• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Does anyone know any genesis games that will display Japanese language when I switch the region to jpn? I'm pretty sure SoR 3 will, but I'd like to know some others if anyone knows.

Loads of the early games do SOR 3 does not though.

Revenge of Shinobi
Streets of Rage 1+2
Mystic Defender has a whole intro cut scenes missing when the game is run under US settings
Altered Beast
Mercs
Ghouls and Ghosts
Truxton

televator

Japanese RGB21 cables have a completely different pinout than SCART. They use the same connector, but you shouldn't mix the two.

Only reason you should be looking at Japanese RGB21 cables is if you're using an XRGB and don't want to bother getting an adapter or rewiring the RGB socket for SCART input.

So Euro SCART it is then for a Genesis. I'm guessing that goes for SNES as well, but as KdAsh brought up, there was that horror story about that US Saturn that didn't take too well to Euro SCART... I wonder if it was really a problem of the Saturn and not the scaler the guy was using...

Here's the post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48380474&postcount=1346

Edit: Actually the guy was using what he thought was a JP SCART cable on his XRGB, but it turns out that it might have been a Euro SCART cable instead. So it was the Euro cable on the JP input on XRGB that was the problem. So EURO SCART from any US system on the component converter should be Okay(?)

Well, that's it then. I'm jumping in.

Slermy

Alright, jumping on the FrameMeister train! Don't really have a space for it (using a CRT for my classic consoles), but it just looks so good. It'll be fun to hook up a genesis to the main TV for a bit.

speaking of, retro_console_accessories just restocked last week, i bought the XRGB EU SCART adapter + SNES, Saturn & Genesis SCART RGB cables for about $80 shipped total, double checked with bocodragon to make sure i had the right ones and since we're both in FL they should be here thusday, can't wait!

debated the 32X one but honestly for the 6 or so titles i have, i'll make do with upscaled composite.

Hmmm... I bought one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-seller-3...ideo_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2ec5ceb0e6, but didn't think about checking to see if they sold a SCART -> Framemeister cable. For that, I ended up paying a touch more and ordering this:
http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/...ni-adapter--euroscart-with-sync-stripper.html

Looking at it now, both cables have extra circuits in them, did I make a mistake? Or am I good to go?

televator

speaking of, retro_console_accessories just restocked last week, i bought the XRGB EU SCART adapter + SNES, Saturn & Genesis SCART RGB cables for about $80 shipped total, double checked with bocodragon to make sure i had the right ones and since we're both in FL they should be here thusday, can't wait!

debated the 32X one but honestly for the 6 or so titles i have, i'll make do with upscaled composite.

They say they'll charge less shipping for multiple items, but to do so you shouldn't pay through the automated ebay payment... How does that work? I don't get it. So I suppose I "commit to buy", but I don't go through the payment, they send me an invoice, and then.... how do I pay them?

IIRC electronic invoices like that include a link to pay it over Paypal.

Still not gonna bite the RGB bug. Call it sunk cost fallacy, but I've invested too much into S-Video stuff right now to do an upgrade like that (plus N64 doesn't support RGB, IIRC; I'd have to get one modded).

televator

Cool, thanks!

Yeah as far as the actual console goes, Nintendo went at the N64 to cut cost. So they cut RGB support. The good thing though is that N64 has bearable IQ even in composite. S-vid looks pretty good on N64.

Still, I prefer the way the N64 cleans up when emulated. Progressive resolutions do wonders for the in game details of that system.

Anyway, too much non-SEGA talk going on here, so I'll talk about what I found while prowling the streets yesterday. I found Dynamite Headdy with a case, a complete Space Harrier II, and a cart only Shadow Dancer.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
how does the XRGB look with just composite or s video input?

It does as good as it can with those signals. It's just that you're left staring at the flaws inherant to those cables.

1. Composite looks fuzzy. There's all kinds of dot crawl. The image appears to dance a bit. For something like NES where getting RGB is hard/expensive, composite will work ok. It's as good as you've ever seen a NES before, most likely.

But actually, since this is a Genesis thread: Composite on Genesis looks even worse than composite on many other consoles. I think it's nearly unplayable... there's all kinds of muddy aritfacts, the colors are dull, and there's a "rainbow" effect with the model 1.

2. S-video is not terrible at all. Just a little mud in the blacks, and a bit of blur on the pixels if you're really looking.

