• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Just as a reminder.

5cYjkIG.jpg

Yakuza 0 is the only "Console Exclusive" game that has yet to come to PC, and I find pretty obvious it is coming after some time exclusivity and it was planned from the first day. Just as KoFXIV.
just a reminder

https://twitter.com/johnlhardin/status/816339149879799814

console exclusive labeling was a Sony decision, not sega.

Pachael

Sony paid Nioh's marketing and distribution so it will probably take some time.

I'll say Yakuza has a foot in that boat too especially since they helped do Y5 localisation.

I thought Yakuza localisation was dead long before that, but Sony helped bring it back to prominence.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
He says he don't know why the label is on the box, so he may also not know about any plans of releasing the game on PC if it is entirely handled by Sega Europe(he was Sega USA PR at that moment).

Look man, I know you want to be optimistic but don't twist this tweet into something it isn't.

"That's a Sony thing"

Where's mah Sonic Heroes SEGA?

???

It already has a PC port and with a couple of fan patches it works fairly well, from Shadow to Sonic Colors are the Sonic games missing and beyond the possibility of fans fixing these games there's no real need for a port for most of them

I can't believe that this thread started 3 years ago and already two out of the tree games in the title have been ported to PC. Way to go Sega!

Virtua Fighter 5 would be hat trick.

Also, while I am at it... I still want to see Taxman's Sonic 1 and 2 ports on PC (and console as well, I suppose).

StereoVsn

Man, Sega takes just forever with their PC ports. They have one series that would sell extremely well on PC, Persona, and another series that at least should do as well as PS4, Yakuza. Yet we probably won't see Persona or SMT on PC any time soon.

Yakuza 0 is a maybe but I don't see it this year.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Man, Sega takes just forever with their PC ports. They have one series that would sell extremely well on PC, Persona, and another series that at least should do as well as PS4, Yakuza. Yet we probably won't see Persona or SMT on PC any time soon.

Yakuza 0 is a maybe but I don't see it this year.

They do take a while, but at the very least they're very good ports, though. worththewait.jpg

Fiendcode

Yakuza ports would be smart, PC could really open things up for the franchise in Asia and the west.

Personally though I'm still focused on arcade stuff. Still want VF5FS, VOOT, ABC, SMB DX and they need bring back Outrun C2C. Thrilled we finally got Rez even if not from Sega themselves.

BasilZero

???

It already has a PC port and with a couple of fan patches it works fairly well, from Shadow to Sonic Colors are the Sonic games missing and beyond the possibility of fans fixing these games there's no real need for a port for most of them

Not on Steam though :(

Or readily available as digital anywhere else.

Vibranium

Banned
Vanquish's sales shouldn't be suprising considering that it doesn't have the fan following that Bayonetta has, and it never had a sequel. It also has way less content.

Yakuza 0 and Persona 5 would do really well in comparison I think.

Sentenza

Only 80k?? Are you serious?

Vanquish was literally cried out for by PC fans even moreso than Bayonetta was. .
Honestly? Just on NeoGAF.
Still, we'll see in the long run.
I don't think anyone reasonable should expect millionaire sales for ports that come years later.

Count me in if Sega ever drops Persona, Yakuza, and Virtua Fighter on PC. I appreciate the fact that more Japanese games are making the jump to PC, though I keep getting my hopes up for a new announcement every time I see this thread bumped

Diabolical

Neo Member
Yakuza ports would be smart, PC could really open things up for the franchise in Asia and the west.

Personally though I'm still focused on arcade stuff. Still want VF5FS, VOOT, ABC, SMB DX and they need bring back Outrun C2C. Thrilled we finally got Rez even if not from Sega themselves.

Agreed regarding the Yakuza potential -- if only they could make it happen.

Something like the Project Diva (Hatsune Miku) series has a great chance to do very well too. There's a large segment of PC fans who would gravitate towards that. We already know Shenmue is being worked on based on recent interviews. I'd imagine some of the licensing is what's causing them to encounter some roadblocks along the way. We need to just have patience.

Going for something like a Valkyria Revolution port "might" be smart from a business perspective. The Valkyria series has an established fanbase on PC now. And I strongly want to reiterate that a port of Resonance of Fate would be a hit, almost like VC1 was. Put Little Stone Software on Resonance of Fate next, SEGA. Little Stone handling RoF is straightforward, easy money. Single player games with RPG elements have proved to be the way to go.

