• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Rezae

Highly recommend the simple SCART to Component device you can find on eBay/Amazon for $50-ish if playing on a CRT (haven't bothered to try on my LED, I'd imagine the signal will be whacked or still ugly).

JB9ZXrA.jpg

Left is SCART>Component, right is composite.

IrishNinja

^yeah, if i wasn't crazy going in on the mini id've done the same

Yeah. XRGB mini scales to 1080p perfectly. The problem is that scanlines are busted in 1080p mode.

But you shouldn't care whether your TV does 240p. That's why you got the Framemeister. If your TV did 240p, it would look like crap compared to how it looks through the mini.

ah, right right - and ive no intention of turning on scanlines at 1080p, just wondering if my scalers will suffer at 720p on my new set, can't find much info on that at the moment but ima keep looking. id hate to have even the mini not have much to work with at the res, as an option.

also, again: anyone ever had to replace the volume slider on a model 1? ive got 2 systems so i wanna take the good one & swap it, just not sure if i'd need to take off the case or how best to manage this without breaking it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Amazon.co.jp will only ship within Japan anyway.
Amazon itself (not individual auction sellers) will ship internationally. The only remotely tricky part of the checkout process is that it asks for your name in katakana, but I doubt you even have to be completely accurate with that.

Dang, the yen is under 100 to the dollar right now? I might need to shop around in the near future while the price is right... Haven't really been on an import spree since the rate was over 130.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Amazon itself (not individual auction sellers) will ship internationally. The only remotely tricky part of the checkout process is that it asks for your name in katakana, but I doubt you even have to be completely accurate with that.

Oh that's right... it was a third party seller on the site that I was thinking of buying through.

canocha

Finally found a blue label cartridge Streets of Rage 2 (i think it only came out in Portugal.. i might be wrong)

IqxWEgP.jpg

Does anyone know if a full blue cover came out? I find it weird that only the cartridge is (the first one i bought when i was a kid was also like this)

Cyntec

Teknoman

Been posting in the other threads since I got really lucky today when out shopping, but heres my Genesis stuff. Snagged Outrun, Super Hang On, and Castle of Illusion, each complete in original box / pretty good shape.

Never played the Genesis Outrun or Castle of Illusion, and only vaguely remember Super Hang On...havent had the chance to see if they work either, but they look pretty damn new.

IrishNinja

^nice pickups man!

here goes...pretty proud of this one, my current Sega Genesis library! took some time/$$$ to put together...

Ristar's still not here, but that's basically it. the rest of my want list are mostly B tier's im just holding out for boxed copies on the cheap - Golden Axe, Altered Beast and the like, though Elemental Master's now on my radar!

oh yeah, here's the Sega shelf:

televator

^nice pickups man!

here goes...pretty proud of this one, my current Sega Genesis library! took some time/$$$ to put together...

Ristar's still not here, but that's basically it. the rest of my want list are mostly B tier's im just holding out for boxed copies on the cheap - Golden Axe, Altered Beast and the like, though Elemental Master's now on my radar!

Well... That's a real nice home for Thunder Force III. ;)

Edit: I see it. Right next to Musha.

IrishNinja

and Lightening Force! i know the pics are kinda crap, i took daylight ones with my phone + no flash (you'd miss almost a whole shelf with the flare), but blowing up the pic really puts it to shit, heh

estarland had elemental master in stock & i had some trades, so i guess that's that...still gotta find that sega genesis cart shelf one day though

Noahd42

Banned
^nice pickups man!

Very nice. Looks like a lot of quality on those shelves.

woodypop

Great organization Irish! (You've inspired me to dig out my SEGA promo posters and get 'em framed.)

Where does everyone put their shelves full of stuff? In a game/rec room? In the living room? Bedroom? Or someplace else?

IrishNinja

^thanks guys! and yeah i painted the other bookcase red for nintendo stuff, heh

i ordered the saturn 3-pack with the poster from that thread, so the saturn should be covered - just looking for a good dreamcast one now. and woody - i live in a small apt so that's my living room, but when i manage a house i was debating a classic game room or converting the garage!

canocha

^nice pickups man!

Thats an impressive collection!!

Got Garfield for Mega Drive:

U95Bbfh.jpg

Thats an impressive collection!!

