• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Mania Magazine has closed down...

Have any of you people heard of Sega Mania? They're a UK based retro gaming magazine that covers Sega. I just found out that they've closed down...

Hi <<First Name>>,

This evening I have made the incredibly difficult decision to bring Sega Mania Magazine to an end. It has been an incredible 18 months, but a multitude of factors have prompted me not to continue.

All outstanding preorders and subscriptions have been refunded, however, it may take up to 5 working days for this payment to come through to you. For those of you who paid via PayPal over 6 months ago, you have been sent a manual payment just due to how PayPal & Shopify works.

If you think you have been missed out or something is not correct, please email me at shop@sega-mania.com and I will fix it.

I want to thank each and every one of you who has supported us. It has been a wild ride and despite the occasional ups and downs, an incredible experience we will never forget. We never could have gotten this far without you and we owe you all our eternal gratitude.

I also want to thank Sam, Simon, Rob, Steve, Alex, David and Tom for their incredible work and personal sacrifice. Nobody who worked on Sega Mania was ever paid for the work they did. Every penny we made was sunk straight back into the project to keep it going, it truly was a passion project crafted with love. I owe them so much for helping turn my mad ideas into reality and bringing new ideas such as the podcast into the mix. They are some of the finest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and I ask you to applaud them for the insanely good content they produced across our 7 issues.

Don't forget that you can still tune into Alex and David on the A Winner Is You Podcast, read Simon's musings on SimFiction.co.uk and be spooked by Rob on his How Haunted? Podcast.

It may be the end of Sega Mania but not the end of us. With such an incredible pool of talent at our finger tips, it would be mad for us to not to try something a little different in future. We don't know if we will yet and if we do, what it may be, but we'll be sure to let you know if we figure it out.

Take care and stay safe.

Tim.

I don't know the exact reason as to why Sega Mania closed, but I can speculate that the cost of running such an enterprise would surely have been a major factor.

It's truly sad that print magazines have gone the way they have.

Do you think print based magazines can ever make a comeback in terms of popularity? Maybe even like vinyl?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Sad for the guys who put so much effort in, but I'm always surprised when new magazines appear, I'm not sure anyone would advise getting into a market that I assume is in an industry wide decline.

I grew up with magazines and still like the idea of them but the internet has undeniably changed perception of the value of journalists' work. I imagine getting people to buy a magazine is quite hard work now.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Sad for the guys who put so much effort in, but I'm always surprised when new magazines appear, I'm not sure anyone would advise getting into a market that's I assume is in an industry wide decline.

I grew up with magazines and still like the idea of them but the internet has undeniably changed perception of the value of journalists' work. I imagine getting people to buy a magazine is quite hard work now.
No VAT on books magazines in UK

Sad, but at least we still have the amazing SEGA Powered to read and is a must for any SEGA Fans

https://www.segapowered.com/

qfIs0ba.jpg

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Sad for the guys who put so much effort in, but I'm always surprised when new magazines appear, I'm not sure anyone would advise getting into a market that I assume is in an industry wide decline.
Yes, doing a magazine nowadays is a bit like trying to find work as a lamplighter.

I can appreciate that someone really wanted to follow a dream, but business-wise that's just a terrible idea.

I dunno, full credit for them doing something they believe in, but there is something so sad about publications celebrating nostalgia.

You ever seen those 'It's_the_90s_guy!' type instagram accounts where some lonely 40 year old who can't get over it no longer being 1996 posts pics of the latest rotting plastic tat he's picked up from some divorcee at a car boot sale? Bad energy.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I had a digital Nintendo magazine for a while and I quit after a year because in magazines all the news is old now.

The only way to differentiate are with interviews and insider tours. That is almost impossible to maintain.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I love enthusiast magazines based on retro gaming, but it is a very niche market. I would also suggest looking into retro gamer. They are a great retro general focused magazine.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Yeah RG is probably the best thing to come from Future publishing at the minute.

Edge and Play are awful.

Top Bottom