• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis / Mega Drive Collection Announced for PS4 & Xbox One

RAIDEN1

Virtua Fighter for the Genesis, probably the most pointless game to bring on the then ageing system from 1988 ....they should have dropped Thunderforce in there instead....

Crew 511A

Well, it's here. I played a little bit of Columns and Space Harrier 2 before bedtime. If there are any hidden unlockables, I don't know where they'd be.

Rayderism

Messed with Sonic 2 briefly.....occasional sound hesitation at the beginning of levels. Otherwise though, it sounded OK.

If I turn off sprite limits, will that make games more difficult by adding more onscreen enemies or whatever, or will it just have less flickering and sprite breakup? Never really did understand how this setting will affect gameplay.

BANGS

Banned
Messed with Sonic 2 briefly.....occasional sound hesitation at the beginning of levels. Otherwise though, it sounded OK.

If I turn off sprite limits, will that make games more difficult by adding more onscreen enemies or whatever, or will it just have less flickering and sprite breakup? Never really did understand how this setting will affect gameplay.
I'd assume it would be the latter... but I can't confirm...

As much as i want this, i think i’m going to hold off. Having the games a la carte on switch would be way more convenient.

Problem is atm it’s a drip release and prices will prob be crazy.

FranXico

Played it a bit already (Sonic, Golden Axe), and what it has is good fun. Nostalgia can be a powerful thing. Love that rewind feature, by the way.

Last edited:

Crew 511A

As much as i want this, i think i’m going to hold off. Having the games a la carte on switch would be way more convenient.

Problem is atm it’s a drip release and prices will prob be crazy.

Well, it looks like the Switch is getting different games, and games we haven't seen on every other port Sega has done. If they decide to dabble in their Saturn library, that could be a system seller for me.

B_Signal

The PC version of this has just been updated with online co-op and a few other features

edit: by version I mean the collection that's been on Steam for years

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The PC version of this has just been updated with online co-op and a few other features

edit: by version I mean the collection that's been on Steam for years
wow classy i got all the games and more
thanks sega .. now i can return my console version.

fuck

anyone knows if the pc version got all the same achievements?

Last edited:

B_Signal

I don't know what games have online multi, presumably anything that's 2 player, but I've put the patch notes below

SEGA is thrilled to announce that we’ve updated the SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics on Steam. This update brings a raft of new features, including online multiplayer, so you can slug your way through Streets of Rage with a friend online.

We’ve also added VR support. You can now immerse yourself in your early 90’s retro-themed bedroom and play on a virtual CRTV or go big with full screen.

The full list of upgrades includes the following:

• Two-player online multiplayer
• Leaderboards
• Challenge Modes – short challenges give old favourites a new twist
• Additional graphics filters & border options
• ROMs from other regions for games with significant differences
• Fast-forward and rewind
• Sprite limit disable
• Mirror mode – reverse the screen for a fresh challenge
• VR support
• Mac and Linux support

This update comes free to current owners of any SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classic title on Steam.

We’ve also given the complete collection a new low price of $29.99 / €29.99 / £24.99. There’s never been a better time to jump in! If you’ve already purchased some but not all of the titles on Steam, we’ve dropped the price of the individual games, too, so snap up the rest and complete your collection.

Currently mods are broken but they've said in the forums they'll be fixed soon. I noticed a few people have been putting other roms up as mods. No idea if you'll still have access to any you subscribe to if they're pulled

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
Intro video is lovely and the games are real responsive so far. I had input lag issues with the Mega Man Legacy collection, so that's refreshing. Just glad to have these gems on the latest consoles and the favorites feature to put my top games at the top of the shelf is cool, too. Loooking forward to diving into Sword of Vermillion on a rainy day.

Naked Lunch

For me, having a collection like this on modern consoles is all about capturing clips and screens. I played through Alien Soldier all the way on day one. Ive been waiting to play that game for 20+ years. I didnt run an emulator in that time for whatever reason. Really cool, and difficult, game.

I love the collection of games but its not without its problems.
-The audio has popping and clicking in almost every game. Sound issues just shouldnt be a thing with a release like this. I hope they attempt to fix it.
-The button layout options are terrible. On xbox, jump is on B or RB only. Fire is on A. Jump needs to be on A and shoot on X. Period. I have to use the button mapping feature on my elite controller to fix it.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Irony of ironies that even Sega can't perfectly emulate their OWN games.....question should be posed to them, will we EVER get a Saturn/Dreamcast Collection? Also how is this collection any better than the 2009 release?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Have Sega ever gave a reason why Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles is missing and hadn't had a release since the PS3 Sonic Collection

Bolivar687

Banned
Have Sega ever gave a reason why Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles is missing and hadn't had a release since the PS3 Sonic Collection

They don't own the music and weren't able to secure the rights this time. I won't hold it against them because it's out of their hands and there's so much good stuff here but they really should take care of it going forward.

It's on the Steam release, though.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They don't own the music and weren't able to secure the rights this time. I won't hold it against them because it's out of their hands and there's so much good stuff here but they really should take care of it going forward.

It's on the Steam release, though.
Well wouldn't they have to remove it if it was a licencing issue like every other game ie. GTA
don't make sense that it's still available to buy and digitally distribute but not re-released in a collection if its just a licensing issue

hiphopcr

All I care is if they fixed the Xbox 360 Gunstar Heroes glitch where the second player couldn't come back after dying.

Bolivar687

Banned
Well wouldn't they have to remove it if it was a licencing issue like every other game ie. GTA
don't make sense that it's still available to buy and digitally distribute but not re-released in a collection if its just a licensing issue

I don't know the details but the GTA situation sounds like an outlier, because they're dealing with commercial music instead of just having the rights to a game's score in the hands of someone else. I assume in Rockstar's case, they only had the rights for a limited time whereas Sega secures the rights on a per release basis. They were able to get the rights on previous releases but from what I've heard, they owe the rights holders a lot of money and they won't license it to Sega until they're caught up.

NewtypeDelta

Neo Member
It’s always the same games all the time no Maximum Carnage, Separation Anxiety, X-men, or Clone Wars, best version of Super Street Fighter 2>Snes.

Top Bottom