• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA looking into re-releasing Shemue & Shenmue II

wrowa

"exploring ways to re-release the original two Shenmue titles" might be just polite marketing speech for "we don't have any plans, but a non-binding positive statement sounds better".

Right now is literally the best time for Shenmue remasters. Do it Sega. You know it's the right thing to do. I want to experience them forklifts too.

If you're using this thread as market surveillance, Sega, I will day one this.

They've finally publically acknowledged Shenmue HD. Megaton!

image.php

It would be a smart move because I have no experience with either title so would never consider buying shenmue 3. May take a look if this happens.

Nyoro SF

I'm much more interested in the rest of the article because Sega Europe is most aligned with my interests right now. I am only shocked that they haven't done this already, years ago, but I'm sure there were circumstances.

I can never understand how is it that so many many people scream for Shenmue while almost non of them gives a crap about Yakuza which is in many ways a spiritual successor to what they want.

Krejlooc

Banned
Never played shenmue so Id love to play this game and have some meaning behind the soundtrack which ive been listening to since e3.

Sedge Tree

That song has no grander meaning, but the other theme song, at the end of Shenmue II, is revealed to be an ancient prophecy about (presumably) Ryo and Shenhua:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcfD33NkxMY

I can never understand how is it that so many many people scream for Shenmue while almost non of them gives a crap about Yakuza which is in many ways a spiritual successor to Shenmue.

People who call Yakuza a "spiritual successor" to Shenmue are like the people who claimed Mario Kart 8 was a spiritual successor to F-Zero. They don't get it, at all.

Endless

Here's the full article https://stevekaplanmarketing.wordpr...-on-the-transition-from-sonic-to-smartphones/

He does not specifically mention plans to re-release Shenmue 1/2 (¿?)

But for years their pleas were repeatedly ignored until earlier this year when Sega unexpectedly announced a $2m kickstarter campaign in order to get Shenmue 3 finally made. The hugely popular campaign ultimately raised over $6m and became the sixth most funded campaign in the crowdfunding website’s history.”

“Yes, we want to innovate and back smarthpones and virtual reality but our key purpose is to go back to what the brand used to stand for and I think the buzz around Shenmue 3 shows that’s the right strategy,” adds Rooke.

“Sega was an innovator, the Dreamcast was offering online gaming as early as 1998. But perhaps back then we were pushing boundaries a little too soon. Nowadays we know what we’re good at and the strategy is to be more gradual. Over the next few years, we want to use engaging content and marketing to remind the public why they fell in love with Sega in the first place.”

playXray

Outside of this article, it's surely inevitable that we'll get Shenmue I & II remastered for current gen. What are the main obstacles to this happening now? Are there any weird licensing issues?

ChaosXVI

Knew this had to be happening. There's absolutely no reason for them NOT to do it. If anything this will help more people become interested in Shenmue III, which I'm sure they'll see some slice of financially, whether directly or indirectly.

I was also under the impression that they were sitting on already completed ports of both games for Xbox 360 and PS3 and chose not to release them, but I don't know if that had ever been confirmed.

DavidDesu

When it comes to Shenmue re-releases... Do we want to see any improvements, for me I'm mostly really only thinking about character movement, which was pretty clunky even at the time?

What do other gaffers think, improve some elements of control or leave it all exactly as is?

Rymuth

I can never understand how is it that so many many people scream for Shenmue while almost non of them gives a crap about Yakuza which is in many ways a spiritual successor to what they want.
Speaking as someone who deeply loves both series, Shenmue has more of an epic feeling to it. While there are moment of humor, the game treats itself seriously (as evidenced by the OST)

Yakuza, being set in (mostly) one location, feels smaller in scale and though it has moments of drama, the game's not afraid to go full-on farcical.

That can be off-putting to some.

yakuza_4_revelation_xddd_part_10_by_kazumakiryu9-d59onym.gif

Anyway, this went on longer than I intended. Hope Y5 does good.

Megauap

Would love to play Shenmue 1 and 2 in HD as I never have played a Shenmue game before. Anyway, I already backed Shenmue 3 back on the day :)

Shenmue

Banned
No. Way. No Way No Way No Way!

I think you're discounting how many of us fans love BOTH.

Yakuza and Shenmue are both amazing series and neither should be ignored for the other.

Top Bottom