But if you spent $300+ on the XRGB, doesn't it make sense to just buy the relatively cheap SCART cabes?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
yeah just wondering if the extra inputs are good for my systems that don't do RGB

Yes. It'll still upscale those signals perfectly, put scanlines on them if you want, etc.

It's how I play NES.

I haven't even tried N64 through S-video, but I bet it looks alright actually! (that RGB mod is relatively easy/cheap to do though)

televator

Oh, I hate waiting!

I ordered the converter and the cable for the Genesis. I wanna try out 1 cable and make sure it works before I go "all in" with all my systems. The Genesis being the one that is most in need of IQ clean up will be the test dummy. :p

IrishNinja

boco man, you really need a thread for us, haha...poor Slermy, i wanna say he has the right looking cable but i don't know!

They say they'll charge less shipping for multiple items, but to do so you shouldn't pay through the automated ebay payment... How does that work? I don't get it. So I suppose I "commit to buy", but I don't go through the payment, they send me an invoice, and then.... how do I pay them?

she seems to take a while getting back to people...i did just that & waited a couple days, even sent her an invoice request, nothing! i think i paid < $5 per cable, might hit her up after the fact to get some of the shipping back since she mentioned that, or see if she'd take it off a 32X cable, heh. but yeah, she does good work but hasn't been super awesome at returning emails & such so far

Oh, I hate waiting!

speaking of...maaaaan i wish japanese tracking said more than "ITS STILL ON ITS WAY GAIJIN DOG" everytime i check

televator

Duuuuuuuude, I know that feel right now too. I'm importing a PS3 game from Play-Asia.... So freaking anxious and excited!

Edit: that reminds me... I also need to import a Super Gameboy 2. Ugh! Games are SRS business.

Icelight

This topic inspired me to dig up my Genesis "collection" from when I was a kid and start building it up.

The only problem is I don't have room for a CRT TV, and I can't really justify buying an XRGB...

I guess the only other options are play the Genesis via composite connected to an HDTV (yuck!) or wait for a Retron5 (which is probably a yuck! given that it'll just be emulation...).

Does anyone here have any comments on the Retron3's emulation quality?

gryz

Banned
sorry if this has been covered but is the XRGB mini superior to the XRGB 3 or are they comparable? seems like the 3 gives you a lot more inputs

This topic inspired me to dig up my Genesis "collection" from when I was a kid and start building it up.

The only problem is I don't have room for a CRT TV, and I can't really justify buying an XRGB...

I guess the only other options are play the Genesis via composite connected to an HDTV (yuck!) or wait for a Retron5 (which is probably a yuck! given that it'll just be emulation...).

Does anyone here have any comments on the Retron3's emulation quality?

well I overheard it playing Thunderforce 2 at the local game shop the other day and it sounded like garbage

Icelight

well I overheard it playing Thunderforce 2 at the local game shop the other day and it sounded like garbage
Hah, thanks.

It's so hard to get consistent feedback on this thing. Some people say it's close enough to the real thing, others say it's trash, some say it's merely okay.

It sounding good is certainly important though!

Maybe I'll just try connecting my damn system to my HDTV via composite and see how it looks...

Slermy

boco man, you really need a thread for us, haha...poor Slermy, i wanna say he has the right looking cable but i don't know!

Hmm... maybe I should just order another SCART->FrameMeister cable then from the eBay user, then I'd at least know the two should work together. Seems excessive though.

Icelight

Classic Game Room has a two part review on the Retron3. It might be be useful.

Part 1, Part 2.
Thanks! Not sure how I missed this one when I went looking for reviews/impressions. I'll give it a watch.

I think the best course of action for now is to just buy a composite cable (I'm embarrassed to say I only have RF right now lol) and wait for the Retron5 impressions, whenever it comes out.

If they're not all that great, and if my eyes are bleeding from composite hooked directly to an HDTV, I will give in and buy a damn XRGB mini :p

Teknoman

Yes. It'll still upscale those signals perfectly, put scanlines on them if you want, etc.

It's how I play NES.

