• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

One of my fave Genesis shmups:

Air_Buster.jpg

Also in the arcade and on HuCard but the Genesis version is what I played... my neighbor owned a copy. I loved the 2P simultaneous play, being a huge fan of Life Force (the game that got me into shmups). The game is pretty easy and not very long (compared to the majority of shooters around that time) but has some great music, fast action and some cool level design (like a fast-paced move through tight corridors similar to parts of Gradius 3).

Don't forget to bring your glove!

woodypop

One of my fave Genesis shmups:

Air_Buster.jpg

Also in the arcade and on HuCard but the Genesis version is what I played... my neighbor owned a copy. I loved the 2P simultaneous play, being a huge fan of Life Force (the game that got me into shmups). The game is pretty easy and not very long (compared to the majority of shooters around that time) but has some great music, fast action and some cool level design (like a fast-paced move through tight corridors similar to parts of Gradius 3).
Y'know, I do like Air Buster/Aero Blasters, but it's always seemed just a step above average to me. I mean, it's a solid game, but it's not particularly exemplary in any respects. I originally played it in the arcade, then eventually got my hands on the PCE/TG16 version, then the Genesis version.

But I really dislike how the powerups get released in an arc formation. I often end up grabbing the wrong one by accident. :mad:

Dave Long

Banned
I have found the emulation on Virtual Console to be spot on, which is usually not the case on any other platform. Sometimes even emulating on PC isn't as correct as VC is for old games. So playing stuff there is really one of the best ways to experience games on the older platforms, especially if you have fond memories of playing the games in the past on original hardware.

Foxix Von

I have found the emulation on Virtual Console to be spot on, which is usually not the case on any other platform. Sometimes even emulating on PC isn't as correct as VC is for old games. So playing stuff there is really one of the best ways to experience games on the older platforms, especially if you have fond memories of playing the games in the past on original hardware.

I don't think I've ever really used the VC. Does it output in 240p?

IrishNinja

so this auction i won, it's bringing a model 2 Sega-CD. my old one was a launch model 1...aesthetics & pack-ins aside (im getting sherlock holmes vol 2 now! haha i beat 1 like forever ago), are there any major differences?

so this auction i won, it's bringing a model 2 Sega-CD. my old one was a launch model 1...aesthetics & pack-ins aside (im getting sherlock holmes vol 2 now! haha i beat 1 like forever ago), are there any major differences?
The model 2 SCD is slightly more reliable, because top-loader drives are less likely to break than tray-load ones. Also, there's a different bios animation with different music too, if you let it run without starting the SCD game (by pressing Start, or A/B/C to go to the system menu). Yeah, the model 1 and model 2 each have different music there.

Just know that if you want to go to the SCD system menu to delete files on the system (or Backup RAM Cart, if you have one), or use the CD player on a game disc, you need to have a disc in; if you boot it without a disc in and then enter the menu, the backup memory option won't appear. A disc must be in for it to work (then press A/B/C instead of Start to get there).

Oh yeah, and the internal save battery in the Sega CD (either model) is a rechargeable cell battery, so if you leave it off for too long, like several weeks or something, I don't know exactly, you might lose files.

IrishNinja

ah, good to know! looks like i won't be missing my old model one too much at least

was going through a scan of an old Sega Challenge newsletter i had...holy crap i want that bag & poster now! cant find em on ebay of course, haha...i recall some SMS games bringing a tiny/cropped version of the poster, but yeah, so awesome

AkIRA_22

One of my favourites is Aladdin. Beautiful animation, detailed sprites and back grounds with lots going on onscreen. The music was decent and it was a genuinely decent platformer. In fact most of the Disney games were good, you only have to see the difference between Castle of Illusion and World of Illusion.

26-01-11Aladdin1.jpg

Castle_of_Illusion_Starring_Mickey_Mouse_GEN_ScreenShot4.gif

mickey-mania-the-timeless-adventures-of-mickey-mouse-genesis-rom.jpg

BosSin

One of my favourites is Aladdin. Beautiful animation, detailed sprites and back grounds with lots going on onscreen. The music was decent and it was a genuinely decent platformer. In fact most of the Disney games were good, you only have to see the difference between Castle of Illusion and World of Illusion.

26-01-11Aladdin1.jpg

That's the wrong version of Aladdin, how dare you post a SNES screenshot in these hallowed grounds

Yes Boss!

Ahh... that Genesis sound chip.

Them's fightin' words. They were completely different games.

Completely different games, of course.

But, serious question, did anybody actually play and like the genesis version? I didn't know anybody at the time who did.

BosSin

But, serious question, did anybody actually play and like the genesis version? I didn't know anybody at the time who did.
Whaaaa! The megadrive version was the shit, it was the dogs bollocks.

