• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Sammy confirms that Sega Dream Corporation has fully acquired Index (Atlus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QaaQer

prediction;

- some people from Sega or Atlus will say in coming week that this buyout won't change anything, business as usual etc....

- then 12+ months later, everything is dead.

( ≖‿≖)

Not one word about making quality games, just talk about maximum exploitation. Oh well.

Pretty sure this will also result in more Japanese-only output. Good thing GUST isn't being sold.

Jonnyram

OK, I get it... people are mad because Sega haven't localised PSO2, various Yakuza games, 7th Dragon, some Valkyria games, etc. etc.

Look at the alternatives, please, and tell me there is a better solution.

Square Enix: did not localise DQX, a whole bunch of DQM games, FF Type-0, a whole bunch of other minor titles
Namco Bandai: systematically destroyed every great franchise they had, apart from Tales, which seems to have a pretty random localisation record
Capcom: wouldn't it be awesome to have Persona and SMT outsourced to foreign developers for a great new take on classic Japanese titles?
Konami: see Namco Bandai

First parties would have sucked also.
Nintendo: occasionally likes to localise stuff, but they are random about this, and have a big WTF? element to which titles they decide to market appropriately.
Sony: well they may actually be interested in localising Japanese stuff these days, but their track record is far from great, where niche titles are concerned.
Microsoft: again, not a great track record in either localising or marketing Japanese titles overseas, and probably care even less nowadays based on their current lineup of Japanese exclusives.

Takao

Banned
At least with Sony we'd know if SCEA passed on a title it's up for grabs to third parties. We don't know if that's the case if SEGA.

Sandfox

OK, I get it... people are mad because Sega haven't localised PSO2, various Yakuza games, 7th Dragon, some Valkyria games, etc. etc.

Square Enix: did not localise DQX, a whole bunch of DQM games, FF Type-0, a whole bunch of other minor titles
Namco Bandai: systematically destroyed every great franchise they had, apart from Tales, which seems to have a pretty random localisation record
Capcom: wouldn't it be awesome to have Persona and SMT outsourced to foreign developers for a great new take on classic Japanese titles?

Nintendo: occasionally likes to localise stuff, but they are random about this, and have a big WTF? element to which titles they decide to market appropriately.
Sony: well they may actually be interested in localising Japanese stuff these days, but their track record is far from great, where niche titles are concerned.
Microsoft: again, not a great track record in either localising or marketing Japanese titles overseas, and probably care even less nowadays based on their current lineup of Japanese exclusives.

I wanted Marvelous to get Atlus but even then I think Namco Bandai would have been a decent choice though they probably would be a little too DLC happy.

IrishNinja

Jonnyram droppin truth bombs

Because fans raged at the very possibility of a persona on a 3ds lol on forums..

the day a major corporate decision is made off of that sort've thing, we get the world we deserve

I wanted Marvelous to get Atlus but even then I think Namco Bandai would have been a decent choice though they probably would be a little too DLC happy.

does Marvelous have that kinda cash/interest? real question here

So, does this mean we will see more or less games localized in the future?

L9G2ZoH.gif

ash_ag

This seems like it could be really good for Europe.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm not sure how happy Ghostlight and co. are about this, but at least now I feel more secure about Atlus games making it here if they do make it in the North America.

Now, if only Sega USA could learn some things from Atlus USA. Things like fanbase loyalty and the significance of small profit over no profit. That would be splendid.

Glass Rebel

rebels why exactly is this bad

I think being an entity separate from SEGA Corporation under the SEGA Sammy umbrella would have been better. Atlus is profitable but SEGA might not be interested in fully preserving their output. How will Atlus USA fit into this? Or this close relationship with NISA to publish their titles in Europe?

I think SEGA is way better than most other publishers right now but I can't help but be worried that it won't be an improvement for Europeans like me.

Takao

Banned
Even with Nintendo that was the case.

We don't know that either. The Operation Rainfall games they let XSEED pick up were the outsourced ones. They brought over the only internally developed one, and sent it to die with a tiny print run.

QaaQer

What part of Atlus requires "revitalization", their business model is a strong one: develop small games for their niche, but loyal fans, enjoying the sales and profits that come with it. Index went bankrupt due to less than legal business practices, Atlus suffers.

