• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

Grief.exe

so let me ask again, why is the only game that in fact needs attention (unlocalized yakuza 5) not on the list and we are asking sega to waste resources on games that have no issues and are even more console oriented ?

Sega is not even willing to allocate the huge cost of localizing the game. Porting an already existing game to PC is relatively cheap due to the low human resources required.

Do we all want Yakuza 5 localized and distributed in the US? Of course! Not very realistic though.

XSEED has some great blog posts on the actual costs of localization. The investment and time commitment are actually quite astronomical.

I'll make sure to do that.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
Even as a huge Yakuza fan it's not hard to see that Bayonetta and Vanquish on PC would actually sell. Yakuza barely even sells to the console audience in the West and that makes me very sad.

Yeah but I was thinking of the exact same thing, it's sad Yakuza is not doing well in the west and it could use a broader audience and it's far less console oriented. Sleeping Dogs, genre-wise a very distant relative I must admit but theme wise a lot closer, did well on the PC. On the other hand it is actually kinda hard to see Bayo and Vanquish doing well, they are completely designed around the controller and Binary Domain should serve as an example sales wise.

I know localizing is far more expensive but this is just a blind port begging. We are talking about games that are already perfect on consoles and leaving out the one that matters.

XD

But I did.

Yeah he has called me out on it again. Fun fact: I am the only one who has played the games in question.

The Platinum games are on there because they just ported one of their games over to PC and that means that most of the hard work of getting their engine working on the PC end has already been done. I'm assuming the other games listed are due to popular demand.

Sure but that was a Konami game part of a huge franchise.

Peff

So your example of a game that doesn't suit the fabled PC audience is... a third-person shooter... made by the Yakuza team. I'm not so sure the fifth entry of a heavily serialized franchise whose developers have no PC experience would make back the cost of porting the games (because of course they couldn't just cut Taiko no Tatsujin and Virtua Fighter 2 from the arcades), localising the huge amount of text and taking time away from the next game for the territory where the series is actually successful in. If they can't even be bothered to slap an already existing translation to release Yakuza 1+2 HD in the west, what could possibly compel them to go through with the more expensive project?

dani_dc

Yeah but I was thinking of the exact same thing, it's sad Yakuza is not doing well in the west and it could use a broader audience and it's far less console oriented. Sleeping Dogs, genre-wise a very distant relative I must admit but theme wise a lot closer, did well on the PC. On the other hand it is actually kinda hard to see Bayo and Vanquish doing well, they are completely designed around the controller and Binary Domain should serve as an example sales wise.

I know localizing is far more expensive but this is just a blind port begging. We are talking about games that are already perfect on consoles and leaving out the one that matters.
Binary Domain was a game that sold badly in consoles, so it's a pretty bad example to use it's sales to make a point about the potential sales of the other games, especially since we never even got a number of sold copies of that game on PC, so we have no idea how it did compared to consoles.

As for the games being perfect, those games could be played with a gamepad on PC, additionally Vanquish runs at 30fps, and the PC platform bring several improvements to all of those games, namely framerate, resolution and better IQ, plus the potential of mods.

Yeah he has called me out on it again. Fun fact: I am the only one who has played the games in question.
Several people in this thread have played the games in question, myself included. Wanting the games to be ported to a platform where they would be improved and played for years to come is perfectly natural for fans of the games.

Sure but that was a Konami game part of a huge franchise.

Bayonetta sold 1.35 million copies. That's the same ball-park as Metal Gear Rising.

Finalow

this is really nice, I'd like to see some of those games on pc.

next should be "VC3 and Yakuza 5* localized, kthx Sega".
the first ones that came to mind.

Vanquish is like if Metal Gear Rising didn't have a rushed dev cycle and was a shooter instead of a hack-n-slash.

Which means it's the greatest thing ever.
- -
ah, nice gif. but no, MGR is an actual good game and way better than Vanquish.

Saikyo

so let me ask again, why is the only game that in fact needs attention (unlocalized yakuza 5) not on the list and we are asking sega to waste resources on games that have no issues and are even more console oriented ?

Yes, the way you talk will surely give more support for Yakuza 5 translation...Sega gave a lot of chances for the series on the west and its not profitable unfortunately, let it go.

And what was said already, porting for pc an existing game is more cheap than do a full translation.

