• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

Nillansan

I can't seem to post in RPS forum, do any of you know if there is an approval process - I don't recall there being one? I am attempting to get the thread starter to update the OP to reflect recent developments.

EDIT: I just created a new account, but my post will not be visible until a moderator approves it. Sigh. I will let you all know when it is up.

Grief.exe

Tweet: https://twitter.com/neoseeker/status/427918783710101504
Article: http://www.neoseeker.com/news/24484-sega-takes-note-of-petition-asking-for-more-games-on-pc/

6Noi14V.png

Only a small amount of people will even pay for these games even at half price. Sorry to say this makes no sense financially, and having a steam sale at $2 a copy isn't going to generate any revenue. Sega has a marketing problem that will not be solved by good will efforts or low prices. I say this as a a Sega fan, but this would not work.

Only a small amount of people will even pay for these games even at half price. Sorry to say this makes no sense financially, and having a steam sale at $2 a copy isn't going to generate any revenue. Sega has a marketing problem that will not be solved by good will efforts or low prices. I say this as a a Sega fan, but this would not work.

Honestly, SEGA simply funding solid ports for each of the games mentioned in the petition and putting them on steam is all the marketing they really need in this case. They have the cult followings to back them up easily along with long term legs from sales regardless of price.

Nillansan

What are you basing all this on?

TaroYamada

3nohmLX.gif

What the petition is asking is for SEGA to test the waters with something quick, cheap and simple, which makes. Given all the great SEGA console games there is, I'd say it's in their best interest to atleast give it a shot, considering they tend to port XBLA/PSN releases and Sonic to PC which have sold ok for what I understad

Spaghetti

are you on fucking dust

ArjanN

Is this guy high?

kbdcbRF.png

Petitions usually aren't news because they don't get enough signatures.

His point doesn't really make sense, since for every person who goes out of their way to sign a petition there's a bunch of people who don't but would pick up a game if it just showed up on Steam. Hell, only a tiny fraction of the audience is even aware of petitions.

Kumubou

His point doesn't really make sense, since for every person who goes out of their way to sign a petition there's a bunch of people who don't but would pick up a game if it just showed up on Steam. Hell, only a tiny fraction of the audience is even aware of petitions.
I would think it's more about that there tend to be a lot of petitions and almost all of them do absolutely nothing. It's not the screen space and database storage used in most instances.

As for the petition itself... hopefully it ends better than the VF5:R petition from a few years back.
Although that wasn't a complete dud, since it was one of the data points that got them to greenlight the VF5:FS port.

Nillansan

What the petition is asking is for SEGA to test the waters with something quick, cheap and simple, which makes. Given all the great SEGA console games there is, I'd say it's in their best interest to atleast give it a shot, considering they tend to port XBLA/PSN releases and Sonic to PC which have sold ok for what I understad

are you on fucking dust

Don't waste your time, it's just another worthless drive-by post by some clueless individual.

ArjanN

I would think it's more about that there tend to be a lot of petitions and almost all of them do absolutely nothing. It's not the screen space and database storage used in most instances.

As for the petition itself... hopefully it ends better than the VF5:R petition from a few years back.
Although that wasn't a complete dud, since it was one of the data points that got them to greenlight the VF5:FS port.

While there are a lot of game related petitions, most of them get relatively little signatures. I'm sure this one is already more successful than the vast majority of them.

I think the VF5:R petition you mentioned only had like 800 signatures.

dani_dc

If we go down to it, there aren't many games or ports that were released due to petitions.
But the few ones that were (Dark Souls, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower) went to sell within (or over) the expectation set before their release.

Dark Souls was already mentioned.
Xenoblade had a limit run which sold out.
The Last Story was XSeed most successful release.
Pandora's Tower did "pretty well".

I'd actually like to see some examples of petitions that lead to games/ports being released and subsequently failed to acheive their sales goals. I honestly can't think of a single one.

Grief.exe

I'll have something for this ignorance later when I have some more time to formulate an argument. I really hate these statements though, there is really no other descriptor to use other than pure, unadulterated, ignorance.