Simply put, it was superior

smbu2000

I enjoyed the genesis version. I played the Genesis version a lot when I was younger and I still like it.

My girlfriend grew up only playing the Super Famicom. I've told her that the Genesis/MD version was good as well, but she sounded a bit dubious.
Seeing this posted makes me want to pick up the MD version of the Aladdin.

Unrelated, but I just got my Mega CD backup cart in the mail. It came with the box and everything.
The internal memory of the Mega CD and the Saturn are both so small that a backup cart is necessary, IMO.

Yes Boss!

Yeah, Youtubes of it are very impressive. Music is pretty crazy!

I've never played it, or seen it. Never knew anybody who had it.

woodypop

Popped Gauntlet IV into the CDX last night:

85EFABFA-2D56-4BB5-9ACA-65B47F86B50F-2555-000003CCC5173D88_zpsf2f7e4bf.jpg

D1DD160D-3705-4D65-850F-9AF7694C408C-3872-000003CD3FB7BA36_zpsc164f923.jpg

After playing for about 45 minutes, I had to switch it off. Great game, but in single-player it got too repetitive. I'm convinced that (like most Gauntlet iterations), it's best enjoyed multiplayer.

In Arcade Mode it lets you play through the original Gauntlet, which is a little disappointing. Would have been better to include Gauntlet II. The Quest Mode is where the game really shines, as it introduces some action RPG elements, and includes a defined ending. There's also a lot of variety in the obtainable items/power-ups and various hazards in the dungeons. Battle Mode lets players fight each other, but I don't have anyone to try this with. (;_;)

My one major complaint with this game is that it only allows for one of each class to be used at a time. You can't have 2 Wizards play simultaneously, for example. Lame.

But by god, the music is AMAZING. Some really moody stuff.

Just received my copy of The Immortal, so I'll soon be starting a play of this prequel to Dark Souls.

Afterward, I may have a go at beating Contra Hard Corps again.

ascii42

Unrelated, but I just got my Mega CD backup cart in the mail. It came with the box and everything.
The internal memory of the Mega CD and the Saturn are both so small that a backup cart is necessary, IMO.

Yeah. But there are still some annoying Sega CD games that don't recognize the backup cart. I believe Dungeon Master II is one of those, and it takes up all of the Sega CD's internal memory. Obnoxious.

Subterraia, motherfucker.

Goddamn, that game had some of the coolest fucking levels, even if it was hard as shit.

And one of the best soundtracks of that generation.

Biohazard_box.jpg

Bio Hazard Battle. A pretty cool 1992 shmup. Controls well, with a nice range of weapons and ships, and interesting organic enemies. The real highlight of this game for me though is the fantastic music. Dark bassy electronica, quite different from most games at the time. One of my favourite gaming soundtracks, personally. Here's an taste: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFGezCYPhl8

So, a few weeks ago, I got a "new" flat screen CRT TV from Goodwill, with component video inputs. I've read that it's possible to use a component adapter/converter for SCART cables. Anyone know exactly what I'd need to get that to work on an old CRT? Everything I can find online seems to pretty much focus on LCD or Plasma HDTVs. Heh.

The Genesis/CD/32X combo of mine is the only thing still stuck on composite video. Everything else I upgraded to S-Video...well, besides stuff that only works with RF, anyway, but yeah, I'd like to have nicer picture, if possible.

The composite picture looks mostly fine on this TV, but if I can do better...I'd love that

If you've got component, then just find an RGB SCART cable and an RGB SCART->component converter (note that this requires a separate plug). I'm pretty sure it's that simple, provided the TV supports 240p (which a CRT probably would).

S-Video would be trickier, as that'd require a mod. Worse, said mod would be incompatible with the 32X, unless you got the 32X itself modded for S-Video (which has been done, but is rare). Fortunately, the 32X supports RGB output natively just fine, so if you go the above route, you'll be okay.

If you've got component, then just find an RGB SCART cable and an RGB SCART->component converter (note that this requires a separate plug). I'm pretty sure it's that simple, provided the TV supports 240p (which a CRT probably would).

S-Video would be trickier, as that'd require a mod. Worse, said mod would be incompatible with the 32X, unless you got the 32X itself modded for S-Video (which has been done, but is rare). Fortunately, the 32X supports RGB output natively just fine, so if you go the above route, you'll be okay.

So...I'd need to get a powered converter, eh?

I've seen some SCART > component cables online. I don't suppose those would work, would they?

Anyway, I don't want to mod my system, which is why I was looking into this. All I know for sure is that I'd need to get a Model 2 Genesis/MegaDrive SCART cable to use with my 32X. I'm hoping not to spend much, as it's not something I need, but something I'd like to have if it's affordable.