Neiteio

Jumping to the end of the thread here, so maybe this has already been covered, but... I'm not keen on how the petition basically downplays the viability of other titles. I know it's trying to contextualize why Bayonetta, Vanquish and VF5 were chosen, but it might have the unintended side effect of deterring Sega from, say, porting Catherine to PC, if ever the idea were to cross their mind. They'd think, "Well, even the fans think it's a bad idea."

When really, it's a great idea -- Catherine is a superb title, and many PC pervs would buy it for all the wrong reasons, thinking it's something erotic, only to find they've been tricked into buying one of the best games this past generation. (Seriously, Catherine is so good I played it twice to completion, each playthrough in separate years -- something rare for me to do these days.)

DigitalDevilSummoner

Binary Domain was a game that sold badly in consoles, so it's a pretty bad example to use it's sales to make a point about the potential sales of the other games, especially since we never even got a number of sold copies of that game on PC, so we have no idea how it did compared to consoles.

As for the games being perfect, those games could be played with a gamepad on PC, additionally Vanquish runs at 30fps, and the PC platform bring several improvements to all of those games, namely framerate, resolution and better IQ, plus the potential of mods.

You are right it did badly but it IS a good example because it is in fact regarded highly by the people who played it. And about the improvements...the games in question run perfectly. Vanquish is awesome but it is a gears clone, not exactly PC material by any stretch.

Several people in this thread have played the games in question, myself included. Wanting the games to be ported to a platform where they would be improved and played for years to come is perfectly natural for fans of the games.

Of course, I was referring to the big mouth who apparently wants to make it personal.

Bayonetta sold 1.35 million copies. That's the same ball-park as Metal Gear Rising.

I said franchise.

this is really nice, I'd like to see some of those games on pc.

next should be "VC3 and Yakuza 5* localized, kthx Sega".
the first ones that came to mind.

...I like you.

ah, nice gif. but no, MGR is an actual good game and way better than Vanquish.

...but now I'm sad.
I actually like both games and think they're great in their own regards.

DigitalDevilSummoner

Yes, the way you talk will surely give more support for Yakuza 5 translation...Sega gave a lot of chances for the series on the west and its not profitable unfortunately, let it go.

What ?! Sega is one of the most blatantly useless publishers I have had the displeasure of dealing with.

edit: sorry, didn't see bold. I am not going to discuss the innovations of the game or its originality. I'm just saying Vanquish is build around a gameplay concept that was designed for consoles.

Saikyo

Vanquish is cleary not a clone of Gears of Wars...

Also signed for the petition

And five localized games is a lot for a series, I think the VC fandom has more rights to complain with VC3 not being localized than Yakuza 5...

Spaghetti

fyi guys binary domain launched with zero fanfare and kinda got fucked by the release date being pushed back from what was announced to suddenly just appearing on the steam store sometime after

citing bd for why this petition is pointless is beyond dumb

that tag is so well earned, jesus christ

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I just think that this "campaign" should've focused only on Vanquish and Bayonetta because going with PG said that engine is PC ready so it's easier for SEGA/PG to port them. then if SEGA did it people can move and ask for more games.

Nillansan

fyi guys binary domain launched with zero fanfare and kinda got fucked by the release date being pushed back from what was announced to suddenly just appearing on the steam store sometime after

citing bd for why this petition is pointless is beyond dumb

that tag is so well earned, jesus christ

I still want the sales data. DigitalDevilSummoner, stop ignoring my question and spill it.

DigitalDevilSummoner

I just think that this "campaign" should've focused only on Vanquish and Bayonetta because going with PG said that engine is PC ready so it's easier for SEGA/PG to port them. then if SEGA did it people can move and ask for more games.

Of course it should have been focused on something ! We have more title disparity than a Final Fantasy thread.

And five localized games is a lot for a series, I think the VC fandom has more rights to complain with VC3 not being localized than Yakuza 5...

as much as I love both series and want to see their games localized, yea that does suck in comparison...also being on the PSP platform didn't exactly help,

dani_dc

You are right it did badly but it IS a good example because it is in fact regarded highly by the people who played it. And about the improvements...the games in question run perfectly. Vanquish is awesome but it is a gears clone, not exactly PC material by any stretch.

