favorites.

I wish they'd just re-release that big collection from last gen. Think it has a few names.

To this day, I'm shocked it didn't get released on Wii U - considering how that VC service didn't have Sega stuff

Hilarion

I would love it if they talked Konami into putting Policenauts for the Sega CD on this. I'd pay good money (well, $10...) to play Policenauts.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
61V-lKw5MzL.jpg

blablabla input lag
most gamers won't even notice this

this service better come with something that tops this

RedSwirl

If SEGA just sold some DRM-free ROMs bundled with optional emulation wrappers I'd be cool with that. SNK basically did that when it launched the Humble NEOGEO Bundle.

bman94

It's written "ON MOBILE" right there in the picture.

For Fucks Sake SEGA! Dreamcast Era games and older would work perfectly on a subscription based platform for PC/Xbox One/PS4. You have a big enough catalog to sustain it and even your PS2/GameCube/Xbox era games should work perfectly fine for a service like this.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
If this is only for cell phones, and if it's only the same Genesis games they've been reselling for the last 20 years, then it's dead.

And if it's using stolen emulation tech, then it should be dead.

Top Bottom