• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

TaroYamada

Looking through that site reminded me that lightgun games are a dead genre and I'll probably never get to play Virtua Cop 3 again.

Back on-topic though, have any game devs or anyone with porting experience actually chimed in on how easy it would actually be for Platinum to port those two games just because Rising was ported and it shares the same engine? Maybe JP could comment if we're all really off base.

I have no idea how that stuff works but I assume that they make tweaks to their own engine over time, along with game specific tweaks. Rising was one of their most recent games, and Vanquish and Bayonetta are two of their oldest.

In the credits of Rising, I saw that the PC port team was actually pretty small, just about a dozen people. But we have no idea how long they were working, or how many people it would take to complete ports of Bayo and Vanquish in a timely fashion.

Just thinking out loud here.

Rising assuredly uses a later version of the engine.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Looking through that site reminded me that lightgun games are a dead genre and I'll probably never get to play Virtua Cop 3 again.

Back on-topic though, have any game devs or anyone with porting experience actually chimed in on how easy it would actually be for Platinum to port those two games just because Rising was ported and it shares the same engine? Maybe JP could comment if we're all really off base.

I have no idea how that stuff works but I assume that they make tweaks to their own engine over time, along with game specific tweaks. Rising was one of their most recent games, and Vanquish and Bayonetta are two of their oldest.

In the credits of Rising, I saw that the PC port team was actually pretty small, just about a dozen people. But we have no idea how long they were working, or how many people it would take to complete ports of Bayo and Vanquish in a timely fashion.

Just thinking out loud here.
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/04/bayonetta-in-3d/

Make of that what you Will.

Grief.exe

I'm headed out doing some winter camping and backpacking the next couple days.

I won't be able to post as frequently but I should still have cell service due to the proximity of a ski resort.

Message me here or on twitter.

TaroYamada

I was on my phone earlier, there was a thread on this a few months back or longer, maybe angular graphics started it? I forget. I was gonna mention it when I got home.

Other things I wanted to mention: I'm not a game programmer and have no aspirations to be one, so you may want to seek somebody who is more informed for your question Wesker. I am however a Computer Science major as a student and a Broadcast Engineer by profession, Broadcast engineering incorporates some coding, different amounts I'd imagine depending on where you are and what your employer needs you to do. For me and my coworkers it's mostly ruby, python, C++ or to a lesser extent C.

It was just something of a general consensus in the previous thread that the current status of MGR may assist in the port and the idea made some sense to me.

edit: we should get a post on Sonic Retro on monday, hopefully more press outlets will join next week too :)

edit 2:

ClumsyOrchid, a community team member, is watching the movement so we are making an impact folks. We had previous confirmation that they were aware of the twitter movement, this is the first acknowledgement of our effort with the petition.

xcd6AN4.jpg

Ushiwaka

So I saw a tweet from JP Kellams (PG_JP, Platinum's Creative Producer) which someone asked him about the twitter campaign and he said he's tired of people requesting ports. Which is really strange, because a couple of month ago when "Bayonetta 1 for Wii U" campaign was active, he seemed to really like the movement and said how he loved the "passion" of the fans. Well apparently he doesn't like the passion of all of the PG fans, but only some of them.

Anyway, enough about hypocrites. We're about to reach 3800 signatures! thats near 4000 people! Keep up the good work, you passionate fans! Oh, and another site posting the petition :)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/New-...Ports-of-Bayonetta-Vanquish-More-420054.shtml

joe2187

Banned
So I saw a tweet from JP Kellams (PG_JP, Platinum's Creative Producer) which someone asked him about the twitter campaign and he said he's tired of people requesting ports. Which is really strange, because a couple of month ago when "Bayonetta 1 for Wii U" campaign was active, he seemed to rally like the movement and said how he loved the "passion" of the fans. Well apparently he doesn't like the passion of all of the PG fans, but only some of them.

I think he's fine with the petition for Bayo 1 on Wii-U.

He was referring more to people asking for Bayo 2 to be ported to Xbox/PS3 and how he's tired of people bothering him with it everytime he mentions Bayo 2.

TaroYamada

So I saw a tweet from JP Kellams (PG_JP, Platinum's Creative Producer) which someone asked him about the twitter campaign and he said he's tired of people requesting ports. Which is really strange, because a couple of month ago when "Bayonetta 1 for Wii U" campaign was active, he seemed to rally like the movement and said how he loved the "passion" of the fans. Well apparently he doesn't like the passion of all of the PG fans, but only some of them.

