• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega has announced a Mega Drive Mini 2, including Mega CD games

Kokoloko85

Sega isnt ever gonna port anything outside of their repeated 20-40 Megadrive/Genesis games they keep releases over and over again ffs. While always teases they might do more if these are successful

I already own the first mini… why would i want 2? Ill just hack the 1st one to have all the games? Is there a way to add them up?

If they were smart, they would release a virtual console type store/app for all their 1st party master system, Megadrive, Saturn and Dreamcast games. Put it on Steam/PS/Xbox/Switch…. Money to be made dummies

cireza

I already own the first mini… why would i want 2? Ill just hack the 1st one to have all the games? Is there a way to add them up?
I have a Wii U that has been doing all of this but better for years. And I still own a MD and Mega-CD with retail games, by the way.

No reason to invest in these mini consoles. They don't even output 1080p lol. So you can say goodbye to integer scaling on a 1080p TV.

Kokoloko85

Bandai made a Saturn Mini. Unfortunately it doesn't play any games but it looks cool.

Q57D9L3.jpg

This makes me sad :( one of my favourite consoels.
Sega need to do something with the 1st Party titles from Master System, Saturn and Dreamcast

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Last edited:

Kokoloko85

The first Genesis Mini has 512 mb of Storage... (real size 450 mb ?)
https://www.planetemu.net/roms/sega-mega-cd-sega-cd-gamessega-mega-cd-sega-cd-games

Shining Force CD 415mb

You can hack 1 Sega CD RPG or 2 action games on your Megadrive mini 1... 🥳👍🏽

Luckily you can hack them with a microSD card and have more memory. Same as Snes & Playstation classic or mini whatever its called. I got 128gb but need more for my PS1 collection

But wondering if you can connect the mini Mega CD to the Mini Genisis 1? Just for looks lol

Impotaku

Luckily you can hack them with a microSD card and have more memory. Same as Snes & Playstation classic or mini whatever its called. I got 128gb but need more for my PS1 collection

But wondering if you can connect the mini Mega CD to the Mini Genisis 1? Just for looks lol
Yup they showed the newer mega cd connecting to the md mini 1. They even included the expansion parts to properly do it, pointless a little but still fun they went all out in letting you dress your mini up in any configuration.

tommib

I’ll finally play Mansion of Hidden Souls?

I had a VHS tape with a trailer for that game. Don’t ask me how. It looked like a mix between 7th guest and D. Always wanted to try it. SEGA, you son of a bitch.

Well it was a costly mistake yes, the sales figures speak for themselves, and wasn't it Bernie Stolar who said "Saturn isn't our future".....when Sega saw the writing on the wall, they couldn't wait to wash their hands off the console..
Bernie Stolar was a 2d/RPG phobic dipstick that turned both early era NA PS and late Saturn to shit.

If Sega wanted to distance themselves from Saturn, why would they be including the games in remake/remaster polls? It's all about the games.

Sakura

Never really understood the point of these things aside from the novelty.
Would rather just buy the original console.

wondermega

I do like that Sega still do strange things like this, even if it isn't something that I am not sure I would like yet. It will depend on the final lineup, of course, but it is interesting to watch nonetheless. I haven't gone for most of the minis (I have Neo Geo and PCE) but the latter really sold me with it's odd/interesting titles and so I appreciate that they seem to look toward this direction as well. My knee-jerk reaction was "uhhh.. do I care?" but seeing Silpheed, Virtua Racing, Shining Force in there made me double-take. So we will see where it goes.

As many others have mentioned, I'd absolutely love to see a Saturn mini, DC, and yes definitely SMS down the line. Can't rule anything out of course - back in the day I was SURE we'd never get to actually see a PCE mini, so there is always hope!

Fat Frog

The best fighting game of the Megadrive by Treasure has a price...
https://www.pricecharting.com/fr/game/jp-sega-mega-drive/yu-yu-hakusho-makyo-toitsusen
Only for this game the first mini was profitable.

PS: Holy shit, when i checked it 10 years ago it was more like 200 bucks.