Got Garfield for Mega Drive:

U95Bbfh.jpg
That reminds me. I lived in England for three years, right; Summer '96 through Summer '99. During that time, I owned an NTSC Genesis and Saturn, but the local air force bases barely ever stocked anything Sega-related (I think I passed on one of the Panzer Dragoon games at one point - pretty sure it was Zwei, but my memories keep telling me it was Saga so as to mock me for spending $160 on eBay years later). So, anticipating that PAL games in an NTSC system would have some kind of region-lock (not entirely true, as I later found out, but whatever), I was pretty much stuck with what I had (instead, I wound up buying more PC and Game Boy games, since the latter definitely didn't have a region lock, and region-locking on a PC? lol).

So imagine my surprise when I walk into the local GAME one day and find a Genesis copy of Garfield in the Act on sale amongst the Mega Drive games. Snatched that up like wildfire, and yeah, totally NTSC-U and everything. Weird. How often does that happen?

I've seen PAL Xbox games while thrifting in the United States. Could formerly be from someone's personal collection?

A UK podcast (Retro Collect) had a Mega Drive episode and remarked that Genesis titles often made it over to retailers. It wasn't until years later one of the hosts realized all this time his copy of one of the Mickey Mouse games was an American Genesis version.

woodypop

I was going thru my games last night when I came across T2: The Arcade Game. It's unusual in that it comes in a cardboard box that opens like a book:

61693989-FA6C-4863-B138-4ED4CDB5704D-7372-0000060DB5138D8E_zpsbe8956e1.jpg

7AB8DA0D-86DC-434E-B6A8-1317F08CB123-7372-0000060DD083ED0C_zpsbf4e1a57.jpg

It's the only game I have in this type of box. Dunno if any other games were packaged like this. Double Dragon 3 is advertised on the back of the manual, so maybe that was, too?

SMD

My mate used to get loads of Genesis games for his Mega Drive. His method of beating the region lock? Jamming the cartridge in harder.

I was going thru my games last night when I came across T2: The Arcade Game. It's unusual in that it comes in a cardboard box that opens like a book:

61693989-FA6C-4863-B138-4ED4CDB5704D-7372-0000060DB5138D8E_zpsbe8956e1.jpg

7AB8DA0D-86DC-434E-B6A8-1317F08CB123-7372-0000060DD083ED0C_zpsbf4e1a57.jpg

It's the only game I have in this type of box. Dunno if any other games were packaged like this. Double Dragon 3 is advertised on the back of the manual, so maybe that was, too?

That's kind of strange, don't think I've ever seen that kind of box before.

Lettuce

The XRGB Mini is a MUST if you intend to game on a LCD, i know its a fair old price but the thing just looks amazing, I have a HANTAREX CT 28 EQ MONITOR that i usually retro game on but the Mini is sooo damn close to a CRT, looks just lovely!!......

IMG_1528.jpg

Just done the CCAM on my MegaDrive II console aswell, now the audio it just as good if not better than a Model 1 system.......

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...-2-version-1-0&p=568933&viewfull=1#post568933

Sapiens

[IMhttp://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m251/jacknotjill/61693989-FA6C-4863-B138-4ED4CDB5704D-7372-0000060DB5138D8E_zpsbe8956e1.jpg[/IMG]
[Ihttp://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m251/jacknotjill/7AB8DA0D-86DC-434E-B6A8-1317F08CB123-7372-0000060DD083ED0C_zpsbf4e1a57.jpg[/IMG]

Wow, I've own/owned boxes of all kinds of Sega stuff - never seen that...

televator

Alrighty GAF, I'm officially ready to go SCART. I'm taking the plunge into AV nirvana. I haz the money, but I have no idea what to do. Because of how threads on GAF tend to move quickly, I've lost track of what might seem to work for me. The whole Pal Scart Vs Japanese Scart and which one works for US systems throws me for a loop.

I have a US model 1 Genesis + 32X. What are good cables for both? Does the 32X even output RGB? I recall one that already had an audio jack. I'm also hooking up to a CRT, so I don't need a fancy scaler, but I'd like a good reference for a Scart to component box. Preferably one that is known to work on pretty much any system (Saturn, SNES) if possible.

Help me GAF, and I shall sacrifice 3 goats and 6 chickens in your honor. Well... maybe not, but you'll have my thanks. :p

I looked into SCART a little while back. If I'm not mistaken, you'll want Japanese RGB SCART cables. If you plan to use them with a 32X, you'll need the Genesis Model 2 RGB SCART cable.