Anyway, enough about hypocrites. We're about to reach 3800 signatures! thats near 4000 people! Keep up the good work, you passionate fans! Oh, and another site posting the petition :)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/New-...Ports-of-Bayonetta-Vanquish-More-420054.shtml

Saw this earlier forgot to add it to OP, thanks for reminding me.

He was referring more to people asking for Bayo 2 to be ported to Xbox/PS3 and how he's tired of people bothering him with it everytime he mentions Bayo 2.

Sounds like Ushi says he replied that way to us :'(

Also folks, just a heads up we'll probably slow in sigs over the weekend, that's anticipated and press will be hard to reach for the period. Nothing to worry, at least in my opinion.

Ushiwaka

CMYpwam.jpg

No, he's talking about the PC port movement. Now I'm not against PG making new IPs, that is a part of PG's philosophy and I would love that, but showing a little love for your fans wouldn't hurt.

Saw this earlier forgot to add it to OP, thanks for reminding me.

You're welcome!

TaroYamada

CMYpwam.jpg

No, he's talking about the PC port movement. Now I'm not against PG making new IPs, that is a part of PG's philosophy and I would love that, but showing a little love for your fans wouldn't hurt.

You're welcome!

It sucks he won't retweet or assist us in anyway, truly unfortunate. None the less we really only need to convince SEGA, if PG doesn't want to partake, oh well, SEGA can give it to some porthouse worst case scenario.

Updated the OP, it's slightly more organized, I'm sorry it became so messy!

Ushiwaka

It sucks he won't retweet or assist us in anyway, truly unfortunate. None the less we really only need to convince SEGA, if PG doesn't want to partake, oh well, SEGA can give it to some porthouse worst case scenario.

Yeah we just need to convince Sega. And I think this sort of decisions is not for Mr. Kellams to make. I think Mr. Inaba and Mr. Minami are the ones that make business decision for PG. And if Sega agrees to port the games, based on " Platinum is Independent, so If there's money, Platinum will do it" I do not see why PG wouldn't agree on doing the ports.

TaroYamada

Yeah we just need to convince Sega. And I think this sort of decisions is not for Mr. Kellams to make. I think Mr. Inaba and Mr. Minami are the ones that make business decision for PG. And if Sega agrees to port the games, based on " Platinum is Independent, so If there's money, Platinum will do it" I do not see why PG wouldn't agree on doing the ports.

Also true.

Anyways, sorry I didn't participate as much today guys. I took a vacation day thursday, took the entire day off to make sure we got off on the right foot. Today I only took a half day because we are heading into the weekend, expected stuff to slow a bit until monday.

I'll be here through most of the weekend for any pressing matters, even though they are unlikely to develop.

It seems that as a cool guy I have to support this movement to stay a cool guy during this event. Also with the SEGA/Steam cooperation nowadays I hope that these games enter the PC market directly via Steam.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member

I really like your movement and would love to see especially Bayonetta on PC. I'd hate for that title to be unplayable on a modern system 10 years from now. But you should think about creative talent such as this guy, who wants to work on new things. It's important they can do that and keep pushing the industry forward. You need both things and you guys need to nurture that :)

TronLight

Yep. They really just need to show their support, they won't have to do the port themself, or at least they would only need a small workforce.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair I don't really blame JP wanting to forget about this/leave it. Guy's copped a lot of shit in recent months and has been hassled especially over Bayonetta 2, people just can't accept for some reason that the game would be dead without Nintendo.

TronLight

To be fair I don't really blame JP wanting to forget about this/leave it. Guy's copped a lot of shit in recent months and has been hassled especially over Bayonetta 2, people just can't accept for some reason that the game would be dead without Nintendo.
It's not like we're harassing or insulting them.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It's not like we're harassing or insulting them.

Oh absolutely, I'm not saying anyone's done anything wrong or anything like that. I guess there's just only so much shit a person can take in general before they get fed up regardless of who it is.

Sure the guy was getting a lot of shit about the resolution in the MGR port as well and he didn't even have anything to do with that but was kindly passing along comments to the PC team.

Persona7

Banned
So I saw a tweet from JP Kellams (PG_JP, Platinum's Creative Producer) which someone asked him about the twitter campaign and he said he's tired of people requesting ports. Which is really strange, because a couple of month ago when "Bayonetta 1 for Wii U" campaign was active, he seemed to really like the movement and said how he loved the "passion" of the fans. Well apparently he doesn't like the passion of all of the PG fans, but only some of them.

