• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

TaroYamada

That is strange considering the team responsible is so small that it wouldn't effect new development.
Of course, it also allows the studio a little more breathing room to create new IP with the additional revenue.

Very strange statement from him.

Platinum is a small, independent studio. They will take the money on something potentially so profitable.

Grief bro, you replied to outdated tweets. We've been updated, all is well in the land of SEGAPCPorts.

Ushiwaka

It's cool man, you were just trying to keep the thread informed. Mistakes will be made. Just a misunderstanding, that's all.

Cool :)

Oh and JP, I also apologize if I offended you. It was a misunderstanding and I was really angry. I'm not the type of guy who usually acts like I did. I'm gonna go feel ashamed now. :(

JoeFenix

Best idea I've heard in ages. Great art this time as well. I hope we can find a way to do it...

I just received my copy of Eyes of Bayonetta yesterday, can't believe it's finally here!

I skimmed through it and it's fantastic, I would kill for a Wonderful 101 artbook of this quality level!

Everyone in this thread knows this but it's hard to try to convince some publishers that they would have a very dedicated community that would buy their game and not simply steal it. Every once in a while they will take a chance and do the math like Konami has done with MGR:R. These petitions are good at raising community awareness and persuading publishers to consider it, but whether the party continues or not will depend strictly on the sales numbers from there on out.

Hopefully in the future with PS4/XO architectures being similar to PCs it will help reduce the risk and development costs of including a PC version of their games.

daninthemix

I would like to see stuff like Panzer Dragoon. They already released that on PS2, that version on Steam would be perfect. Oh yeah, and Shenmue.

Grief.exe

FUCK. YOU. GRIEF.

;)

They can always outsource to QLOC, they have a great track record in porting games. =D

Platinum would probably do the ports internally, but Sega calculates its potential ROI.
Will the sales of the product offset the porting costs? Will it be substantial? Or a drop in the bucket?
Konami seems to have thought their ROI would be significant enough to port Rising and LoS.

I would like to see stuff like Panzer Dragoon. They already released that on PS2, that version on Steam would be perfect. Oh yeah, and Shenmue.

Sega has so many games stuck on dead platforms from that area.

JSRF
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Otogi I/II
Shenmue Series
Skies of Arcadia

deleted

Dunno if it will help, but I just postet the link on the German Gamestar Forum, which is a PC exclusive German magazine.

Peff

Ironically there IS a PC port of Panzer Dragoon, which I own:

RoKtLw1.jpg

Not sure it works on Windows Vista/7/8, which would be a problem. I may install it later and give it a go.

Spaghetti

nice to see we have support from kellams

i wonder if there will be any pressure from inside platinum to publishers for a pc version of any multi-platform games they create in the future

it's all well and good that we're strongly petitioning now, but we can't always beg for potentially quite late ports

i am quite hopeful that platinum has a strong future on pc though, and the lessons learned from mgr (regarding the steam hardware/settings surveys and cutting from the bottom rather than the top - as the top will one day be the norm) will benefit future pc endeavours

Peff

qzY0TE9.png

It does! And it's compatible with the 360 pad too, lulz. Resolution seems to be locked to 640x480 though :(

TaroYamada

qzY0TE9.png

It does! And it's compatible with the 360 pad too, lulz. Resolution seems to be locked to 640x480 though :(

All these old sega PC ports usually work in compatibility mode. It's rather stunning really.

nice to see we have support from kellams

i wonder if there will be any pressure from inside platinum to publishers for a pc version of any multi-platform games they create in the future

it's all well and good that we're strongly petitioning now, but we can't always beg for potentially quite late ports

i am quite hopeful that platinum has a strong future on pc though, and the lessons learned from mgr (regarding the steam hardware/settings surveys and cutting from the bottom rather than the top - as the top will one day be the norm) will benefit future pc endeavours

That's a big part of this campaign.

Draikin 2

Has anyone ever gotten an answer about that, just seems weird since it is already compatible and allowing to appear on the store doesn't look like it would take much effort, especially for more sales opportunities.
I looked into the situation before, it's really odd. The EU PSN actually shows the game but not the DLC. The US PSN doesn't show the game at all. I don't understand it either, the game has been repeatedly lowered in price but they could drive more sales if they made it available directly for the PS Vita. I'll try asking them again.

Just seeing that screen shot reminds me what a great and interesting engine the CANVAS was...would really appreciate that it got more use or if a PC port would actually happen. (that and of course VC3 localize, etc.)
Same here. Unlike VC3, we already know Sega was satisfied by the sales of the original game (that's why they released VC2 on PSP after all).

As for Panzer Dragoon: while it works on PC, I think it would be shame not to convert the Sega Ages version instead. The PC version (which was also included in Panzer Dragoon Orta) is not quite the same as the original Saturn version. The Sega Ages version has both a Saturn mode and a new mode, which using a new dragon and character model.

