• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega imposes video and streaming restrictions on Puyo Puyo Tetris [Up: For Japan]

Edit: no restrictions on English release
Hey guys, Sam Mullen here, producer working on SEGA's JP lineup and all that jazz.

As we all know, there's a lot of discussion about the do's and don'ts of streaming swirling around the web right now, and I wanted to step in and speak to Puyo Puyo Tetris (coming to PlayStation 4 and Switch on April 25th! ::car dealer wink::)

For the English version of Puyo Puyo Tetris, there are no scenes blocked, and nothing that you can't stream from either version of the game.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is a competitive game with a casual appeal, and we rely on you, the community, to get out the word on this title, and encourage you to share your experiences with you friends, families, and followers.

All we ask is that you share respectfully and responsibly, and please respect the rights of SEGA and its partners.

Before you get your britches all up in a bunch this does NOT necessarily apply to the English localized versions of Puyo Puyo Tetris... yet
https://twitter.com/sam_mullen/status/849268645356216320

http://puyo.sega.jp/puyopuyotetris/agreement/
In short...
1) Videos of any gameplay can't be posted for profit unless the website you upload it to already has a mechanism for copyright takedowns
2) Nothing from Adventure mode, or replays from Adventure mode can be uploaded (there's a lot of cutscene dialog, like more than you'd expect from a puzzle game)
3) Pretty much every other mode, like classic Tetris endurance, netplay, and local VS, are fine as long as it conforms to 1)
4) You cannot modify the watermark that gets slapped on videos recorded using the XB1/PS4 share feature, and you need to accompany every video you post with a TTC copyright notice

edit: Asides from the watermark/copyright stuff this is NOT a Tetris license issue. See the similar restrictions in place for the Puyo game released last year in Japan
http://puyo.sega.jp/PuyopuyoChronicle/agreement/index.html

Spinifex

I'm glad some Japanese companies still care about the sanctity of the gaming experience, I don't want every aspect of every game spoiled before I even get a chance to play it. I want to be SURPRISED that I can rotate blocks counter-clockwise.

/s

Point 5 on that Japanese link makes it seem like it's a Tetris thing.

When using play movies, please attach the following copyright notice in the play movie or in the explanation text of the play movie.
© SEGA Tetris ® & © 1985 ~ 2017 Tetris Holding.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Really weird
I'm glad some Japanese companies still care about the sanctity of the gaming experience, I don't want every aspect of every game spoiled before I even get a chance to play it. I want to be SURPRISED that I can rotate blocks counter-clockwise.

/s

lol

Giant Bomb posted their video without the watermark.

they had no issues whatsoever, i'm pretty sure this is not enforced.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
No free advertising for our games, thanks.

I mean I can understand, someone can just watch a game of Tetris and then it's like they've seen the whole thing! They won't need to buy it anymore.

Sega has been getting worse, I also hear they are taking down any use of their games even in "tags" on websites even with name association in anyway.

mlclmtckr

Banned
If this is coming from Tetris Corp I can kind of see why they're so serious about copyright. Tetris is a very reproducible thing after all, the ruleset is completely transparent.

They might just be rabid about their IP in all cases, vigorously defending that copyright so they can go after any Tetris clones.

After all look what happened to Threes.

But why? At least with Persona you can make the argument that someone can watch it instead of playing it.

It's their loss I guess...

Puyo Puyo Chronicle had similar restrictions in place (although they at least let you share Chapter 1 of story mode in that game)

Like posted on their site and everything? That's weird, never heard anything about that.

Edit: Then again it is a 3DS game, not many people streaming that stuff.

If this is coming from Tetris Corp I can kind of see why they're so serious about copyright. Tetris is a very reproducible thing after all, the ruleset is completely transparent.

They might just be rabid about their IP in all cases, vigorously defending that copyright so they can go after any Tetris clones.

After all look what happened to Threes.

This makes sense with something like Nintendo going after AM2R, but in this case I'm not sure.

/s
Sheesh! Spoiler tags people! I never knew you could rotate counter-clockwise. No wonder Sega wants to block their games from being spoiled before they are released.
/s

:p

emb

Great, now I don't feel good about buying this. There are enough other recent games, maybe I'll skip it... Not that I stream or anything like that even. And I'd be buying localized, so it would super not affect me.

Why are game companies allowed to have any say in how a game is streamed or recorded? Taking profit from it, ok, I can at least see why there's a debate around that. But for a game company to say "you can't record this, you have to leave watermarks on that", that's unacceptable. It's such a minor thing but for some reason it makes me irrationally annoyed.

Link1110

Gee, this after the persona crap yesterday. I think I know whose idea THAT was.

My 13 year old Sega fanboy self is crying even worse than when Reiko Kodama made a game as shitty as 7th Dragon

/s

This game has blocks? Tag that shit dude.

EyeQueue

Neo Member
I have an import copy of Puyo Puyo Tetris and it blocks sharing on the PS4 during any sort of cutscene. I was REALLY excited to get this game again and stream it, but now I'm not sure I want to give them anymore money.

Instro

The only thing I can think of is that they fear people watching a game from beginning to end rather than buying it...? Or they are just weirdos, who knows.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I too don't want to know if the L block is coming next or not

Blue-kun

God forbid we spoil PuyoPuyo Tetris now. I think this is completely reasonable and fully understand their concern.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah the Tetris Company is hellbent on destroying their only franchise by completely mindshare-backwards methods of legally preserving it.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like there was some young, forward-thinking exec who was part of Sega trying to shake things up in the past few years. He or She ended up either quitting or being fired and now the old guard is back in charge with old guard thoughts towards the internet.

Blue-kun

I feel like there was some young, forward-thinking exec who was part of Sega trying to shake things up in the past few years. He or She ended up either quitting or being fired and now the old guard is back in charge with old guard thoughts towards the internet.

It's either that or he got sent to Sonic Team. It seems like that's where all the forward people in SEGA end up these days, but they must pledge their loyalty to lord meme before taking the job.

That makes them go beyond and reach a level of forwardness that's more forward than what you'd actually want. And then things like the official Sonic Twitter and YouTube accounts happen.

God bless for those guys, though. They sure make my life happier.

Top Bottom