This is really bugging me for some reason.

Nillansan

On a related note, I also believe that Hideki Kamiya directed Grief to Atsushi Inaba when he inquired about porting PG titles to PC.

TronLight

Guys if go on JPkellams twitter you'll see that he is actually being quite nice about the petition. He's not being an ass, that tweet might be misinterpreted. He is not against the campaign.

Ushiwaka

Guys if go on JPkellams twitter you'll see that he is actually being quite nice about the petition. He's not being an ass, that tweet might be misinterpreted. He is not against the campaign.

At least he's telling people to ask Sega. That's better than being a jerk. But I still don't get it why he would love that Wii U movement, but not this one.

number47

At least he's telling people to ask Sega. That's better than being a jerk. But I still don't get it why he would love that Wii U movement, but not this one.

if you port bayo to pc. then eventually you will ask for bayo 2 to go there as well.

People should be nice and just ask for one.
I bank on Vanquish. That game needs a sequel.

if you port bayo to pc. then eventually you will ask for bayo 2 to go there as well.

People should be nice and just ask for one.
I bank on Vanquish. That game needs a sequel.

Using that logic, you could also say that if you port bayo to Wii U, you'll have people ask for bayo on PC. the game hasn't been on any of the two platforms.

Gbraga

God I miss Bayo so much, don't make me have to buy the PS3 version now that I don't own a 360 anymore, please Sega.

Give me a backwards compatible Bayo so I can play for the rest of my life and dance when Fly me to the moon plays.

I really wasn't joking or exaggerating when I said I'd get 10 copies, I'll even give the extra 9 here on GAF to prove it.

JPKellams

So taking one tweet out of context, especially from that Shredder dude, who I eventually had to block, is pretty flamebaitey, so I'm popping into this thread.

I was the one that pushed for our team to visit Valve, and I have been the one pestering the MGR PC producer with everyone's comments to make sure people are aware of the PC audience. Push comes to shove, I am probably one of the biggest PC advocates at Platinum.

I would love to see Vanquish and Bayonetta on PC.
I don't think anyone who put their heart and soul into that game thinks differently. The more people who play our games and leave with a smile, the merrier.

My point on twitter is that, personally, I want to focus on creating new things. That is what I love. And I want people to support the new things. The new ideas. If you wake up every day excited to make something new, it is hard to look at twitter when all the tweets make it feel like people want you to just remake something old.

I wrote a much longer post about how I think we should all focus on supporting new content, but I realized that I want to have faith in you all. I hope that you put an equal amount of energy and love into supporting all that we do, not just pushing for PC ports of PG games. Bayonetta 2 or W101 are amazing experiences and deserve your passion and support. Tons of games on Kickstarter are new experiences, not just the nostalgia projects that get the big numbers, and they deserve your support. New IPs all start somewhere and the big publishers need to know that "Shut up and take my money" applies to the new stuff even more than the old stuff or yearly sequels.

Are we cool now?

TaroYamada

So taking one tweet out of context, especially from that Shredder dude, who I eventually had to block, is pretty flamebaitey, so I'm popping into this thread.

I was the one that pushed for our team to visit Valve, and I have been the one pestering the MGR PC producer with everyone's comments to make sure people are aware of the PC audience. Push comes to shove, I am probably one of the biggest PC advocates at Platinum.

I don't think anyone who put their heart and soul into that game thinks differently. The more people who play our games and leave with a smile, the merrier.

My point on twitter is that, personally, I want to focus on creating new things. That is what I love. And I want people to support the new things. The new ideas. If you wake up every day excited to make something new, it is hard to look at twitter when all the tweets make it feel like people want you to just remake something old.

I wrote a much longer post about how I think we should all focus on supporting new content, but I realized that I want to have faith in you all. I hope that you put an equal amount of energy and love into supporting all that we do, not just pushing for PC ports of PG games. Bayonetta 2 or W101 are amazing experiences and deserve your passion and support. Tons of games on Kickstarter are new experiences, not just the nostalgia projects that get the big numbers, and they deserve your support. New IPs all start somewhere and the big publishers need to know that "Shut up and take my money" applies to the new stuff even more than the old stuff or yearly sequels.