Retro suckers... 😆
Of course, i prefer ports on PC and new hardware but mini consoles are a good middle ground.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

These just work out of the box and look better on modern hdmi TVs. Retro games are also way more expensive than buying this with like 40 games. I got one and hacked it with like 100 games I liked.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Never knew about this one. We had NES clone and thought it was only 8-bit console.
Somehow graphics looked better to me on SMS than on NES.
That's because the NES had the same hardware in the Famicom which was released in Japan in 1983, while the Sega Master System was released in 1985 as Sega Mark III in Japan. So 2+ years better hardware in SMS.

Impotaku

They allow you to experience the library without having to sell a kidney, a small bite sized sampling of the best that the console had to offer in a convenient package with nice image quality. With the first MD mini if you were going to buy the real thing it would set you back not hundreds but thousands to get the games that were released on the first one there were a lot of heavy hitters financially. Tetris alone assuming you could even find one of the few that exist would set you back thousands. Vampire killer is another that you would have to shell out a kidney to get.

RAIDEN1

I hope we get Cobra Command. I know it was a simple fmv 'game' but it was a blast and had an amazing soundtrack.

That game should have been released on the 32x CD, far and away a better option than the grainy video, with washed out colours

Sakura

The best fighting game of the Megadrive by Treasure has a price...
https://www.pricecharting.com/fr/game/jp-sega-mega-drive/yu-yu-hakusho-makyo-toitsusen
Only for this game the first mini was profitable.

PS: Holy shit, when i checked it 10 years ago it was more like 200 bucks.

Retro suckers... 😆
Of course, i prefer ports on PC and new hardware but mini consoles are a good middle ground.
If aren't a collector and don't care about the box etc you could get that game for like 20 bucks https://jp.mercari.com/item/m93344130181
These just work out of the box and look better on modern hdmi TVs. Retro games are also way more expensive than buying this with like 40 games. I got one and hacked it with like 100 games I liked.
These things aren't using anything particularly good for their HDMI output, so if all you care about is getting an old console to output to a modern TV, you could just buy a cheap composite to HDMI dongle and you basically have the same thing.
If you are hacking it to play games, at that point aren't you just playing an emulator and roms? Why do you need the device then, just grab an emulator.
They allow you to experience the library without having to sell a kidney, a small bite sized sampling of the best that the console had to offer in a convenient package with nice image quality. With the first MD mini if you were going to buy the real thing it would set you back not hundreds but thousands to get the games that were released on the first one there were a lot of heavy hitters financially. Tetris alone assuming you could even find one of the few that exist would set you back thousands. Vampire killer is another that you would have to shell out a kidney to get.
The cost of retro-games is over exaggerated. Unless you are a collector, who wants games you're never going to play, in the box with instruction manual and everything, then the games aren't that expensive.
Like Tetris for example, I understand an original copy of the original game would be expensive. But why would you want it if you aren't a collector?
These things are just glorified emulators with a limited selection of games.

lachesis

Just found out that Director Yukawa passed away last year...
I hope when they release mini DC, I would love to see the original Japanese Launch DC orange-box with his face. (One that I had..)

Last edited:

Fat Frog

If aren't a collector and don't care about the box etc you could get that game for like 20 bucks https://jp.mercari.com/item/m93344130181
It's a lucky shot.(even in the comment someone is talking about scam, fake account that's could explain why this marvelous price doesn't find any buyer..)

Nonetheless, one element is true, you can sometimes find a good deal...
Most of the time it requires time, luck... Let's face it, even in your "great deals store" you won't find all the games of the megadrive mini at low price, at the same time:
https://jp.mercari.com/search?keyword=魂斗羅ザ・ハードコア(holy shit, i didn't even notice that Contra without the box, is almost the price of the megadrive mini 😆)
Yup, no 1000 yen deal for this one, for instance(it's not even the most expensive genesis game of the bunch) which means you'll have several shipping costs (because your cannot buy them all at the same time, from the same seller or store)

And what about unreleased games ?
How will you play them on an OG megadrive ?
I don't know maybe you'll find us another lucky link from an ex Sega employees but i doubt he'll sell his treasure for 50 bucks... 😆

Treasure hunting has a cost (time, train tickets if you live in japan and want to hunt cheap rare games in unknown hidden shops, multiple shipping costs if you hunt on the internet...) > Pain in the ass

Or you can buy a cheaper mini console (not used), with a load of rare games, new musics from Yuzo Koshiro, unreleased games...