This is terrifying.
I'll try to remain calm and wait until the first set of games, under SEGA, to be announced. One good thing from this is Persona 5 could (also) be on PC.

Modest games for a niche audience that make a decent ROI is not something a big public corporation like Sega wants. They see the Atlus IPs as under-utilized, and are going to change things in an attempt to make more money off of those IPs. If they were going to keep things the same, they would have said so in the PR.

MarkusRJR

RIP Atlus.

Modern Sega is pretty horrible. I'm just going to imagine that the company went bankrupt than have to see how horrible it gets 2-3 years from now.

Hopefully Atlus USA exists still. I can't imagine Sega localizing any Atlus games. Plus I'd hate to see people lose their jobs.

fertygo

Would be nice if Gungho got them.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
RIP Atlus.

Modern Sega is pretty horrible. I'm just going to imagine that the company went bankrupt than have to see how horrible it gets 2-3 years from now.

Hopefully Atlus USA exists still. I can't imagine Sega localizing any Atlus games. Plus I'd hate to see people lose their jobs.
Mid-2000 SEGA is horrible. Modern SEGA is pretty okay.

spiritfox

Not particularly stoked about Sega's localization track record (still smarting about 7th Dragon), but cautiously optimistic.

AniHawk

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'm not sure how happy Ghostlight and co. are about this, but at least now I feel more secure about Atlus games making it here if they do make it in the North America.

Now, if only Sega USA could learn some things from Atlus USA. Things like fanbase loyalty and the significance of small profit over no profit. That would be splendid.

i don't know the last game ghostlight brought over, but nisa's brought the last four atlus games to europe (well, aside from smt iv for whatever reason).

atlus is also nisa's american distributor.

Soulhouf

I have so many conflicting questions and disastrous results in my head that I don't want to think about it anymore.

I hope for the best :(

Lesiroth

I like how people are pretending another console game publisher was the only option out there. Oh well, it's too late for that now.

Can't wait for Sega to make my Dreams come true!

The responses here would be very different if Square Enix, Capcom, or Microsoft won out.

The fact of the matter is that, for a person like myself who does not play many mainstream games of any kind (except for Tales games and for the DW/SW series which I refuse to buy new and early to support the company for because of my dislike of Koei Warriors) and who believes that the mobile side of the business was a huge draw, this news still isn't that good.

From an EO perspective, we don't even have news of another Elminage game coming out yet and I still don't know how good Demon Gaze is. That's a sad day. I may have never bough EO5 anyway depending on what it was like, but that future is even more uncertain.

Glass Rebel

i don't know the last game ghostlight brought over, but nisa's brought the last four atlus games to europe (well, aside from smt iv for whatever reason).

atlus is also nisa's american distributor.

NISA has yet to release Soul Hackers and Etrian Odyssey IV was released last month so it isn't that surprising that SMT IV hasn't been released yet.

This could actually be a really, really good thing. Sure, it's scary but Sega has been doing really well. Their profits are up and they've treated the Total War series and Company of Heroes guys pretty well. By no means were those games perfect do to some launch glitches but Atlus went off the market in 2010. This could breath fresh life into them for the PS4 era and others have said. This could look fantastic for Europe. Better than EA getting their grimy fingers on them. *shudders*.

Jeb

Best case scenario:
Persona 5 comes to PC.
Smartphone games are SMT I and II localized to US appstore.
Atlus USA picks up western release of Yakuza 5.

Worst case scenario:
Atlus USA dead.
Only thing that comes states side is Persona.
SMT is exclusive to japanese smart phones.

Am I getting this right?

Best case scenario:
Persona 5 comes to PC.

Worst case scenario:
Atlus USA dead.

Am I getting this right?
I honestly think that this acquisition is so Sega can market these guys to the US and Europe. Don't quote me but I have a feeling Atlus USA will stay open. At the very least in some form.

Nags

Banned
Because fans raged at the very possibility of a persona on a 3ds lol on forums..

I KNOW DUDE RITE?

LOLOLOL.

/sarcasm off

I'd rather the persona and smt series either die or just not get localized at this point. The fanbase is full of entitled children.

Best case scenario:
Persona 5 comes to PC.

Worst case scenario:
Atlus USA dead.

Am I getting this right?

Probabilty of Catherine sequel (or golden playhouse or what its called) : never

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom