• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA releases new teaser video and reveals more details about PHANTASY STAR ONLINE 2: NEW GENESIS

Komatsu

Gematsu said:
Sega has released the opening movie for Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis.

Unlike the opening movies of Phantasy Star Online 2, which were created using pre-ordered videos, the opening movie of Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis was created using parts of the in-game graphics engine.

The opening movie showcases the new characters’ battles, high-quality character models, and the main theme vocals, which are in English.

Sega also debuted the latest information during a the “Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis Prologue 1″ live stream.

Click here to see the full article

Phantasy-Star-Online-2-New-Genesis-Slides-2020-12-19-20-001.jpg

Phantasy-Star-Online-2-New-Genesis-Slides-2020-12-19-20-002.jpg

Phantasy-Star-Online-2-New-Genesis-Slides-2020-12-19-20-003.jpg

Phantasy-Star-Online-2-New-Genesis-Slides-2020-12-19-20-008.jpg

IMAGES taken from Gematsu. (Related: SEGA needs a new graphic designer ASAP)

Kagey K

Banned
I’m still confused about this. This is just a next gen upgrade of PSO2 with some QOL enhancements right?

My Ark and his levels and stuff I’ve done all carry over?

I’m still confused about this. This is just a next gen upgrade of PSO2 with some QOL enhancements right?
PSO2: New Genesis is a separate game that will sit alongside standard PSO2; players will be able to toggle between the two. In an announcement post (link), SEGA provided some idea of what the two games will and won't share. Standard PSO2 is also supposed to receive some manner of graphical update.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
That’s fine and all, but I wish we could finally get an epic, big budget OFFLINE Phantasy Star adventure from Sega finally. It’s long overdo.
I grew up when Phantasy Star 4 debuted and sold for $100 at Babbage’s. Played the crap out of it and replayed it so many times that I did a playthrough where I leveled up characters to 99 just to see what happens (lots of bugs). I still replay it now and then, it’s like comfort food.

Frankly, few would buy an offline Phantasy Star game. Much like Skies of Arcadia, these kinds of titles and what makes them beloved by fans do not sell in huge volumes. Committing a huge budget to it sounds nice, but would be a terrible decision for Sega. They’d never make their money back.

That’s fine and all, but I wish we could finally get an epic, big budget OFFLINE Phantasy Star adventure from Sega finally. It’s long overdo.
You're my guy today.

I grew up on it too. I really wish they would go back to single player. The orginal PSO and the subsequent episodes were amazing but it sucks all they did was stick with online with this series. Such a massive disappointment.

Kagey K

Banned
PSO2: New Genesis is a separate game that will sit alongside standard PSO2; players will be able to toggle between the two. In an announcement post (link), SEGA provided some idea of what the two games will and won't share. Standard PSO2 is also supposed to receive some manner of graphical update.
Thanks for the info. It’s much different than I thought it was.

Excited to see this release.

Frankly, few would buy an offline Phantasy Star game. Much like Skies of Arcadia, these kinds of titles and what makes them beloved by fans do not sell in huge volumes. Committing a huge budget to it sounds nice, but would be a terrible decision for Sega. They’d never make their money back.
Maybe in action RPG form? The universe is fantastic, but I agree it likely can't follow the old formula.

Tesseract

Banned
played plenty of pso over the years, probably more than diablo 2

miss the original style and systems, gib remake or master that goes beyond schtserv

Meicyn

Gold Member
Maybe in action RPG form? The universe is fantastic, but I agree it likely can't follow the old formula.
I don’t think Sega would be willing to commit the resources to a purely offline PS game in the stylings that made us love the series in the first place. The older games were a little more... grounded compared to the hyper-frantic, garish presentation that PSO2 pushes. I mean, you watch the opening movie and the hunter does an olympic somersault because reasons and I’m just not feeling that at all. I’m obviously not the target audience.