Shaneus

So, a few weeks ago, I got a "new" flat screen CRT TV from Goodwill, with component video inputs. I've read that it's possible to use a component adapter/converter for SCART cables. Anyone know exactly what I'd need to get that to work on an old CRT? Everything I can find online seems to pretty much focus on LCD or Plasma HDTVs. Heh.

The Genesis/CD/32X combo of mine is the only thing still stuck on composite video. Everything else I upgraded to S-Video...well, besides stuff that only works with RF, anyway, but yeah, I'd like to have nicer picture, if possible.

The composite picture looks mostly fine on this TV, but if I can do better...I'd love that
Subterrania. You rock.

Biohazard_box.jpg

Bio Hazard Battle. A pretty cool 1992 shmup. Controls well, with a nice range of weapons and ships, and interesting organic enemies. The real highlight of this game for me though is the fantastic music. Dark bassy electronica, quite different from most games at the time. One of my favourite gaming soundtracks, personally. Here's an taste: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFGezCYPhl8

I agree on all counts. The atmosphere is awesome. I only wish I was better at shooters, I never did come close to reaching the end of that game.

just got this in the mail today. it's for the mega drive, but has no region protection.

New_Zealand_Story_MD_A.jpg

the creature on the left really looks like a moogle from Final Fantasy. it predates them too. are they based off some japanese folk creature?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I also grew up on a Sega Master System. After its untimely demise, we decided to buy a brand new Sega Genesis. We eventually got a Sega CD, about 50 different games, and thousands of good memories. Love this system to death to this day.

Favorites on the Genny:

NBA Live 95 (probably my most played sports game ever. Once made a team of all Shawn Bradleys and dominated everyone, LOL)
Phantasy Star IV
Sonic 2
Vectorman
Lightning Force
Gunstar Heroes
Contra Hard Corps
Castlevania Bloodlines
Shadowrun
Outlander
Road Rash

etc, etc, etc. SO many good times with my Genesis. :) Might have to bust it out and hook it up the next time my wife goes on vacation. :p

Shaneus

I had a copy and I had another few friends who did as well. That game started me on my love affair with Shiny and their MD outings. Aladdin, Lion King and EWJ (I have a hunch David Perry may have had a hand in Cool Spot under Virgin Games as well?) were all incredible showpieces for that machine.

I've seen some SCART > component cables online. I don't suppose those would work, would they?

Anyway, I don't want to mod my system, which is why I was looking into this. All I know for sure is that I'd need to get a Model 2 Genesis/MegaDrive SCART cable to use with my 32X. I'm hoping not to spend much, as it's not something I need, but something I'd like to have if it's affordable.
To be perfectly honest: I don't know. I didn't pursue this route myself, because my HDTV doesn't support 240p over component, and my Sony Trinitron CRT doesn't support component (maxes out at S-Video). I did do a cursory lookthrough at the time and it seemed like all the available options required a plug, so that's what I'm reporting. You can try the non-powered ones, but I cannot and will not guarantee their working status, either for or against.

Teknoman

just got this in the mail today. it's for the mega drive, but has no region protection.

New_Zealand_Story_MD_A.jpg

the creature on the left really looks like a moogle from Final Fantasy. it predates them too. are they based off some japanese folk creature?

Whoa. I'd like to know this too...unless one of Square's staff used to do work for Taito too.

Y'know, I do like Air Buster/Aero Blasters, but it's always seemed just a step above average to me. I mean, it's a solid game, but it's not particularly exemplary in any respects. I originally played it in the arcade, then eventually got my hands on the PCE/TG16 version, then the Genesis version.

But I really dislike how the powerups get released in an arc formation. I often end up grabbing the wrong one by accident. :mad:

AirDiver > Air Buster

230px-AirDiverGenesisGameScreenshot.png

To be perfectly honest: I don't know. I didn't pursue this route myself, because my HDTV doesn't support 240p over component, and my Sony Trinitron CRT doesn't support component (maxes out at S-Video). I did do a cursory lookthrough at the time and it seemed like all the available options required a plug, so that's what I'm reporting. You can try the non-powered ones, but I cannot and will not guarantee their working status, either for or against.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the help. I looked at a few converters earlier, but they seemed a bit expensive for me (around $50 for the ones I saw), which is why I was looking into the adapter cables, which were pretty cheap. I think I'll stick to composite for now, as it looks pretty good on my new set anyway, but I'll keep a look out for more info.

Anyway, I just played Sub-Terrania, Bio Hazard Battle, and Ranger X for a little while. I didn't do very well in any of them. Hah. I made it to the second levels in Sub-Terrania and Ranger X, and the fourth one for Bio Hazard Battle. I guess I should play them more often if I want a shot at beating any of them.