As for a SCART to component box, this seems to be most popular option for CRTs:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XSSDPO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I think it only passes video, so you'll need to have the audio come out of the headphone port on the Genesis.

Quackula

Those scanlines are waaaaay too harsh.

Aside from the other responses (the scanlines on high end CRTs look pretty much identical to that, and they look fine from a normal playing distance) you can adjust the density of those scanlines or even turn them off completely.

Man, I need to get some real shelves at some point. Heh.

This is what I'm using now:

I found it in a closet in an extra bedroom here. There was nothing there but some old shoes and socks (whose, I don't know), so I took it. I used to have all of this stuff in drawers. It feels pretty nice to have them on display...it's also easier to get to them. The drawers I was using were too small to place them sideways, so I had to stack four games on top of each other, instead. I think I had six stacks of four games per drawer. This new thing is much nicer. Hah.

baphomet

I picked up a bunch of 1st party games today. Wonderboy in monster world, fantasia, super thunder blade, afterburner II, and space harrier 2. All for about $20.

Does anyone know any genesis games that will display Japanese language when I switch the region to jpn? I'm pretty sure SoR 3 will, but I'd like to know some others if anyone knows.

woodypop

Man, I need to get some real shelves at some point. Heh.

This is what I'm using now:

I found it in a closet in an extra bedroom here. There was nothing there but some old shoes and socks (whose, I don't know), so I took it. I used to have all of this stuff in drawers. It feels pretty nice to have them on display...it's also easier to get to them. The drawers I was using were too small to place them sideways, so I had to stack four games on top of each other, instead. I think I had six stacks of four games per drawer. This new thing is much nicer. Hah.
It's compact and tidy. I like it.

I need to get more shelves, too. Just waiting to find the perfect ones.

televator

I looked into SCART a little while back. If I'm not mistaken, you'll want Japanese RGB SCART cables. If you plan to use them with a 32X, you'll need the Genesis Model 2 RGB SCART cable.

As for a SCART to component box, this seems to be most popular option for CRTs:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XSSDPO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I think it only passes video, so you'll need to have the audio come out of the headphone port on the Genesis.

Ah there we go! That's the one Dark10x reviewed. Thanks a lot! Added to my shopping list.

I'm still not sure about the SCART cable itself though. The description for the converter Says it takes these signals:
Works with PAL, PAL M, PAL N, NTSDC, NTSC 4.43 and SECAM.

I don't think it'll work with a Japanese cable (?)

Ah there we go! That's the one Dark10x reviewed. Thanks a lot! Added to my shopping list.

I'm still not sure about the SCART cable itself though. The description for the converter Says it takes these signals:

I don't think it'll work with a Japanese cable (?)

Japanese and US consoles both use NTSC signals, so it should work.

I only mentioned Japanese SCART cables because I've read in the Saturn thread that PAL SCART cables for the Saturn might mess up a US console. Not sure if that'd be the same for a 32X.

Anyway, I think this should work: http://www.retro-access.com/ourshop...nesis-2Nomad32XSega-Pico-RGB-SCART-cable.html

...or just listen to the guy below me. I haven't actually bought any SCART cables or anything yet, but I did research it for a few days a month or two ago. I think the cable I linked to should work fine, though. I don't know if the site is any good, though.

I was seriously looking into this stuff, but then I realized that it costs way too much for me right now. Maybe sometime down the road...

Composite looks okay enough on it on my latest CRT TV, at least. I did start buying component cables for some of my other consoles, though, and man...it's beautiful. Beats out composite and even S-Video, easily.

Quackula

Japanese RGB21 cables have a completely different pinout than SCART. They use the same connector, but you shouldn't mix the two.

Only reason you should be looking at Japanese RGB21 cables is if you're using an XRGB and don't want to bother getting an adapter or rewiring the RGB socket for SCART input.

IrishNinja

speaking of, retro_console_accessories just restocked last week, i bought the XRGB EU SCART adapter + SNES, Saturn & Genesis SCART RGB cables for about $80 shipped total, double checked with bocodragon to make sure i had the right ones and since we're both in FL they should be here thusday, can't wait!

debated the 32X one but honestly for the 6 or so titles i have, i'll make do with upscaled composite.

Top Bottom