• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

It's a fruitful month for uncovering archived dev material it seems.

https://gamehistory.org/aladdin-source-code/

cesrun-1.gif

haters gonna hate

Jon Burton shows how he exploited a bug in the Genesis/ Mega Drive hardware to increase the colour pallete to 256...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8qgArSqMsc

He even claims that this trick can be used to get the system to display 512 colours onscreen. It's very hack-y, but cool. No wonder why he didn't use it in a retail game. Also he can simulate up to 4096 colours by using his scanline displacement trick seen in his Sonic 3D Blast video.

This is interesting... I wonder if it is still in the retail ROM, or if it is a special developer build ROM?

It's a fruitful month for uncovering archived dev material it seems.

https://gamehistory.org/aladdin-source-code/

This is definitely interesting too.

Sorry about the double posts... but Jon Burton announced that he is making a directors cut version of Sonic 3D Blast for the Genesis/ Mega Drive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_aal1U7bGQ

Basically it is going to be a patch that he is doing in his own time. He's going to update the controls, fixing some of the fidgety collision, Super Sonic inclusion, the level editor he showed in a previous video will be added back, as well as a save option and a few additional enemies that were in the prototype game.

Jon will be releasing this as a separate patch. Pretty awesome!

Cody_D165

Banned
So recently I made the decision to downsize my game collection. I have been selling off common titles for the other platforms as well as duplicates and unwanted stuff, Wii U games I never got around to or have already been ported and other random items all to fund my Genesis collection and a few other oddball items I've been eyeing. I put together a pretty decent chunk of change over the last few weeks and went on a shopping spree. And oh god was it worth it.

3fE6aAW_d.jpg

nxGriOJ_d.jpg

Several of my personal grails in here, I should have done this ages ago. All I lost was stuff I didn't ever play anyway. (Sorry for the quick and dirty photos, on mobile.)

So recently I made the decision to downsize my game collection. I have been selling off common titles for the other platforms as well as duplicates and unwanted stuff, Wii U games I never got around to or have already been ported and other random items all to fund my Genesis collection and a few other oddball items I've been eyeing. I put together a pretty decent chunk of change over the last few weeks and went on a shopping spree. And oh god was it worth it.

3fE6aAW_d.jpg

nxGriOJ_d.jpg

Several of my personal grails in here, I should have done this ages ago. All I lost was stuff I didn't ever play anyway. (Sorry for the quick and dirty photos, on mobile.)

MUSHA, Trouble Shooter, Grindstormer???

tenor.gif

<snip>

Hell of a shopping spree! How's Raiden Project?

Cody_D165

Banned
And to top it all off I just finished an S Video mod From Retrofixes.com on my model 1 Genesis, resulting in excellent picture quality on my CRT.

It's gonna be a great shmup weekend here. :')

Purchased a flash cart, Thinking do I sell some of my games to reduce my collection or keep on hold of them just so they look fancy on display in my man cave... Hard choices.

Purchased a flash cart, Thinking do I sell some of my games to reduce my collection or keep on hold of them just so they look fancy on display in my man cave... Hard choices.

Well, if you do decide to sell, there's plenty of people here who would be interested in a first shot at whatever gems you have. Although, none of us would play a ROM of a game we weren't legally entitled to...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I literally had a dream the other night where they announced Shining Force IV, and it was done in 2D like the classics, but with more advanced and detailed pixel art (kinda like the faux-retro style of Project Octopath but without the weird DoF effects) and it looked so beautiful and amazing, and
then I woke up :(

Now I'm curious. What was the turning point for the Shining games? I'm only asking because I don't know enough about the series.

Shining was a Sonic Software Planning (now Camelot) series. The series died after the release of the Shining Force 3 Premium disc because, as socksfelloff said, Sega fucked them over with how the transition between the Saturn and Dreamcast was handled. Camelot broke up with Sega, made Mario sports titles and Golden Sun instead. Golden Sun was amazing but the third title under performed and now who knows what is going on with them.

Camelot no longer making RPGs is one of the biggest losses we've had in the transition to modern gaming.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Cuphead got me to finally play through Gunstar Heroes

am I crazy or is that game a little on the easy side

It is easy with the right weapon combo yeah.

Edit: And i dont know, I thought Golden Sun was pretty mediocre myself, despite the awesome graphics it admittedly had.

It is easy with the right weapon combo yeah.

Edit: And i dont know, I thought Golden Sun was pretty mediocre myself, despite the awesome graphics it admittedly had.

It's not quite Shining level but the Golden Sun titles are all great. The sprite work and puzzle mechanics were especially good.

While I most want to see an ending to the Julian/Galm storyline, I'd welcome any RPG from them especially if it had beautiful 2D artwork.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
It's not quite Shining level but the Golden Sun titles are all great. The sprite work and puzzle mechanics were especially good.

While I most want to see an ending to the Julian/Galm storyline, I'd welcome any RPG from them especially if it had beautiful 2D artwork.

I agree with the sprite work - that is phenomenal without question. I also liked the puzzle mechanics, but i found the games to be 1) waay to slow with just tons of useless text, 2) too easy. I dont think i dies once during my playthrough of either of the first two games, and 3) the djinn-system was cool but flawed considering it essentially was best to just stack the same colored ones.

Shining is one a whole other level imo.

Saoshyant

Sega fucked them over with how the transition between the Saturn and Dreamcast was handled.

Is this actually documented anywhere or is one of those "facts" that get repeated so often they become true by social osmosis? I say this because I've heard this story before but never seen any source for it to the point I'm starting to think it may have been made up?

Don't anyone here take this wrong, but this sort of thing is usually reported somewhere. Like, someone put this sentence on Wikipedia's page for Camelot:

By Shining Force III, the studio had begun operating under its current name, Camelot Software Planning. In late 1998, Sega began focusing their resources on the Dreamcast, leaving Camelot with their final Shining Force III scenario, for the Sega Saturn, in jeopardy. Though the scenario was released, Camelot decided to move away from Sega completely and to establish a partnership with Nintendo.[3]

Which seems pretty damning at first, but then you click on that reference link (points to Giant Bomb) and there's nothing of the sort on that page. Nor has there ever been as I just checked with the Way Back Machine for older versions.

Camelot was an internal Sega studio that was allowed to break up from the parent company in 1995 to go independent, way before the Dreamcast was even a thing, and they did it so they could get a project with Sony (Beyond the Beyond), which I imagine was lucrative enough to justify this course of action.

I assume the fact they didn't do anything for the Dreamcast in the short span that the system existed made people theorize things but, from my point of view, it just appears Camelot saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship earlier on for someone who welcomed them (Nintendo) instead of staying around and dealing with the sinking ship that was Sega of Japan in the late 90's, no specific "fuckery" needed.

Khaz

I don't know, people said they got fucked over, that it was a turning point in the series

Or I am reading it wrong.

Shining Force 2 drags on a bit when you get to North Parmecia and has too many battles and characters. Otherwise it's an improvement over the first game. SF3 is perfect though.

Top Bottom