• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis / Mega Drive Collection Announced for PS4 & Xbox One

Klart

Official list is out. Strangely enough no Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles.

More info:

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...ng-over-50-iconic-games-hits-ps4-on-29th-may/

• Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
  • Alien Soldier
  • Alien Storm
  • Altered Beast
  • Beyond Oasis
  • Bio-Hazard Battle
  • Bonanza Bros.
  • Columns
  • Columns III: Revenge of Columns
  • Comix Zone
  • Crack Down
  • Decap Attack
  • Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
  • Dynamite Headdy
  • ESWAT: City Under Siege
  • Fatal Labyrinth
  • Flicky
  • Gain Ground
  • Galaxy Force II
  • Golden Axe
  • Golden Axe II
  • Golden Axe III
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Landstalker
  • Light Crusader
  • Phantasy Star II
  • Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
  • Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium
  • Ristar
  • Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
  • Shining Force
  • Shining Force II
  • Shining in the Darkness
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
  • Sonic 3D Blast
  • Sonic Spinball
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Space Harrier II
  • Streets of Rage
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Streets of Rage 3
  • Super Thunder Blade
  • Sword of Vermilion
  • The Revenge of Shinobi
  • ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
  • ToeJam& Earl
  • Vectorman
  • VectorMan 2
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Hope it hasn't got that achievement for Dr Robotniks MBM again...

That one drove me crackers.

RAIDEN1

What is the point of putting Virtua Fighter 2 on there? Not as if the Megadrive Genesis version was "cutting edge"...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
No Sonic 3 and Knuckles is a no buy from me

cireza

What is the point of putting Virtua Fighter 2 on there? Not as if the Megadrive Genesis version was "cutting edge"...
Virtua Fighter 2 is fine considering the hardware it runs on and how they managed to emulate pretty well the 3D mechanics of the game. Not bad at all.

Still not a good enough effort in my opinion. They should have looked for more third party games.

Last edited:

royox

• Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Sonic 3D Blast
  • Sonic Spinball
Something feels wrong here...let's read again

• Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Sonic 3D Blast
  • Sonic Spinball
WHERE IS SONIC 3 & KNUKLES GOD DAMMIT

RAIDEN1

VF2 isn't the first name you'd think of for the Megadrive/Genesis collection, and with that inclusion in there it makes me think of the Saturn version, hell they could have been more comprehensive, and called it Sega Generations...spanning the Sega CD to the Saturn...I don't understand why Sega seem to ignore those platforms full stop....depending on your viewpoint they were fairly successful, the Sega CD sold respectively well considering it was an add-on, and the Saturn was Sega's only successful console in the heart-land which was Japan...

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
The boxart has Toejam, so Toejam and Early will be in.
toejam-toejam-earl-back-in-the-groove-2.49.jpg
v1.bjsyMTg4MDM7ajsxNzY0MjsxMjAwOzMwMDA7MjI1MA

Now I want this game.

toejam-toejam-earl-back-in-the-groove-2.49.jpg
v1.bjsyMTg4MDM7ajsxNzY0MjsxMjAwOzMwMDA7MjI1MA

Now I want this game.
*smacks you*
Now you make me wish my typo wasn't a typo you bastardo!

Now that the official list is out, I'm hoping like the 360/PS3 collection they have surprise non Genesis unlockables like Phantasy Star 1 and Shinobi, although if they don't then it will make me feel less regret for getting that collection on PS3 just 2 months ago.

Last edited:

SScorpio

Tx!

Looks like this is the most up to date list:

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Soldier
Altered Beast
Beyond Oasis
Vectorman 2
Virtua Fighter 2
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
Wonder Boy in Monster World

So exactly what's been available on Steam forever? Hopefully, it's just an update to support online multiplayer and achievements on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/102625/

Edit: The current Steam version also supports Steam workshop which other people have used to include other games into the interface.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

If they add the feature like online ranking / scoreboard, and other nifty ones like graphic options (polarize, scanlines, etc), game artworks, the collection would be worth the money.

RAIDEN1

So unless not mentioned here already some of the features to be included in this release are: Online Multiplayer, (anyone up for Streets of Rage online?) A "rewind" feature like the SNES mini..a "horizontal flip" mode so you can play the games horizontally for an additional challenge..achievements/trophies...and a retro-esque navigation menu, save states included etc.. Enhancement filters so that the "CRT" look isn't killed by playing it on HD-TV sets...

Last edited:

JP

I really hope that this has some really good quality scaling options, it would be good to have integer stalling options rather than just using a slider which doesn't actually give you any useful information. It's good to see that it is branded as "Sega Mega Drive Classics" in the UK.

Unfortunately its likely the same as before . Just too many ganes missing. Genesis has hundreds of good and interesting games to check out.

bronk

Banned
I am still baffled they have not thought about selling columns or a Columns HD games on Play Store and App Store... people love puzzle games on mobile.
I played a Columns game for about 6 hours straight on Dreamcast. It was so fun. I thought I set a world record or something, ofcourse I was no where close haha. Long story short I'm ready for some beers and Columns.

