• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

I borrowed High Seas Havoc from a friend as a kid and enjoyed it well enough. The third world, though, set in a city on fire, was kind of a roadblock, though, since you're chased by a giant flame that is indestructible (and might instant-kill you, I forget), although that basically just makes it an autoscroll stage.

Never bothered to remember the game's name, though, until I stumbled upon it again a few years ago and tried it out again; still pretty decent.

IrishNinja

I had mixed feelings with el viento, I feel that the game is bad but at the same time something had that I found it cool

see, i finally got to play that one recently (fanzines in the day adored it), and i rather dug it, more than what i played of Alisia Dragoon even

Wow its nice to see one of my best friends website featured on the OP (www.sega-16.com). As soon as I saw this thread I thought about him (he probably has the biggest Genesis/Sega CD/32x collection ever).

Sega Genesis introduced me to the world of JRPG, and for that I will ever be grateful! :D

Teknoman

Speaking of which, what other JRPGs are on the Genesis aside from the usual recommendations.

I know i'll give Warsong a shot at some point.

sibarraz

Banned
Speaking of which, what other JRPGs are on the Genesis aside from the usual recommendations.

mmm, from the usual reccomendations we had

Shining
Phantasy Star
Lunar

Thinking about it, there is a good reason on why those are the only JRPG that are recommended, but again maybe Im missing something there

(Action Rpg there are tons, but the most traditional JRPG are only those)

Teknoman

mmm, from the usual reccomendations we had

Shining
Phantasy Star
Lunar

Thinking about it, there is a good reason on why those are the only JRPG that are recommended, but again maybe Im missing something there

(Action Rpg there are tons, but the most traditional JRPG are only those)

Im open for any sub genre of JRPG. Already have Landstalker, and have my eye on Beyond Oasis. Centy...one day, but i'm in no rush for that lol.

sibarraz

Banned
If you really are curious, you should play Light Crusader, the game is like landstalker but bad. Still there is something funny when you think that this is an TREASURE GAME with european art style

Also, I had heard that crusader of centy is good

IrishNinja

Wow its nice to see one of my best friends website featured on the OP (www.sega-16.com). As soon as I saw this thread I thought about him (he probably has the biggest Genesis/Sega CD/32x collection ever).

Sega Genesis introduced me to the world of JRPG, and for that I will ever be grateful! :D

you friend is awesome! ton of great info over there, that spot and SegaBits are like my favorites, use SegaRetro sometimes too

yeah, you got the usual and some others - if you're down for action RPGs, id say Landstalker, Shadowrun, cant recommend Light Crusader myself cause i just got it but it looks cool.

Crusader of Centy is one of the last on my list, and it's awesome - some take it for Sega's LTTP, i dont know if id say that but it's really fantastic & didn't get enough people (myself included) playing it in the day.

curious if any of the Pier Solar crowd here would recommend it?

IrishNinja

haha crap totally forgot that one; i bought it recently during my retro kick but havnet sat down to play it yet...i'm told it's a good call though!

I beat it recently and really enjoyed it. Fair warning if you're an SOR head though, the re-used Streets of Rage sound effects are hilarious and took some getting used to.

IrishNinja

ah, that's cool! prolly off-putting, but cool. i've been noticing that lately though...i don't know if it was Contra Hard Corps or which cart the other day, but it was tripping me out, i know i was hearing earlier sega sounds from it, like they were stock or something.

galvatron

Melf seemed like a cool guy whenever I saw him posting on TNL. Had some good talks with him about Batman and Robin and Contra: HC. Surprised he hasn't found his way here...

If you really are curious, you should play Light Crusader, the game is like landstalker but bad. Still there is something funny when you think that this is an TREASURE GAME with european art style

Also, I had heard that crusader of centy is good

It's not bad. It's actually got great graphics, catchy music, and pretty engaging level/puzzle/combat design. It's just not as genre-defying as most Treasure games.

IrishNinja

^nice Alex Kidd avatar!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DVYLN6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you've got the cash in your gaming budget, i'd go for it. 30+ bucks cheaper than whats on Amazon anyway.

yeah, i wanna say that was the price GaurdianHeroes said his shop charged when they have a copy in stock, looks like a few lucky auctions aside it's the price to beat.

speaking of Guardian i hope he comes back around, wanted to buy Punisher off of him!

Cyntec

alright, I did it: I just bought me a Mega Drive after 15 years of abstinence :)

Anyone can recommend me some good horizontal/vertical Shoot 'em Ups - if there are any?

IrishNinja

good horizontal/vertical Shoot 'em Ups

oh man, did you come to the right place!

M.U.S.H.A.
Thunder Force III
Lightening Force (IV)
Gaiares
Truxton

lately ive been messing with Arrow Flash, Phelios & Tiger Shark as well, and i'm totally forgetting some others!

Cyntec

oh man, did you come to the right place!

M.U.S.H.A.
Thunder Force III
Lightening Force (IV)
Gaiares
Truxton

lately ive been messing with Arrow Flash, Phelios & Tiger Shark as well, and i'm totally forgetting some others!

hahah, I thought so. Shame on me, I haven't heard about any of those games, but I mainly grew up with the NES/SNES and never spent _that much_ time on the MD. But your list should be a good bunch to start with - thanks a lot, mate :)

Teknoman

alright, I did it: I just bought me a Mega Drive after 15 years of abstinence :)

Anyone can recommend me some good horizontal/vertical Shoot 'em Ups - if there are any?

If? Shooter fans cant do any better than Genesis unless they went with PC engine stuff at the time :D

Lightening Force will blow your mind.

Also Elemental Master is really fun.

