• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA releases Bayonetta (8-bit) on Steam

Bayonetta 2 could have been produced under terms that permanently preclude a port to non-Nintendo platforms, or it could just be a Lego City Undercover situation. I doubt anyone here knows for sure.

Nintendo never funded for Lego City Undercover. It's why LCU is being ported to other systems.

Nintendo funded Bayonetta 2. It was the only way the game could've existed. Bayonetta 2 is definitely a part of Nintendo's grasps.

jett

D-Member
Another(high score) does have a continuation and it leads here:

http://www.sega.com/14111219

FYg3rwE.gif

Cubas

April 11th seems too far away for the beginning of the countdown. Maybe it's actually the end of it? Idk.

Jawmuncher

Safe to say the first game is definitely coming to PC then. I would love to see the 2nd game make it as well. Before you quote this with a long ass post about nintendo and all that, I don't actually care if it does. I have no stake on if that game is forever locked to nintendo platforms. But the possibility is still interesting to think about.

Mrbob

Not happening unless Nintendo allows them to.

Bayonetta 2 is Nintendo's property.

Well it would be cruel for Nintendo to deny Sega some extra revenue. :p

That game can't die on the WiiU. I'd like to be able to play it elsewhere outside of emulation.

Ridley327

Bayonetta 2 Sigma on Steam believe.

Could Sega/Platinum add some stuff to Bayo 2 make it a new release?

I forget who it was that said it, but it sounded like that Platinum would have to be paid for the entirety of developing an entire new game in order to make a Bayonetta 2 happen without Nintendo. You might remember that this was essentially the issue with the GoldenEye remake that was eventually kiboshed, since it required Nintendo to sign off on all the level and mission design elements that they owned on top of everything else. In any event, Nintendo isn't about leave someone with wiggle room to Capcom their way out of a situation like that.

FoneBone

Nintendo owns Bayonetta 2 outright. WB retained ownership of LCU despite Nintendo publishing it, which is why it's now multiplatform (i.e. Nintendo's publishing contract expired). It's possible that Sega has purchased Bayonetta 2 from Nintendo, but I wouldn't consider it likely.

I hadn't noticed it before, but the copyrights indicate you're right--Bayonetta 2's copyright is credited first to Nintendo, whereas LEGO City's box indicates that TT Games has the copyright (with the exception of Nintendo material).

I think the Countdown is supposed to end on the 11th. Mark yer calendars folks, it's gon' be a hell of a ride until the 11th!

// countdown SETUP start
var setting = {
counter: {
lastDate: '04/11/2017 08:00:00', // target date settings, 'MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM:SS'
timeZone: PDT,
}
};
// countdown SETUP end

Moze

Banned
I just cannot imagine them being this awful for April fools. Why would they want to piss people off that much?

Cerium

That game can't die on the WiiU. I'd like to be able to play it elsewhere outside of emulation.
They'll probably release 1 and 2 on Switch, maybe to coincide with the Amiibo.

Nintendo owns Bayonetta 2 outright. WB retained ownership of LCU despite Nintendo publishing it, which is why it's now multiplatform (i.e. Nintendo's publishing contract expired). It's possible that Sega has purchased Bayonetta 2 from Nintendo, but I wouldn't consider it likely.

Ah, could be. Oh well!

MUnited83

For you.

At the very least, emulation will still be a great way to play it because CEMU is a ridiculously optimized emulator. You can play Bayonetta 2 right now at 4k60fps with even a mid-tier rig. They mostly need to find the audio issues with the game now and after that it will be close to perfect.

JayEH

Hope they port it to PS4 as well but what we really need the most is a platform where we can play Vanquish at 60 fps.

How is it not possible? Nintendo doesn't own Bayonetta.

See above - the copyright text suggests that Nintendo owns the game itself, even if the IP is still Sega's. With Lego City, WB/TT apparently retained rights to the game itself and Nintendo apparently only had timed exclusivity on the publishing rights.

Top Bottom