EDIT: Continuing the Valkyria series on PC is probably a good move, just not necessarily with Revolution.

celsowmbr

Banned
No word on Anarchy Reigns yet?

it's never coming

Sometimes I think that Sega is avoiding to port Online Multiplayer games like Anarchy Reigns and even Virtua Fighter 2 HD or Virtua Fighter 5 FS.

Maybe it's the server cost or something like that... Maybe...

Diabolical

Neo Member
Honestly? Just on NeoGAF.
Still, we'll see in the long run.
I don't think anyone reasonable should expect millionaire sales for ports that come years later.

No, not "millionaire sales" -- no one has ever suggested that at all. Some are just surprised to find out Vanquish is just sitting at ~80k after almost three months... after so much outcry and hype for a port.

Bayonetta is at around ~240k (according to SteamSpy) and Vanquish also had a nice two-week preorder bonus attached to it (directly tied to Bayonetta ownership). During that time, SEGA was selling the game with the discount to people who didn't even technically own Bayonetta yet.

SEGA did very well hyping the Vanquish PC release and they deserve credit for that... so that's why it kinda baffles me to see it sitting at ~150k below Bayonetta (instead of somewhere around half of that figure).

Sometimes I think that Sega is avoiding to port Online Multiplayer games like Anarchy Reigns and even Virtua Fighter 2 HD or Virtua Fighter 5 FS.

Maybe it's the server cost or something like that... Maybe...

Not necessarily true in the case of Virtua Fighter 5 FS. I think that one might happen. A VF5: FS port would be a straightforward job and it would not need a HEFTY degree of rebalancing, reworking, or post-release patchwork. It's a traditional 1v1 fighter, therefore the online performance situation should be far less problematic. Naturally, this also applies to VF2.

Going for something like a Valkyria Revolution port would be smart. The Valkyria series has an established fanbase on PC now. And I strongly want to reiterate that a port of Resonance of Fate would be a hit, almost like VC1 was. Put Little Stone Software on either of those two next, SEGA. Little Stone handling another Valkyria port or RoF is straightforward, easy money.

X2XcNvX.gif

Diabolical

Neo Member

Hmm... perhaps I should've mentioned something 'Valkyria related' instead then. Haha!

Please accept my sincerest apology though. Revolution has indeed been met with some indifference compared to Chronicles. I definitely understand your sentiments, but the Valkyria series continuing on PC makes sense following the success of VC1. Just... perhaps not with Revolution, I guess. ._.

Hmm... perhaps I should've mentioned something 'Valkyria related' instead then. Haha!

Please accept my sincerest apology though. Revolution has indeed been met with some indifference compared to Chronicles. I definitely understand your sentiments, but the Valkyria continuing on PC makes sense. Just... perhaps not Revolution. ._.

Revolution criticism isn't about it being different.

It's that it's... Bad. "Valkyria '06"-moniker bad.

Diabolical

Neo Member
Revolution criticism isn't about it being different.

It's that it's... Bad. "Valkyria '06"-moniker bad.

Yikes!

Do you know what the commercial reception has been like on consoles thus far?

EDIT: Never mind. Found some info. Either way if a game's console reception was either lukewarm or poor, then SEGA shouldn't prioritize it. Going after straightforward, critically acclaimed fan favorites is probably the best route for them to take, but it's their call.

Yikes!

Do you know what the commercial reception has been like on consoles this far?

Bomba in Japan, presumably bomba in the west as well as the only pre-release marketing it got was a release-date post hidden deep away on PlayStation Blog two weeks before release. No trailers, no tweets, release-day review embargo.

Sega of America/Atlus from what it seems would like to pretend that it doesn't exist, and only put it out because it would bring back memories of PSO2 if they cancelled the localization or indefinitely delayed it.

It's a very similar situation to Akiba's Beat where it got signed on for a localization on the prestige of its predecessor(s), before the verdict was out on the game in Japan.

And honestly, there was so much writing on the wall about it from that final TGS 2016 stage demo where they kept having "technical difficulties" with the video-feed every time something inconvenient for the game's impressions started to show.

Diabolical

Neo Member
Bomba in Japan, presumably bomba in the west as well as the only pre-release marketing it got was a release-date post hidden deep away on PlayStation Blog two weeks before release. No trailers, no tweets, release-day review embargo.

Sega of America/Atlus from what it seems would like to pretend that it doesn't exist, and only put it out because it would bring back memories of PSO2 if they cancelled the localization or indefinitely delayed it.

