• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis Mini |OT| SEEEEEEEEEEEGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Komatsu

GwZ4o6J.jpg

j8dbMAp.png

The SEGA Genesis Mini, also known as the Mega Drive Mini outside of the North American territories, is a dedicated home console inspired by SEGA's original Gensis, released in 1988. The Mini is an emulation box, running on an ARM-based system-on-chip (SOC) ZUIKI Z7214, with an internal flash memory of 512mb. All games were ported by the famed Japanese studio M2. The Mini is the fist piece of hardware released by SEGA for the general public since the Dreamcast.

Developer: SEGA, M2
Manufacturer: SEGA
Release Date: September 19, 2019
Introductory Price: US$79.99 / ¥9,980 / €79.99 / £69.99
SOC: ZUIKI Z7213
Memory: 256MB
Storage: 512MB

sega-gensis-games.png

rAQVzLD.png

IHYwPO7.png

CT3R5cc.gif

Kazza

Great OT! The only thing I'll add is this brief roundup of the 42 games by Sega Lord X:

Oh, and it's Megadrive, not Genesis, grrrrr!

I want one mainly just to feel that three button pad and bask in nostalgia.

I literally haven't held one since 1994.

I've ordered the Asian one and am a little worried at how small the 6 button joypad looks compared to the 3 button one. I remember the 3 button feeling huge in my tiny child hands, but now it would probably be the perfect size.

MacReady13

Ordered my Mega Drive mini through Amazon Australia. Hopefully it arrives on time tomorrow. I also order 2 of the retro bit 6 button controllers for some Street Fighter goodness!

Cravis

Definitely looking forward to this. Preordered one but not sure when I will get around to hooking it up.

Sega showed they actually cared. They took it away from AT games and hired M2 to make it. They didn’t half ass it like Sony.

The PlayStation Classic felt like some Sony exec was tasked with doing it but pawned it off on the frat boy intern who partied all weekend and threw it together at 4 AM the night before while furiously downing adderall and Red Bull to keep awake.

Kazza

My main gripes are the audio lag and input lag they have. I expect better honestly. I mean modders can fix this issue but still.

According to that DF Retro video, the quality of the emulation is roughly on par with the Nintendo mini consoles. Having 42 games offered for under $2 each (not to mention the included hardware) was never going to be as good as M2's $8 a pop Sega Ages efforts. For anyone super sensitive to this sort of thing, then the Mega SG is probably the more suitable option (or just old hardware with a CRT). For me, any lag which requires the video be slowed down to 50% speed in order to become noticable isn't a big deal to me.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
According to that DF Retro video, the quality of the emulation is roughly on par with the Nintendo mini consoles. Having 42 games offered for under $2 each (not to mention the included hardware) was never going to be as good as M2's $8 a pop Sega Ages efforts. For anyone super sensitive to this sort of thing, then the Mega SG is probably the more suitable option (or just old hardware with a CRT). For me, any lag which requires the video be slowed down to 50% speed in order to become noticable isn't a big deal to me.
Input lag is more noticeable than slowing down the video 50% from what I saw. Or the latency in the audio by half a second for most of the games. At that point why not just get a licensed sega 6 button controller and just emulate the games on a pc/laptop that does it better?

Komatsu

Input lag is more noticeable than slowing down the video 50% from what I saw. Or the latency in the audio by half a second for most of the games. At that point why not just get a licensed sega 6 button controller and just emulate the games on a pc/laptop that does it better?

I've read we can expect 3 to 4 frames of input lag, which is barely noticeable. Will confirm on Friday once I get my own.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Every. Single. Mini. Console. Thread.

TvfIY3f.jpg

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I didn't say Raspberry Pi but obviously people say this enough for you to save said images? Congratulations? That being said I bought the SNES classic for a family member and it works fine. I have the NES classic myself and audio lag isn't there so SMD.

I've read we can expect 3 to 4 frames of input lag, which is barely noticeable. Will confirm on Friday once I get my own.
Please do. The Genesis was one of my favorite consoles (I liked the first revision version better) and was interested in this until I saw the input/audio lag.

Xenon

Every. Single. Mini. Console. Thread.

TvfIY3f.jpg

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You can get a PS Classic for 19.99 and it comes with controllers. Sorry RB fans, Sony's screw up is your loss.

Any chance you can get this at Midnight at Walmart?

Last edited:
Didn't they already make something like this like 2 or 3 years ago I saw this thing in a toysRus. Is there something better about this new one that can explain why it's almost double the price and half the games?
61b6NxmH1rL._AC_.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I had 16 of those games and rented a couple more.

Altered Beast has to be one of the worst Genesis games, but somehow is a classic arcade/Genesis game. You can beat that simple short game in the first hour you open it.

On the other hand, Shinobi 3 and SoR 2 were phenomenal.

Never knew Tetris came out for Genesis. lol

Komatsu

Guys, trust me: I was living in Brazil when this console came out and my heart thoroughly understands that its real name is indeed the SEGA Mega Drive. But us, inhabitants of the United States of America, comprise the majority of GAF users, which is why I used Genesis Genesis in the title of the OP.

My main gripes are the audio lag and input lag they have. I expect better honestly. I mean modders can fix this issue but still.

CGQ (Classic Gaming Quarterly) also had issues with it when he showed the Genesis Mini on a livestream. Some people in the chat said that there's a firmware update fixing this issue, but I have found no evidence. They probably referred to this video of Digital Foundry, where SEGA sent firmware updates right up until the E3.

Kazza

Guys, trust me: I was living in Brazil when this console came out and my heart thoroughly understands that its real name is indeed the SEGA Mega Drive. But us, inhabitants of the United States of America, comprise the majority of GAF users, which is why I used Genesis Genesis in the title of the OP.

It's ok, I'm sure we all understand. It's only when British youtubers use the word Genesis that I get really triggered. :messenger_pouting:

I've just realised, But what was the reason for the inconsistency with the Genesis box art layout?

Some with the red Genesis label down the left, Some with the border and some without...

Is it just because there wasn't any regulated uni-formality back then like there would be with Playstation and Dreamcast boxarts?

Did the publisher just do what they liked with the box art format?

I'm really curious about Light Crusader; always wanted to try that game, so it will be one of the first games that I'm going to play. Some games I'm eager to revisit are: The Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis), Castle of Illusion, Wonder Boy in Monster World, as well as Earthworm Jim...

OP, could you add the Asian/Japanese Game varients too?

Excited for this but may have to wait until after this side of 30. ;______;

Europe and the Middle East get the console on October 4 due to issues with logistics. Elsewhere on September 19. I also have to wait for two more weeks (I live in The Netherlands).

The Dutch are way more patient than British people at least.

I can imagine you going on with your day and the UK people who pre-ordered are like this.

anger-annoying-what-makes-brits-angry-788748.jpg

WHERE THE HELL IS MY ORDER AMAZON!!!!

Me in a few days time.

O1YNvZl.gif
CVk3pmc.gif
D6gtaVw.gif
20C8RbE.gif

Oh, SEGA Lord X got the Castlevania Bloodlines Virtual Console fact wrong. He means Rondo of Blood which is the PC Engine game.

Last edited:

nkarafo

It's disapointing that the emulation isn't once again as good as a homebrew emulator you can get on PC or even android. Genesis Plus GX emulator in RetroArch is practically perfect even on lower tier devices with perfect sound emulation without sound lag. Pretty sure even Fusion is better than the mini, and it's final update was in 2010. I don't know why these companies can't make a good emulator for their own systems that they designed. Neither Nintendo or Sony have made a good emulator in their mini devices or services.

Minis still look pretty awesome on your shelf though.

The Dutch are way more patient than British people at least.

I can imagine you going on with your day and the UK people who pre-ordered are like this.

anger-annoying-what-makes-brits-angry-788748.jpg

WHERE THE HELL IS MY ORDER AMAZON!!!!

Haha! Well, yeah, there's nothing I can do about it, so focusing on the delay would be exhausting. Looking from another point of view, it's all the more exciting when I finally get my hands on it. :coffee: -> 🥳

I hope you will get yours on time. (y)

Top Bottom