• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Forever: The nostalgia trip that could change the company's future

Don't know if this has been posted, but if you bought the old delisted version of phantasy star II you can upgrade it to the ad-free version for free!!

AND it's 64 bit so it won't die later this year!! All that Sega needs now is chu chu rocket and shining force!

Piers

wooo weee 20fps Altered Beast
Wonder when the backfire begins as fans redirect people to the Sega Classics store on Steam.

Mikey Jr.

I don't understand.

When will Sega finally come to terms that altered beast is a bad game. A very bad game that is only popular because it was a pack in.

Who plays/enjoys that shit?

Comix zone runs fine on iPhone 6. The wrapper isn't very nice. Hope the Sonic 1 port on my iPad is ok, that is a great port. Will check it out later.

Seems cool if you're in to mobile games

RowdyReverb

I don't understand.

When will Sega finally come to terms that altered beast is a bad game. A very bad game that is only popular because it was a pack in.

Who plays/enjoys that shit?
They are counting on nostalgia goggles putting a rose tint on things. He basically says so in the interview

stilgar

nkKnPI8.jpg

Ouch.

oti

Banned
wooo weee 20fps Altered Beast
Wonder when the backfire begins as fans redirect people to the Sega Classics store on Steam.

Yes. Fans will redirect smartphone users to the Sega Classics store on Steam. That makes sense.

Shaneus

Comix zone runs fine on iPhone 6. The wrapper isn't very nice. Hope the Sonic 1 port on my iPad is ok, that is a great port. Will check it out later.

Seems cool if you're in to mobile games
Got news for you: Even if you restore purchases to get rid of the ads, if you don't have an internet connection it doesn't let you get past the Sega splash screen. Otherwise the port is identical.

But if I want to play it on my wifi-only iPad on the train, I'm fucked.

Good job, Sega.

Rolodzeo

Got news for you: Even if you restore purchases to get rid of the ads, if you don't have an internet connection it doesn't let you get past the Sega splash screen. Otherwise the port is identical.

Good job, Sega.

Yikes.

Jeez, so even if you pay to remove ads you still have to sit through them depending on your connection?

When free emulators are better than your hyped up paid service, you know you done fucked up.

Good job, Sega.

Sega does what Ninten...oh, nevermind.

Shaneus

WTF. I would ask for a refund, honestly.
I bought it aaages ago, when it was just the standalone game. It's not a big deal to me, thanks to being jailbroken I can easily downgrade to the last version with very little hassle.

Jeez, so even if you pay to remove ads you still have to sit through them depending on your connection?

When free emulators are better than your hyped up paid service, you know you done fucked up.
Not what I said. If you don't have a connection you can't get into the game *at all*. Or if you drop your connection mid-game, you can't resume it until your connection returns.

Kalor

I tried these out and they seemed to run okay. The audio sounded off in Comix Zone and Altered Beast but besides that they were survivable.

FinKL

I probably should read the press release before asking, but how are they making money on this?

Also Dreamcast games? Chu Chu Rocket + Phantasy Star Online HERE I COME

EDIT : In Game Ads, guess that's ok but you can also buy I got Comix Zone and it's $2

Saikyo

"But the future refused to change."

Thats really shitty that even if you prove you had sonic before this update you cannot play it offline, that will just teach me to never buy a sega game on mobile again.

FinKL

I tried these out and they seemed to run okay. The audio sounded off in Comix Zone and Altered Beast but besides that they were survivable.

Yeah, I was gonna say the audio or framerate of Comix Zone was not what I remembered as a kid. Should have sounded/felt smoother but wasn't?

Doesn't bode well for Dreamcast games if they are struggling with Genesis games.

Shaneus

Wait, do these replace the Taxman versions of Sonic 1? If so wouldn't that be a massive step backwards??
It's like a backend for them. So once you get past the new Sega splash screen that's in front of all these titles, it prompts you if you want to run ad-laden, remove ads for $2 (here in AU, anyway) or Restore Purchases. I tried restoring purchases and it didn't seem to go through the first time, but then I reopened the app and it didn't prompt me. But for some reason I was still getting an ad between the main menu and the start/save game screen.

But other than that ad/restore purchase option, it's identical to how it was prior to this update, Taxman goodness and all :)

Yeah, I was gonna say the audio or framerate of Comix Zone was not what I remembered as a kid. Should have sounded/felt smoother but wasn't?