I’ll probably give this game a shot if it ever hits PS5 in the US, but honestly anything oldschool PS is likely dead in the water. Since PS4 was the finale of the story in Algo, I’m fine with that being left alone. The Sega Ages remakes for the first two sold like crap on Playstation 2 so the chance for more remakes are pretty slim as well.

Last edited:

Komatsu

I don’t think Sega would be willing to commit the resources to a purely offline PS game in the stylings that made us love the series in the first place. The older games were a little more... grounded compared to the hyper-frantic, garish presentation that PSO2 pushes. I mean, you watch the opening movie and the hunter does an olympic somersault because reasons and I’m just not feeling that at all. I’m obviously not the target audience.

I’ll probably give this game a shot if it ever hits PS5 in the US, but honestly anything oldschool PS is likely dead in the water. Since PS4 was the finale of the story in Algo, I’m fine with that being left alone. The Sega Ages remakes for the first two sold like crap on Playstation 2 so the chance for more remakes are pretty slim as well.

Phantasy Star for the Master System is one of the first games I ever owned and I've followed the franchise for almost 3 decades now - like you, I love me some old star PS. That said, there is no reason whatsoever why tri-Ace, Gust and Idea Factory, B and C-level Japanese studios, can make niche single-player RPGs that make their money back in the West and SEGA, with much more solid means of marketing and distribution, couldn't do the same. They literally just shifted Yakuza from beat-them-up to classic JRPG and it sold like gangbusters.

The shift to Online in 2000 proved profitable and "Phantasy Star" became the flag-carrier franchise of SEGA's GaaS strategy. That said, they still release offline single-player Phantasy Stars: I bought Nova in Japan when it came out and it's a nice action RPG. They just haven't released those in the West lately, though Microsoft's intervention may change that. We are getting New Genesis almost at the same time as the Japanese, after all.

I recommend playing PSO2 if you have the time - there are a lot of nods to the Algo games and the plot is actually pretty interesting, lots of JRPG goodness if you know where to look. I am not fond of MMOs at all but I still play it occasionally to get that Phantasy Star fix.

Last edited:
Looks like PSO2: New Genesis is shaping up to be a sleeper hit. The closed beta impressions are glowing. I'm dying here waiting for a Xbox beta

There's a new game on the way this summer for the Phantasy Star Online franchise, and after playing the Closed Beta last weekend, we can say it's a major improvement not just for the series but free-to-play MMO's as well. Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis hits the sweet spot between overhauling a game for the modern era and still being recognizable through its core playstyle. It runs smoothly, looks gorgeous, is fun to play and has some new tricks up its sleeve for players to discover.

cireza

Banned
The closed beta impressions are glowing. I'm dying here waiting for a Xbox beta
I searched like a fool for an hour before understanding that it was PC only. Wanted to try this so much.

I have been playing PSO2 on Xbox on a regular basis since launch, great game and great partnership here with Microsoft.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why's the art style so generic, could have fooled me if you said it's xenoblade x 2 (which I also thought was more generic looking than chronicles/2). Not that it looks cheap or anything, like the way the world is laid out to make for interesting terrain seems nice (like xenoblade), just the core style.

Last edited:

Jeeves

Knowing nothing about the game, I'm sliiiiiiiiightly interested. But am I too spoiled by FFXIV to enjoy this?

Jeeves

I would say, at least give this game a try. Discard FFXIV and embrace this game
I'm willing to give it a try, I just want to know how much I would need to calibrate expectations. Could I expect this game to have taken notes from XIV or not really? I know some Japanese devs tend not to look much at even their most noteworthy competition, and suffer for it (see: FFXIV 1.0 for an example of that mistake).

Of course, I'm not looking for a carbon copy. I just have no idea what to expect at all and if there's someone familiar with both series, I want to hear from them.

Also...discard FFXIV? Hahaha, let's not get ahead of ourselves!

Valonquar

LOL it is no FFXIV. Way too many convoluted systems in place to cater to the F2P model and a whole lot of Sega Jank.

Top Bottom