• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA making improvements to Dreamcast Collection games on Steam, achievements added

TimmiT

Hi all,

You may have noticed some new things crop up in our existing Dreamcast collection on Steam, such as achievements. Currently this content isn’t accessible but it’s part of an initiative from SEGA over the next few months which is going to improve the player experience for these titles. We don’t have an exact date for these improvements just yet but please bear with us, we’ll keep you posted with more information just as soon as we’re able to.

Thanks for your patience.

SEGA
http://steamcommunity.com/app/71250/discussions/0/34093781657096473/

The Dreamcast Collection games being Sonic Adventure DX, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5 Part 2 and SEGA Bass Fishing. Sonic Adventure in particular has some pretty bad problems like borders around the game, no mod support and it being a port of the XBLA version, which was a port of an older PC version, which was a port of the Gamecube version, which was an improved port of the Dreamcast version. Also the Steam version of Crazy Taxi doesn't have Bad Religion.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/71250/discussions/0/34093781657096473/

The Dreamcast Collection games being Sonic Adventure DX, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5 Part 2 and SEGA Bass Fishing. Sonic Adventure in particular has some pretty bad problems like borders around the game, no mod support and it being a port of the XBLA version, which was a port of an older PC version, which was a port of the Gamecube version, which was an improved port of the Dreamcast version. Also the Steam version of Crazy Taxi doesn't have Bad Religion.

Literally came in here hoping that fixing the soundtrack was part of the improvements.

tsab

Nice. Let's hope they bring Shenmue :)

Sonic Adventure in particular has some pretty bad problems like borders around the game, no mod support and it being a port of the XBLA version, which was a port of an older PC version, which was a port of the Gamecube version, which was an improved port of the Dreamcast version

Portception!! This hurt my brain

SerTapTap

Good on 'em to bring the ports up to a better standard. I shoulda got that Sonic collection thing on humble when it was cheap. May as well own SA 2 for PC in addition to Dreamcast, Gamecube and PSN.

The Sonic Adventure DX is nearly unplayable. I had to Google for what felt like days just to get the game to run and even afterwards it looked hideous,

Achievements for Space Channel 5...

qV2jb.gif

I would never expect it, thought they were just gunna leave the collection alone and never update/ touch them again. This is very exciting!

rjc571

Banned
They already have a 60 fps animation system in place for JSRF, sure it would take some engine rewriting to allow JSR to use faster animations but lets not act like it's impossible. After all, Nintendo was able to rewrite the animation system for Ocarina of Time to allow it to run at 30 fps on the 3DS, when it was originally hard-wired to run at 20 on the N64.

MetalSlug

1. I hope that they fix Sonic Adventure to an acceptable level.

2. I hope that Crazy Taxi gets it's original soundtrack put back in. I'll then buy it.

EDIT: I still hope that Toy Commander will get a port some day.

Zabi

Banned
This is great news. I hadn't gotten any of those ports because I read at the Steam forums how shoddy they are.

TimmiT

Sonic Adventure DX has been updated. Now there are more resolution options along with FXAA and V-sync. Also achievements have been added. No widescreen though.

Pretty decent of them. While they're at it, maybe they could put some guys to port Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Illbleed and some of the other missing Dreamcast exclusives?

Spaghetti

probably gearing up for another round of the higher standard 'sega heritage' ports and want to clean up the mess left by their initial dreamcast offerings pre-jet set radio.

Bluth54

Very cool they're doing that, I always love to see companies add more Steamworks features.

I also hope they bring Skies of Arcadia Legends (with the higher quality music from the Dreamcast version).

gelf

probably gearing up for another round of the higher standard 'sega heritage' ports and want to clean up the mess left by their initial dreamcast offerings pre-jet set radio.

I really hope thats the case otherwise I can't see why they would even bother at this point. Their not going to attract many extra sales so long after release.

I'd hope for Sega Xbox classics more then anything as theres no way to emulate those at all yet. I want PC Panzer Dragoon Orta.

TimmiT

The other Dreamcast Collection games have been updated as well. Changelog for Sonic Adventure DX:
- Fixed an issue where the launcher would fail to save settings.

- Added support for v-sync and FXAA.

- Now renders correctly at higher resolutions (above 720).

- Added Steam Achievements.

- Improved button prompts—now supports gamepad button prompts, and keyboard prompts are sensitive to user configurations.

- Keyboard controls can now be reconfigured.

- Removed horizontal borders.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/71250/announcements/detail/207486173561988372

Changelog for Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5: Part 2 and SEGA Bass Fishing is almost the same:
- Fixed an issue where the launcher would fail to save settings.

- Added support for v-sync and FXAA.

- Now renders correctly at higher resolutions (above 720).

- Added Steam Achievements.

- Improved button prompts—now supports gamepad button prompts, and keyboard prompts are sensitive to user configurations.

- Keyboard controls can now be reconfigured.

- Implemented gamepad support across the game and launcher
http://steamcommunity.com/games/71260/announcements/detail/242389400794435258
http://steamcommunity.com/games/71230/announcements/detail/166953776886493542
http://steamcommunity.com/games/71240/announcements/detail/130924979973179587

Crub

Time to replay Sonic Adventure DX!

Edit: I find the framerate to be slightly unstable still, but it's very playable and certainly a great imporvement over the last version.

Joezie

Found this post over at Sonic Retro.
sadxsteamfolders_zpsa2b43b6f.png

Link

Sega may be quite a bit more serious than previously thought?

Edit: Post is from today, but the files are obviously over a month old now.

Top Bottom