I haven't even tried N64 through S-video, but I bet it looks alright actually! (that RGB mod is relatively easy/cheap to do though)

S-video looks pretty good on the N64 and SNES.

sibarraz

Banned
I'm playing phantasy star 3 now

The game feels a bit dull, but god, the music is so epic that I keep playing it

It's like Final Fantasy XIII for me again, I bought the game just because the boxart was beautiful, and keep playing it because of the epicbattle theme that had

In PS3 case, the dungeon and towns music are superb

IrishNinja

^the music really is good for PS3, despite its flaws...Sword of Vermillion is a similar story for me

maaaan this HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS genny i had laying about, it's still got the TMSS...gonna use it for now but keep looking till i find one just like my original unit!

Noahd42

Banned
I made it to the final zone, Scrap Brain and all the way to act 3 today in the original Sonic. I seriously hate water levels in that series though. Such a solid platformer, kept me busy today lol. Gotta stock up on a few extra lives in the earlier levels though.

Also, I might have an in on a 32x with Knuckles Chaotix and a few other games boxed for around 60-75 bucks. We will see if the seller on kijiji plays ball... Don't have a 32X yet, but I have a CD in storage back home with my other Genesis stuff.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
picked up warlock game is pretty decent
warlock_zps01742cf0.jpg

Noahd42

Banned
I was going thru my games last night when I came across T2: The Arcade Game. It's unusual in that it comes in a cardboard box that opens like a book:

61693989-FA6C-4863-B138-4ED4CDB5704D-7372-0000060DB5138D8E_zpsbe8956e1.jpg

7AB8DA0D-86DC-434E-B6A8-1317F08CB123-7372-0000060DD083ED0C_zpsbf4e1a57.jpg

It's the only game I have in this type of box. Dunno if any other games were packaged like this. Double Dragon 3 is advertised on the back of the manual, so maybe that was, too?

There is a whole series of weird boxes. This guy's blog has a bunch of videos showing the different box types: http://gameover-johnny.blogspot.ca/2013/01/complete-us-sega-console-library-cib.html

He said the T2 and Menacer game were in that style as pack ins or possibily individually.

IrishNinja

nice pickups, boutdown! i gotta get Shining Force 1 back one day. also, never saw that box for Vermillion before, is that the mega drive one?

IrishNinja

yeah, im gonna spend some more time gawking at that link/those images later, bad enough it has me looking for a fucking menacer on ebay now

ascii42

T2 the arcade game is one of the best light gun games I played as a kid.

I played the crap out of it on the Game Gear. Don't remember if I ever got to the point where you go back in time. Maybe once. I bought the Genesis version not too long ago, but my Lethal Enforcers light gun doesn't have the necessary buttons

IrishNinja

^yeah, as i recall that game was pretty much THE reason to have a menacer; like, both it & the super scope had pack-in mini-games (though ours at least brought a ToeJam & Earl one! yeah, none of them were great), im trying to think of a SS game that nearly justified its existence as much as T2 did for sega at the time, me & my friends would play the crap out of that one. it was cool trying to shoot up the robots till this circuit would pop out of them, i recall it being mad points or something if you could hit it in time

Yeah, T2: The Arcade Game is a great game... I loved it in the arcades back in the '90s, and have, and like, the SNES version as well. It's probably better than the Genesis one because it supports the mouse, not only the Super Scope... unless the Genesis version has Mega Mouse support? Mouse is great for lightgun games. It makes them a bit easy, but I'm terrible with actual lightguns, so that's not too bad. :)

^yeah, as i recall that game was pretty much THE reason to have a menacer; like, both it & the super scope had pack-in mini-games (though ours at least brought a ToeJam & Earl one! yeah, none of them were great), im trying to think of a SS game that nearly justified its existence as much as T2 did for sega at the time, me & my friends would play the crap out of that one. it was cool trying to shoot up the robots till this circuit would pop out of them, i recall it being mad points or something if you could hit it in time

Well, T2 and the 6-in-1 cart that came with it were literally the only Genesis cart games that support the Menacer. Sega had made a whole bunch of lightgun games on the Master System, and did some great ones on Saturn and Dreamcast, but somehow the Genesis didn't have any apart from the 6-in-1, first party wise. Very odd. I mean, in design the Menacer is an obvious Super Scope knockoff, but given Sega's long history of lightgun games both before and after the Genesis, it's strange that they didn't really make any (that one super shoddy 6-in-1 aside) that generation, on consoles at least.