Doesn't bode well for Dreamcast games if they are struggling with Genesis games.
Crazy Taxi, JSR and Chu Chu Rocket have already been ported to iOS (and possibly Android). Like with Sonic 1, they'll just use those same versions but with an ad-supported backend. I doubt we'll get any other DC games, though (except for maybe the ones that were ported to PC in that Dreamcast pack, like Space Channel 5 Part 2 and Sega Bass Fishing).

Clockwork

Played Comix Zone and Altered Beast. They ran fine but as is with any mobile game they controlled horribly via touch. The sounds also seemed off.

Shaneus

Wait, this has an always-online restriction even if you pay to remove ads? Nooooooope
Seems like it. I'd recommend people try it for themselves to be sure but that's my experience.

I had something similar with Crazy Taxi when they rolled out an update a week or two ago when it went "free". Ads I couldn't bypass despite having bought the game previously, and no option to "restore purchase" like they say there was.

Looks that way.

It was the same with Crazy Taxi. Which I found out the hard way. Fuck off Sega, I'll emulate all your shit myself.
Ah, so it had the same always-online thing with that too? Glad I downgraded then.

wrowa

I've only tested Phantasy Star 2 so far, but first impression isn't good. I'm experiencing slowdowns on my phone (iPhone 6), the virtual buttons look horrible and are intrusive (seriously, how come devs still haven't figured out how to design virtual buttons that don't look like ass) and while there aren't many ads it's kinda hilarious that I've got to watch a 30 second video each time I want to save my game (and knowing these kind of phone ads, it's only a matter of time until one of these will cause the app to crash).

Good job, Sega.
See, this is a perfect example of why I and many others say fuck mobile games. Buy a game that works fine, and then have the publisher "improve" it and make it free, only for this bullshit to happen.

Sophia

I re-tried Phantasy Star 2 a bit later (disabling all the extra permissions except storage) and uh... yeah. It's bad. There are slowdowns everywhere that shouldn't be there. The audio is significantly off, and has a nasty static in the background of almost every track. The virtual D-Pad is an unwieldy mess that has difficulty with left and right.

This is on top of the fact that it sends regular push notifications to you, and presumably uses your location for advertising purposes any time you pause or save the game. Not good, not good at all. :S

In contrast, my Moto G4 can handle the Phantasy Star IV rom (from Steam) in Retroarch just fine. :S

StereoVsn

Ahh, so always online too. I guess my copies of sonic 1, 2, and CD are going to get messed up. Thank you for improving experience for your actually paying customers, Sega (bought most old Sega games long ago).

Opa-Pa

When I think of good 'ol Sega nostalgia for long-time fans, the first thing to come to mind is mediocre emulation on phones + ads. This is the perfect package, god bless you Sega.

I bought it aaages ago, when it was just the standalone game. It's not a big deal to me, thanks to being jailbroken I can easily downgrade to the last version with very little hassle.

Not what I said. If you don't have a connection you can't get into the game *at all*. Or if you drop your connection mid-game, you can't resume it until your connection returns.

Oops, misread that. Holy shit that's unacceptable and even worse than I thought.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I needed some games for my phone on breaks...and you can't beat free.

Obviously I'd prefer console or even PC, but... I am pleased overall even if the emulation isn't great. It's better than nothing.

Sophia

I needed some games for my phone on breaks...and you can't beat free.

Obviously I'd prefer console or even PC, but... I am pleased overall even if the emulation isn't great. It's better than nothing.

I mean, you can't beat free, that's true. But all of the Genesis emulated games in question are available on Steam for a couple of dollars. At which point you can take the ROMS from that (SEGA even has them uncompressed) and play them in RetroArch or MD.emu for a much superior and more accurate experience.

The only game of the Genesis games that'd be worthwhile here is Sonic 1, and only because that's the Taxman port with spiffy new features. Even then, I'd disable all permissions except storage for that, just to be safe. >.<;

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
What's wrong with that? Everyone has got a smart devices.
I don't have one ;_;

Which I guess is just as well since it seems ta be off to a rocky start. Seriously. Altered Beast? C'mon! Don't be a Nintendo. Put your Urban Champion to sleep.

Top Bottom