• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega imposes video and streaming restrictions on Puyo Puyo Tetris [Up: For Japan]

Yep. This has always been the case with my import copy of Puyo Puyo Tetris. If they preserve that stateside, this wouldn't be a new or shocking development.

L~A

That policy reminds me of Rockstar blocking cutscenes in LP for GTA4 (something they later allowed). Really silly.

Chinbo37

They need a new boogeyman since Piracy on console is rather low nowadays.

Blame Anything, just don't admit the game sucked.

This is a good point. I can see some middling executive believing that "our game was streamed in its entirety 10,000 times! If it wasn't for those streams we lost out on 10,000 sales!"

Aki-at

This is incredibly stupid from the same company that allowed streaming for a story heavy game like Yakuza but somehow Puyo's riveting story is so much more detailed and complicated that they don't want to ruin the heel turn Ringo does in the final act.

(Since the Western version of Yakuza allows share functions I'm sure Puyo Tetris will too... still dumb either way)

Joey Ravn

Banned
Considering the game has been out for more than two years in other platforms in Japan... it really makes zero sense to put streaming restrictions now.

I was on the fence about buying this on Switch already because they're asking like $50 for something realistically worth $15, but now there's no way I'll support it.

I've gotten a crapton more hours out of Picross 3D 2 than, say, Horizon (though I love Horizon). Saying that a puzzle game shouldn't cost more than $15 is a great disservice to the genre.

Considering the game has been out for more than two years in other platforms in Japan... it really makes zero sense to put streaming restrictions now.

I'm assuming these were always in place and are just now being brought up due to the US release/Persona 5 discussion. The page mentions all the releases of the game.

baconcow

I was on the fence about buying this on Switch already because they're asking like $50 for something realistically worth $15, but now there's no way I'll support it.

This game has a ton of gameplay modes and content, for a puzzle game of it's type. I have put well over 100 hours in this game and can say it is easily the best Tetris game I've played, just ahead of Tetris (GameBoy) and Tetris DS, two other games I have put hundreds of hours into. It is also my favourite Puyo Puyo iteration. This isn't some simple Virtual Console or arcade Ubisoft Tetris effort, here.

Aki-at

I feel like there was some young, forward-thinking exec who was part of Sega trying to shake things up in the past few years. He or She ended up either quitting or being fired and now the old guard is back in charge with old guard thoughts towards the internet.

You're probably thinking of Haruki Satomi, the CEO of Sega itself. The chap is still there, infact he's now the president of the whole company.

This would be a silly decision from the company considering they just released Yakuza without the same restrictions but as Sega have never really had unified company policy... It's hard to see where they'll go with this.

RRockman

Banned
You're probably thinking of Haruki Satomi, the CEO of Sega itself. The chap is still there, infact he's now the president of the whole company.

This would be a silly decision from the company considering they just released Yakuza without the same restrictions but as Sega have never really had unified company policy... It's hard to see where they'll go with this.

This is why I'm thinking it's the Tetris guys. They have proven their stupidity before with their licensing being the reason Ps4 is getting only the physical version of the game.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm assuming these were always in place and are just now being brought up due to the US release/Persona 5 discussion. The page mentions all the releases of the game.

Sure. But what I mean is that the game has already been widely showcased in the past. Giant Bomb, for example, has played it a lot in Unprofessional Fridays, which is free to all users when it airs live and exclusive for subscribers once archived. That wouldn't comply with rule 1, if I'm not mistaken. Though I don't think SEGA will retroactively try to block all those videos now.

emb

Jesus, don't pass on a Tetris game because of this. Moral grandstanding over this of all things is whack.

If anyone was legit going to watch a stream of this game for the story and not the gameplay, then man your life must be pretty sad if that was your launch Tuesday plans. lol

If i watch a stream of this, it will be to see how skilled the pros are and hopefully get some good tips. A story in this type of game will be garbage anyway. Not the mode most will want to play or stream.
I don't see myself ever watching a stream of this game, or steaming it. Restrictions or not. That's not the point though. I don't care about the existence of Puyo Puyo Tetris streams.

But the fact that game companies are able to do this is terrible. Any that do should get backlash in some way. The only reasonable protest I can think of is to not buy the game and to complain on forums. It's a small enough thing to not go too far out of the way for, but I think it's just enough to make me vote with my wallet.

Then again, apparently it's a long-standing Japanese thing that's done for lots of games? Maybe it's not worth worrying about at all. *shrug*

lollll

I love how people put this arbitrary number on a games worth...it makes no sense usually.