Cyntec

If? Shooter fans cant do any better than Genesis unless they went with PC engine stuff at the time :D

Lightening Force will blow your mind.

Also Elemental Master is really fun.

haha, alright, like I said my childhood has been dominated by Big N, therefore I'm only aware of the more popular games on the Mega Drive. I actually started to watch longplay videos on youtube in order to see if there games I don't know but look fun :)

Edit: interesting - "Lightening Force" is called "Thunder Force IV" here in Europe. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMB-OAodJ4w (hypothetical answer included ^^)

Teknoman

haha, alright, like I said my childhood has been dominated by Big N, therefore I'm only aware of the more popular games on the Mega Drive. I actually started to watch longplay videos on youtube in order to see if there games I don't know but look fun :)

lol I can relate, I didnt really THAT into Sega until the last half of the Genesis life...

That and I had my post window open before Irish beat me to it :p

Cyntec

lol I can relate, I didnt really THAT into Sega until the last half of the Genesis life...

That and I had my post window open before Irish beat me to it :p

I realized that Mega Drive wasn't popular at all here in Germany. When I think back at the time in school, I hardly remember anyone who had a Sega system. I still know that everyone totally went nuts when I came up with a Game Gear while everyone else had a Game Boy and all my friends were so excited to see a portable gaming system with a colour-screen ^^

televator

Found a couple of games at Goodwill... How good are these?

DSCN0801_zps6222bfc5.jpg

Grabbed my first EA game (oh gawd dat ugly cart!), but I guess Road Rash is a good start.

Mega Turrican... 2 things I know:

1. I've heard the name pop up once in a while, and I think it's generally thought of as good.

2. That is some SWEET cover art!

Steel Empire is an underrated shooter for the platform. Pick it up if you find it cheap. It's called Empire of Steel in PAL land.

Grabbed my first EA game (oh gawd dat ugly cart!), but I guess Road Rash is a good start.

1. I've heard the name pop up once in a while, and I think it's generally thought of as good.

Turrican 2 is the highlight of the series, but Mega Turrican (Turrican 3) is a very, very good game.

I recently got Thunder Force III, and now I want Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar aka Thunder Force IV. I played Thunder Force III, and the game is really hard imo.

Teknoman

Very good.

chemicals

AIR BUSTER.

I played wayyy too much of this game. I asked for Sonic The Hedgehog (1st one) and got this instead. I was a confused young lad.. after playing it I was very Happy though.

televator

Road Rash is definitely a fun game, but both of the sequels are much better.

Still fun tho. Can't wait to try it! Looking back when I was a kid, it's weird that I never so much as seen an EA game; not just in my possession, but my neighborhood friends never seemed to have them either.

Gotta love that bass!

Have you played the 3DO game? Road Rash 3D is the best in the series IMO. It also got ported to Playstation and Saturn but I've never played those versions.

Speaking of the devil, I found the PS1 Version too.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

Warsong is pretty awesome, and it's got some great buttrock courtesy of Noriyuki Iwadare of Lunar/Grandia fame.

I'd also recommend Star Odyssey, one of those post-lifespan games released by Super Fighter Team. The game was originally slated to come out in the US back in 1992, but got cancelled, and the near-finished translation was picked up by Super Fighter Team, majorly polished, and finally released. It's like a lower-budget Phantasy Star 2, basically. Which is why I dig it, even if it may be a bit primitive for some.

gryz

Banned
just got back from Japan, my only megadrive purchases were Space Harrier 32x complete in box for 400 yen and Shining Force 1 from a junk bin for 50 yen. MD stuff seems to be even rarer than PC Engine over there, I did see a bunch of wondermegas but I had to draw the line somewhere. bought a ton of PCE and Famicom stuff though.

ACESmkII

Yes! Both my XRGB mini and my Mega Drive 21pin RGB cable arrived today!

I gotta get get some work done and then I'll spend some quality time hooking everything up.

I will take some pics later after I play around with the settings and get the picture how I want.

IrishNinja

props televator, good pickups man!

Turrican 2 is the highlight of the series, but Mega Turrican (Turrican 3) is a very, very good game.

2 was on genesis? ive only seen the original (which i didnt find as fun) and mega.

AIR BUSTER.

I played wayyy too much of this game. I asked for Sonic The Hedgehog (1st one) and got this instead. I was a confused young lad.. after playing it I was very Happy though.

still gotta play it one day...was this one of the renovation ones?

just got back from Japan, my only megadrive purchases were Space Harrier 32x complete in box for 400 yen and Shining Force 1 from a junk bin for 50 yen. MD stuff seems to be even rarer than PC Engine over there, I did see a bunch of wondermegas but I had to draw the line somewhere. bought a ton of PCE and Famicom stuff though.

ah, that's a bummer...id had it in my head if i made it out there id find some treasures, but it did finish a distant 3rd i guess. maybe ill get lucky and land my suzuki characters gashapon though!

Yes! Both my XRGB mini and my Mega Drive 21pin RGB cable arrived today!

I gotta get get some work done and then I'll spend some quality time hooking everything up.

I will take some pics later after I play around with the settings and get the picture how I want.

please do! mine just shipped, cannot wait

gryz

Banned
ah, that's a bummer...id had it in my head if i made it out there id find some treasures, but it did finish a distant 3rd i guess. maybe ill get lucky and land my suzuki characters gashapon though!

I thought it was funny how the market is somewhat reversed compared to here. Games like shining force are dirt cheap, but then the Japanese Megadrive version of True Lies was going for ~$60

woodypop

I thought it was funny how the market is somewhat reversed compared to here. Games like shining force are dirt cheap, but then the Japanese Megadrive version of True Lies was going for ~$60
lol, I've never thought about that before. Krazee =D

Top Bottom