• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

gelf

I always preferred Golden Axe 2 over the first one. Feels better to play for me. I replay that one far more then the original. GA3 on the other hand is the worst of all of them.

I think the winner here is clear

zgekouwg01mz.png

BTails

"Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread OT2 | I don't understand how you're supposed to play Sonic games"

EDIT: Or, to be more positive: "OT2 | We understand how you're supposed to play Sonic games"

"Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread OT2 | I don't understand how you're supposed to play Sonic games"

EDIT: Or, to be more positive: "OT2 | We understand how you're supposed to play Sonic games"
Liking these!

Some from me:
OT2 | Hardware add-ons are for winners
OT2 | Processing blasts since 1988
OT2 | Games sound better on a Yamaha
OT2 | They don't run on Motorola's like they used to

IrishNinja

oh my god i can't believe we're almost done with thins one! is anyone else chomping at the bit for OT2, or can i have that one as well?

I think the winner here is clear

zgekouwg01mz.png

this x 1000

WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TTOPIC

this is brillaint btw

whoever's making the OT2 please don't get banned.

oh man, this is true of all the retro threads
seik is such a VIP!

"Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Appreciation Thread OT2 | Yes Sonic was always good:

fuck me, this one's good

Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Appreciation Thread | Are You Up OT2 It

okay shit now i can't decide

I only just noticed I said "WELCO METOT HENEX TTOPIC" earlier and then made the image saying "WELCO METOT HENEX TTHREAD" - no wonder the kerning was so goddamn uneven. Guess I should try to remake that...

alf717

What is the rule when it comes to a having to create new thread?

So today I took a model 1 Genesis I've been using for mods and decided to make it a dedicated import machine. Didn't have any switches lying around for a region mod so I just set it to Japan mode and left it at that. Only have one import game, which is Rockman, but was pretty surprised to see a lot of US games that will still boot up with the jumper settings changed.

So today I took a model 1 Genesis I've been using for mods and decided to make it a dedicated import machine. Didn't have any switches lying around for a region mod so I just set it to Japan mode and left it at that. Only have one import game, which is Rockman, but was pretty surprised to see a lot of US games that will still boot up with the jumper settings changed.

After 20K posts, a topic is locked and u gotta make a new cone to continue the conversation

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So guess this make the Mega Drive the most appreciated retro system on gaf, since its the first to go to ot2?

Have you overclocked yours? I have a modded one but the switches take up so much space. I can't put anything large on top of it.

Also, you can't use an everdrive, sega cd, or (i think) a 32x with it when it's overclocked. I like it as a novelty more than anything.

I just use a stock Genesis anymore although I might do a region switch in this one too. What are you doing for the slight size difference between carts?

you can overclock?

is that Blast Processing Extreme

It definitely is. I have mine switchable between stock and 10 MHz. It's actually pretty simple to do. The only thing it does is eliminate slowdown in all games. Rockman Wily Wars is a good example because one of the special stages designed for it has a lot. The easiest example to encounter is in Sonic 2's two player mode which becomes a lot more playable. I think one of the Thunderforce games also has a lot of slowdown that 10 MHz helps with.

Take up so much space? Vertically?? What switches are you using?

This is the first Genesis I bought as an adult.

hjUx8gSl.jpg

I got an Electrical Engineering degree but never really did anything with the iron until I decided to crack this baby open. I love it to death but I really want to redo everything now that I know a lot better.

That switch behind the cartridge slot is my nemesis. I just used switches that I found at the local hardware store. Next time I am definitely going to be a lot smarter in placement and component choice.

Khaz

That switch behind the cartridge slot is my nemesis. I just used switches that I found at the local hardware store. Next time I am definitely going to be a lot smarter in placement and component choice.

That is indeed an unfortunate switch placement. If I may suggest, this is how I did it a few years back:

j1Ct7RZl.jpg

A word of caution though, drilling square holes is a pain without the proper tools. I carved my way in with an Stanley knife but that took forever.

Yeah, I have a pause switch on the back too that I used a dremel to carve. It kept bouncing and it was extremely difficult to get the size right. I think I'd be better off with a knife.

alf717

Thanks for the info sixteen-bit

I used this model since it was a non hi-def model that is said to have good audio. It was my first s-video mod Genesis and it turned out well but the inside would probably make mod pros here on the boards vomit. =P The jail bars stick out though and that is a huge bummer. The s-video jack isn't a standard store bought jack but one I pulled from a busted TV and yes it is hot glued in place but not crazy amounts of it. I might have to give that 10MHz mod a shot. Played through Rockman 1 and boy was that slow down city Yellow Devil in slow mo was super easy. Once I get my hands on proper parts I will be cleaning up my mod work as well as using some square boat rocker switches as my toggle buttons.

IrishNinja

Top Bottom