• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega imposes video and streaming restrictions on Puyo Puyo Tetris [Up: For Japan]

inner-G

Banned
I was on the fence about buying this on Switch already because they're asking like $50 for something realistically worth $15, but now there's no way I'll support it.

It's officially begun then, companies are now starting to fight back against streamers to try and re-claim "lost" sales, in their mind.

Jesus, don't pass on a Tetris game because of this. Moral grandstanding over this of all things is whack.

If anyone was legit going to watch a stream of this game for the story and not the gameplay, then man your life must be pretty sad if that was your launch Tuesday plans. lol

If i watch a stream of this, it will be to see how skilled the pros are and hopefully get some good tips. A story in this type of game will be garbage anyway. Not the mode most will want to play or stream.

Eusis

Atlus rubbing off after the acquisition
Sega was like this years before getting Atlus. More realistically either they infected Atlus or they both share that kind of mindset at least among the execs, and we've seen how Japanese companies can be weird control freaks with this stuff (Sugiyama music streaming in Dragon Quest games on PS4) so it's probably the latter more than anything else.

Jesus, don't pass on a Tetris game because of this. Moral grandstanding over this of all things is whack.

If anyone was legit going to watch a stream of this game for the story and not the gameplay, then man your life must be pretty sad if that was your launch Tuesday plans. lol

If i watch a stream of this, it will be to see how skilled the pros are and hopefully get some good tips. A story in this type of game will be garbage anyway. Not the mode most will want to play or stream.

If you want the game to do as well as possible, you should be similarly frustrated by Sega's streaming stance. I honestly cannot fathom why Japanese companies are so allergic to free fucking advertising

Link1110

Hmm... No used copies on Taobao :( I hope Herr Mullen was right and this is a Japanese only thing for this game.

Timeless

Someday someone won't fold to this bullshit and it will go to the Supreme Court. I heard from a fair use lawyer something interesting - fair use is "use it or lose it". Rap has more freedom for fair use because that's what the culture developed around. And the less a fair use culture is promoted, the less things that the community understands as fair use. The law, in its weird way, actually considers what the community considers when determining a fair use claim.

Aonuma

The demo on Switch is more than enough Puyo Puyo Tetris for me anyways, but now I'll for sure not think about getting the full version. You can see some logic when heavily story based games pull this crap, but for puzzle games this is ridiculous.

So it is actually Sega who gets more and more ridiculous?

Fuck this. I'm gonna stream what I want.
If those guys wanna content ID my videos, fine. But if they gonna take it down or file a copyright claim then fuck then. Hard.

Muzicfreq

Banned
1503132421037961795.jpg

S2

I think what's odd about the new streaming agreement is that it came out a month after the game got released on Switch... and 3 years after the game originally came out on all the other consoles. Story mode spoilers have been out in the open for a long time now. Maybe SEGA wants to protect overseas sales by preventing people from looking up a translation video of the story before the overseas versions even come out? Who knows...

In any case, I hope SEGA US finds a way to allow full story mode streaming for two reasons:
1) Letting people connect with the characters through the story mode is really important for the Puyo's success in the long-term. After 26 years, Japanese players have gotten super attached to the characters... enough to make them drop $300+ every month on Puyo Puyo Quest (the mobage).
2) The story mode is basically going to be everyone's introduction to Puyo Puyo since no one in the west knows what it is yet. Watching newbies overcome the challenging Puyo levels is something that definitely needs to be shared without blocked cutscenes breaking the immersion. Without the story mode to steadily train you, I can see how influential streamers might end up playing Tetris only and never giving Puyo Puyo a chance.

Unison

I don't mind games doing this... Streaming isn't a right.

That being said, I have the Japanese PS4 version from a year or two ago and it had similar pauses in PS4 native streaming during cut scenes. This isn't a new addition.

Squire

Banned
People need to start pushing back against this now before it becomes the standard.

It's never going to become the standard because most companies see the value of streaming as another arm of marketing. There's literally no risk whatsoever of this becoming common practice when 9 out of 10 of the biggest publishers openly court streamers to promote their games.

Sega is the outlier. The sales are theirs to lose if that's how they want it.

Edit: If it's actually a Tetris Corp. thing it's even more of an isolated incident.

Protome

I don't mind games doing this... Streaming isn't a right.

That being said, I have the Japanese PS4 version from a year or two ago and it had similar pauses in PS4 native streaming during cut scenes. This isn't a new addition.
Read the OP. That's not what this thread is about.

Fj0823

It's officially begun then, companies are now starting to fight back against streamers to try and re-claim "lost" sales, in their mind.

They need a new boogeyman since Piracy on console is rather low nowadays.

Blame Anything, just don't admit the game sucked.

I don't care, I buy games to play them not stream them while making stupid voices and noises for attention.

I played the demo, so I know it works fine.

Youtube's front page is a bloody mess of meme and attention seeking clickbait crap, a few games less of that shit is fine by me.

Serious recorders have the hardware anyways, but like any IP you need to abide by their copyrights and trademarks.

Imagine how some Indy Dev feels when his 2hr story based game gets streamed entirely so some jackass can get hits and ad revenue and then they get zero sales because everyone just watched it online instead of playing it themselves.

I mean I get it, there's piss all on television nowadays, but watching video games instead of playing them?? The hell people?! Not everyone with a webcam needs to have their 15 minutes of fame /rolls eyes

KyleCross

People need to start pushing back against this now before it becomes the standard.
Pointless. Companies already know it's bad PR to do this, it's why so many companies just let sharing happen even tho they have every legal right to stop it. Some companies however don't care about the negative PR it brings so they do it.

Eumi

Not this shit again.
How dare someone... not buy a game...?

Do you buy every game that comes out or something?

I am not liking this trend from Japan. Streaming and lets plays are slowly becoming a cornerstone of the industry (streaming especially) yet it seems that a lot of devs recently are trying their best to stop it. You'd hope someone would sit them down and explain the benefits but I guess they just have no idea. Or just don't care.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Good please no tetris spoilers.
I like to go in blind.
And not be spoiled online.

Wait whut?

KNT-Zero

I wonder what that watermark looks like.

I mean, you should already know you are watching a PPT video without that watermark...

How dare someone... not buy a game...?

Do you buy every game that comes out or something?

I am not liking this trend from Japan. Streaming and lets plays are slowly becoming a cornerstone of the industry (streaming especially) yet it seems that a lot of devs recently are trying their best to stop it. You'd hope someone would sit them down and explain the benefits but I guess they just have no idea. Or just don't care.

I was on about the part where the game is apparently "worth" a certain amount of money. Nothing to do with the topic at hand or if he's buying it or not. I edited the post.

Top Bottom