• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Slermy

Nah, I ran s-video on a stock US Model 2 system before I converted to the True Path of RGB.

I believe you are mistaken.

Really? I'm with Tain on this one as there's no support for S-video on the pinout, are you guys sure?

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm

(S-video requires seperate luma "Y" and chroma "C" output, which is missing even on the Genesis 2 pinout.)

Speaking of which - composite video is complete dogshit on this console. I recently moved and had to ditch most of my CRTs ( :( ) but hey, it is what it is. I'd like to hook it up to a modern PC monitor/HDTV, so what's my best option?

I bought a cheap ass Lenkeng S-video/composite to HDMI box from Monoprice, but yeah, it's still pretty crappy. Can't afford an X-RGB Framemeister yet, but that's always an option in the future. I also bought a component to HDMI box (no upscale, just digitizes the signal and outputs it on HDMI, I think it is also a Lenkeng product), what are the odds of this working on a typical modern monitor or TV?

Genesis (or any other retro console, really)->RGB SCART cable->RGB SCART/YUV Component transcoder->Component to HDMI->monitor

I've heard a lot of displays have problems with 240p, so I'm wondering what my likelihood of success is here, as there are no upscaling components in the chain...

I would imagine that if I wanted to upgrade to X-RGB Framemeister then I would drop the component transcoder and the component to HDMI parts and replace with the Framemeister, right?

This is correct. The only other way to get S-video out of a Genesis is if it were a JVC Wondermega RG M1 (Japan only) or if someone converted the RGB signal to S-video (there were accessories in Japan by Micomsoft that did this).

BosSin

I believe you are mistaken.

This is correct. The only other way to get S-video out of a Genesis is if it were a JVC Wondermega RG M1 (Japan only) or if someone converted the RGB signal to S-video (there were accessories in Japan by Micomsoft that did this).

I've seen mods of model 1 MD/genesis that allow for s-video out. There are YouTube videos around that show the quality provided by this (really nice)

Genny kid, reporting in.

Altered Beast pack-in
Super Thunderblade
John Madden Football
Pat Riley Basketball (a dud, sold it to some kid at school)
John Madden Football 92
John Madden Football 94
Mutant League FUCKING Football
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Streets of Rage 2
Wiz & Liz (I see someone else got hold of this enchanting game too)
Xmen (Nightcrawler: easy mode)
Road Rash (top 5 title screen music of all time)
Road Rash 3
Marble Madness
Street Fighter 2:CE (YOGA YOGA YOGA YOGA DHALSEEEM WEEEEN)
Quackshot
Mortal Kombat 2
Ranger-X

My gaming purchases on the rig dwindled as I got later in high school and Sega began it's well-publicized civil war. More social interaction outside gaming, studying, arcades mostly. Was also saving up for a Saturn (ah, a former Sega fanboy, huh?).

Looking back, the Genny/MD had an insanely strong non-Japanese prescense; not just in my list but overall. The reasons are apparent but it's interesting to take a step back and look at what transpired on this machine less than a decade after The Crash.

Teknoman

I went down a wierd rabbit hole a few years ago researching the various Sega Genesii and their differing sound qualities.

If you're really into getting the good sound, you want the one actually labelled "HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS" (it wasn't on all the Genesis 1s), and lacking copyright protection screen at the beginning. The Walkman-style headphone jack gives it great bass. Pop in SoR2.

The next model after that (no HD graphics, but still has the space in the back where the EXT port was) is equal in sound quality, so theres that as well.

jb1EPgKa1AW7JL.jpg

I lost some cables a long time ago so my megadrive and mega cd sit unused in a box in the garage, it's a shame as I love the console.

IrishNinja

already tracked down about 20 games on craigslist for as many dollars, so my efforts to rebuild my collection are slowly underway! hoping to not have to hit ebay for the rarer ones, but we'll see. most don't have shells sadly, but ive got a bunch of universal game cases about, now just to make them black...