I don't think the quality of a game is a good indication of it's potential to sell to a particular audience. Binary Domain being a well regarded game by those who played doesn't change that the game did badly in all platforms including consoles.

Those games are absolutely great experience on consoles, but they can be improved on PC in the ways I mentioned, you might not see the advantages of better IQ, higher resolution or better framerate, but others would love to be able to play those games with those improvements.
If the games are perfect as they are, porting them to PC would allow us to go beyond that perfection.

I said franchise.
Well, while being part of a popular franchise helped Metal Gear Rising, Bayonetta has enough sale power to do similar numbers when we consider that both games did similar numbers in consoles despite Bayonetta being a new IP at the time.

Plus Virtua Figther 5 is part of a well known franchise thats two decades old.

edit: sorry, didn't see bold. I am not going to discuss the innovations of the game or its originality. I'm just saying Vanquish is build around a gameplay concept that was designed for consoles.

One of the great things about PC gaming is that it's adaptable, the fact that Vanquish was designed around a gamepad is in no way a negative thing, as using a gamepad to play a game in the PC platform is a very trivial thing.
We have several examples of games that were designed around gamepad that did fine on the PC market, namely Dark Souls and Metal Gear Rising.

-I want Anarchy Reigns.
-I want Bayonetta.
-I want Vanquish.
-I want VF.
-I want Shenmue.

I think most of us want every one of those games!
It's about prioritizing based on how realistic it is for those releases to happen.

Kumubou

You are aware that the arcade version of VF5:FS runs on a variant of Windows, right? Barring security checks and vf.net issues, a hacker could probably get it running on consumer PCs in a few days. That's still a far stretch from a saleable product, but the game is certainly PC-ready.

Grief.exe

You are aware that the arcade version of VF5:FS runs on a variant of Windows, right? Barring security checks and vf.net issues, a hacker could probably get it running on consumer PCs in a few days. That's still a far stretch from a saleable product, but the game is certainly PC-ready.

Hackers have already gotten it to work on PCs actually.

Being on the PSP is probably what killed VC2 in the west, which resulted in no west release of VC3.

Yea, though some say VC2 in general wasn't the best game of the series and may have killed interest, in any case it would be nice in the very least if SEGA of America made the game officially available for Vita on the PSN store.

Edit: Grief, my apologies if I'm going off-topic.

Grief.exe

Digital Devil Summoner, would you mind summing up your argument in one, concise post?

Its tough to follow this narrative when the goalposts seem to be shifting.

Edit: Grief, my apologies if I'm going off-topic.

Good discussion is good discussion, never need to apologize to anyone for that.

DigitalDevilSummoner

Digital Devil Summoner, would you mind summing up your argument in one, concise post?

Its tough to follow this narrative when the goalposts seem to be shifting.

Shifting ?

Here's the problem with your petition as opposed to the Dark Souls one; those guys had one simple solid argument: there is a market for these games on the PC proven by Elder Scrolls and the Witcher. You don't have that, in fact I think you have barely touched any of the games you are talking about. You are just saying "we can demonstrate" when even the recent BD didn't demonstrate alot. And non of these games have Metal Gear in the title.

What I'm saying is "Sega you fucking own me a couple of games because I did kinda support you". Port-wise, my bet is that Yakuza has better chances on the PC on account of Sleeping dogs that any of those niche titles.

Draikin 2

Yea, though some say VC2 in general wasn't the best game of the series and may have killed interest, in any case it would be nice in the very least if SEGA of America made the game officially available for Vita on the PSN store.
Both were a factor, but the move to PSP is definitely what caused it to fail. VC2 is commonly regarded as the weakest entry out of the three main games, the gameplay was solid but the story and characters were far less memorable and the team clearly struggled with the limitations of the PSP. It still got great reviews though. The PSN store thing is really unfortunate, I'm not sure what the problem is there, I've asked Sega repeatedly about that. That's really costing them sales (VC2 costs a mere 10$, but PS Vita owners can't buy it without using a PS3 in the US).

Due to this campaign I ended up starting the original VC again, that's sure been a while. Maybe I should try making a video to support the call for a PC version of the game, if there's any interest in that. I took some screenshots, and looking at them I think the game would really benefit a lot from higher resolutions and AA. The art style is still something unique though, the PSP sequels never managed to replicate that.

valkyriachronicles720r1o4q.jpg

Nice work with getting the reddit posts approved, Grief!