Of course, Mini consoles have real value.
(And we didn't bring OG Xbox's size in the discussion 🥳 :thereisatankinmyhouse: )

PS: Ok, i admit not all mini consoles have value 🤪😆: PSX was a crappy hardware (had to buy several consoles to play my great games) but Sony managed to do even worse with the PS mini... The library is so crappy i don't see any reason to buy it. It's pure trash 🥳

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I got my powerbase for one of my Mega Drive mini. Turns out it doesn't fit the European version of the Mega Drive mini and only the JP version. I found it odd... Only 2 days from Japan, was surprised how fast I got it.

dgS0bkD.jpg

Bullet Club

Sega’s new Mega Drive Mini 2 is getting a $150 controller​

Plus 11 more games are confirmed for the currently Japan-only mini console

XOzFQNf.jpg

Sega has announced 12 more games set to be included with the Mega Drive Mini 2 console, along with a $150 controller.

During a live stream on Friday, the company revealed Outrun, Afterburner II, Starblade and more will be included with the console, which is so far only confirmed for release in Japan.

In total, Mega Drive Mini 2 will include 50 Mega Drive and Mega CD titles, including arcade ports and what Sega describes as a “mysterious new work”.

So far, 22 Mega Drive Mini 2 games have been announced. The next batch of titles will be revealed in a similar live stream next month.

The latest confirmed games are:

• Outrun (Mega Drive)
  • Afterburner II (Mega Drive)
  • Night striker (Mega CD)
  • Ninja Warriors (Mega CD)
  • Starblade (Mega CD)
  • Splatterhouse Part 2 (Mega Drive)
  • Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (Mega Drive)
  • Mega Panel (Mega Drive)
  • Ichidant-R (Mega Drive)
  • Columns III (Mega Drive)
  • Star Mobile (Mega Drive)
Sega also announced the USB Cyber Stick – based on the controller from Sharp of the same name from the early 90s – which will offer analog controls for compatible games in Mega Drive Mini 2.

The controller features an analog stick, throttle, and the ability to swap the two for left or right-handed players.

The Cyber Stick will release on October 27 – the same day as the mini console – and retail for 19,800 JPY, or around $150 / £120.

rO1uYWT.jpg

The Mega Drive Mini 2 will be released on October 27 in Japan and will cost ¥9,980 ($75). Sega has yet to confirm a western release.

The first Mega Drive Mini was released in 2019 and included 42 games, with the libraries differing per region. It included new ports of Darius and Tetris, which had never been released before.

Source: VGC

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

Sega’s new Mega Drive Mini 2 is getting a $150 controller​

Plus 11 more games are confirmed for the currently Japan-only mini console

XOzFQNf.jpg

Sega has announced 12 more games set to be included with the Mega Drive Mini 2 console, along with a $150 controller.
I‘m beyond being able to decide if this is totally amazing or incredibly stupid.
I thought Sega had topped themselves with the Game Gear Mini, but they keep raising the bar.

I think it would have been better if they planned ahead with their first mini. Instead of making this, they should have made it where the 32X and Sega CD add-ons for the first mini had games for those systems on them. Would have been cool to add the Sega CD add-on to the side and then it adds 10-15 Sega CD games to the game list.

Impotaku

I‘m beyond being able to decide if this is totally amazing or incredibly stupid.
I thought Sega had topped themselves with the Game Gear Mini, but they keep raising the bar.
That controller is nothing to do with sega though, it’s been made by micomsoft but still a really weird choice. It does work with pc and md 2 mini but 20,000yen is a lot for a controller let alone one that is configured to work with a handful of md games on that mini.

Seems the amazon japan scalpers are out in full force for that stick though. All of them have slapped an extra 10,000 yen markup on the price making it 30,000 yeah fuck that lol.

RAIDEN1

If they are releasing it in the West, Sega certainly are in no hurry to announce it.....ironic really seeing as originally the Genesis had flopped badly there..