Mr IrishNinja you need to really play Landstalker, Warsong, and Crusader of Centy.

well, i just checked and i think my steam sega collection has the first two, so there's that, i'll get on it soon & post back! the last one though, i don't think i've actually heard that title before, gonna have to look that one up now

Wasn't a bad console, I was disappointed by the lack of straight arcade ports but some of the original games like stuff by Technosoft were great. I thought the console went to shit around the time Sonic came out.

it's been said already, but yeah, '91 is a very early time to discount the system, the lion's share of its offerings were after that point

Speaking of "HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS", many people don't know (and I've seen it disputed) that Sega produced an S-video cable for the Genesis in the US. An official, 1st-party, Sega branded cable. I've seen it, brand new in a store, back in the early 2000's, and I've spoken with a few others who actually have one. I don't - I didn't buy it at the time, not knowing it was so rare.

i see there's a dispute here...i literally just got my VGA > HDMI converter in the mail today from monoprice for my dreamcast. ive got the SNES on s-vid, and was trying to sort out how to hook up a genny, but at this point, rather than pick up SCART adapters and converters for both, i'm really debating tracking down a big screen, quality CRT - might have to do some homework (i'm sure there's a thread about here somewhere) as the best i've seen personally was a trinotron

Sorry but that MK1 port was a steaming pile of rubbish. I had the SNES version because it looked better and my friend got the Genesis version because of the blood. I didn't care all that much for the Genesis fatalities because they looked kinda butchered and crappy, most notable is Sub Zeroes spine rip where the victims severed head didn't even face the screen. Sub Zeroes SNES fatality and Raidens fatality were a total upgrade in my book.

The worse offense in the Genesis version was not only the awful filter but the lack of sounds. Where was the announcer? and that music.....

yeah, it was even weirder on Sega CD when the sound was perfect but didn't always match the levels, and they still left the subpar graphics where it looked like kano was ripping a fish out of your chest, haha
it did, however, control a lot better for me then the stiff SNES one though. and by MK2 they got way better.

Super Mario All-Stars was one thing, but this was the real 16-bit cartridge compilation king as far as I'm concerned.

oObX3mR.png

never even saw this, it must've been kinda late in the cycle huh? looks a lot like the 4 pack i played the crap out of that came with my Sega-CD, nice

The megadrive 1 earphone port was so great when I was a kid, sometimes I had to play quietly at night or in the same room as my parents watching the tv, earphones <3 to the rescue!

Now days I have my consoles run through a hdmi splitter and listen to the feed on my pc via wireless headset while I play, same sort of thing but more modern.

Really? I'm with Tain on this one as there's no support for S-video on the pinout, are you guys sure?

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm

(S-video requires seperate luma "Y" and chroma "C" output, which is missing even on the Genesis 2 pinout.)

I can't speak to the tech, but yes, I'm absolutely sure. My friend was there as well. Hell, maybe it didn't work right, or not with every model, and that's why it's so rare. But it does exist.

Interesting. I do have to say that I have a model 1 and playing SOR 2 with headphones plugged in and the volume all the way up on it is a near religious experience.

Also, the Genesis is hands down my favorite console of all time (just the Genesis, not that Cd or 32x Bullshit). I like the SNES and a few that came after it, but to me it's the perfect piece of technology that came out at the perfect time. Sega could never recreate it's success no matter how hard they tried.

Also, Thunder Force IV is the best Genesis game. Come at me.

Slermy

I've seen mods of model 1 MD/genesis that allow for s-video out. There are YouTube videos around that show the quality provided by this (really nice)

Sorry, I thought he was saying he had S-video on his Genny "back in the day". My mistake. Yes, those S-video mods exist, and are very nice! I have an XMD-3 myself.

Also, Thunder Force IV is the best Genesis game. Come at me.

Not really a bold statement. It's an incredible game, and a very solid choice. As ordinary as it may be, Sonic 2 will forever the "the best Genesis" game for me though.

God yes.

Loved it so much I wanted to bring it back myself...

Incredible take on the plane!

Man, I hate threads like this, I always end up buying more Genesis/Mega Drive games, haha. Actually just this week I purchased Super Monaco GP, F1 World Championship, and Road Blasters.

It's kind of nice to discover all of these old games I had missed as a kid. There's always something new to play (I know this will not always be the case)!

Slermy

The red didn't bother me. Also, I liked how they unified the branding with the stripes font, just different color for platforms (Red, Blue, Yellow, Magenta, White/Silver).

Caporale

Banned
I still think that Gunstar Heroes is the best run and gun game ever made. In terms of the gameplay, no other run and gun rivals the action and variety of what you get in Gunstar Heroes.

I still think that Gunstar Heroes is the best run and gun game ever made. In terms of the gameplay, no other run and gun rivals of the action and variety of what you get in Gunstar Heroes.

I just sat down and beat it tonight because of this thread. Wonderful game.

Sorral

Oh god, this thread.... so many memories ; ; all these games...

My mega drive came with Sonic 1 and a SEGA orange shirt that was a bit too big back then.