Toxi

Banned
It's been over 3 decades and Sega is still trying to copy Nintendo.
The sad part is Sega has made massive strides when it comes to fan videos/streams, and this feels like a regression to earlier times.
Japanese publishers really dislike youtuber/streamers it seems.
Which to me is strange. Like imagine the Dark Souls community without YouTube. Would be a hell of a lot smaller.

Hey guys, Sam Mullen here, producer working on SEGA's JP lineup and all that jazz.

As we all know, there's a lot of discussion about the do's and don'ts of streaming swirling around the web right now, and I wanted to step in and speak to Puyo Puyo Tetris (coming to PlayStation 4 and Switch on April 25th! ::car dealer wink::)

For the English version of Puyo Puyo Tetris, there are no scenes blocked, and nothing that you can't stream from either version of the game.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is a competitive game with a casual appeal, and we rely on you, the community, to get out the word on this title, and encourage you to share your experiences with you friends, families, and followers.

All we ask is that you share respectfully and responsibly, and please respect the rights of SEGA and its partners.

Hey guys, Sam Mullen here, producer working on SEGA's JP lineup and all that jazz.

As we all know, there's a lot of discussion about the do's and don'ts of streaming swirling around the web right now, and I wanted to step in and speak to Puyo Puyo Tetris (coming to PlayStation 4 and Switch on April 25th! ::car dealer wink::)

For the English version of Puyo Puyo Tetris, there are no scenes blocked, and nothing that you can't stream from either version of the game.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is a competitive game with a casual appeal, and we rely on you, the community, to get out the word on this title, and encourage you to share your experiences with you friends, families, and followers.

All we ask is that you share respectfully and responsibly, and please respect the rights of SEGA and its partners.

Thank you for the clarification! This should be added to the OP immediately.

TwistedSyn

That's great to hear! OP should be updated with this info.

Jazzem

That's awesome, thanks for clarifying :) (and thanks for bringing Puyo Tetris over!!)

Always good to see people involved in making and publishing the games post here. Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks! This game is worth every penny. Just because its a puzzle game that does not devalue it. Everyone has genres they like and dislike. Really looking forward to this!

TwistedSyn

Oh, and while I'm here...

Fight me bro.

Seriously though, I hope you all get the game and feel that it's worth the asking price. We put a lot of love into it!

I am definitely getting this game. My father and I played a ton of Doctor Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine back on the Sega Genesis. There is gonna be so much salt.

Eusis

They need a new boogeyman since Piracy on console is rather low nowadays.

Blame Anything, just don't admit the game sucked.
Hell, this is probably more like squeezing water from a stone. Persona 5 is amazing, Puyo Puyo Tetris is a damn sight better than Ubi Tetris by most accounts, and P5 at least is already doing damn well. This is control freak at worst, "how can we minimize ANY loss?" at best.

inner-G

Banned
Hell, this is probably more like squeezing water from a stone. Persona 5 is amazing, Puyo Puyo Tetris is a damn sight better than Ubi Tetris by most accounts, and P5 at least is already doing damn well. This is control freak at worst, "how can we minimize ANY loss?" at best.

That's why it seems shitty. Restrictions just for the sake of restrictions.

It's as if it was done out of malice towards customers, it's not like some small publisher trying to stop footage of a game coming out to 'hot mess' reviews or with bad graphics that need to be hidden. Someone watching a 100hr play through on YouTube can't be who you design your game's experience around.

Now that it's changed for the Western releases of Puyo-Pyuo Tetris, I don't feel like it is still an issue for this game, but sadly may be something SEGA/ATLUS try to continue with other title in the future.

Eusis

That's why it seems shitty. Restrictions just for the sake of restrictions.

It's as if it was done out of malice towards customers, it's not like some small publisher trying to stop footage of a game coming out to 'hot mess' reviews or with bad graphics that need to be hidden. Someone watching a 100hr play through on YouTube can't be who you design your game's experience around.

Now that it's changed for the Western releases of Puyo-Pyuo Tetris, I don't feel like it is still an issue for this game, but sadly may be something SEGA/ATLUS try to continue with other title in the future.
Atlus/SEGA USA probably fight as much as they can to stress that this stuff tends to piss people off outside of Japan (probably does in Japan too honestly) and are often more successful than not probably. Just with Persona 5 they put the foot down and went "no, this is our most valuable narrative driven game, and it's plenty popular over there. We're not allowing it."

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Nice this turned out ta be not true for the western release! Sucks for those in Japan/Asia however, so its not entirely all cool.

Given my performance in past Puyo stuff I'll never see the whole story mode on my own so its good I'll get ta see it all in some way!

Top Bottom