Are there any other examples of online petitions leading to a game being released with good sales? I'm genuinely curious.

I do think that this petition is more reasonable than most so it's more likely to be successful.

Dark Souls is pretty much the only example, and it was largely successful despite its many shortcomings.

Of course not but he works for the PR rag for Gamestop who are only interested in pushing new games to help make that moola so of course they aren't interested.

Ah so he has different motivations to account for that statement.

Raiden HD will serve that cause. Maybe a few visitors but whatever :)

http://maldotex.blogspot.com.es/2014/01/metal-gear-rising-retextureance-and.html

You are doing a retexture for MGR?

I can't wait to read more into that.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The world simply isn't ready for a 60fps Vanquish.

Shaneus

I only just realised this thread existed (only kept on top of the other one). Great responses from Sega themselves in the OP, as well as a great number of signatures on the petition!

Signed, and will share the love.

Edit:
Of course not but he works for the PR rag for Gamestop who are only interested in pushing new games to help make that moola so of course they aren't interested.
That, and the fact that they're PC titles. No physical copy = no money for Gamestop.

Grief.exe

Its kind of frustrating that journalists keep linking to this tweet, which was actually in response to the original Twitter campaign.

Oh well, gets the message across. Would be nice to get some of the newer responses in more articles though.

3cou9HA.jpg

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

There's a case to be made both ways. I mean petitions often have alot of duplicate signatures and the signatures of people who really have no interest in the topic, but sign anyways because their friends asked them on facebook/twitter and there's zero commitment.

There's no doubt people would buy it who didn't sign if it just popped up on steam. The case is how many and how many at full price if that's what it takes to make money

Dark Souls is pretty much the only example, and it was largely successful despite its many shortcomings.

I think the biggest difference between this petition and Dark Souls is that Dark Souls was focused on getting just Dark Souls on PC.

Here you're asking for 3 games with signatures asking for a bunch more on top of it. So not only do you lack the amount of signatures Dark Souls got in the same period of time, but there's no way of telling who signed for what.(unless you really believe every signature is a pledge to purchase every game mentioned, comments or otherwise, at full price on release)

So I kind of think this petition isn't making a clear statement to Sega. You're asking for too much with too little.

I'll have something for this ignorance later when I have some more time to formulate an argument. I really hate these statements though, there is really no other descriptor to use other than pure, unadulterated, ignorance.

Heh, you're delusional. Binary Domain sold like shit on PC and you expect something like Vanquish to sell anything when it has already been rejected in the marketplace. You're the ignorant one. If Sega listens to you they'll lose more money.

Miguel81

Heh, you're delusional. Binary Domain sold like shit on PC and you expect something like Vanquish to sell anything when it has already been rejected in the marketplace. You're the ignorant one. If Sega listens to you they'll lose more money.

Vanquish, Bayonetta, and Virtua Fighter are in a whole different ballpark compared to Binary Domain. Hopefully, PC gamers will be more receptive to these games than console gamers were(If they come at all).

Hypron

Binary domain isn't even the same type of game as vanquish. And apparently it had terrible m/kb controls.

Grief.exe

Doesn't matter what the price is, the game is still generating a significant amount of revenue.
I really dislike this argument, its a perception problem that just doesn't hold up in reality.

Even if you have an issue comprehending this portion of the argument, games sell full price quite consistently on PC. Starbound, DayZ, Rust these are great examples and all three have sold well over a million copies without ever having a discount. 80% of the top ten revenue earners on Steam right now are full price games or have a small pre-order discount http://i.imgur.com/tE7aJh2.jpg.

But then we did this different experiment where we did a sale. The sale is a highly promoted event that has ancillary media like comic books and movies associated with it. We do a 75 percent price reduction, our Counter-Strike experience tells us that our gross revenue would remain constant. Instead what we saw was our gross revenue increased by a factor of 40. Not 40 percent, but a factor of 40. Which is completely not predicted by our previous experience with silent price variation.

"It's not uncommon for our partners to see [a] 10-20 times revenue increase on games they run as a 'Daily Deal.' Some titles really take off and see as much [as a] 70-80 times increase in revenue," Holtman said.
Is there a catch?
Despite the fact that Steam sales mark games down to just a small fraction of their usual price, the developers we spoke to don't think these promotions are devaluing games at all. Based on the data they've seen, Steam sales have only been a good thing for their business.

Sure, players will jump on the chance to buy a game for $2.50, but the developers have found that Steam consumers are still perfectly willing to pay full price for a game once the sales are over. The "race to the bottom" we've seen on the mobile markets just doesn't seem to be there on Valve's platform.

"While some may argue that [major sales] contribute to an industry-wide price deterioration problem -- where smartphone games have made people unwilling to spend more than $5 on a digital game -- [Steam sales] are a bit different," says Ken Berry, the executive VP of XSEED Games (Ys Origins, Ys: The Oath in Felghana).

"Rather than looking at it as a 'lost sale' when people wait for these Steam discounts, I think it needs to be viewed as reaching out to a new customer that never would have purchased your game otherwise."

Valve's Holtman says he's never noticed any negative consequences from these promotions. Instead, most games still see positive trends in their sales numbers well after the discounts are over.
At the very worst, a game's sales will just revert back to what they were before the promotion began.

And of course, it's not only about generating more sales. Sometimes, you just want to make sure that people are playing your game in the first place, so they pay attention when you're building excitement for whatever comes next.

As Toxic Games' Daniel Da Rocha (Q.U.B.E.), puts it, "[When people] have the opportunity pick up a copy for next to nothing, this only grows the fan base around the game, so when we release new content or future games, we have a large community already there to market to."

Sales of Q-Game's PixelJunk Eden during the Steam holiday sale doubled the developer's annual income, according to tweets from designer and programmer Dylan Cuthbert.

Platform puzzler PixelJunk Eden, the third title in the PixelJunk series, was featured in Valve's annual two-week run of holiday game discounts for $0.99. The game was chosen by the Steam Community in a User's Choice poll determining what game would go on sale at 90 percent off.

Binary Domain is a great example to cherry pick to try and form some kind of argument, again it falls very short.
The reality of the situation is that Binary Domain was a decidedly mediocre shooter with an, initially, sloppy port that didn't sell well outside of Japan. NPD tracked the first month of sales for the title at 20,000, which does not include the PC version but gives a fairly good estimate to the total success.

I've never heard Sega come out and say it was a mistake to port Binary Domain to PC or how horribly it has done on the platform. I would imagine that it is still generating a fair bit of revenue due to the positive word of mouth going around, about 25% of my friends on Steam own the title which is actually a fairly high percentage.

Yet all I ever hear from dissenters is Binary Domain, Binary Domain, Binary Domain. Do you even see why this is such a poor place to begin an argument?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

how did binary domain sell on consoles? lol keep reaching

25 of of my 40 steam friends own BD, i think it sold just fine relative to it's overall sales

TaroYamada

On my phoneso excuse brevity but bd is a terrible example great game but sold poorly on consoles in western markets. We've never even been given pc sales figures.

Dumb.

Shaneus

Why on earth are people actively arguing against this? It makes no sense.

"Please Sega, please stop releasing more games"

Edit: Holy shit, there's a MaLDo texture pack for Revengeance? I know I should've bought it already, but now I really need it. My 1GB VRAM will weep :(

destx

Binary domain isn't even the same type of game as vanquish. And apparently it had terrible m/kb controls.
It really did, they were so god damn weird, it hurts to think about it.

In regard to sales, it also doesn't help that on the surface Binary Domain looks like a generic, colourless, boring robot shooter. I know it's better than that, but what little marketing there was did not convey this.

The three example games in this petition have more obvious style and character than Binary Domain.

Just to reiterate, I quite like Binary Domain but it really doesn't stick out from the crowd like SEGA's other games do.

Zarx

you have sales numbers for Binary Domain on PC?

Also didn't BD bomb even worse on consoles than vanquish?

Top Bottom