It's a very similar situation to Akiba's Beat where it got signed on for a localization on the prestige of its predecessor(s), before the verdict was out on the game in Japan.

And honestly, there was so much writing on the wall about it from that final TGS 2016 stage demo where they kept having "technical difficulties" with the video-feed every time something inconvenient for the game's impressions started to show.

Ah, I see. Thank you.

SEGA's efforts would definitely be better spent on games that were both critical and commercial hits on console (whenever possible) when priortizing for PC projects. More often than not, it just takes a "common sense" approach.

A company can't just dump any cold leftovers onto our laps and think we'll just heat it up and eat it. So far, SEGA (in particular) has been on a roll this year. All we have to do is be patient with them.

Diabolical

Neo Member
Vanquish's sales shouldn't be suprising considering that it doesn't have the fan following that Bayonetta has, and it never had a sequel.

And yet it had as much, if not even more, visceral fan outcry for it at every turn... despite both of those factors. No offense intended, but this is indeed a surprise. I've just had a few other discussions with several others (elsewhere online) who were asking me to provide proof that it hadn't even hit 100k yet. It's not just me. All I did was cite this topic and SteamSpy for reference, so they could take it from there. SteamSpy does not give 'definitive' data (as it fluctuates), but it has been widely accepted to be somewhere in the ballpark when it comes to overall accuracy.

We genuinely thought this one would be in the ~150k+ ballpark by now. Still profitable, more than likely, of course... but it definitely deserved better considering SEGA's efforts with it. I commend them wholeheartedly.

It also has way less content.

Has nothing to do with the perceived demand for the game being on PC from shooter/action fans. Plus the "content" and replay value lies within the gameplay system itself. On the surface, almost anyone going in unfamiliar with the game (i.e. people who jumped in on the massive hype alone) wouldn't have even been privy to any of this -- whichever way the content situation ended up being viewed. In summation, I don't think the "content" point holds up here.

Yakuza 0 and Persona 5 would do really well in comparison I think.

Indeed! If only one of them (or both) could get the greenlight soon... *sigh*

Either one of those should do quite well, especially considering their more recently proven successes as franchises.

ezodagrom

And yet it had as much, if not even more, visceral fan outcry for it at every turn... despite both of those factors. No offense intended, but this is indeed a surprise. I've just had a few other discussions with several others (elsewhere online) who were asking me to provide proof that it hadn't even hit 100k yet. It's not just me. All I did was cite this topic and SteamSpy for reference, so they could take it from there. SteamSpy does not give 'definitive' data (as it fluctuates), but it has been widely accepted to be somewhere in the ballpark when it comes to overall accuracy.

We genuinely thought this one would be in the ~150k+ ballpark by now. Still profitable, more than likely, of course... but it definitely deserved better considering SEGA efforts with it. I commend them wholeheartedly.
There were too many notable releases around the time Vanquish released, more so than when Bayonetta released, with the likes of Tekken 7, Black Desert Online (Steam), Rising Storm 2, Friday the 13th and even a few weeks before
there was Prey too.

SEGA didn't have much choice though, any later they would have been too close to the summer sale (if it wasn't already too close).

Diabolical

Neo Member
At this point, the anticipation for what SEGA is doing next is palpable. According to the petition, it should theoretically be Virtua Fighter's turn up at the plate (and rightly so). However, I'm certain that a Yakuza and/or Persona title of any sort wouldn't be met with mediocrity at all either.

Just lay it on us, SEGA. :)

Please accept my sincerest apology though. Revolution has indeed been met with some indifference compared to Chronicles. I definitely understand your sentiments, but the Valkyria series continuing on PC makes sense following the success of VC1. Just... perhaps not with Revolution, I guess. ._.

I dunno if I'd say indifference going by how its price plummeted lol. That game is like 15 bucks already. EDIT: A little late on this rip

I agree with Resonance of Fate being a very good option, and possibly the best for an RPG (Skies/Atlus excluded) at the moment since I can't see them porting just VC3 without VC2.

VirtuaIceMan

Neo Member
According to SteamDB, "SteamDB Unknown App 272110 (Little Stone Sega Test App 5)" was worked on 3 months ago.

I remember when Sega dropped Typing of the Dead Overkill onto PC unnanounced. I still hope for House of the Dead 4...

...and After Burner Climax, Virtua Fighter 5, etc.

Top Bottom