I actually miss getting all the chaos emeralds again especially after watching this video @_@
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QCmIbYm5Rg

I just sat down and beat it tonight because of this thread. Wonderful game.

Loved it too. I remember playing it from the beginning to end with my cousin. Seems so long ago now.

Argyle

That chain is exactly what I use to great success on a Panasonic plasma tv. It's that SCART/YUV transcoder that's all over eBay.

And I might have had the s-video running from the 32x now that I think about it, but I definitely had s-video.

I can't speak to the tech, but yes, I'm absolutely sure. My friend was there as well. Hell, maybe it didn't work right, or not with every model, and that's why it's so rare. But it does exist.

Genesis Knight - thanks for confirming that that chain should work, I'll start putting it together...

I maintain that it is not possible to get S-video out of a Genesis 1 or 2 or 32X without opening up the console and modifying it. The necessary signals are simply not present on the multi-AV out, so the only way I can think of to do it without modifying the console would be to put a comb filter in the cable and pass the composite video through it, separating the composite video into the two signals needed for S-video. However, your TV pretty much does this internally already and the shitty signal you get from composite is the result (or in other words, doing this processing will probably give you a result no better than just using the composite signal directly, unless the comb filter in the cable is significantly higher quality than that in your TV). Basically, it would be like trying to reconstitute steak from hamburger.

Edit: it would also be possible to convert RGB to S-video (and quality would be good) but you're looking at a box like this:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?14569-Genesis-32X-CDX-X-Eye-RGB-to-S-Video-box

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...le-for-the-32X&p=331704&viewfull=1#post331704

Krelian

I loved that Genesis came in plastic boxes until they cheaped out later.
So glad Europe kept the plastic boxes until the end.

I love the Mega Drive/Genesis. It was my first console and what got me into gaming in the first place. I should hook it up to the TV and play some games this weekend.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
One thing I've noticed is that no matter what model Genesis I hook up, there are ugly artifacts like vertical bars. It doesn't matter whether I use composite or RF.

So if I mod for S-video or RGB, does it fix that issue?

G-Fex

I always got a special spot for my Sega Genesis, possibly even more than my SNES.

So many good times, great things.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Damn this thread... ;) I dug out my Sega stuff and now I have various models of Genesii, a Sega CD 2, and games all over my bedroom floor (and a Hong Kong PAL Mega Drive.. Don't ask).

I think it's time that I find a place to leave this permanently setup...

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Damn this thread... ;) I dug out my Sega stuff and now I have various models of Genesii, a Sega CD 2, and games all over my bedroom floor (and a Hong Kong PAL Mega Drive.. Don't ask).

I think it's time that I find a place to leave this permanently setup...

it begins bwhaha

televator

i see there's a dispute here...i literally just got my VGA > HDMI converter in the mail today from monoprice for my dreamcast. ive got the SNES on s-vid, and was trying to sort out how to hook up a genny, but at this point, rather than pick up SCART adapters and converters for both, i'm really debating tracking down a big screen, quality CRT - might have to do some homework (i'm sure there's a thread about here somewhere) as the best i've seen personally was a trinotron

Even on a CRT, component is best. In fact, it'll be better than hooking up component to an HDTV...

IrishNinja

man, i need to hit up buy/sell and see if anyone's selling any games here on the cheap. speaking of: i should find some black cases for the loose carts ive got coming in, they fit in these universal game cases but stand out a bit

I loved that Genesis came in plastic boxes until they cheaped out later.

yeah, i think Phantasy Star IV was the first one of these for me? i forget, but after paying almost $100 (worth every penny, mind) i was a bit let down by not having a shell for it.

bjork

If anyone's interested: the Chronsega video series started covering the Mega Drive/Genesis in the newest episode. Not sure when the next episode is due out, though.

smbu2000

Ooh, a Sega Genesis/Mega Drive thread!

I was a big Genesis fan back in the day. My brother and I got a Sega Genesis 2 along time in the early 90's. It was great for sports games and we played Madden 94/95, Bill Walsh's College Football, NHL 94, NBA Live 94 (others as well though I don't remember what else). Also games like Jurassic Park, Sonic 2, Sonic and Knuckles, we even had Shaq Fu! The Genesis 2 is still at my parent's house along with my 32X.