I'm still in the mood to play more Genesis games, but I'm not sure what to play now. I got a lot to choose from...

Yeah, the Genesis has no s-video support unless you get both the Genesis and 32X hard modded. European import RGB cable plus expensive powered converter box would be the only upgrade over composite that doesn't require a hard mod.

There is one thing to note though, the Genesis 1 has only mono composite for the back port. Stereo on the model 1 only comes from the front headphone jack. This is probably why the model 2 has a new video output jack -- so that they could put stereo on the back, which makes using a Sega CD with it in stereo MUCH easier. I mean, to get stereo on a model 1 Genesis with either model of Sega CD, you need to use a male-to-male headphone-plug audio cable to connect the headphone jack of the front of the Genesis to the Mixing port on the back of the Sega CD. Yes, that's what the Mixing port is for, for anyone who doesn't know -- to get stereo when hooked up to a Model 1 Genesis.

With the model 2 Genesis, you get stereo out of the Sega CD with no cables required, since it has stereo on the back video output.

I know that people talk a lot about how the model 2s are more likely to have worse video hardware, and sometimes audio too, but at least you get stereo with no hassles! But anyway, my point was that the Genesis 2 actually has two different composite cables -- there's a mono one, and a stereo one. Obviously the stereo one is better, but a mono one does exist for whatever reason; I have one, because I found it locally for very cheap. The 32X uses the same cables as the Genesis 2, I should note. So with a Genesis 1 and a 32X you need both the 32X-to-Genesis-2 cable AND the adapter that plugs it into a Genesis 1, while with a Genesis 2 all you need is the first part of that cable, the adapter isn't needed. 32Xes definitely do not always come with the Genesis 1 adapter; mine didn't, for instance, it just came with the 32X-to-Genesis-2 cable.

The other 32X thing I'd say is that with a Genesis 2, I would recommend getting the spacer (that goes in between the Genesis 2 and the 32X) if you don't have one. See, if you leave the 32X plugged into a Genesis 2 long term, and don't have the spacer, over time it can bend the Genesis circuitboard, because all of the weight of the 32X is all going down to the board through the cartridge port. With the spacer those problems are gone, it distributes out the weight. The spacer is needed because, of course, carts sit deeper into a Genesis 1 than they do a Genesis 2.

Krelian

[...]

Castle_of_Illusion_Starring_Mickey_Mouse_GEN_ScreenShot4.gif

mickey-mania-the-timeless-adventures-of-mickey-mouse-genesis-rom.jpg
That last picture is Mickey Mania. This is World of Illusion:

nhmgqan.gif

World of Illusion is probably one of my very first co-op experiences. I always liked the graphics, too.

Scavenger

I got my region modded HD Pre-TMSS Megadrive model 1 in the mail yesterday and I found out that the A/V out port has been modded to output stereo and it came with a custom made RGB cable. Seems like it needs to be modded if I want to have raw sync or use a 32X because I think the previous owner sacrificed the raw sync for stereo sound (I see Jailbars). On the plus side the stereo sound is very nice.

There is by the way a really cheap Alien Soldier repro on ebay right now. 19 dollars with shipping. Japanese style cart.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-MEGADI...451?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cce94da3b

Shion

Ah, okay. Thanks for the help. I looked at a few converters earlier, but they seemed a bit expensive for me (around $50 for the ones I saw), which is why I was looking into the adapter cables, which were pretty cheap. I think I'll stick to composite for now, as it looks pretty good on my new set anyway, but I'll keep a look out for more info.

Anyway, I just played Sub-Terrania, Bio Hazard Battle, and Ranger X for a little while. I didn't do very well in any of them. Hah. I made it to the second levels in Sub-Terrania and Ranger X, and the fourth one for Bio Hazard Battle. I guess I should play them more often if I want a shot at beating any of them.

I'm still in the mood to play more Genesis games, but I'm not sure what to play now. I got a lot to choose from...
Did you customize the controls in Sub-Terrania?

I always do this before my playthroughs, it makes everything much easier.

Such an amazing game.

Yuterald

One day before I leave this earth I'd like to beat the US version of Dynamite Headdy. This past summer I attempted to legitimately beat that game, but I only got so far. I didn't commit as much time to the game as I wanted to though so I'm hoping one day I can sit down with and spend as much time needed to learn the game'd ins & outs. It's easily one of my favorite Genesis games and could quite possible be my favorite Treasure game.

IrishNinja

which is generally considere the best megadrive/genesis to have?

everything considered like rgb, sound, compability, modding, cd etc?

wonder mega? cdx?

i just picked up a model 1, s-vid & stereo modded genesis, looking forward to that - i saw 32x's about the same too. what specifically do you have in mind?

Top Bottom