• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

whats the consensus on this?

t5tRcOZ.jpg

$50 on Amazon, are these knock offs worth it or better off searching Craigslist/ebay for a used system?

I got one for xmas as a gift and IMO, I think it's pretty lousy. The wireless controllers it comes with are basically useless because they lose their signal constantly. Though you can plug regular controllers into it, which is good. And the emulation, especially with regards to the sound, is poor. If you are a serious Genesis fan, I say stay away.

IrishNinja

^that was what i heard as well; guys i know that never had a genesis got a kick out of it for a short while, but it's not for us i'm told

How about using in-game screenshots in place of Emerald Hill zone?

i really do love that montage, so many excellent games...if we can't work it in ill just put it below, or maybe we can put a "WHAT NINTENDONT" or something fun across it as well?

It's a fun little game, it doesn't had anything ground breaking, but is still a challenge to beat plus the hi score factor that someone mentioned it

As an arcade lover, I had fun with it, is simple, yet addictive

yeah, i love arcade type gameplay so i dont mean to dump on it, just surprised its on so many collection discs and still fetches more than say golden axe, might have to do with how many copies are out there too though

Noahd42

Banned
qSU3cBL.jpg

This is what I picked up recently. Sorry for the poor quality cell phone pic but you can see some of my other goodies in the background.

I've got a cart only copy at home but it's in storage so I ordered a mint complete copy of eBay. I've played a bit of it before and watched some of a Lets Play on the game so I kind of have some idea of what I'm doing but this game is hard. I'm enjoying it a lot. It's very much an adventure game mixed with an RPG but I'm getting my butt kicked as I try to progress to the later stages. I've exclusively graduated to ghoul runs but I'm a samurai and I have basically no electronic skills so I think that is holding me back. Lots of fun though.

ascii42

Got all my Sega console games in one spot now:

32x games are:
32 Great Holes Starring Fred Couples
Afterburner
Cosmic Carnage
Doom
Knuckles Chaotix
Kolibri
Metalhead
Mortal Kombat II
Motocross Championship
NBA Jam TE
NFL Quarterback Club
Space Harrier
Star Wars Arcade
Tempo
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Racing Delux

along with Night Trap and Slam City with Scottie Pippen for 32 CD

Sega CD games you can't see are:
Afterburner III
Batman Returns
Chuck Rock
Lethal Enforcers
Road Avenger
Sewer Shark
Wonder Dog

Teknoman

Yeah something about "MEG POWER", blast processing, or nintendont would be nice.

And yeah a random Sonic or even Sonic 1up item monitor would be cool.

EDIT: That system wars logo is just too cool lol.

IrishNinja

ascii42, nice stash! im readying my setup for shots in the coming week or so when the last of it should arrive, i clearly went overboard but it'll make for some good pics, heh

EDIT: That system wars logo is just too cool lol.

right? really takes me back, couldn't leave it out of the OP as much as i tried.

IrishNinja

so, aside from some projects around the house, tonight was the "let's have some drinks and try out some games you ended up with in wholesale lots", impressions:

McDonals Treasure Land Aventure - ahahaha how the hell did Treasure do this?! this has no right to be as enjoyable as bits of it are, its like they said "man Fantasy Zone sure is trippy...let's make a platformer kind've in that art style"

Boogerman: A pick & flick adventure - I unapologetically have an SNES (and small genesis) sections i call rose-tinted alley, because they're 90's properties that turned into largely forgettable games you'd only enjoy in small doses, and even then mostly nostalgia: Ren & Stimpy, Beavis & Butthead, Spawn, Jurassic Park, Power Rangers etc.

even saying that, someone formerly at Interplay should have to answer for this. history demands it.

Phelios - underrated shooter, greek stuff already more interesting than god of war, heh

Fantasia - Disney - with and without Capcom, i wanna say - had an unusually high bar for its licenses, from NES to Genesis (Quackshot deserves the HD treatment after Castle of Illusion!). This game mars that record, despite the interesting art/concepts.

Crue Ball - well, that's a pinball game alright

more to come, time to re-up

i really do love that montage, so many excellent games...if we can't work it in ill just put it below, or maybe we can put a "WHAT NINTENDONT" or something fun across it as well?

I popped that in Google and found this...

x1czSCR.gif

http://www.lynkformer.com/2009/03/11/sega-does-what-nintendont/

Has anyone seen this before?

I'll try it in there when I get to work tomorrow and see how it works, might play with adding Sonjc as well.

There are some nice sprites you can use for Sonic here.