I bought a JP Mega Drive 2 about 2 years ago that I've been using up until now, but I just got a new set-up going now these past 2 weeks. With an early model JP Mega Drive 1 (no TMSS, great sound, modded with JP/US NTSC region switch) along with a Mega CD1. It's connected to my 25" Sony Wega CRT via RGB cable. (I bought a Mega Drive 1 JP21 RGB cable as well as an JP21 RGB to Sony Wega adapter like this http://dempa.jp/rgb/drug/wega21hg.html ) The difference between composite cables and the rgb cables is huge! I need to get rgb cables for my Saturn and Super Famicom now.

P1010511_a_zpsc7073447.jpg

Ramune

The next model after that (no HD graphics, but still has the space in the back where the EXT port was) is equal in sound quality, so theres that as well.

jb1EPgKa1AW7JL.jpg

Yeah, that's the one I have too! I'll have to check out that link for diffrences as I never experienced any "bad" sound from this unit. Heck, my bro and I would record SoR2's tunes from this jack to Tape/MiniDisc back in the day! ^_^

My paltry collection:

3305897443_4e8bac7b3b_z.jpg

3305897771_768cee37ac_z.jpg

Foxix Von

One thing I've noticed is that no matter what model Genesis I hook up, there are ugly artifacts like vertical bars. It doesn't matter whether I use composite or RF.

The model 1 is really the only model that has the rainbow jailbar problem. On the other hand the model 2s have worse sound but better IQ. The bars can be removed by either using a 32x (if you can find one of these fucking atrocities that actually works) or by using the scart to component method.

They don't really bother me much anymore. It's a bit like the weird, bright vertical bar that runs out of the SNES' video output. Once you notice it you'll pull your hair out and you just kind of have to get used to it.

GAF: i know a lot've you recommend SCART (or at least S-vid) for SNES, what are my best options for hooking up a genny?
This has been discussed at length since the thread started, but SCART RGB, SCART RGB->component 240p, mod it for S-Video, Composite, RF in order of preference. I settled with an S-Video-modded unit (seen here, although I've added a Model 2 Sega CD underneath it since), and it looks very nice on both a CRT and LCD HDTV. Just a shame about the jailbars, although I tend to keep overblowing their presence in my head, as compared to actually playing games on the thing.

Street of Rage 1/2 was better than Final Fight. Seriously.
Why pick sides? Get a Sega CD and you can have both. :p

SoR2 is the best beat-em-up of all time, IMO, though... maybe Bare Knuckle III, I like some of the changes that game did, although not some of the changes done to that game when it became Streets of Rage 3.

No. In fact, they make the vertical bars more noticeable. It's very overstated, like I mentioned earlier, but once you see them you can't unsee them...

The problem with vertical bar conversations is that there are two types of bars. Banding (produced by crappy connections like composite, etc) and jailbars (present even over crystal-clear RGB). No idea what the technical terms are.

Teknoman

Yeah, that's the one I have too! I'll have to check out that link for diffrences as I never experienced any "bad" sound from this unit. Heck, my bro and I would record SoR2's tunes from this jack to Tape/MiniDisc back in the day! ^_^

My paltry collection:

3305897443_4e8bac7b3b_z.jpg

3305897771_768cee37ac_z.jpg

You shouldnt, apparently its got the exact hardware from the early model 1s, just with the ext port removed. Now if you see a model 1 without that ext port or the blank spot where it should be, run away.

EDIT: Also i never new early Sonic games had so much bass. Sonic 1 & 2 plus subwoofer, headphone out for stereo, and model 1 with good sound =

ibmNv1YRh7E5NK.gif

The problem with vertical bar conversations is that there are two types of bars. Banding (produced by crappy connections like composite, etc) and jailbars (present even over crystal-clear RGB). No idea what the technical terms are.
I'm assuming he's thinking of jailbars; they're not present on a CRT with the lower-end video outputs, but I've seen a guy I know who does video capture of a Genesis over composite, and surprisingly they show up on it despite that.

I was a Mega-Drive kid in the 16-bit era. I've always been sad that the SNES seemed to have better graphics and sound than the the MD but regardless, the MD is close to my heart.

Teknoman

Every few months you get some lucky duck who picks it up for $15 CIB at a flea market. But on eBay? Cart only are selling for $50 ish, right?

Would be nice. Grabbed Gunstar Heroes and Contra Hard Corps, both complete for 10 bucks each last month...so I guess it could happen.

Then again its also about as likely as running into Earthbound for cheap. I'd just be happy with the cartridges only for both.

Dereck

YO! Just found a copy of MKII for the GEN for 9.99, with the plastic case and manual.

I saw Lunar for Sega CD, in the case, but with no manual. I was like "Ehh".

Top Bottom