• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Loses Shenmue Trademark Because they Didn’t Bother Using it

Shenmue fans have been suffering and complaining due to the lack of any news of a return of the series, that has been left unfinished since 2001. Something surprising (or maybe not too surprising) has just happened: the trademark for “Shenmue” has recently been canceled in the United States by the Patent and Trademark Office because Sega hasn’t been using it.

The trademark page explains that the cancellation happened “because registrant did not file an acceptable declaration under Section 8.”

Section 8 of the Trademark Act, 15 U.S.C. §1058 is a regulation that requires a sworn declaration on the “continued use” of a trademark or “excusable nonuse,” to be provided between the 5th and 6th years and between the 9th and 10th years after the registration date. Since the trademark was registered in 2002, the second step wasn’t successfully completed.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/19/sega-loses-shenmue-trademark-due-to-lack-of-use/

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Looks like SEGA doesn't give a shit about Shenmue anymore. RIP.

Don't know why people thought they did. They didn't hint at it(SUMO likely chose Ryo of their own accord), they didn't gauge interest. They're done.

It's not SEGA's fault the fanbase can't move on.

sakipon

It must mean they're launching the next Ryo Hazuki game under a different title. Something more catchy might work.

But...how does that affect a company in Japan? If they wanted to put out another game (yeah right) I'm sure they could just trademark it again. I doubt trademark laws in the US affect anything at all. They still own the IP.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Someone buy it quick and make a Flappy Bird iOS clone out of it!

ЯAW

Banned
Didn't they just release Shenmue online game or are about to release it? I bet they they will go court over this decision.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
But...how does that affect a company in Japan? If they wanted to put out another game (yeah right) I'm sure they could just trademark it again. I doubt trademark laws in the US affect anything at all. They still own the IP.

It does affect whether a Japanese company has a monopoly on the use of the name for a product being marketed in the US. Someone else could market a game called Shenmue in the US now.

Well - that's assuming there's no provision in trademark law that would allow Sega first dibs on the name again if someone else tried to register it, because of their prior use. But I guess Sega would have to sign something that said they would actually use the mark again within a specified period. They can't tie up the name forever if they're not going to use it.

Recall

But how can something be dead if it was never really alive?

The dream of a third installment was very much alive within the Shenmue fan base. If you don't like Shenmue then that is your choice but for others it is a series that is well liked.

While I stopped hoping for Shenmue 3 close to a decade ago, I'm still surprised Sega didn't try rereleasing the two games any any point since then.

Wait, maybe I shouldn't be too surprised.

It does affect whether a Japanese company has a monopoly on the use of the name for a product being marketed in the US. Someone else could market a game called Shenmue in the US now.

Well - that's assuming there's no provision in trademark law that would allow Sega first dibs on the name again if someone else tried to register it, because of their prior use. But I guess Sega would have to sign something that said they would actually use the mark again within a specified period. They can't tie up the name forever if they're not going to use it.
That makes total sense, and I agree, I'm just saying this doesn't mean "OMG Sega doesn't own Shenmue anymore!" in case anyone was thinking that.

The dream of a third installment was very much alive within the Shenmue fan base. If you don't like Shenmue then that is your choice but for others it is a series that is well liked.

It's not about liking it or not it's about reality. The series hasn't been 'alive' for going on 10+ years.

Caj814

4jJcWkr.gif

I don't think I can handle anymore of this. It's always a glimmer of hope and then deep despair.

Does it matter? I mean sure people want finality to the story but in terms of game play couldn't they make something just like it? Yakuza series is a step in that direction.

Yawnier

Banned
What a wonderful world we live in, with over a million Flappy Bird clones on the app store and no sign of a Shenmue sequel in sight. ughhhhhhhhh.

I'll register the trademark, own the IP and write official canon
fan-
fiction that ships Ryo with the hot kung-fu chick from the second game ('cos she was the best one), I'll finish the saga and everyone will be satisfied.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
While I stopped hoping for Shenmue 3 close to a decade ago, I'm still surprised Sega didn't try rereleasing the two games any any point since then.

Wait, maybe I shouldn't be too surprised.

There were some damn heavy rumours of Shenmue HD and Skies of Arcadia HD to follow Jet Set Radio HD. Whether JSR didn't sell well enough or this is typical modern Sega money problems cancelling dev (Anarchy Reigns year delay due to not being able to afford disc printing, Typing Of The Dead guys working out of a flat, etc) so they can't even get ports of their DC catalogue out, who knows.

Give the mark to Suzuki. Let him have it all, Sega.

Coxy

pft, a likely cover story for them handing the IP over to sony who are funding its development now

seriously though this is odd because they HAVE released shenmue products recently, a figure and a forklift truck model

Top Bottom