Sonic - http://spritedatabase.net/file/6822
Sonic 2 - http://tsgk.captainn.net/?p=showgame&t=sy&sy=7&ga=241

IrishNinja

it was totally Camineet, good call Falcon!

seems to be banned - can't for the life of me sort out what post got him banned though, much less perma'd

looking him up, i think i got him mixed up with another user herzogzwei1989, assuming they're two people, they're both banned but clearly would've been here as a part of Sega-GAF, i think. shame.

and yeah, either of those sonic poses is a classic.

ps that pic looks sexy, Noahd42!

wondermega

I think he went a little nutty with posting way too many threads about "what do you think of ghouls n ghosts on PCE vs genesis vs arcade?" - starting to make threads like that literally daily, and doing the same thing across various other big and niche forums as well. While it was sparking a bit of interesting discussion here and there, it felt a bit... crazy and spammy? Also I think both posters were the same guy

IrishNinja

^damn that's sharp! and having sonic by a background sonic would make xzibit proud, haha

also that sucks about camineet/herzogzwei, ah well

I popped that in Google and found this...

x1czSCR.gif

http://www.lynkformer.com/2009/03/11/sega-does-what-nintendont/

Has anyone seen this before?

It was someone's GAF avatar back when we were allowed animation.

I also used a similar image as my avatar here and in some other forums. Her name is escaping me, but she is a famous Japanese star that made a series of tv spots for Sega games (from here this sequence is from). If I remember right, they are for a version of Puyo Puyo for Nintendo DS and Sony PSP. Just search youtube for it.

~ZIO~

Neo Member
I'm always interested in expanding my library. I actually have very few games for this console because I was an SNES kid.

I am told that the Genesis has more to offer than one realizes because folks focus only on the BIG titles where the SNES looks to trump the Genesis, but when searching through the entirety of the libraries, Genesis tends to have a library a shade better in quality.

Hunting for gold sounds like fun.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It's such a shame that I have the perfect Sega avatar, but I mostly post on the SNES Collection thread.

What the hell is up with that?

On related news, since my Genesis busted up a capacitor and I didn't bother to replace it yet (I have to clean the motherboard and I can't find Isopropyl Alcohol anywhere! How else am I supposed to clean Capacitor Discharge? Half the underside of my mobo is covered in it), I've been trying to make my Raspberry Pi be an alternate RetroConsole and damn, the emulators in it are ROUGH.

DGen, even with the new, ARM-oriented cores, only runs at 40 fps. Pretty shitty. :(

it was totally Camineet, good call Falcon!

seems to be banned - can't for the life of me sort out what post got him banned though, much less perma'd

looking him up, i think i got him mixed up with another user herzogzwei1989, assuming they're two people, they're both banned but clearly would've been here as a part of Sega-GAF, i think. shame.

and yeah, either of those sonic poses is a classic.

ps that pic looks sexy, Noahd42!

Yeah, I never understood why he got banned either. I imagine that at least one of the times was because he had multiple accounts, but did he always have them, or was the second because he got banned a first time? If it's the former that'd probably explain it, but I don't know.

I think he went a little nutty with posting way too many threads about "what do you think of ghouls n ghosts on PCE vs genesis vs arcade?" - starting to make threads like that literally daily, and doing the same thing across various other big and niche forums as well. While it was sparking a bit of interesting discussion here and there, it felt a bit... crazy and spammy?
Why would you permaban someone for making good, interesting threads as he did? That'd make no sense. It's too bad that GAF doesn't have anyone (without him) making interesting threads like his M2 threads and such were.

Also I think both posters were the same guy
That is an issue though, if he was posting in both at the same time.

I think he went a little nutty with posting way too many threads about "what do you think of ghouls n ghosts on PCE vs genesis vs arcade?" - starting to make threads like that literally daily, and doing the same thing across various other big and niche forums as well. While it was sparking a bit of interesting discussion here and there, it felt a bit... crazy and spammy? Also I think both posters were the same guy

LOL, sounds like the legendary obsessive air raid. Anyone here remember him?

Castef

Banned
Spent something like 4 straight summers playing it during vacation at my countryside home, with friends.

The collection contained:
- Super Street Fighter 2
- Cyborg Justice
- Decap Attack
- Jewel Master
- Shining in the Darkness
- Soleil
- Landstalker
- Fatal Fury 2
- Samurai Showdown
- Eternal Champions (later we discovered it was a bootleg...)
- Sonic 1/2
- Streets of Rage 2
- Gynoug
- Sensible Soccer

Lovely times, indeed. And a great console.

