• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega of Japan wants to know which game you wish to see revived

space channel 5 is dead and i will cry

Monkey's paw?

Also it's crazy how perfect a fit Panzer Dragoon is for VR. Its core concept of 360 vision would make you think it was originally made for VR.

And I'm not sure what the Monkey Ball posts are on about, that franchise is still alive relative to so many others. Banana Splitz was a good return to form after 3D.

Zubz

Banned
Hey yo, where's Eternal Champi-

250px-MrBone_frontcover.jpg
250px-MrBone_frontcover.jpg

Holy shit, I thought this was 3rd Party. Double checking Wikipedia, it was made "for" SEGA, which is very unclear. Apparently, Mr. Bones is either owned by SEGA, some dead company, or Rockstar. If the former, then SEGA needs to re-evaluate what they're doing and make another Mr. Bones.

EDIT: I feel kinda bad I couldn't work in JSR, but weren't Beat & Gum in that rumored mobile game? Meanwhile, I don't think Eternal Champions is coming back without a push, and I really, really want Streets of Rage back after playing Remake. And of course, I couldn't lie and say Bayonetta wasn't my favorite SEGA character.

IrishNinja

DONE

here's to panzer & alex kidd, with nods to streets of rage & phantasy star at the end

really wanted to nominate joe musashi but i grew up on alex kidd!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Phantasy Star Online
Bayonetta
Vanquish (Not on the list. But still)

squall23

How does one "revive" Border Break when it's an arcade game that still brings in relatively good playtime and profit?

PC VERSION PLEASE?!

Results from the stream:

Most hoped revival:
1. Sakura Wars (2457)
2. Jet Set Radio (1485)
3. Virtual On (729)
4. Shenmue (727)
5. Virtua Fighter (581)
6. Panzer Dragoon (538)
7. Shining Force (518)
8. Skies of Arcadia (483)
9. Streets of Rage (437)
10. NiGHTS into dreams... (261)

Brand you're most invested in:
1. Sakura Wars (1843)
2. Sonic the Hedgehog (1284)
3. Phantasy Star Online (1155)
4. Virtua Fighter (991)
5. Jet Set Radio (913)
6. Yakuza (878)
7. Panzer Dragoon (873)
8. Sega Saturn (658)
9. Persona (636)
10. Hatsune Miku Project Diva (614)

Favorite character:
1. Segata Sanshiro (1840)
2. Kazuma Kiryu (1521)
3. Ryo Hazuki (1446)
4. Bayonetta (1375)
5. NiGHTS (850)
6. Dr. Eggman (651)
7. Temjin (591)
8. Arle (577)
9. Alex Kidd (576)
10. Ulala (492)

Fou-Lu

Wish Shining Force was higher on that poll. Actually it was a write in wasn't it? If so, that's actually damn good.

batfax

Hello darkness my old friend.

Considering Arcadia wasn't mentioned anywhere else in the poll, I think that's pretty good. After seeing all those other neglected series (who dominated the positions above it) enough people held on to Eternal Arcadia to to make the top 10 even though it wasn't considered in the rest of the poll.

Classic Shining Force is also a great thing to see, since even in that big Shining Series crossover fighter the ORIGINAL GAMES were neglected. A hugely spiteful move to the old fanbase. Fingers crossed for Jet Set Radio Future HD being considered more seriously now too.

Classic Shining Force is also a great thing to see, since even in that big Shining Series crossover fighter the ORIGINAL GAMES were neglected. A hugely spiteful move to the old fanbase.

To be fair, the Shining Force games were not the original Shining games, either way. Shining in the Darkness was the first installment of the series, which was a dungeon crawler. Also, the Shining series fighting game only had people from like 2 recent Shining games right? Hearts and Blade I believe. So the roster is missing a lot of characters, even ones from the games that got an anime (Tears and Wind).

This was pretty cool of Sega to do as it gives me hope for a few things to happen.

However, it is I annoying that Shenmue was wasted on that poll. Though I have to imagine they have been working on Shenmue I and II HD updates.

Also, Nights had a revival and an HD update.