Peff

As for Panzer Dragoon: while it works on PC, I think it would be shame not to convert the Sega Ages version instead. The PC version (which was also included in Panzer Dragoon Orta) is not quite the same as the original Saturn version. The Sega Ages version has both a Saturn mode and a new mode, which using a new dragon and character model.

Yeah, the Sega Ages collection could be really crappy at times, but when they were well done, they were well done. There's also a precedent in the form of Nights HD, which was made from the PS2 version as well, so it shouldn't be that difficult to port in theory.

legacyzero

Banned
I hate petitions, but Im on board.

After playing Rising for the first time..... And realizing other Platinum games I havnt played like Bayo and Vanquish....

TaroYamada

That's Mojang's art dude.

Edit: Signed for the best 3D fighting game ever made, VF5.

And people said nobody wanted VF5, it's mentioned rather frequently! I should probably tweet notch/mojang tomorrow about this, he could be of help.

Zarx

So taking one tweet out of context, especially from that Shredder dude, who I eventually had to block, is pretty flamebaitey, so I'm popping into this thread.

I was the one that pushed for our team to visit Valve, and I have been the one pestering the MGR PC producer with everyone's comments to make sure people are aware of the PC audience. Push comes to shove, I am probably one of the biggest PC advocates at Platinum.

I would love to see Vanquish and Bayonetta on PC.
I don't think anyone who put their heart and soul into that game thinks differently. The more people who play our games and leave with a smile, the merrier.

My point on twitter is that, personally, I want to focus on creating new things. That is what I love. And I want people to support the new things. The new ideas. If you wake up every day excited to make something new, it is hard to look at twitter when all the tweets make it feel like people want you to just remake something old.

I wrote a much longer post about how I think we should all focus on supporting new content, but I realized that I want to have faith in you all. I hope that you put an equal amount of energy and love into supporting all that we do, not just pushing for PC ports of PG games. Bayonetta 2 or W101 are amazing experiences and deserve your passion and support. Tons of games on Kickstarter are new experiences, not just the nostalgia projects that get the big numbers, and they deserve your support. New IPs all start somewhere and the big publishers need to know that "Shut up and take my money" applies to the new stuff even more than the old stuff or yearly sequels.

Are we cool now?

Well if you guys want to bring an original game to PC, I for one would be very interested. I know Inaba mentioned maybe doing a Kickstarter or a self funded game for PC/Steam. I would personally prefer something designed for PC more than ports, but porting existing games would surely help build a fanbase for those future original titles.

I like this guy's fanart of Vanquish and Bayonetta.

Bayonetta_2D_Shmup_by_jnkboy.png

T0cwfbS.jpg

http://jnkboy.deviantart.com/gallery/

This is probably the closest we will get to a Kamiya made 2D shmup. That said I'm surprised there isn't more indies looking to make STGs with 2D sprite work like this.

I thought Jamestown was rather successful for 2-3 dev sized game. And with Treasure bringing Ikaruga to Steam I'd have expected to see more indies wanting to ape that style even if it's a big step up from the 8bit / neon artwork that's in vogue atm, as quality 2D seems to sell itself on Steam just like Jamestown, Dust, Fortune Summoners and Cave Story +.

I wrote a much longer post about how I think we should all focus on supporting new content, but I realized that I want to have faith in you all. I hope that you put an equal amount of energy and love into supporting all that we do, not just pushing for PC ports of PG games. Bayonetta 2 or W101 are amazing experiences and deserve your passion and support. Tons of games on Kickstarter are new experiences, not just the nostalgia projects that get the big numbers, and they deserve your support. New IPs all start somewhere and the big publishers need to know that "Shut up and take my money" applies to the new stuff even more than the old stuff or yearly sequels.

Are we cool now?

I LOVE the fact that Platinum are very new IP driven especially in this day and age, however I think not doing PC ports would be leaving money on the table, money which could be used to fund original IP.

Looking at the MGR Pc thread I'd guess there are many new P* fans hungry for more ports, plus some of us existing fans would just like to buy the same game a 2nd time if it turns out to be the definitive version like SEGA's Binary Domain is.

If anything Anarchy Reigns deserves to be remade on PC, give it an better lobby system and online community. SEGA practically sent it out to die on console which is a damn shame for the game itself and the genre it should have spawned.

I'd also love a WiiU port of Bayo 1 too :D

scitek

Are we cool now?

Yeah, you've always been cool with me, but I think the ports would do you guys some good.

Not only would they get you more experience with the PC, but the PC, being an open platform, isn't confined to the typical generational cycle of the consoles. As a result of Metal Gear Rising being on the platform, you'll likely see sales for years to come rather than just weeks or months, and it'll be especially popular during Steam sales.

Being an independent developer, it's in your best interest to not have your titles restricted to systems that will eventually die out, and I think putting in the legwork to get out those few titles people are asking for would only go to strengthen your brand in the future. It's not like people are asking for 50 games. They're mostly asking for just 2.

From this point forward, we hope all of your future projects will include a PC version from the outset and asking for a port won't be necessary.

Top Bottom