• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA looking for the right time to bring Yakuza spin-offs to the West

Kazza

In a recent interview with ‘Rocket Beans Gaming’, SEGA’s Senior Localization Producer Scott Strichart explained that SEGA America and Japan want to bring Yakuza spin-offs to the West but needs to find the right time:

“We’re interested in doing what Japan’s gonna do at this point. We absolutely recognize there are some holes in the backlog that we want to do and Japan wants us to do. It’s literally just a matter of finding space for them on the slate. Like you said there’s over saturation issues, do we stop doing new things to put out old things? Do we put out the old thing in the middle of working on the new thing? Then say please buy both? There’s definitely an issue there with over saturating the market. That’s where we’ve kinda landed on that unfortunately. As much as we all wanna do it we need to find the time and space.”

While there have been hints in the past, this is the clearest indication of intent yet. I can understand the oversaturation concern. PS4/5 are ok, but it's definitely an issue for platforms like Xbox and PC which are still catching up.

As well as Ishin and Kenzan, I hope they give Dead Souls another chance. It's an underrated game which will benefit hugely from a smooth framerate and resolution boost.

Bridges

Pretty reasonable excuse, and it's fantastic news that they want to do it. Hopefully the "right time" ends up being sooner than later.

Kazza

For Playstation, the deck is pretty much clear once Like a Dragon releases, whereas Xbox and PC still have 3/4/5/Judgment/FotNS still to come. I wonder if they will release on Playstation first, or will they try to stick to their recent strategy of releasing simultaneously on all platforms?

Boss Mog

Now would be the right time; people are on a Ghost of Tsushima high. Once next gen comes out it'll be a tougher sell.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Literally right now? Cash-in on Ghost of Tsushima samurai momentum and release that Kenzan and Ishin already.

Last edited:
Top Bottom