Still can't believe we don't have any of the Panzer Dragoon games on XBLA/PSN.

Still want a Daytona USA 2 HD port as well!

ranmafan

Guess I'm just terribly out of touch with this shit.

Yeah at one time it was insanely huge and one of the biggest franchises of its time. For example when I was here in Japan the first time 15 years ago, the series was starting to slowly fade but even then there were tons of anime for it, live theater/concert shows and performances by the voice actors in costume (I went to one and it was fantastic), a nice big store for sakura taisen in ikebuko that I went to many times (sadly long gone), and tons of games. But alas the series had run its course by the time sakura taisen v came out. Plus the changes to characters in that game probably didn't help.

But it was insanely huge for a time and it really deserves a comeback. There was a ds game a few years ago but no one seemed to buy it. Other than that there have been the occasional pachislot games. But if they brought it back I think I would be even more happier for that than I was for shenmues return. Heck I'm still bummed we never got that prequel sakura taisen game "kouma" which was announced way back in 2002 at a big sakura taisen announcement event. That game sounded so awesome. Shame as we got pretty much everything else announced at the event that that one was announced, and they announced like 10 or so game, anime, and stage show things at that event. Yet we never heard another word about that game after that day.

Great to see it won the poll. I do hope the series comes back. I just hope they can replicate the style of the first games the most if they ever do bring it back. Those first two games, and 3 as well, are incredable classics!

batfax

To be fair, the Shining Force games were not the original Shining games, either way. Shining in the Darkness was the first installment of the series, which was a dungeon crawler. Also, the Shining series fighting game only had people from like 2 recent Shining games right? Hearts and Blade I believe. So the roster is missing a lot of characters, even ones from the games that got an anime (Tears and Wind).

I'm aware of Shining in the Darkness. I feel it should've gotten something too. I'm probably just overly harsh on the modern Shining series based on how the current team treats the older games/fans in the past so pay me no mind.

However, it is I annoying that Shenmue was wasted on that poll. Though I have to imagine they have been working on Shenmue I and II HD updates.

Though most people obviously think just "new games/remasters" with this poll, I can imagine a lot of people are hoping for merchandising too. If this poll makes SEGA want to do a Ryo Hazuki and/or Segata Sanshiro Figuarts or Figma or whatever that'd be amazing. Especially since Kiryu is getting one this December and they announced an Ulala Figma over the Summer.

Yeah at one time it was insanely huge and one of the biggest franchises of its time. For example when I was here in Japan the first time 15 years ago, the series was starting to slowly fade but even then there were tons of anime for it, live theater/concert shows and performances by the voice actors in costume (I went to one and it was fantastic), a nice big store for sakura taisen in ikebuko that I went to many times (sadly long gone), and tons of games. But alas the series had run its course by the time sakura taisen v came out. Plus the changes to characters in that game probably didn't help.

But it was insanely huge for a time and it really deserves a comeback. There was a ds game a few years ago but no one seemed to buy it. Other than that there have been the occasional pachislot games. But if they brought it back I think I would be even more happier for that than I was for shenmues return. Heck I'm still bummed we never got that prequel sakura taisen game "kouma" which was announced way back in 2002 at a big sakura taisen announcement event. That game sounded so awesome. Shame as we got pretty much everything else announced at the event that that one was announced, and they announced like 10 or so game, anime, and stage show things at that event. Yet we never heard another word about that game after that day.

Great to see it won the poll. I do hope the series comes back. I just hope they can replicate the style of the first games the most if they ever do bring it back. Those first two games, and 3 as well, are incredable classics!

I think what makes Sakura Taisen successful iis its bizarre theme. Sega and Red managed to incorporate Taisho era + Takarazuka Revue + Mecha + Dating Sim + Episodic structure like anime into this truly unique series, so unique that there is nothing similar to it. As you have mentioned, the games' quality is also very high that some of them are classics in the SRPG genre. IMO, Sakura Taisen 3 is one of the best games created by Japanese, so I hope that Sega revives the series or re-makes the first four games so that relatively young gamers can appreciate it.

Top Bottom