JP

Is Sega Genesis the American version?
Europe has it titled as the Sega Mega Drive version.
If I remember correctly, Mega Drive was the intended name for all three regions after they initially announced it as the Sega Mark V but I seem to remember reading that name was trademarked by another company in America so they weren't able to use it there.

I'm not sure if that's ever been confirmed either way by Sega though and I've not really been a massive Sega home console fan, unlike their arcade games, so that may well be corrected by somebody who does know their home console history better than me.

GenericUser

This is a bad collection imo. Similar collections released on the PS2 and PS3/360 and iirc they had S3&K in it.

The games are still just emulated Genesis roms with little to no effort put in. Cool for people who started with PS4 or are not into emulation at all, but I think this is a very low effort try to grab some cash.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
That's a pretty impressive list for a Genesis collection. Still, we're mostly getting the same titles that Sega reissues over and over and over on every platform known to man. Licensed titles continue to be left behind, including sports games, which was the Genesis' bread and butter. Capcom's games are conspicuously absent (Ghouls N' Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Strider, The Punisher, Street Fighter 2, Mega Man.

In the end, it's only a question of money. Sega has to crack open the wallet and sign a lot of checks. Give Disney a check, give EA a check, give Technosoft a check (they already have Thunder Force 3 on 3DS), give Sunsoft a check (assuming they still hold the Telenet library).

All that said, this is a very fine collection and Genesis fans will be busy playing for a very long time.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Sega acquired Technosoft's IP's. I don't know why they wouldn't include the Thunder Force games.

If that's the case, then there's no excuse why Sega can't bring back Herzog Zwei and the Thunder Force series. This is also a good reason to reissue Saturn games. We want a reissue of Hyperduel that doesn't cost $300!

Crew 511A

If that's the case, then there's no excuse why Sega can't bring back Herzog Zwei and the Thunder Force series. This is also a good reason to reissue Saturn games. We want a reissue of Hyperduel that doesn't cost $300!

Sega doesn't need an excuse for bad decision making. The only reason I'm buying this is because now it's apparent Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection will never be backwards compatible. Neither of my 360's are long for this world, so I guess it's cheaper to spend 30 bucks on this than to buy another 360 that will die in a year.

I loved Sega in the 90's, but it's disgusting what they've become.

RAIDEN1

Exactly, why Virtua Fighter 2, might be a "solid" game in it's own right but it just reminds you of the better versions out there rather than this diluted port, pointless inclusion...doubt we'll ever see a Saturn collection..

Crew 511A

Exactly, why Virtua Fighter 2, might be a "solid" game in it's own right but it just reminds you of the better versions out there rather than this diluted port, pointless inclusion...doubt we'll ever see a Saturn collection..

I wouldn't even say the Genesis version is solid. Pictures of the game look ok, but when you see it in motion, it looks like some kind of hack job pirates in Hong Kong put together. Throw the 32X version of VF 1 on there and it would be a much better deal.

theclaw135

Banned
This is a bad collection imo. Similar collections released on the PS2 and PS3/360 and iirc they had S3&K in it.

The games are still just emulated Genesis roms with little to no effort put in. Cool for people who started with PS4 or are not into emulation at all, but I think this is a very low effort try to grab some cash.

2011 (or prior) versions of Sonic 3 continue to be sold. But circumstantial evidence suggests that Sega has barred new releases of the game.
In any event, the Atgames Genesis Flashback is weird in its own way. It includes Sonic & Knuckles only.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
That was a tight deadline. There's bigger forces at work now.
Doesn't anybody find the lack of a mobile port, or 3DS 3D classics, the least bit suspicious? Even though Sega could outsource it and rake in the profit without lifting a finger.

Crew 511A

That was a tight deadline. There's bigger forces at work now.
Doesn't anybody find the lack of a mobile port, or 3DS 3D classics, the least bit suspicious? Even though Sega could outsource it and rake in the profit without lifting a finger.

I don't think there's anything at play here other than laziness.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Crazy speculation: maybe the Michael Jackson estate is demanding royalties for Sonic 3. I can't think of any other reason why the game would be omitted from this Genesis release. That said, weren't we showed a revised list that did include S3K? If not, something is wildly off the mark.

It's important to remember that the people who currently run Sega/Sammy have almost no connection to the Sega of the 1980s and 1990s. It's a completely different set of clueless corporate blowhards. Mind you, Sega in the '90s was also run by clueless blowhards, but they also loved what they did and were spectacular risk-takers. The Saturn and Dreamcast eras often felt like being stuck on tour with a wildly out-of-control rock band that was always 12 hours away from fatal overdose. But that was what made them so much fun. This "modern," sober Sega? Pfft. Useless.

xviper

i'll buy it just for Golden axe and Streets of rage trilogy, i really REALLY hope they include online co-op even though i'm positive that they won't

Top Bottom