Are we cool now?

You never weren't cool with me, I just thought it was unfortunate, I wasn't angry. We were misinformed, water under the bridge if there was water to begin with.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Are we cool now?

As long as you guys keep making games I'll buy every fucking thing you make, regardless of platform. I just happen to want them on PC too. Why do you think I bought a Wii U ? :p (apart from for Nintendo games)

Gbraga

Are we cool now?

I think people need to get used to the idea that at least when it comes to Platinum devs, their twitters are their twitters, they express their personal opinions there and nothing more (unless they explicitly say otherwise).

Also, I definitely will support Bayo 2 and W101, the only reason I still didn't is because the main reasons for me to get a WiiU are Bayo 2 and X, and they both still have no date, so I'll hold my purchase, specially since the WiiU is kinda expensive here in Brazil, but I'll get one with W101 + Bayo2/X (the one that comes out sooner).

Of course I can't say for everyone, but the reason I'm behind those petitions is not because I want you guys to focus on porting your stuff, but because I want those incredible gaming classics that I love with all my heart to be on a completely backwards compatible platform running at their best performance for me to revisit as many times as I want, for as long as I want. And God knows I'll play Bayo for a damn long time. I really can't see the sequel making Bayo 1 outdated no matter how good it is. I kinda feel the same for Dark Souls, I feel there'll be a significant part of the community for those games that will still prefer the old one, and not for reasons like story or characters, but the actual game design. That's what happens when you make the best game in your genre.

JPKellams

I think people need to get used to the idea that at least when it comes to Platinum devs, their twitters are their twitters, they express their personal opinions there and nothing more (unless they explicitly say otherwise).

Yep. Which is kind of awesome we work in a place that supports/understands that. :)

Ushiwaka

Are we cool now?

Thanks for the clarification. As I said before I would love to see new IPs from you guys and I think everyone else would love that too.

And I didn't mean to misinform anyone, I saw that tweet and it made me angry, maybe I should've read more into it.

TaroYamada

Thanks for the clarification. As I said before I would love to see new IPs from you guys and I think everyone else would love that too.

And I didn't mean to misinform anyone, I saw that tweet and it made me angry, maybe I should've read more into it.

It's cool man, you were just trying to keep the thread informed. Mistakes will be made. Just a misunderstanding, that's all.

If you wake up every day excited to make something new, it is hard to look at twitter when all the tweets make it feel like people want you to just remake something old.

This is the wrong perspective. We don't want you to "remake something old", we want you to make these awesome, loved games available to a much wider audience, as the "definitive" (lol) version. It's about preserving these games and making them playable for a long time, in the best possible shape. By doing that, you create new fans who inevitably will be excited for your new games. There's a huge untapped segment of the market which never even played Bayonetta. Why would they be excited for Bayonetta 2?

It's the same thing in practice, and i can understand why it doesn't excite you as much, but it's a worthy cause.

Peff

Are we cool now?

I don't think it has to be mutually exclusive, though. In a way, porting a game like Vanquish to the PC would make for a fresh experience thanks to the improved framerate and KB/M controls, not to mention that these versions of the games will most likely be playable for longer than most 360s and probably PS3s will allow for. Of course it'd be great to see such droves of support for new projects, but I think you better than anyone should know that for most people it takes actual hands-on before they know what they're missing (remember Sarah Palin May Cry, ugh-another-generic-TPS, the reaction to the Revengeance premiere?) and some times even more than that, like with the demo for W101. There's only so much us believers can do :p

Nillansan

Are we cool now?

I want to apologize for my post, I did take a look at the conversation after Tronlight's post and I later stated that it really wasn't as bad as I thought, it was indeed taken out of context. I am sorry for jumping on that.

Thank you for bringing Metal Gear Rising to PC and engaging with community. Again, I sincerely apologise for the first comment.

You never weren't cool with me, I just thought it was unfortunate, I wasn't angry. We were misinformed, water under the bridge if there was water to begin with.

My exact sentiments.

Edit: Damn I feel like a complete arsehole :(

Grief.exe

Edit: seems the tweet was taken completely out of context. Should have known that Kellams would be so supportive.

CMYpwam.jpg

That is strange considering the team responsible is so small that it wouldn't effect new development.
Of course, it also allows the studio a little more breathing room to create new IP with the additional revenue.

Platinum is a small, independent studio. They will take the money on something potentially so profitable.

Top Bottom