For a second I was like "neat, never knew Sega CD had The Ninja Warriors" then saw it's the arcade version.

grantorino-clint.gif

Last edited:
Great entry with really nice visuals and a Redbook Soundtrack. There is also an additional third story and a final, secret battle. Highly recommended.

I only played a bit of the beginning to gaiden 1 - why do you consider it a great entry? doesnt it lack one of the core mechanics to the franchise that made the trilogy fantastic and unique - the adventuring between battles. Obviously its superior to gaiden 1 & 2 but thats a given. Would like to hear what makes it a great entry though compared to the rest of the series. Will gladly give it another go

Last edited:

cireza

I only played a bit of the beginning to gaiden 1 - why do you consider it a great entry? doesnt it lack one of the core mechanics to the franchise that made the trilogy fantastic and unique - the adventuring between battles. Obviously its superior to gaiden 1 & 2 but thats a given. Would like to hear what makes it a great entry though compared to the rest of the series. Will gladly give it another go
It has all the charm of the series, excellent pixel art and soundtrack. The fact that it does not have exploration is actually a plus for me. It is fun the first time you do the games but I'd rather skip all of this during the following runs.

It was also extremely well developed with minimal loading times.

You also get a bonus 3rd book with very fun battles. Too bad Final Conflict did not have the same type of port, game is amazing.

Last edited:

Zug

The first one was a good idea (NES mini), but what is the point in owning 10 little plastic boxes with tangling wires everywere, if their selling point was to take little room and be convenient ?
Just get a retropie, recallbox or SNES/MD mini+Hakchi, and be done with it...

lachesis

What makes Viewpoint a bonus title other than the fact that the port sucks?

Apparently they made it work better (smoother) than original genesis port.
(Video said something about "Teradrive technology" lol...)

I think they are adding some enhancements on certain games.
For example - Phantasy Star II - it will contain the PS2 versions easy mode... 1/2 encounter, 2x Exp, and faster walking speed etc.
Truxton will have Arcade OST and Genesis OST
Robo Aleste will have both JP and US ver...
I also think Fantasy Star on it is like that rebuilt version of Darius on original Megadrive/Genesis Mini.

Stuff like that.

Quasicat

The first one was a good idea (NES mini), but what is the point in owning 10 little plastic boxes with tangling wires everywere, if their selling point was to take little room and be convenient ?
Just get a retropie, recallbox or SNES/MD mini+Hakchi, and be done with it...
Some people just don’t want to deal with it, regardless of how easy it is. I’ve got a couple of friends that love to play on my SFC Classic which has all of my owned games, from multiple systems, loaded on it. I’ve told them that I could set it up with their personal game collections, but they think it may break and I won’t be close by to fix it.

As for me, I did it since my TV only has HDMI and honestly don’t want all the different classic consoles when one, with a usb mod, would meet my needs.

Reactions: Zug

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Apparently they made it work better (smoother) than original genesis port.
(Video said something about "Teradrive technology" lol...)

I think they are adding some enhancements on certain games.
For example - Phantasy Star II - it will contain the PS2 versions easy mode... 1/2 encounter, 2x Exp, and faster walking speed etc.
Truxton will have Arcade OST and Genesis OST
Robo Aleste will have both JP and US ver...
I also think Fantasy Star on it is like that rebuilt version of Darius on original Megadrive/Genesis Mini.

Stuff like that.
Yeah Fantasy Zone is a new port, the Genesis only ever got the Sonsoft developed sequel Super Fantasy Zone.

If they're fixing the Viewpoint port that's cool. I remember that game being really disappointing. And the later PSX version too.

lachesis

Yeah Fantasy Zone is a new port, the Genesis only ever got the Sonsoft developed sequel Super Fantasy Zone.

If they're fixing the Viewpoint port that's cool. I remember that game being really disappointing. And the later PSX version too.

I think also Japan never got the Viewpoint - so perhaps that's one of the reason it's called a bonus. However on the video, they did mention that Western version did run pretty poorly, so they used the "teradrive technology to speed things up" .

Time stamped the play part on the announcement video (long one) ... I still think it's no match to the original Neo Geo, and looks pretty drab like the old genesis ver - but compared to other videos of the game, it does seem somewhat smoother.

Top Bottom