TaroYamada

When really, it's a great idea -- Catherine is a superb title, and many PC pervs would buy it for all the wrong reasons, thinking it's something erotic, only to find they've been tricked into buying one of the best games this past generation. (Seriously, Catherine is so good I played it twice to completion, each playthrough in separate years -- something rare for me to do these days.)

This is the main thing I'm taking away from your post.

I'm kidding

Wrong, before I became a PC exclusive gamer I played Bayonetta, Valkyria Chronicles, Virtua Fighter 5, Vanquish and many others. What a naive comment.

You're a terrible poster.

Shifting ?

Here's the problem with your petition as opposed to the Dark Souls one; those guys had one simple solid argument: there is a market for these games on the PC proven by Elder Scrolls and the Witcher. You don't have that, in fact I think you have barely touched any of the games you are talking about. You are just saying "we can demonstrate" when even the recent BD didn't demonstrate alot. And non of these games have Metal Gear in the title.

What I'm saying is "Sega you fucking own me a couple of games because I did kinda support you". Port-wise, my bet is that Yakuza has better chances on the PC on account of Sleeping dogs that any of those niche titles.

The point of this thread is about showing there is a demand for products based on fan enthusiasm and market trends that is low risk, high reward for the publisher involved. There are tons of games that people would like SEGA to bring over as well that have been littered through this thread, but people are hoping that these titles that are the focal point that might lead to more stuff down the line.

It feels like you've been burned by SEGA in the past, but it isn't like anyone there is making the decision to port these games OR translate Yakuza 5.

destx

Here's the problem with your petition as opposed to the Dark Souls one; those guys had one simple solid argument: there is a market for these games on the PC proven by Elder Scrolls and the Witcher.
But there is a substantial market for every type of game on PC. Are you saying that this petition is no good because it doesn't mention specific games that are popular within the genres?

Anteater

Shifting ?

That's what the petition and thread is for

I'm not sure what you're arguing about.

TaroYamada

Not sure if anybody mentioned, mildly related: Agarest: Generations of War Zero was announced just recently for PC after the success of the first game.

Before somebody says something like "How's that related?!" I meant in the aspect that part of this effort is an increase in Japanese content on our platform of choice.

antitrop

It's sad that some people are too lazy to figure out what makes Vanquish great. Just play it like a stop-n-pop cover shooter and then go on message boards and say how much it sucks, disgusting.

One of the major reasons behind the push for more Japanese games is to encourage the porting of under represented genres. The petition is to show that there is in fact a market for these games on the platform.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Of course, I was referring to the big mouth who apparently wants to make it personal.

I said franchise.

It's funny you mention Gears (and Vanquish is nothing like it) because:

CVw5qmP.jpg

It also controls wonderfully with mouse and keyboard and works very well on the PC. Pity they didn't bring over the sequels though and that GFWL basically killed it.

Grief.exe

Not sure if anybody mentioned, mildly related: Agarest: Generations of War Zero was announced just recently for PC after the success of the first game.

Before somebody says something like "How's that related?!" I meant in the aspect that part of this effort is an increase in Japanese content on our platform of choice.

XSEED's ports are also their most successful games in their history as a publisher.

Talk about niche.

It's funny you mention Gears (and Vanquish is nothing like it) because:

CVw5qmP.jpg

It also controls wonderfully with mouse and keyboard and works very well on the PC. Pity they didn't bring over the sequels though and that GFWL basically killed it.

Microsoft has their work cut out for them. If they can rip GFWL out and bring over Gears, Viva Pinata, and Halo 2 I would be a very happy man.

The Gears of War port was done by People Can Fly and the game plays perfectly on the PC.

Other than the ticking time bomb that is GFWL currently.

Is there still an active multiplayer community?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The Gears of War port was done by People Can Fly and the game plays perfectly on the PC.

Oh really ? Didn't know it was them that ported it.

Microsoft has their work cut out for them. If they can rip GFWL out and bring over Gears, Viva Pinata, and Halo 2 I would be a very happy man.

Other than the ticking time bomb that is GFWL currently.

Is there still an active multiplayer community?

Not even tried the multi on PC. I can't either as I've lost access to the game now, can't redownload it either as far as I know.

Top Bottom