The only other games that support the Menacer are American Laser Games' stuff for the Sega CD (Mad Dog McCree, etc.). They support both the Menacer and ALG's own Sega CD gun. I'm not 100% sure if the ALG gun works with those two Menacer cart games...

Noahd42

Banned
yeah, im gonna spend some more time gawking at that link/those images later, bad enough it has me looking for a fucking menacer on ebay now

The sidebar has videos too. Only a few but very comprehensive on his Genesis cardboard, Sega CD and 32x stuff.

I went back and finished off Sonic tonight. Pretty good play through. Love the music. Unforunately, I didn't get the "good" ending because those chaos emeralds are so annoying to get but it was well worth it.

I've got T2 myself, loose, back home but don't have a light gun for the Genesis.

IrishNinja

^congrats! and man, they're annoying at first but i still think sonic 1 is way easier for me to get all the emeralds than 2, i still never managed it there...stoopid Tails' shit AI always getting hit, and me without a good player 2

The first Sonic is the only one I've managed to get all of the Emeralds in. It's really easy to do...at least, for me.

Sonic 2 I can get 5, usually...but I've never gotten all 7. I think it's about the same for Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. Heh.

I did get all of the Time Stones in Sonic CD, though! That wasn't too hard. I also broke all of the machines in the past versions of all of the levels, too.

Not sure if anyone has posted this... Star Fox for Genesis homebrew rom, shown running here on an actual system. Pretty impressive work... though 5-12fps with not too much going on and no sound yet is on the lower edge of playable. Still, it shows that you can technically do it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQaY3-FNOuM

This video shows how it runs at several overclocked speeds on the Genesis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNGWykZ0ju0

Seeing this makes me annoyed at Sega, instead of wasting so much money on stupid add-ons for their Mega Drive; why on earth didn't they just put all this money into making really incredible games for it, pushing the technical boundaries?!

Seeing this makes me annoyed at Sega, instead of wasting so much money on stupid add-ons for their Mega Drive; why on earth didn't they just put all this money into making really incredible games for it, pushing the technical boundaries?!

Games? But what people really want is new hardware platforms on a regular basis, right? Never mind about actually having enough games for each one, they'll buy them anyway! It's new, the hardware is cool, we want to move on to new things... "enough games", bah.

But Sega made plenty of games that pushed the hardware. Also, which add-ons were stupid? I'll agree with you on the 32X, but the Sega CD is fantastic and so is the Power Base Converter.

IrishNinja

But Sega made plenty of games that pushed the hardware. Also, which add-ons were stupid? I'll agree with you on the 32X, but the Sega CD is fantastic and so is the Power Base Converter.

+1 to this, personally...i mean i can see where both can be argued as money-sinks that confused consumers, but again as a diehard sega fan, nothing bucked me more than a $400 price tag on the saturn at launch, personally

Dave Long

Banned
I was and still am such a SEGA fan that none of their decisions ever bugged me much. I wanted to play as much SEGA stuff as I could. Console add-on? Sure! Another one? Virtua Racing? YEAH! I just couldn't have cared less that they were launching stuff rather quickly.

I bought a Saturn the day it suddenly appeared in stores. I played Virtua Fighter, Daytona USA and Panzer Dragoon like a fiend. It was awesome.

The only consoles I buy on launch day anymore are Nintendo ones because they still give me the same thrill.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I didnt read through 40 pages, but have anybody played or mentioned Rolo to the Rescue? Its an obscure plattformer from EA that is really cutesy, but actually quite decent with some interesting mechanics and an awesome Super Mario World-esque world map. Definitely recommended for plattform-fans!

I didnt read through 40 pages, but have anybody played or mentioned Rolo to the Rescue? Its an obscure plattformer from EA that is really cutesy, but actually quite decent with some interesting mechanics and an awesome Super Mario World-esque world map. Definitely recommended for plattform-fans!
I mention it every time somebody wants Genesis game suggestions.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
^congrats! and man, they're annoying at first but i still think sonic 1 is way easier for me to get all the emeralds than 2, i still never managed it there...stoopid Tails' shit AI always getting hit, and me without a good player 2
If you play as Sonic or Tails alone instead of together, the ring requirement is lower.

Sonic 2 is way easier to get all the emeralds in anyway because you just get so many more chances. Sonic 1 allows 10 attempts total at 6 emeralds, whereas it's possible to get all 7 in Sonic 2 in the very first zone.

Top Bottom