I was expecially fond of Jewel Master, i really loved that game.

jewel_master_1.png

Also, Fatal Fury 2 was exceptional. They also enabled the bosses to be playable on Mega Drive, so they created a moveset using existing animation frames in order to add special moves. The results were excellent (and unique).

MEGA DRIVE, it's like something you'd pimp out a spaceship with. Genesis is what Phil Collins abandoned.
No it doesn't, it sounds like a lame attempt to appeal to what was considered "radical" in the '80s. Nobody uses "Mega" like that anymore. (Except maybe Mega Man, but "Rockman" was always a better name, at least once you understand that it's referring the music genre and not stones. Actually, considering how Mega Man's doing... yeah, nobody uses "Mega" like that anymore.)

woodypop

Also, Fatal Fury Special was exceptional. They also enabled the bosses to be playable on Mega Drive, so they created a moveset using existing animation frames in order to add special moves. The results were excellent (and unique).
Hmm. . . I've never heard that stuff before. Interesting. (You're talking about the SEGA CD version, right?)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Yeah, I never understood why he got banned either. I imagine that at least one of the times was because he had multiple accounts, but did he ?always have them, or was the second because he got banned a first time? If it's the former that'd probably explain it, but I don't know.
I once made a post out in the open asking herzogzwei if he was camineet (while camineet was banned), already knowing that they were the same person and only asking the question out of hope that he'd confirm it and that a mod would see it... Kinda douchey on my part, I'll admit. That guy was just bonkers, though. Unless I'm mistaking him for someone else (it's been a while; fuzzy memory), he once prepared a whole thread about a new Zelda game announcement just in case one happened to be announced at E3 (or some other big show), and then he posted the thread by mistake even though no such announcement occurred. Who does that, honestly?...

IrishNinja

^we totally do need more M2 threads!
Sixty, i remember that "IT FINALLY HAPPENED" thread but yeah man, you kinda narc'd on that dude, and i don't think he did any harm. from what i saw he was infinitely more interesting than so many corporate cheerleaders jr's we get at least...

If it eases the pain any, it's not nearly as good of a game as the easily available original Rocket Knight Adventures.

never got to play Sparkster but this does make me feel better!

I'm always interested in expanding my library. I actually have very few games for this console because I was an SNES kid.

I am told that the Genesis has more to offer than one realizes because folks focus only on the BIG titles where the SNES looks to trump the Genesis, but when searching through the entirety of the libraries, Genesis tends to have a library a shade better in quality.

Hunting for gold sounds like fun.

that's pretty much my take, honestly. SNES has legendary 1st party stuff, some excellent 3rd party ones about (Konami, Capcom, Natsume, Hudson, and Square + Enix locking down RPGs of every kind), Genesis usually gets the nod for SHMUPS, arcade action/ports, sports etc but i honestly think if you go toe-to-toe with other popular genres like beat-em-ups, action, shooters etc its closer than anyone thinks...its just lesser known titles sometimes.

i mean, even with that example of Konami back there, they brought some really interesting stuff: Hyperstone Heist instead of Turtles in Time, Hard Corps instead of Alien Wars, Bloodlines instead of SC IV, etc...they could've just shat out ports, but instead we got all new games, and they're all classics in my book. Sega held down the fort nearly by themselves on the RPG front, and i think their offerings there can nearly hang with some of Square's best, but they just don't get namedropped as much.

Castef

Banned
Hmm. . . I've never heard that stuff before. Interesting. (You're talking about the SEGA CD version, right?)

Nope. Cartridge. :)

My error, it is not Fatal Fury Special.

It is Fatal Fury 2. They had to implement new special moves for bosses because Fatal Fury Special did not exist yet. :)

A very good porting, indeed, even thought the move timing and possibile combos were totally different from the Neo Geo edition.

sibarraz

Banned
Nope. Cartridge. :)

My error, it is not Fatal Fury Special.

It is Fatal Fury 2. They had to implement new special moves for bosses because Fatal Fury Special did not exist yet. :)

A very good porting, indeed, even thought the move timing and possibile combos were totally different from the Neo Geo edition.

Even though it sounded worst, I always prefered the chiptunes used in the genesis version than in the SNES version, even though none of theme were good when you compared them with the original and arranged versions

Teknoman

I think a few people actually recommended that earlier...and honestly i'm always looking for obscure platformers.

Anyone else wanna chime in on Havoc?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This appeared in my YT feed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90D6gzywAnc
It mentioned a game called High Seas Havoc, and it looks derivative as fuck, lol.
I've never heard of it before now.
I remember seeing the ad for that game as a kid, and even the character art looks like Sonic wearing a bandana. I stared at it for a long time wondering if it were a Sonic spinoff.

Top Bottom